• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston alt-right rally attracts 20 people, counter-protest estimated at 15,000

VariantX

There's one person on here. Every. Single. Time.

It's like there's a god damned bat-signal. Someone always wants to compromise in the face of something that will not compromise once it has the power to exert it's will without consequence. People are way too far removed from the lessons learned and the horrible price in lives paid the first half of the 20th century to even have the mindset to entertain this nonsense.

Slayven

It's like there's a god damned bat-signal. Someone always wants to compromise in the face of something that will not compromise once it has the power to exert it's will without consequence. People are way too far removed from the lessons learned and the horrible price in lives paid the first half of the 20th century to even have the mindset to entertain this nonsense.

You be surprised

TTOOLL

It's just dishonest when I say many times to protest on another day or another place to avoid conflict and people quote me or refer to me as if I said "stay at home, let the nazis do their thing".

It's false, it's dishonest.

Pic of the crowd:

2rTNanQ.jpg

wow

keep up the good work BostonGAF

Keep those cameras out

joe2187

Banned
It's just dishonest when I say many times to protest on another day or another place to avoid conflict and people quote me or refer to me as if I said "stay at home, let the nazis do their thing".

You cant change anything by avoiding conflict.

And holy shit, right wing is now Nazi? It's impossible to have a conversation this way.

If the KKK is there and "ring wing" people aren't trying to get them to leave, if a single Nazi flag or Nazi salute happens and the "right wing" isn't kicking them to the curb, they're just as bad.

Regular right wing people don't think it's okay to pal around with actual white supremacists.

Quixzlizx

It's true, it's honest.

My appreciation to the people of Boston for letting those Nazi fucks know they aren't welcome in a civilized city.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just so everyone knows, the crowd/event on the stream and in most pics right now is in Roxbury, two miles away from the Common, which is where the "free speech" rally is happening at noon. The crowd at the Common and during the march to it will be MUCH bigger.

In all seriousness be safe out there guys. You never know what those people are hiding. Keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

Please avoid violence. But if the Nazis hit first, then by all means hit back tenfold.
There are some fine people in slytherin
Grindelwald Did Nothing Wrong.

Ac30

Should go without saying but hide the chat. It's about 50/50 but I've seen enough "All Lives Matter and look at all these racists towards White people" for today.

I see that shit when I stream simple shit like Family Guy episodes on YouTube so that doesn't shock me that the alt-right trolls are out in full force today :/

TTOOLL

If the KKK is there and "ring wing" people aren't trying to get them to leave, if a single Nazi flag or Nazi salute happens and the "right wing" isn't kicking them to the curb, they're just as bad.

Regular right wing people don't think it's okay to pal around with actual white supremacists.

I agree with you.

Why protest on a different day? I should post the Martin Luther King quote because you want order not justice.

rjinaz

I see that shit when I stream simple shit like Family Guy episodes on YouTube so that doesn't shock me that the alt-right trolls are out in full force today :/

It makes me think, what would Left trolls be like? i mean both sides are supposedly the same right?

Trump is a Nazi!
Healthcare is a right!
Black Lives Matter!

How would people even make it through those types of comments?!

Sorry, I don't think you can read. I said the opposite of avoiding. I told you to protest, but on another day/place to avoid violence.

And holy shit, right wing is now Nazi? It's impossible to have a conversation this way.
You folks really don't get it do you. I have no idea why you post in these threads if all you do is shit on us low life peasant scum from your moral high ground of superiority.

At least the superiority and supremacy complex you have 100% in common with the Nazis. So congratulations on that.

TTOOLL by name, Tool by nature.

Advising people to avoid protesting Nazi's, niiiice.

Meh, liberal Boston mayor and leading civil rights organizations in Boston advocated the same... That counter-protesters not engage and go somewhere else to host a larger peace protest.

Blader

This is a thread about the counter protest in Boston today. I said I was going to satellite event. I think I've posted enough in OT that it'd be clear that I'm not a goddamn Nazi.

I think he was asking you on what side of the Cape your protest was happening, not what side of the protest (i.e. pro-Nazi or anti-Nazi) you were on.

Meh, liberal Boston mayor and leading civil rights organizations in Boston advocated the same... That counter-protesters not engage and go somewhere else to host a larger peace protest.

