• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston alt-right rally attracts 20 people, counter-protest estimated at 15,000

Cyanity

Banned
The first step is making these people afraid to fly their nazi flags or wear their armbands in public again. The Charlottesville rally was a very bold display of outright nazi imagery from its participants. Stamping out their belief that they can get away with being publicly Third Reich-ass Nazi is only the first step, but an important one.

Yep. It's time to make racism shitty again.

mike6467

Can't stop. Every time they decide to hold an event they need to know this is what they'll be staring in the face. There wasn't mainstream awareness of Charlottesville (Edit: BEFORE it happened) and the support that was seen was still amazing. Going forward this should be the standard, our representatives need to see this and realize the people they're working for aren't the obscenely loud far right. Overwhelming numbers like this can't be ignored, no matter how Fox is spins it (no way I'm giving them page views right now).

Mr Swine

Banned
I wonder what Donny the Conartist will tweet now?

"See, the alt left are violent ones! We need to protect the alt right attack cost!

GutsOfThor

Trump: "I have the biggest crowds!"

Since then...
Women's March

March for Science

Immigration Ban Protest March

Charlottesville Vigil

It feels like we've been marching in protest ever since... and I see no signs of us slowing down.

That's great and all but I hope people show up when it really matters which is the voting booth.

NewDust

The best part about this is watching the mental gymnastics that pol is having to do. Before the Rally was set to begin they were touting how there was going to be 1,000 people attending, as the day went on and they started to realize that no one was really showing up they starting making excuses with some saying it was all a ruse and no one had planned on showing up anyway.

In hindsight I shouldn't submit to right-wing memery... So no jokes about wealthy persons, who some "people" believe might have funded (counter)protests.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The "free speech" group has left early

LOL

RinsFury

Sounds like the nazi cowards ran away. Nice work by all those attended and sent these evil fucks running for the shadows.

Red

Friends are telling me the flags have been taken down and the free speech people are leaving. We won guys.
Was there ever any doubt?

Watch this play out as an attack on the actual right to free speech in right wing media over the coming days.

MIMIC

Banned
Glad they were outnumbered. These assholes should ALWAYS be outnumbered, no matter where they go. Hell, start crashing their rallies in the woods.

rjinaz

DHjTqjBXUAEZgSe.jpg

that sounds like censorship to me dog
They believe they can accomplish their racists goals if they are less obvious about it and it will be effective because americans tend to only recognize the extremes

Future

And this is why you counter-demonstrate at the same place, at the same time. This is why you don't wait to politely hold your counter-demonstraition at a different time or different location.

Yup. Where is that poster that said you should stay home. This right here is exactly why you DONT

Don't run away from conflict if you have skin in the game

_Ryo_

Do all the rules and banned stuff in the OP also apply to the "free speech" Nazi fuckers as well as to the counter protesters?

sphagnum

Banned
lol the spin on right wing sites of course is "I can't believe how many people are coming out to protest against free speech!"

LiK

I'm staying away. Watched some stuff on local news. Counter protestor crowds are pretty huge already.

The Boston one isnt the one I'm worried about. There is one in Dallas tonight (that even goes into the night). The DFW area isn't horrible, that isn't what I'm saying, but down south here its much easier for the backwoods people to get here.

Cyanity

Banned
Part of being an activist is putting your personal safety on the line to prevent injustice. This is why we ALWAYS need to show up to these hate events and shout them down from the sidelines.

Do all the rules and banned stuff in the OP also apply to the "free speech" Nazi fuckers as well as to the counter protesters?
There was only monitoring of the alt-right. I just got off the subway and joined the crowd. They were under police supervision more so than police protection

lol the spin on right wing sites of course is "I can't believe how many people are coming out to protest against free speech!"

They certainly know what they're doing by calling these rallies "Free Speech" rallies. Of course the right wing sites parroting this false narrative are aware of what they're doing as well.

Jenov

So great that the nazis dumb hate rally was drowned out and now looks like it was taken over by counter protesters. Good work!

Garlador

That's great and all but I hope people show up when it really matters which is the voting booth.

I'm hoping so. Last election many got complacent. Hillary was a "shoe-in" and Trump wasn't seen as a credible threat by many. Heck, many switched TO Trump compared to Obama.

But his victory in the election, and all his actions sense, have had the one positive effect of lighting a fire under people who were sitting it out before or doing the "both sides are bad" excuse to justify their vote.

Now we have to work harder than ever to make a difference and unite the truly disenfranchised among us who have borne the brunt of Trump's hateful ideology.

NewDust

It's not spin... It's the entire reason it's called "free speech rally". In a way it doesn't even matter they only showed up with 20 or so people.

After last weekend I think it's going to be hard for them to protest in absolutely any city whatsoever. The entire country saw the violence and no one wants that stuff in their town. People will clamp down on the supremacist marches anywhere they go, and it's great that they will. Law enforcement was also clearly not amused.

"I'm freely expressing myself by telling you that you're hateful pieces of shit and want you to go home" is an equally perfect and valid use of the first amendment as celebrating nazism, btw, if anyone tries to argue with you about it.

I'm amazed how many people throw themselves under the banner of First Amendment protection without even realizing what the First Amendment is. It doesn't mean you're allowed to say whatever you want without any consequence.

Top Bottom