• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

equap

Banned
Yea the battery life is abysmal on this thing... waiting for 4.0.4 :/

Also since I removed the screen protector I went ahead and removed the case I also had on it. I must admit that a naked Nexus is best Nexus.
what's new in 4.0.4?? another thing that i don't like is the call voice quality. holy crap! i'm thinking it's Verizon but I read somewhere it's the phone. you guys have this problem? is there a fix?

thespot84

what's new in 4.0.4?? another thing that i don't like is the call voice quality. holy crap! i'm thinking it's Verizon but I read somewhere it's the phone. you guys have this problem? is there a fix?

granted I got it for $25 but the extended battery has been great. I'm on LTE all day, moderate call and gaming, and I get 16-18 hours. Highly recommended

Feep

Banned
Any GAFfers want to buy a fully functioning GNex with cracked screen for $200.00? I can't find any place to repair the screen, but if you go through the trouble, you could probably make a good $100-$200 profit.

3phemeral

It completely alters the way this phone feels. I will never go back to the ext. battery.

Really?

With that standard battery, the phone was extremely light and I was afraid I'd drop it. When I attached the extended battery, I checked the profile out and couldn't tell any difference. I've never put the original battery back in, but I assume the profile must have been flat/curved inward toward the phone. With the extended battery, the curve of the back is natural and seamless. I expected there to be a noticeable bump like my Droid 2, but it looks and feels like how I anticipated the Nexus to look/weigh, so I'm actually happy with the physical difference.

It completely alters the way this phone feels. I will never go back to the ext. battery.

I feel exactly the opposite. The extended battery adds much-needed heft and makes it feel more solid. With the stock battery it felt too ethereally thin and light. I was used to the tank-like heft and mass of my old Droid X though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
what are people doing with their phones? I easily get a full day usage out of my LTE GNex without some convoluted setup and custom rom's
What's your screen on time?
Any GAFfers want to buy a fully functioning GNex with cracked screen for $200.00? I can't find any place to repair the screen, but if you go through the trouble, you could probably make a good $100-$200 profit.

GSM?

thespot84

I feel exactly the opposite. The extended battery adds much-needed heft and makes it feel more solid. With the stock battery it felt too ethereally thin and light. I was used to the tank-like heft and mass of my old Droid X though.

I too prefer the added heft. My OG droid was a brick. loved it.

Anybody here have a gnex on Tmobile?

I've read that the gsm version isn't getting updates because it has some Samsung software or something like that? Is this true?

kehs

Banned
Anybody here have a gnex on Tmobile?

I've read that the gsm version isn't getting updates because it has some Samsung software or something like that? Is this true?

It's not getting updates because Google isn't releasing any updates. If you buy it retail unlocked, your carrier doesn't intervene on anything other than market app availability.

gcubed

What's your screen on time?

GSM?

will have to check at the end of a day.

Right now screen on time is 1h 57m and the battery is at 74% at 4h 25m

and andrex, what are you using that drops your battery that much? I use google music and in my 45 minute commute it doesnt drop half of what yours does

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

and andrex, what are you using that drops your battery that much? I use google music and in my 45 minute commute it doesnt drop half of what yours does

Dunno but I have Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Google Reader and a bunch of other things probably syncing over 4G.

nocode

I check this thread pretty often, and I have to say that I'm pretty baffled at the complaints. My battery last all day on 4g EASILY with enough battery for me to play a game (lately gem miner 2) for like an hour or so before bed while listening to a podcast. It finally gets down to 5% or so around midnight. The only thing I have installed different from stock in launcher pro. I don't use facebook at all, but I do have twitter running, and I check it often throughout the day. I also text pretty often during the day at work, and I listen to a podcast for about a half hour a day not counting just before bed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
How do I check what apps have been using the network and how long the screen's been on?

iavi

How do I check what apps have been using the network and how long the screen's been on?

