• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

bee

Lord-Audie said:
Nice

Was the framerate stable?

Are you running on Ultra with the texture pack?

running 1080p, all settings ultra, all patches applied, nothing forced through drivers, no custom cfg's. played for 10mins as i really don't like the game, didn't notice a single thing wrong with performance

kitch9

Banned
K, turn V sync on, game locks my tv at 24hz, turn it off game frees tv refresh rate but tears like fuck.

Most...... Annoying....... Bug....... Ever.......

Blizzard

Banned
kitch9 said:
K, turn V sync on, game locks my tv at 24hz, turn it off game frees tv refresh rate but tears like fuck.

Most...... Annoying....... Bug....... Ever.......
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is this something that D3DOverrider could help with? Turn vsync off ingame, turn forced vsync and triple buffering on in D3DOverrider.

oh man this totally murders my 5870. When water enters the equation FPS go to under 20 even! I dont know what i should upgrade my 5870 to now.

I wonder how much BF3 will kill it.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Let's see what happens to two 470s under water. OC'd to 810MHz each. I think they should handle it, but maybe not.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well I can actually quantify with somewhat certainty the performance hit.

My "test" was load up The dead man walking chapter where you walk out of "the wall street building" or w/e and look down at the soldiers down below and open fire.
Before ( dx9 ) : All settings max + custom config + 2x SGSSAA + 2x MSAA + d3doverrider the fps hovers between 55 and 60 depending on amount of action on screen. 60 when "calm"
After : All settings ultra ( max ) + high res pack + high motion blur +d3dovr., no custom config, no externally forced AA, fps hovers around 55 and 60 depending on amount of action on screen. 60 when "calm"

So in other words, dx11 goodies + high res texture ~ 2xSGSSAA ( in terms of performance hit ), which is gosh darn significant. So I understand people saying the hit feels big, because it is.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Why not? At least then we have the choice of how to tweak the game. That's part of what makes PC gaming so good.

I don't need to be given lesser visuals so I won't cry that I'm not getting a solid 60fps.

Couldn't have said it better.

The messed up reasoning some people use...

What kind of gpu do you have corky.
The hit may be significant but if the game is dialed down enough to run at 60fps 'maxed' with supersampling then the effects that create the hit are more than welcome.

Some info from that PDF DX11 'presentation':

Crysis 1 had a limited amount of textures, as scenes were composed mostly with vegetation, rocks and terrain. Crysis 2 features so many more textures than Crysis 1 that it would have required several DVDs to store them.
Thus, we now release a higher resolution textures upgrade as a free DLC, which features 2x increased resolution and this actually means 4x extra memory requirement. Thus a minimum of 1 GB memory for the graphics card and a 64-bit operating system is required. This pack of Hi-Res textures is available for both DX9 and DX11.

There we go. A valid reason for the lower res textures at release?

The DirectX 11 support, the Ultra spec and the extra graphical features introduced with the DX11 Ultra Upgrade come at a performance price: they added an additional overhead of ~30%. It now makes sense to expose more graphical options for the players to be able to fine tune the performance of Crysis 2 on their machine, especially for the owner of DX11 cards that do not appear in the current list of recommended graphics cards.

The owners of high end recommended graphics cards, such as the NVIDIA 480 GTX or equivalent, should be able to run the game with Ultra settings at a resolution of 1080p with an average frame rate of 35 fps.

However, we found out that the current hardware is still not fast enough to tessellate an entire world and there are fundamental issues with tessellation and displacement mapping that hardware vendors did not anticipate. These include visual glitches with decals, character foot IK and geometry intersections. Such issues were addressed by the Art department with a balanced usage of deferred decals and parallax occlusion mapping.

Peterthumpa

Corky said:
Well I can actually quantify with somewhat certainty the performance hit.

My "test" was load up The dead man walking chapter where you walk out of "the wall street building" or w/e and look down at the soldiers down below and open fire.
Before ( dx9 ) : All settings max + custom config + 2x SGSSAA + 2x MSAA + d3doverrider the fps hovers between 55 and 60 depending on amount of action on screen.
After : All settings ultra ( max ) + high res pack + high motion blur +d3dovr., no custom config, no externally forced AA, fps hovers around 55 and 60 depending on amount of action on screen.

So in other words, dx11 goodies + high res texture ~ 2xSGSSAA ( in terms of performance hit ), which is gosh darn significant. So I understand people saying the hit feels big, because it is.
What's the difference between the 2? The external AA?

Corky

felipepl said:
What's the difference between the 2? The external AA?

That's the biggest difference yes. And that kind of AA really creams gpus usually.

