• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

elseanio

eduQ8.png
i58kbwnqK7CN4.gif

WkEWE.jpg
kSHZT.jpg

RFQyK.jpg
T0ccd.jpg

OsyI9.jpg
eLhb0.jpg

Will definitely have a banner for next OT. If anyone wants to make one, feel free.

For all your Soccer related talk, there is a separate thread for the MLS here

idH9vE6Wycd8m.png
Follow FootyGAF - Twitter list (thanks to Awesome Animals) #FreeJeff

GAF Football News Centre (These images will update with the latest news from Twitter each time you visit this post or refresh the page)

bbcfootball1-fs.png
skysports-fs.png
guardian_sport-fs.png

guillembalague-fs.png
tonybarrettimes-fs.png
philmcnulty-fs.png

GAFfers' Clubs - which team is the best supported on GAF? Link to a single post that I can hopefully update as well
AC Milan - dschalter, Jabo, TheLucifer, Fady K
Ajax - Arjen, FeD.nL, Wessiej, Fady K
Arsenal - 90TilInfinity, Anderson, Baconsaurus, Boozeroony, colonisation, DangerousMali, DOBERMAN INC, Dibbz, Freewheelin', Ghouse, Ingeniero, Jason Raize '75 - '04, Judderman, Kweh, Lightning, omgkitty, pix, Plasma, Salvadora, Fady K
Aston Villa - Awesome Animals, rodvik, Wes, Fady K
Athletic Bilbao - sneaky77, Fady K
Barcelona - FootballFan, Messi, OriginalThinking, Verano, Fady K
Bayern Munich- Antioch, Blablurn, elsk, Fry8, Hasphat'sAnts, Hieberrr, kingslunk, Nemic77, spidye, Fady K
Benfica - Andrefpvs, DyonPT, rvy, ThaneKrios, Fady K
Besiktas - besiktas1, Silphatos, Fady K
Blackburn - Jeff Albertson, Fady K
Borussia Dortmund - Phantast2k, Fady K
Celtic - Sage00, Fady K
Chelsea - Fintan, flintstryker, Gaaraz, GQman2121, Help Me!, JWong, Kylehimself, PrematureQuiche, SenorDingDong, steverulez, xintin, Outsanity, TrueBlue, Fady K
Club Deportivo Guadalajara - Regulus Tera, Fady K
Copenhagen - Woodenlung, Fady K
Corinthians - seabee, Fady K
Deportivo La Coruña - Jabo, Fady K
Eintracht Frankfurt - thy_, Fady K
Everton - faridmon, sazabirules, Temrer, Fady K
Fenerbahce - UV-6, Fady K
Fulham - xbhaskarx, Fady K
Hamburger SV - The_Joker, Fady K
Huddersfield Town - Cindres, Fady K
Juventus - .Shodan, Charles, fadetoblack, Rikkun, Shake Appeal, Smeghead, Yurt, Zabojnik, Fady K
Leeds United - amitaiwinehouse, Fady K
Liverpool - Arnie, ATF487, bjaelke, bonesmccoy, CaramaC, Cerebral Assassin, danwarb, Dark Machine, Darth Sonik, DJmizuhara, elseanio, Feorax, Fry8, FuturusX, jamieson87, K444WSR, labadal, Mastadon, MarshMellow96, odd_morsel, operon, PaulLFC, PJX, Seep, severin, Shogun PaiN, Skoptsie, sohois, tri_willy, Vard, Yenrot, Fady K
Malaga - tolkir, Fady K
Man City - BattleMedic, confuziz, dc89, Manager, Meier, Fady K
Man Utd - Ashes1396, BLSwagger10, blurrygil, Brinbe, Cyport, Desmond, doicare, DominoKid, Dynoro, elfinke, Fëanor, Grover Cleveland, Jburton, K1LLER7, kharma45, KidA Seven, LabouredSubterfuge, LanceVance, magnificent83, MrPing1000, pappe, pslayer666, Requiem, Salazar, Slizz, Snaku, Stubo, The Friendly Monster, Tim the Wiz, Tunic, Vivalaraza, Wilbury, WJD, yella, Fady K (Fady can't hate)
Newcastle - Carbonox_Ratchet, choodi, Chriswok, JesusTom, Keio, Kyoufu, offshore, Shahed1987 Willkiller, Fady K
New York Red Bulls - Judderman, Fady K
Olympiakos - gate777, Fady K
Palermo - Joe, Fady K
Porto - El Tigre, Letters, RaGe_pt, tonitoni, Fady K
QPR - Polari, Fady K
Reading - immy, Fady K
Real Madrid - Anastacio, bud23, Madridy, MPW, Noirulus, PantyPhantom, Spanish Wrath, Fady K
Schalke 04 - Sveitadurgur, Fady K
Sheffield Wednesday - Mat C, Fady K
Southampton - IamMikeside, Fady K
Sporting CP - BLSwagger10, LFMartins86, Fady K
Sunderland - HixxSAFC, madmackem, The Super Bob, Fady K
Tottenham - Bungieware, Clydefrog, near, NeoTB1, Scum, sefskillz, Ushojax, zomgbbqftw, Fady K
West Ham United - MidnightRider, Fady K