Data Usage will tell you about the data--including background, and 'Battery' will you give the rundown there--including the time the phone's been on the battery and an app breakdown.

th3dude

You want to talk about "abandoned?" Us Verizoners are still stuck on 4.0.2.

Yea, I don't get how this 'nexus' is so slow with updates? Seems like all versions are struggling.

I'm rooted on 4.0.4 but would much rather have an official release.

beat

I used the screen a bit under 2 hours today and it got down to 13%. Today was unusual only in that I installed Draw Something today.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Wtf how is this even possible? Post battery screen shots please.

gcubed

Wtf how is this even possible? Post battery screen shots please.

I wasn't doing much with the screen on. Music that's about it. I get a full day (14 -16 hours) out of my phone with normal use which is heavy 35 minutes morning and night on train to/from work and then some random checking throughout the day. On an extended battery

kehs

Banned
I think it's pretty much set that screen time for this phone is in the three-four hour range, regardless of everything else. I went a day with just 2g on tmo and still I only got 3.5 hours out of it.

My phone makes it from 9 to midgnight, or 9 to 9, depending on whether I use it more. Screen time always clocks in at 3-4 hours.

dat 720p.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think it's pretty much set that screen time for this phone is in the three-four hour range, regardless of everything else. I went a day with just 2g on tmo and still I only got 3.5 hours out of it.

My phone makes it from 9 to midgnight, or 9 to 9, depending on whether I use it more. Screen time always clocks in at 3-4 hours.

dat 720p.

More like dat 4.65 inches (lol.) That's what's doing most of the draining, although the 720p doesn't help either considering the CPU/GPU have to work a bit harder to push those extra pixels.

Emily Chu

Banned

dat 720p.

hmm I get 5-6hr of on screen time 7-8 if I push it beyond the beyond

lowest brightness to auto brightness, all radios off, except wifi or 3G only Screen filter app
optional Data off when screen off
HotplugX Governor turns on CPU core off to save battery life when screen off or low cpu usage
undervolt and underclock to 180mhz min and 700 mhz max
switch on Force GPU rendering undervolt and OC GPU
AKOP build 28, Lean kernel 2.7.1 EXP 2 180mhz
Black exdous theme
all black wallpaper

extended verizon battery of course 24.99$

srsly google should hire these rom/kernel developers or @ least adopt some of there stuff I noticed no perfomance lost with these tweaks

basically I just went MAD with the sole goal of extending battery life GO ALL OUT OR GO HOME

BOOM 24 -48 hr battery life FUCK YEAH

BrettHD

Banned
The Nexus is a trainwreck for me for two reasons:
The battery life sucks ass - had the Verizon version for a few days.
The thing is awkward to use in one hand because of the size - constantly
felt like I was going to drop it.

Couldnt be happier with the Razr Maxx I got after returning the Nexus.

kehs

Banned
hmm I get 5-6hr of on screen time 7-8 if I push it beyond the beyond

lowest brightness to auto brightness, all radios off, except wifi or 3G only Screen filter app
optional Data off when screen off
HotplugX Governor turns on CPU core off to save battery life when screen off or low cpu usage
undervolt and underclock to 180mhz min and 700 mhz max
switch on Force GPU rendering undervolt and OC GPU
AKOP build 28, Lean kernel 2.7.1 EXP 2 180mhz
Black exdous theme
all black wallpaper

srsly google should hire these rom/kernel developers or @ least adopt some of there stuff I noticed no perfomance lost with these tweaks

basically I just went MAD with the sole goal of extending battery life GO ALL OUT OR GO HOME

BOOM 24 -48 hr battery life FUCK YEAH

I don't know, turning off data while the screen is off? Might as well not even have a smartphone. That's the second biggest battery hog, and that I won't concede on using.

I've also never messed with cpu overclocking etc, other than whatever came standard with CM9, which has always made a different I will agree on.

Emily Chu

Banned
I don't know, turning off data while the screen is off? Might as well not even have a smartphone. That's the second biggest battery hog, and that I won't concede on using.