Peterthumpa

Corky said:
That's the biggest difference yes. And that kind of AA really creams gpus usually.
Hm... what's your setup? If you kept your FPS by only enabling the in-game AA and got the nice boost in quality and effects, I think that the tradeoff is well worth it.

Kyaw

The owners of high end recommended graphics cards, such as the NVIDIA 480 GTX or equivalent, should be able to run the game with Ultra settings at a resolution of 1080p with an average frame rate of 35 fps.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Time for a second 480?

Also, is the in-game AA still blurry? (vaseline filter)

Corky

felipepl said:
Hm... what's your setup? If you kept your FPS by only enabling the in-game AA and got the nice boost in quality and effects, I think that the tradeoff is well worth it.

2600@4.5
SLI 560 Tis@900

Sure one can definitely argue that, though that wasn't really the point of my test :). The point was just to shine light on "how big of a hit" all these new settings combined produce in a random location of the game. But again keep in mind that sgssaa is a performance killer, so in other words these settings introduce quite the performance hit.

So if you patch up and not get the texture pack, will the game perform better with your old current settings or show any improvements? I rather tweak the game slowly up while trying to maintain high framerate instead of jumping in with everything cranked up and getting dissapointed

Smokey

Crytek said:
The DirectX 11 support, the Ultra spec and the extra graphical features introduced with the DX11 Ultra Upgrade come at a performance price: they added an additional overhead of ~30%. It now makes sense to expose more graphical options for the players to be able to fine tune the performance of Crysis 2 on their machine, especially for the owner of DX11 cards that do not appear in the current list of recommended graphics cards.

Motherfu....

Maybe get another 580 for SLI sooner than I thought...the precussor to BF3 on PC.

Will be starting the game over on Ultra + high res pack !

scitek

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Holy fuck!!!

Every naysayer in this thread should:

1) watch this in 720p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8fU2RWyK4&feature=youtu.be

2) read this:

https://secure.mycrysis.com/sites/default/files/support/download/c2_dx11_ultra_upgrade.pdf

Really now. The amount of GFX uberstuff they added is mindblowing. This is way, way, way over PS360 versions of Crysis 2. It would run @ 2 fps on consoles.

This is NEXT-GEN.

What's funny is I'm getting 30fps with constant 20s at 1080p when there's a lot of tessellation, and that's pretty much the same as the console versions. :p

vilmer_

After playing through a bit more, just wow... Crysis has taken back the graphical crown. In fact, I don't think it ever left. This is unbelievable :eek:

epmode

vilmer_ said:
After playing through a bit more, just wow... Crysis has taken back the graphical crown. In fact, I don't think it ever left. This is unbelievable :eek:
Too bad it's no longer on Steam! I'll probably bite if it's brought back.

Peterthumpa

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, dem graphics.
I need to leave work immediately. But I can't =(

Is the water really like the one in the trailer? That shit look pre-rendered.

LovingSteam said:
Can we get some gifs in here?

How about dx9 vs dx11 comparisons? (found online)

1579g.jpg

2b74e.jpg

3j7i3.jpg

4g7w9.jpg

5u7mt.jpg

6c765.jpg

7j7tm.jpg

877rs.jpg

9r7r3.jpg

10i730.jpg

11k7f7.jpg

12n759.jpg

13g7zx.jpg

14r7tw.jpg

15n7dt.jpg

169746.jpg

17c7wb.jpg

18d7y3.jpg

Kyaw

Interfectum said:
i'm guessing a 570 GTX should be able to do 60fps on ultra, correct?

If the 480 can't, the 570 can't.

Weird thing is the game is letting me choose all Ultra with a GTX285. I'm gonna look for DX11 features even though I highly doubt they'll be there lol. Over 30fps @ 1680x1050 with the new DX9 features, contact shadows, realtime local reflections and high res textures. I'm not sure how much higher I am since I capped the game at 30.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Interfectum said:
i'm guessing a 570 GTX should be able to do 60fps on ultra, correct?

Not even close. I'm on a factory OC'd GTX 570 and it sometimes dips into the 20's.

KKRT00

We need screen from night gameplay and from explosions. We saw tessellation already, shows us now water, particles, shadows and motion blur :)

Ps. Any info if some effects are working on DX 10 cards?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
sp3000 said:
I'm disappointed POM is now DX11 only. Looks DX10 has been totally forgotten even though it supported it.
Try turning on DX11. If it was coded properly it will work fine on a DX10 card and all features possible on DX10 will be used. DX11 was built to be backwards compatible.

Top Bottom