• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston alt-right rally attracts 20 people, counter-protest estimated at 15,000

BPD does deserve props. They're handled it pretty well considering and were prepared for the worst.

They also seem to be the only PD in the nation that can take down knife and gun threats without murdering people dead. Not that should need a props, but in 2017 it's something unfortunately.

Agreed they did their job well today. Allowed the nation to see most people will stand up against free speech that enables hate without any violence erupting. Also allows other cities to learn how to deal with political rallies in these tumultuous times

Now the stupid rally is over. The counter protesters should be as well. Don't stick around and cause trouble. Don't overshadow your victory with stupid violence.

As long as some contingent of self-professed anarchists and other groups show up, the potential for violence exists. Past demonstrations have shown that some people come to these things specifically looking for a fight with the police.

Nerazar

20 People lol..what is the estimate for the counter-protesters?

I hope it will always be 1000 to 1 or more in those cases. We had a far-right "demonstration" in Munich one year ago and around 50 people were "greeted" by thousands of counter-protestors.

That is the only way to show them that they cannot do what they want without peaceful opposition.

DHjTqjBXUAEZgSe.jpg

that sounds like censorship to me dog

"Please don't show your true face while we're under scrutiny! There will be plenty of time to be Nazis after we win!!!"

shiba5

While this is going on Trump is tweeting about "fake news". He could say something about the peaceful protest, but nope!

Caelus

Overhearing how this news was presented on television, hearing "free speech' rally over and over makes me sick to my stomach, I can imagine an uninformed viewer having the wrong kind of idea.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Trae Crowder was right. Last week only about 500 KKK dipshits could afford a bus ticket to Charlottesvile. They have already blown their budget.

Overhearing how this news was presented on television, hearing "free speech' rally over and over makes me sick to my stomach, I can imagine an uninformed viewer having the wrong kind of idea.

It’s not the wrong idea from the point of view of the organizers.

They were smart (ugh...) to call it a Free Speech rally because their opponents look like the bad guys to the uninformed or willfully ignorant.

It would be like calling your hate rally the “Puppies Deserve Kisses Rally.” Anyone who speaks up against it looks like a monster to those on the outside.

NekoFever

Right-wingers on Twitter are already pushing the angle that the counter-protesters were there to protest free speech.

watershed

Banned
Is it true that the "free-speech" rally people had their arms up in the Nazi salute? If so, so much for a "free-speech" rally. I saw a blurry video so I couldn't tell for sure.

LogicAirForce

Neo Member
Trae Crowder was right. Last week only about 500 KKK dipshits could afford a bus ticket to Charlottesvile. They have already blown their budget.

Trae Crowder, more like Bae Crowder amirite

seriously I'm glad this went well. Although I heard a few counter-protesters were arrested? But it's a crowd of 20,000 there is always gonna be shit-stirers with that many people. The important thing is the difference in crowd sizes, its good to be reminded that most Americans aren't complete pieces of shit.

Joe

Posted? Sign of the year contender

Edit: per post #446, this fantastic saying originates to at least the Women's March.

Image-684052.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
My only dream is that protests of this size show up whereever donald trump lays his head. Outside the whitehouse, at his rallies, outside trump tower, etc.

sphagnum

Banned
When will these idiots learn that free speech does not equal complete immunity from consequences and criticisms?

I was arguing with someone about this earlier today. I told him that free speech means the government can't lock you up for your beliefs, but other people can still criticize you. He thought freedom of speech meant you could say whatever you want and if anyone tried to shout you down they were oppressing you, and that the second amendment was the sole defense against government overreach.

Top Bottom