• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

q2ypk.jpg

FEZ t-minus-one-day.

Not doing it. I have avoided all media on the game and am only interested because of word of mouth from my friends. Can't wait to go in blind with no expectations.
It's of the beginning of the game, most of it is seen in the trailers. I skipped through one of the puzzles, but nothing too spoilery really.

Nintaiyo

I'm going to repost some concerns I posted in another Fez thread because by the time I had posted it, the thread had kind of died down.

I'm not entirely sold on the perspective shifting mechanic. It seems like the gameplay might not be satisfying due to trial and error. It's not really apparent in that video because it's a guided playthrough, but I feel like the shifting will just be "try shit and see what works." From what I saw, there's no perspective in the z-axis of the levels (which I realize is integral to the shifting mechanic), so there's no way to tell where the platforms will move when you shift the perspective, resulting in trial and error. I could see this getting frustrating. I won't dismiss the game entirely, though. I'm just not convinced.

I absolutely love the satisfaction of solving puzzles in games like Braid. I feel like I won't get that kind of a feeling from this game. But maybe that's not even what Fez is aiming at.

aegies

Or whatever.

really?

Hi Arthur,

There has been a change in the embargo date for “FEZ.” Full reviews of the game may be posted tomorrow, Wednesday, April 11, at 9:00 a.m. ET (6:00 a.m. PT).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
[redacted]

Are you going to make me take a screenshot of my inbox?

I'm going to repost some concerns I posted in another Fez thread because by the time I had posted it, the thread had kind of died down.

I absolutely love the satisfaction of solving puzzles in games like Braid. I feel like I won't get that kind of a feeling from this game. But maybe that's not even what Fez is aiming at.
I think the puzzles are scratching similar itches, from what I've seen. Braid was difficult, in that it was designed to be a "long term challenge", how much of that in Fez is to be seen. What we do know is that Fish didn't want there to be resistance between the game and the player. I feel like I experimented with the toys in Braid, and hope I'll experiment with the perspective in this game similarly.

I see Fez's primary goal as exploring places though.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Shit man, now the hype just shot up all of a sudden.

What sucks is that I had a meeting planned for today that I had to slide over to tomorrow, because I woke up with a terrible headache, damn it. Now I won't be free all day tomorrow.

motbob

Neo Member
videogamer.com -- 9

Perhaps more appealing than the brain teasers is Fez's mesmerizing setting. I'm not usually a fan of low-fi aesthetics for the sake of looking retro, and initially Fez might resemble an 8-bit throwback, but upon closer inspection it's a finely detailed world simply made out of cubes with scenery as varied, atmospheric, and inspired as any triple-A title I've played. I'm reminded of what Roger Ebert said about black & white films looking more dreamlike and mysterious than their colour counterparts. That same notion applies to games where I've become accustomed to them looking more or less like reality, and this impressionist rendition of lost cities, ancient ruins, floating islands, lonely lighthouses, and foreboding graveyards is vastly more striking.

Unfortunately I think that video kind of convinced me not to buy the game. I think I share a lot of gaming tastes with Jeff, and while I love the look of this game, I just don't think I'm going to find that gameplay highly enjoyable. Jeff comments on being stuck not knowing what to do next, and even feeling the need to take notes to keep track of what's going on. Doesn't sound like my type of game.

Unfortunately I think that video kind of convinced me not to buy the game. I think I share a lot of gaming tastes with Jeff, and while I love the look of this game, I just don't think I'm going to find that gameplay highly enjoyable. Jeff comments on being stuck not knowing what to do next, and even feeling the need to take notes to keep track of what's going on. Doesn't sound like my type of game.

He followed it up with a tweet saying that he was overthinking it:

Gerstmann said:
Finished Fez. Turns out I was waaaay overthinking everything, though the secret stuff definitely appears to be, well, secret.

Although the QL turned me off as well. I guess I don't see what's so special...? Then again, I never really joined the hype. I was only aware of it from a distance, and what I'm seeing doesn't really justify my perception of the hype.

Magnalon

Neo Member
Jeff comments on being stuck not knowing what to do next, and even feeling the need to take notes to keep track of what's going on. Doesn't sound like my type of game.

If you have half a brain, you will not have this problem. I had about five minutes of head scratching, then went to an obvious place where I had not gone to before, and I quickly found an entirely new world to get cubes in.

It's not as difficult as Jeff makes it seem, and the map is right there, clear as day, to help you. In fact, the map is so good, that when you ENTER an area, it tells you every single thing you can get in that area. It doesn't get more obvious than that.

What Jeff didn't seem to get initially is that yes, he was over thinking it. You can spend literally an hour trying to figure out one puzzle in the game -- but you could just as easily leave that room and go explore the rest of the world, map in hand.

see5harp

No idea why I was quoted then...or whether they are discussing the game...

Apologies, I assumed everyone was familliar with the twitter antics and I remember you were the one saying "this looks like a boring trial and error platformer." I was the one that said it looked more like a puzzle platformer like Braid. No disrespect intended.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
After 5 years of being in dev, I don't think it could be any less than this.

Seems that unlike most cases, the game was quite refined early on, then layered on top with more refinements - based purely on the reviews I read.

I'll have to check out the demo. Defo got my reservations on Fish as a guy, but if the game really is this good, I'd be an idiot not to play the damn thing. Especially as I adore puzzle platformers.

DaBuddaDa

Any further impressions regarding framerates, loading times etc?

Framerates hitch every now and then in specific places. Loading times aren't bad but increase the longer you play; there is a memory leak somewhere. Crashing has occurred for some but not everyone. There is a patch being worked on to fix a few of these issues. Overall it's perfectly fine but not perfect.

Beaulieu

the game coming out yesterday, heres my advice;

DO NOT read anything to help you on the internet about this game. It's immensly satisfiing solving puzzles by youself. People that love puzzle games and myst-style games will love to solve the puzzles by themself.

I just solved a puzzle I was thinking about for the last three days. Feels good man.

edit : its possible to finish the game without doing any of the harder puzzles, btw

Diamond

It's a reference to the way Phil Fish (Fez's artist) has responded to people on Twitter who disagree with him on various issues. Nothing to do with you.

To be fair, the actual only message he responded to with this charming tweet was this one. And the guy apparently created this account just to say this. So it was a little bit more than just "disagreeing", even if we agree Fish surely hasn't handled the whole issue very well. :)

Hope the actual quality of the game will help to focus on more interesting things.

Larsen B

That Eurogamer review is two 5/10 reviews taped together.

I was exciting about Fez, and then went cold on it, and now I'm excited again. It'll be a nice Friday treat.

I guess now I'm going to have to decide if I finally delete one of my staples on my 360. Still rocking the launch 20GB HD and I've had to delete all games that I don't play on a regular basis. Kind of want to try it out. Haven't even bought a 360 game in years because I'm out of space. Ah, I'll probably buy it anyway. It's going to suck if I like it though because I'll have to constantly delete and download my other games I still play.

I guess now I'm going to have to decide if I finally delete one of my staples on my 360. Still rocking the launch 20GB HD and I've had to delete all games that I don't play on a regular basis. Kind of want to try it out. Haven't even bought a 360 game in years because I'm out of space. Ah, I'll probably buy it anyway. It's going to suck if I like it though because I'll have to constantly delete and download my other games I still play.

Do you have a USB stick you could use?

Top Bottom