Let me know your team and I'll add you to the list (PM works better than posting in the thread).

General Information / FAQs
Football - Wikipedia
Statto - League tables as they were at a chosen time of the season, plus form tables, goals etc
Who Scored? - Live match statistics plus stats archive
101 Great Goals - Quick video updates for goals scored across the world.

elseanio

IRC chat provided by Wes, used on match days for when 60 seconds between posts is just too long to wait.
server: studio64.yi.org
channel: #football
Mibbit link if you don't have a dedicated IRC application.

Fantasy Leagues for the season! We have two version: Just for fun free version, open to everyone, and then a paid version, open to those who want a prize to keep them motivated.

Enter the free one by quoting this post (to reveal the league code in EMAIL tags)

Enter the paid one by contacting The_Hitcher. Entry is £5, with the prize money so far at £130. Discussion is ongoing between all members about how prize money should be split.

teams for the paid league are as follows:

The_Hitcher89///Stark FC
PrematureQuiche///PrematureQuiche FC
Arnie///LSD Eindhoven
elseanio/// Sporting Lisbonjela
LegoArmo///BASED-in-Newcastle
BLSwagger10///Puff Puff Shoot
Joe///Holy Cannoli
Jeff Albertson///Jeff FC
Vivarazala///Vivalaraza
Awesome Animals///JTgate
choodi///Fatman United (choodi)
odd_morsel///Bacon of Hope FC
Freewheelin'///FreeWheelin FC
Spanish Wrath///Vuvuzela BRRRRFC
kharma45///Leave My Arcelona
Anderson///UnAthletic FC
Swance///Swance's Sexy Squad
WoodenLung///Voyeurs Young Boys
the walrus///TheWalrus
Kylehimself///kylehimself
WJD///WJD FC
PaulLFC///Racing AbbeyNational
Snoopen///Arse FC
Keio///FC Voitto
Wilbury///JTbury FC
Sage00///Crystal Phallus

Clegg

@OfficialTMCD1

Arsene Wenger adamant he won't sell RVP to #mufc The clubs owners happy for the player to remain and see out his contract. United are aware of the situation and even a bid of £20m + MIGHT not do it such is Wenger's stance. RVP relaxed with the situation.
No more.

This transfer saga has broken me.

Think your being a bit unfair on the lad to be honest. Not many people look good in a David Moyes side and it's common knowledge that youth players don't enjoy their time working with him due to his lack of trust and how heavily he expects players to carry out his game plan. Rodwell has struggled with injuries like you say but whenever he's managed to put a run of games together he has looked decent.

City have the money to take risks but it's one that could see them pick up a utility player that could play for the club for the next decade.

Phil Jones is a strange one for me - Not sure if he has enhanced his reputation during his Man Utd career or damaged it. He went to UTD a promising player who could play in a variety of roles yet now nobody wants to see him in midfield and he's a bit suspect at the back. Personally think Smalling is the better player.
Agree with most of that.

On Rodwell - He could yet come good, I just think even at £15m, City could have done alot better.

On Jones - I too prefer Smalling. However Jones finished the season quite badly and that is what most people are remembering. His first 3 months really were great and he looked brilliant. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the coming season because he does have great potential but clearly has much to learn. Smalling is far more consistent but when Jones plays well, he is class.

kharma45

Agree with most of that.

On Rodwell - He could yet come good, I just think even at £15m, City could have done alot better.