I've also never messed with cpu overclocking etc, other than whatever came standard with CM9, which has always made a different I will agree on.

well... I still get phone calls but it just auto turns off data if I don't use it after 10 minutes or a set amount of time or so and auto turns back on once the screen is on

idk tbh battery tech in smartphones has got a long ways to go

I fear quad core phones and 1080p screens in the future...

pretty much FML in terms of battery life.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Nexus is a trainwreck for me for two reasons:
The battery life sucks ass - had the Verizon version for a few days.
The thing is awkward to use in one hand because of the size - constantly
felt like I was going to drop it.

Couldnt be happier with the Razr Maxx I got after returning the Nexus.

I'll echo those complaints but for me they pale in comparison to the hardware (screen in particular) and stock ICS. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

GN isn't the perfect phone (needs a far better battery and camera, for starters) but it is the best option yet, going off spec sheets of course.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol, download some apps from Google Play while charging over USB... Battery goes down 2%.
KuGsj.gif

kehs

Banned
well... I still get phone calls but it just auto turns off data if I don't use it after 10 minutes or a set amount of time or so and auto turns back on once the screen is on

idk tbh battery tech in smartphones has got a long ways to go

I fear quad core phones and 1080p screens in the future...

pretty much FML in terms of battery life.

Definitely agree about the battery tech. I don't mind too much cause I'm almost always near a power source.

Chorazin

Really wish they'd hurry up and put 4.0.5 out OTA. I'm kicking myself fot not unlocking the bootloader when I brought it home, coulda at least had 4.0.4 on here already!

BrettHD

Banned
I'll echo those complaints but for me they pale in comparison to the hardware (screen in particular) and stock ICS. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

GN isn't the perfect phone (needs a far better battery and camera, for starters) but it is the best option yet, going off spec sheets of course.

Eh I dont really care about ICS that much and even if I did its coming to the Razr Maxx anyway.
As far as the screen the Nexus is definitely nicer but the Maxx is pretty good as well.
I dont really use for my phone for videos anyway - just the occaisional youtube.

BrettHD

Banned
The one thing I really like about the Maxx is how fast it gets a gps lock with the satellites.
I have had:
Motorola Droid
Motorola Droid2Global
Galaxy Tab 7 Original
Galaxy Tab 10.1 Currently using this

and the gps lock time was at least 30 - 60 secs on each one - sometines much longer.

The Maxx rarely takes longer than 5 secs to get a lock - love it!

In fairness to the Nexus I didnt keep it long enough to mess with the gps much.

Husker86

The one thing I really like about the Maxx is how fast it gets a gps lock with the satellites.
I have had:
Motorola Droid
Motorola Droid2Global
Galaxy Tab 7 Original
Galaxy Tab 10.1 Currently using this

and the gps lock time was at least 30 - 60 secs on each one - sometines much longer.

The Maxx rarely takes longer than 5 secs to get a lock - love it!

In fairness to the Nexus I didnt keep it long enough to mess with the gps much.

The GN is usually fast but lately it has seemed slow for me. It's weird as I've never experienced this; I've only had HTC before and they always locked more or less instantly. Seems strange that there can be such a difference.

Blackhead

Redarse
I found the GN GPS to be very fast. I'd go to Nextbus.com and get the info I need in under 10 secs iirc. On my iPhone I have to turn on the gps first, then remember to turn it off afterwards which is always a pain. The GN is really smooth with the GPS imo

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It is (and I use NextBus too), it's just sometimes the icon appears in the Notifications bar, and sometimes it takes about 10 seconds or more to get a signal. It doesn't seem like it's constantly maintaining a signal, which may be a battery life thing.

reKon

Banned
I found the GN GPS to be very fast. I'd go to Nextbus.com and get the info I need in under 10 secs iirc. On my iPhone I have to turn on the gps first, then remember to turn it off afterwards which is always a pain. The GN is really smooth with the GPS imo

I've noticed this too. Most of the time, the GPS is just stupid fast and this is with 3G. I rarely use 4G

Top Bottom