• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
I had to reset my phone today because google currents wouldn't release my soft keys.

- 1 Soft keys.

I wish the OS would force then on when you bring up the power options.

Dash27

So my current phone is an LG Ally Android 2.2. Wife has an IPhone 4. My question: Is the Galaxy far better than the Ally and at least on par with the IPhone 4?

So what's the ideal MHL cable for this thing? Does it need to be one that has the USB power adaptor as well?

So my current phone is an LG Ally Android 2.2. Wife has an IPhone 4. My question: Is the Galaxy far better than the Ally and at least on par with the IPhone 4?

Never used the Ally, but software-wise the GN will definitely blow it away. As for the iPhone 4, the GN blows it away in every respect more or less, it only becomes a fair fight if you compare the GN to the 4S.

Donos

So after this phone has been in hands for a while, how is the 5 MP camera faring along (also in comparison to the other "top" smartphones with 8 MP) ??

Also the 16 GB without microsd slot a really turning me of. Have 32GB in my Desire HD and i have like 1 GB left :(

Trying to snipe one cheap on ebay to bridge the time between htc One X / Galaxy S3 release.

gcubed

just bad quality ? Has it at least a fast release ? tried one a week ago and it was at least better than my desire hd but that phone's camera is also shitty.

it takes pictures instantly. The only problem is if the lighting isn't just about perfect most of the pictures end up blurry. This is on 4.0.2. I think they tweaked it a bit on 4.0.4 but you still can't make up for the sensor/lens

zoku88

Never used the Ally, but software-wise the GN will definitely blow it away. As for the iPhone 4, the GN blows it away in every respect more or less, it only becomes a fair fight if you compare the GN to the 4S.

I would say, if someone in this thread hasn't heard of the phone, than probably it's not too hot hardware-wise.

So after this phone has been in hands for a while, how is the 5 MP camera faring along (also in comparison to the other "top" smartphones with 8 MP) ??

Also the 16 GB without microsd slot a really turning me of. Have 32GB in my Desire HD and i have like 1 GB left :(

Trying to snipe one cheap on ebay to bridge the time between htc One X / Galaxy S3 release.

It's fine. If you go for the instant-snapshot option then its massively hit and miss, and most of the time its miss. If you tap to focus, results are a lot better.

I came from a Galaxy S and I find picture quality to be better on the Nexus, with the bonus of a flash as well.

Edit: I was worried about the lack of expandable memory and only 16gb (13.3gb in reality) storage. However having installed all my apps, and moved over the majority of my favourite artists/albums (81 albums, 849 tracks) I still have 6gb left. Was pretty suprised. (Though if you've only got 1gb left out of 32gb then I think you might be out of luck!)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
As far as music goes, if you use Google Music (sorry, Google Play Music) then it shouldn't be much of a problem... You can pin songs to keep offline but I doubt you'd pin enough to run up against the limit.

Menelaus

Banned
it takes pictures instantly. The only problem is if the lighting isn't just about perfect most of the pictures end up blurry. This is on 4.0.2. I think they tweaked it a bit on 4.0.4 but you still can't make up for the sensor/lens
Still total shit on 4.0.4

It's nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be.
Yes it is. Having used an SGII and iPhone4S, it is very, very bad.

Who cares about 0 lag time if 99% of your pictures are a blurry mess?

Mrcapcom

As shitty as day 1. It's unexcusably bad.

I actually love this camera better than my bionic and shoots fast.
Bionic pic
2012-02-29_17-37-31_990.jpg

Galaxy Nexus Pic
IMG_20120306_095624.jpg

EDIT:
And as far as the 32gb onboard and no SD im cool with it. I had the 32gb in my Thunderbolt and I never filled it up unless I wanted to watch video
and now that I have my Transformer Prime (which I love to death) i just throw all my videos on there so nothing left but taking videos and photos
and that works great ill fill it up sooner or later but that will take along time. As far as Music well I moved everything to Google Music I never have
issues with data or finding wifi when I need to listen.

Donos

So i get the same blurry shit when i take pictures in the club like i do now with my desire hd -_-. Well you can't have it all.

kinggroin

Banned
So i get the same blurry shit when i take pictures in the club like i do now with my desire hd -_-. Well you can't have it all.

Good luck getting any cellphone camera to take decent pics in a low lighting situation like most clubs. Still, this sensor is one of the worst I've seen for such a situation, so that doesn't help.

Only now you get hungry? You prefer heart attack inducing french toast to healthy tuna? Fo shame.

I like putting a can of tuna in macaroni and cheese. I have to cancel the healthy effect of the tuna somehow!

The Tuna has continuous panning panorama feature. This feature is batshit awesome. It doesn't completely make up for the poor sensor quality but it's really awesome nonetheless.

Is there any options for an AT&T user? I've heard the Nexus we have is mot very good. :/

The only differences between the GSM (International) Tuna and the Verizon Tuna are:

GSM version has much better battery life than CDMA/LTE.
GSM version only has 16 GB of flash memory, this is fucking terrible.
GSM version is ever so slightly thinner.
GSM version uses a different battery shape, GSM and CDMA/LTE batteries are not interchangeable.

They are otherwise identical. The GSM Tuna beats the living shit out of the AT&T Galaxy S II Skyrocket and Galaxy Note, both of which got Qualcomm'd on the way to America from overseas. The GSM Tuna has the same comparison with the International Galaxy S II, that the Verizon Tuna has with the AT&T original GSII, since both use identical hardware to their American brethren. Of course, this being shitty AT&T, God only knows when you will get ICS on any AT&T devices, whereas the GSM Tuna shipped with ICS and the International GSII just got it's ICS update.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The only differences between the GSM (International) Tuna and the Verizon Tuna are:

GSM version has much better battery life than CDMA/LTE.
GSM version only has 16 GB of flash memory, this is fucking terrible.
GSM version is ever so slightly thinner.
GSM version uses a different battery shape, GSM and CDMA/LTE batteries are not interchangeable.

They are otherwise identical. The GSM Tuna beats the living shit out of the AT&T Galaxy S II Skyrocket and Galaxy Note, both of which got Qualcomm'd on the way to America from overseas. The GSM Tuna has the same comparison with the International Galaxy S II, that the Verizon Tuna has with the AT&T original GSII, since both use identical hardware to their American brethren. Of course, this being shitty AT&T, God only knows when you will get ICS on any AT&T devices, whereas the GSM Tuna shipped with ICS and the International GSII just got it's ICS update.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm completely baffled by your post regarding the GSM Tuna. I'm not sure what you're referring to, haha. Is that the name of the standard Nexus you can get on AT&T or something?

kehs

Banned
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm completely baffled by your post regarding the GSM Tuna. I'm not sure what you're referring to, haha. Is that the name of the standard Nexus you can get on AT&T or something?

The GSM nexus supports both att and t mobile radio bands for hspa+ connectivity (21mbps). It's a pentaband gsm phone.

Tuna is just the code name for the phone.

equap

Banned
i returned the GS2 and getting this phone.

What's the best custom rom available for it? I looked on XDA and there are so many choices i don't know where to begin.

Thanks

Husker86

i returned the GS2 and getting this phone.

What's the best custom rom available for it? I looked on XDA and there are so many choices i don't know where to begin.

Thanks

I'm using just a rooted 4.0.4 ROM now and it seems more stable than the previous custom ROMs I've tried. I haven't even swapped from the stock kernel, though I might try Imo's kernel soon.

kehs

Banned
Any of you guys messed around with CyanogenMod 9? How is it?

I'm also noticing screen housing alot more lately. =/

Top Bottom