On Jones - I too prefer Smalling. However Jones finished the season quite badly and that is what most people are remembering. His first 3 months really were great and he looked brilliant. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the coming season because he does have great potential but clearly has much to learn. Smalling is far more consistent but when Jones plays well, he is class.

People only remember the bad, see Jonny Evans.

ShogunX

I do remember Jones having the ability to carry the ball a good distance on a marauding run that normally ended in a close shot. Strangely seemed to see less of that at the end of the season like you say.

Where exactly do you think his best position is? He seems a bit small to be a permanent fixture at CB.

jtb

Banned
can you add me to Arsenal supporters in the OP?

also, a part of me hopes RVP stays... not because we need him or his greedy, injury prone ass, but because it would finally be a statement of intent. An unlike a Flamini situation, the replacements are already here and would (hopefully) use this time as a chance to settle. plus, 4-4-2.

and if the only way Sahin comes to ARsenal is on a permanent move with buy back clause, I'd say no. No need to add yet another pointless transfer saga before it even begins. Loan + buy option, or just go for M'Vila imo. Still would be very disappointed/surprised if he went for Liverpool instead of ARsenal though.

kharma45

I do remember Jones having the ability to carry the ball a good distance on a marauding run that normally ended in a close shot. Strangely seemed to see less of that at the end of the season like you say.

Where exactly do you think his best position is? He seems a bit small to be a permanent fixture at CB.

He is a bit short for it I guess, but I can't see him taking RB over Rafael, at least not at this stage.

Hard to call where he'll end up playing, CB does seem his 'natural' position.

He's taller than Puyol, mind.

Clegg

I think he lost confidence during the second half of the season as he began making more and more mistakes. He stayed in his position instead of running forward and possibly leaving behind space for the opposition to attack.

His best position is definitely as a centre back. He doesn't have the passing ability or the positional awareness to be a midfielder. I still think there will be games where he plays in midfield but ultimately his future lies as a defender.

I think he suffered from a loss of confidence. He is obv. a very confident young lad but he did make some "big errors" and the pressure of playing for a team up the league must have got to him. He seemed very unsure and hesitant on the ball as the season went on. I also think that because he is very much a heart on the sleeve type player, when he's great he's great but if he's having a bad day...I don't know if he (yet) has the composure to just keep things simple and stay cool.

I don't like him in CM at all, not good enough technically. So far I think he's been best at RB. I reckon he can do well at CB but alot will depend on how he develops the mental side to his game. He could be a couple of inches taller but I think he can play there still.

Everybody just needs to chillax and wait with the RVP saga.

Nothing has changed. We know United want him, we know Arsenal are reluctant to sell. Several things can still happen. As we get closer to the end of the window things will become clearer. For now everybody is going to stand their ground.

ShogunX

Going to bed. Hopefully tomorrow I'll see Anita holding his Newcastle shirt in front of cameras.

Where will Anita be playing at Newcastle (should he join?). Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez
and Tiote will surely form a four man midfield with Ba and Cisse up top.

Wilbur

Banned
Where will Anita be playing at Newcastle (should he join?). Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Gutierrez
and Tiote will surely form a four man midfield with Ba and Cisse up top.

I think Gutierrez and Anita would be rotated and Rotated/Cabaye/Tiote would be a base midfield with Ben Arfa ahead

Fuck the RVP train, hijack the Anita deal

Meier

Who's gonna update the winners/leagues/etc. images from 2011/2012? I was blown away by how professional those made the OP look.

SB @Realmadridplace

Şahin was reluctant to leave Real Madrid but in the US. he saw himself out of the picture and agreed to leave. [Marca]

Şahin spent the whole US tour contacting his agent and reviewing the offers he has in order to choose a club. [Marca]

The offer from Arsenal appeals Şahin the most, he'll play in his preferred position there. [Marca]

Liverpool and Arsenal are both open to a loan move for Şahin or a permanent move with a buyback clause. [Marca]

This coming week will be crucial to Şahin's move away from Real Madrid. [Marca]

Nice.

Clegg

What did everyone think of Hazard? Obviously he made that mistake thats now a gif but I thought he looked decent enough. He was very quick and direct on the ball. Has a good shot too. He was a bit obvious with his intentions though. Every time he received the ball on the left wing he was looking to cut inside and pass/shoot.

I thought he he was a bit off the pace for periods of the game too. But for a debut game he was ok. Now I'm looking forward to seeing Shinji making his competitive debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom