• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

womp

No screen protector here and have had mine since launch. I microfiber spray and wipe its screen every morning though. No case either, instead I use a cloth sleeve I got from Verizon during Droid X launch to promote it. T-shirt, mouse pad etc. Glad the sleeve finally came in handy, keeps the dust off it. :)

I baby this thing.

jenov4

Is Zagg any good as a screen protector?

Not really a fan.. the skin isn't smooth and has this 'orange peel' type effect. I just bought a bunch of cheapo protectors from eBay and they're just fine. You can get 5x of them for like $3 shipped. Just pm me if you want details.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eh, I just think I'll go bare. :p

Leaving in a bit to hopefully get my Galaxy Nexus~

Been trying for three weeks, long long long story.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OMG I GOT IT THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER

4 and 1/2 years pining for an Android phone, and I finally have the best one yet.

Ashhong

It can't cover the entire screen from edge to edge because it's a dry application and the glass is slightly curved at the edges, causing the protector to peel off.

If you want one that covers edge to edge, get the Steinheil Flex, it's a wet application protector though. I went through the process of doing wet application to put a skin on my Touchpad and I'm never doing that again, I got it soaking wet by the time I was done applying the skin and I was wondering if it was going to turn on or not.

Sounds like user error. Dry applications suck and don't last long.

Zagg is good. I recommend BodyGuardz. Ebay ones turn yellow and peel within a few months. Definitely don't have the longevity of the big name brands, or the lifetime guarantee.

Feep

Banned
Finally found a fellow Nexus owner today, and decided to try Android Beam...

It's actually *really* cool. In a couple of years, when all phones have NFC chips, it's really cool to just be able to immediately share something like that.

VPhys

Finally joined the Nexus club.

ICS is soooo much better than gingerbread.

+Calendar is better
+Having a more stock experience <3
+Voice recognition is awesome as are voice commands
+not missing micro SD as the mtp in ICS is better than gingergread (upon connecting the phone it defaults to MPT, whereas on my Rezound I had to take an extra step and choose USB mode on the phone, also, I had to do this in the first 2 seconds or I'd have to start the process all over again, disconnecting and reconnecting the cable etc. )

+/- phone lighter than Rezound, although build quality is not as good, back is also slippery and not rubberized
+/- PPI is not as good, but screen is larger, also you can't see the pixels due to the HD screen, unlike in phones such as the RAZR
+/- battery takes twice as long to charge, but maybe this means it will also last longer?

thespot84

Finally joined the Nexus club.

ICS is soooo much better than gingerbread.

+Calendar is better
+Having a more stock experience <3
+Voice recognition is awesome as are voice commands
+not missing micro SD as the mtp in ICS is better than gingergread (upon connecting the phone it defaults to MPT, whereas on my Rezound I had to take an extra step and choose USB mode on the phone, also, I had to do this in the first 2 seconds or I'd have to start the process all over again, disconnecting and reconnecting the cable etc. )

+/- phone lighter than Rezound, although build quality is not as good, back is also slippery and not rubberized
+/- PPI is not as good, but screen is larger, also you can't see the pixels due to the HD screen, unlike in phones such as the RAZR
+/- battery takes twice as long to charge, but maybe this means it will also last longer?

Granted i have good 4g signal at work and home but I get 18 hours with moderate use.

Shakala

What are the key things that make it amazing? 4.0.3 seems to be working fine...What are some of the improvements that you have noticed?

Here's a list

Update #1 from Cam: After spending a bit of time with this update, one thing is for sure: it’s stupid fast. The camera launches almost immediately now, even from the lockscreen – an area in which is used to crawl. Everything just seems even more fluid than before. The new radio also seem to be doing some good for signal strength – my phone appears to have jumped from the -120 to -100 dB range up to -90ish. That’s all I’ve found so far, but I’ll make sure to drop in another update if anything major pops up.

Update #2: User kangxi on xda compiled an unofficial list of changes in 4.0.4 compared to 4.0.2 and 4.0.3. Here they are as of right now:

Noticeably Faster
Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don’t even notice it changing.
Improved signal strength
New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom. Screenshot here
PRIMELA03 Bootloader
Faster boot up time
Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
Holding down camera button now refocuses again
Multitouch issue seems resolved. Screenshot here
Autorotate is faster
Browser performance noticeably improved
Recent apps list opens faster
Miscellaneous camera UI changes
Increased volume
Keyboard fixes
Updated News & Weather app UI
Improved quick controls in browser. New when coming from 4.0.2. Present in 4.0.3. Screenshot here (Update: 02/05)

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/02/05/android-4-0-4-makes-another-surprise-appearance-this-time-on-the-galaxy-nexus-imm30b-come-download-it/

Sounds like user error. Dry applications suck and don't last long.

Like I said, it was my first time doing a wet application. I had no idea what I was doing.

I had a Steinheil Ultra screen protector on my Droid X for almost 2 years without any problems. I get the feeling that a good quality dry application screen protector stays on forever, because it's still on my X which I don't use anymore.

Edit- I'm on 4.0.2. :( Guess I should check for updates tomorrow.

4.0.4 has not been pushed out OTA yet. You'll need to hit up XDA or RootzWiki to get it.

kehs

Banned
What about 4.0.3? And is there an eta on .4?

Nobody knows anything. Google started sending out updates to the Nexus S (4.0.3 and .4 for the 4G), stopped, like two people got .4 on the verizon GN and now here we are. My Asus transformer has a newer version of Android than any of my Nexus phones.

Good job Google.

Maxrunner

Nobody knows anything. Google started sending out updates to the Nexus S (4.0.3 and .4 for the 4G), stopped, like two people got .4 on the verizon GN and now here we are. My Asus transformer has a newer version of Android than any of my Nexus phones.

