• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

pulga

Banned
Mourinho: We have beaten one of the best teams in history in Barcelona

The Special One said:
"We have beaten one of the best teams in history, but which some 'luminaries' say play the only football that exists," he told Portuguese television channel SIC after the win at San Mames.

"These are the people who only know football by Google, who type things into the computer and absorb knowledge but football is more than that. We have played spectacular football, scored many goals and achieved a lot of victories."

|OT10| One style to rule them all, one style to unite them, one style to piss them off and with cattenacio smite them.

OR

|OT10| lol Google taught Barca how to play

Fuck me just reading a thread in ot that evillore got offered £5m for gaf plus a salary for him and a team of his choosing

I had no idea it could be worth that

Edit Cisses goal was better than Rooneys shinner

pulga

Banned
Fuck me just reading a thread in ot that evillore got offered £5m for gaf plus a salary for him and a team of his choosing

I had no idea it could be worth that

Edit Cisses goal was better than Rooneys shinner

Good thing I don't own this thing, i'd sell all your asses off.

Kyoufu

I would have taken the money personally, but that's because I'm all about the money. I will score goals for the highest bidder.

Very admirable to not take the bag of money. Kudos.

There are better goals than that Rooney one but it was still pretty special. Definitely the best goal I ever had the honour to see live. The best bit about it was the City fans were chanting "You can only score in brothel" literally 10 seconds before he scored it.

Was quite a moment.

There are better goals than that Rooney one but it was still pretty special. Definitely the best goal I ever had the honour to see live. The best bit about it was the City fans were chanting "You can only score in brothel" literally 10 seconds before he scored it.

Was quite a moment.

Tbf, Rooney was playing like utter shite for quite a while up until that goal.

Meier

I would have taken the money personally, but that's because I'm all about the money. I will score goals for the highest bidder.

Very admirable to not take the bag of money. Kudos.

I think the fact he didn't sell it just means he thinks it's worth more. The condo he has here in Austin probably cost at least a million or more given what I've seen from the market. I'd guess he must be making hundreds of K per year doing essentially nothing.

Clegg

If that's true, that is fucking insane.

Evilore:
I get major corporate buyout offers on about a monthly basis these days. I usually blow them off before we talk too much about details, but the one time I didn't (out of curiosity) I was offered about five mill up front, retention of autonomy for running the site, personal salary and additional salaries to allocate to a full site staff of my choosing, large performance-based yearly bonuses, and the ability to step away whenever I felt like it.

Why he didn't take the money:
I would be trading my life's work for a bag of money. Yes, I get the bag of money, but I lose what actually matters to me. Also the site would not survive a corporate buyout in its current form, one way or another, no matter how many assurances are made. Autonomy does not equal ownership. Things would change. The site's name could change, it could be integrated into a network of sites for strategic purposes, the layout would change to facilitate more advertisements (the aforementioned ad reskins every company loves), orders could come down from above at any time for any reason, etc. I'm not naive.

All that stuff would break my heart, and no number of Ferraris and full body massages from supermodels could fix it, and I don't want my heart broken ;b

There's something special about owning something, and taking responsibility for it and guiding it, and seeing the result of your work and your decisions every day. Kind of like raising a child.

Carbonox

I think the fact he didn't sell it just means he thinks it's worth more. The condo he has here in Austin probably cost at least a million or more given what I've seen from the market. I'd guess he must be making hundreds of K per year doing essentially nothing.

Dat Evilore.

Oh I'd imagine it is worth considerably more. It just doesn't make any sense at all for him to sell right now given financial climate, his age and aspirations. Excepting a catastrophic reversal in fortunes, he can keep doing what he loves and sell it later for so much more.

dc89

Sheeeeit. If I owned GAF and was fairly wealthy I'd have a box at City.

I'd also fly Fady over to meet him and sip some fancy drink at a City V Chelsea game.

When did we start talking about michael Owen?

dc89

Awesome opinion piece on the whole "City are buying the title" argument which is more often not spouted by United fans.

Highlights:

The problem that United fans have got is that, under the austerity of the Glazers, they HAVEN’T bought the title, as they have been doing for the past 20 years.

In the history of English football, United have broken the transfer record five times. City have done it three times – and one of those was on super-flop Steve Daley 32 years ago.

Under Sir Alex Ferguson, the Reds have set new highs in the transfer market to bring in Andy Cole (£7million), Juan Veron (£28.1million) and Rio Ferdinand (£29.1million). Since the Abu Dhabi takeover, City have done it twice, on Robinho (£32.5m) and Sergio Aguero (£38m).

And if that is not enough, United’s team on Monday contained the most expensive goalkeeper in English history, as well as the most expensive defender and the most expensive teenager, not forgetting the fact they had a £30million striker sitting unused on the bench.

Monday’s game pitted a £300million squad against a £250million squad, hardly prosperity versus poverty.

When Fergie won his first league title in 1993, it came on the back of a £6.75million spending spree on Gary Pallister, Danny Wallace, Neil Webb, Paul Ince and Mike Phelan. That sounds like peanuts today, but in 1989 it represented a huge outlay.

Perhaps only Arsenal could claim to have won the title on anything resembling a budget, but they also spent big ahead of their title successes, splashing out over £20million on talent such as Marc Overmars, Patrick Vieira and Emmanuel Petit in 1996.

Wenger has a reputation as a manager who doesn’t spend, but he has flashed the cash when necessary – remember Thierry Henry (£10.5m), Sylvain Wiltord (£13m), Jose Reyes (£13m) and a chap called Samir Nasri (£15.8m)?

City didn’t ruin football, as some sniffy fools have suggested. They have just joined the game, and started to play by rules not of their own making.

That's just the tip of the ice berg.

Lol.

City fans will just never get it.

Anyway, I don't care about the money they spend, they have it and they have to...but those "highlights" do not address the key point...which is where the money comes from.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Yes there is a difference when one team doesn't get it's money through an oil daddy. Hasn't United earned a lot of its money by being one of the most popular teams in the world and through its success?

dc89

546824_10150791610775312_738480311_11569032_1393511261_n.jpg

My Arsenal supporting friend made that for me. I don't know what emotion to feel.

Yeah, it's just numbers, it's all relative.

Veron ROFL. I can't believe he was that amount of money back in 2001, that's the scary thing.
He was one of the world's best players at the time.

There were pretty big transfer fees going around even back then; Zidane, Figo and Crespo all moved for more than him around the same time.

Still a massive flop though, a shame.

Yen

Yeah, it's just numbers, it's all relative.

Veron ROFL. I can't believe he was that amount of money back in 2001, that's the scary thing.

Veron was one of the best midfielders in Serie A, if not THE best.
All I remember of him at Utd was scoring a cracking volley in the Champions League...in September (bizarre memory)

dc89

He was one of the world's best players at the time.

There were pretty big transfer fees going around even back then; Zidane, Figo and Crespo all moved for more than him around the same time.

Still a massive flop though, a shame.

Sorry, I'm rofl'ing at the wrong person. I got confused with Djemba-Djemba. "The successor to Roy Keane"

Clegg

I don't really give a shit about the whole "City bought the title"argument , but United and Citys circumstances are completely different.

United were able to make expensive purchases because of their success and their massive fanbase. City had it handed to them and fair play, they're making the most of it.

Veron wasn't totally crap at United. He was a standout in our Champions League games but he never really settled into the PL. He was one of the best players in the world at the time. He was on the same level as Zidane while they were in Serie A together.

I don't really give a shit about the whole "City bought the title"argument , but United and Citys circumstances are completely different.

United were able to make expensive purchases because of their success and their massive fanbase. City had it handed to them and fair play, they're making the most of it.

Veron wasn't totally crap at United. He was a standout in our Champions League games but he never really settled into the PL. He was one of the best players in the world at the time. He was on the same level as Zidane while they were in Serie A together.
This is him.

Manchester-United-Eric-Djemba-Djemba-cropped

Top Bottom