It's nice advice to give his city, but the people will counter protest and not hide for another day. All you got to do is go out there and drown them out.

rjinaz

I mean that makes sense coming from the city leadership it's their duty to protect the people above all else, or it should be. They don't want what happened last week to happen in their city. They have to take that stance.

That's because the city doesn't want any trouble. It's self-serving advice.

Sure it serves multiple purposes, but the Southern Poverty Law Center recommended that to Boston mayor Marty Walsh as the most effective way to combat White Nationalism. WHile the Mayor and city/state police want to protect people in the city and safety is their biggest concern (especially just a few years removed from a horrific terrorist attack about 2 miles from the Common), he didn't make it up just for self-serving reasons or to tacitly benefit nazis, he took civil rights leaders advice.

I think Walsh has done an admirable job with all of this so far, too.

zethren

Banned
Sorry, I don't think you can read. I said the opposite of avoiding. I told you to protest, but on another day/place to avoid violence.

That's not as effective, though. Having a counter protest right where the white supremacists and Nazis are will be the most effective way to turn out. If violence breaks out, that's something you have to expect when dealing with mother fucking nazis. Hopefully Antifa will be there to defend the protestors from the hate mongers, as well.

rjinaz

Sure it serves multiple purposes, but the Southern Poverty Law Center recommended that to Boston mayor Marty Walsh as the most effective way to combat White Nationalism.

I don't see how ignoring the problem makes it go away. It seems like that's how we got to where we are now, in particular in regards to racism in this country. Horrible advice as far as I'm concerned.

It's 2017 these people need to get with the times. They have a platform, it's called the internet. And every youth is on it.

Hope other Boston gaffers are safe during this. I can't make it due to prior obligations.

Why are they starting at the Roxbury crossing t stop though? It's pretty far from the Commons, walking, isn't it?

Maybe that's the point?

I don't see how ignoring the problem makes it go away. It seems like that's how we got to where we are now. Horrible advice as far as I'm concerned.

I think that SPLC, Walsh, Baker, and Healy wouldn't think it's ignoring it and hoping it goes away. They think it's the most affective way to combat white nationalism in their city/state. I think we're all ignorant of how much the KKK and White Nationalists benefited last week... While we get victories like Bannon being fired, Trump losing all credibility, and the Daily Stormer losing their web hosting, white nationalists like David Duke and the other KKK leaders feel like they won a major victory last weekend because that's all that happened. I don't think they did, but they do. SPLC, perhaps one of the most well respected civil rights organizations in the country and an organization that has been fighting the KKK for 40 years, has their positions for a reason... they're not trying to support white nationalists.

City hasn't been ignoring it either, they've all been super active in combating white nationalist extremism... Probably more than any other local politicians in the country. The city's handling of this has been really good so far... City didn't want to give these people a permit, but the courts ruled they had to, and even while they were caught off guard by it, they mobilized a ton of effort to make sure nobody gets killed like last weekend and that there's cameras everywhere.

I go either way. I considered going to the counter-protests today but I usually avoid them and put my effort elsewhere, but still support people who choose to go for the most part.

rjinaz

I think that SPLC, Walsh, Baker, and Healy wouldn't think it's ignoring it and hoping it goes away. They think it's the most affective way to combat white nationalism in their city/state.

They haven't been ignoring it either, they've all been super active in combating white nationalist extremism... Probably more than any other local politicians in the country. The city's handling of this has been really good so far... City didn't want to give these people a permit, but the courts ruled they had to, and even while they were caught off guard by it, they mobilized a ton of effort to make sure nobody gets killed like last weekend and that there's cameras everywhere.

I don't disagree with that. Seems like they are putting in good efforts to keep people safe.

Jeels

I don't see how ignoring the problem makes it go away. It seems like that's how we got to where we are now, in particular in regards to racism in this country. Horrible advice as far as I'm concerned.

It's 2017 these people need to get with the times. They have a platform, it's called the internet. And every youth is on it.

All the attention they get is a much bigger platform for them to spew their hate. Their numbers are small they should be ignored like the fringe they are.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I didn't tell you to do nothing. I said, protest another day, make your voice louder without putting on masks and creating conflict. Or, protest in another part of the city, far from the other rally.

Anyway, don't come crying on the internet later because you got hurt.

"Creating conflict"

Get the fuck out of here with that lie. You know goddamn well the Nazis are starting the conflict. They're the ones who murdered Heather Heyer without any provocation.

Your post is sickening. Do you not have any human decency?

Top Bottom