Good job Google.

Cant understand this too, im on 4.0.2., GSM version, and the Transformer already got the 4.0.3....there were reports that google would release the 4.0.5. for gsm version this month but im not confident...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Good job Google.

Transofrmer or Transformer Prime?

Maxrunner

Transofrmer or Transformer Prime?

Prime, anyway the current 4.0.2. build i have on the Gnexus lags too much to the point of sometimes being annoying...the main issue i have is this. Even the damn "new" task manager usually lags when i press the right key, from the moment i press to the screen actually showing the vertical list sometimes takes 1 sec....meh....

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My only real issues so far seemed to be fixed by 4.0.4: slow auto-rotate and louder volume. (Plus the "wow it's so much faster!" that I usually don't let myself believe.)

Maxrunner

My only real issues so far seemed to be fixed by 4.0.4: slow auto-rotate and louder volume. (Plus the "wow it's so much faster!" that I usually don't let myself believe.)

Yes the autorotate issue sometimes happens, but i can live with that, since it doesnt happens everytime i rotate it.

Emily Chu

Banned
I fucking love this thing, been using it as m only computing device for the past week
Don't really miss anything @ all from my Old desk to

xLnnp.png

Got rid of those pesky nav bars too
Running aokp m4 an lean kernel 2.60

kehs

Banned
Woa...I didn't know about this:

Snap Pictures while Recording Video: While not as commonly used a feature as the other two, having the ability to snap still photos while recording a video is nice to have. You never know when you may need your camera during a video shoot. A simple tap on the viewfinder during recording will snap whatever is on screen at that time.

Ashhong

wasn't that a feature HTC was touting in their ONE presentation? Didn't realize Gnexus has it, is it an ICS thing or a Gnexus thing?

Shakala

Believe it or not, it actually does feel a lot faster!

Sounds great. Thanks for that!

I was never able to track down a list even though I read through numerous Android news feeds on a daily basis. heh

No problem :)

I'm currently running the leaked official 4.0.4 update on my Verizon Wireless 4G GN, and enjoying it quite a bit.

But are there any ROMs that provide a superior experience to what I'm currently running? Is CM9 superior to stock 4.0.4?

Fox318

I'm currently running the leaked official 4.0.4 update on my Verizon Wireless 4G GN, and enjoying it quite a bit.

But are there any ROMs that provide a superior experience to what I'm currently running? Is CM9 superior to stock 4.0.4?

How would I update that from 4.0.2?

Do I jump to 4.0.4 or update to 4.0.3 first?

i love this phone but the battery is pretty terrible. worse than my nexus one :(

Yea the battery life is abysmal on this thing... waiting for 4.0.4 :/

Also since I removed the screen protector I went ahead and removed the case I also had on it. I must admit that a naked Nexus is best Nexus.

Emily Chu

Banned
On the LTE model? Yes. My brother has it and it is very bad. But my GSM Tuna has better battery life than my old trusty One - considering the larger screen.

the only way around that is to undervolt and underclock to 700mhz Max and 180Mhz Min and to put it into a hotplugx Governer where it auto turns off one core when it detects low cpu usage and screen off

lasted all day about 18-24hrs for me and 5-6hr on screen time

with no performance loss

Rom AKOP Build 28 - Lean kernel 26.0 exp7

Black Exdous Theme + black wallpaper

it's the only way smartphone batteries are not ready for Dual core CPUs and HD screens srsly....

had to do all this tweak, remix and tweak again just to get it to on par with my old Droid X Battery life on CM7 Gin

but in the end it was all worth it to get my LTE GNEX up to snuff with my DX Bat life.... oh and this is on 3G of course...

4G sucks the life out of the battery like a bat out of hell.... I only summon LTE when I need to download large files lol

gcubed

what are people doing with their phones? I easily get a full day usage out of my LTE GNex without some convoluted setup and custom rom's

krzy123

On days i carpool and don't drive, i watch netflix over lte/3g, sogood.gif . My work doesn't allow cellphones anyways, so it stays in airplane mode most of the workday, so i still get a full day out of it ;).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
what are people doing with their phones? I easily get a full day usage out of my LTE GNex without some convoluted setup and custom rom's

Playing music on the way to work, the battery drops 14% in about 30 minutes for me.

Default settings for just about everything. Maybe some light comic reading mixed in.

womp

Playing music on the way to work, the battery drops 14% in about 30 minutes for me.

Default settings for just about everything. Maybe some light comic reading mixed in.

The only way I listen to music is via Subsonic (Which streams my music from home) and I lose 5% in the hour drive to work in the morning.

Are you using Google Music or music onboard from your device?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google Music, but the playlist is pinned offline. I usually don't bother turning Wi-Fi off.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh and I've been pretty happy with the quality of pics on my GN so far, some are a bit too dim but they're a step up from my old ~$200 camera. Panorama has been disappointing so far but I'm still learning how to use it. Videos are WAY better than my $200 camera, but that wasn't made to take videos, had horrible horrible wind resistance.

Here's something I took yesterday:

IMG_20120321_155745.jpg

A little grainy but still pretty good IMO. Blazing shutter speed even when not in that "instant pic taking" mode. Very impressed overall.

UV-6

Need some advice, guys.

The Nexus is priced at £399 online (sim free) which is good but do you reckon it'll go down even further in the coming months when the Samsung Galaxy SII launches?

Need some advice, guys.

The Nexus is priced at £399 online (sim free) which is good but do you reckon it'll go down even further in the coming months when the Samsung Galaxy SII launches?

I'm not sure, the Nexus phones have always held their prices pretty well, as do most of the high end Samsung phones, the S2 is still £400 after 18 months on sale.

Top Bottom