• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
it might be worth it for a better camera, a significant amount more memory than 16gb, more capable innards, better audio quality and better battery life if those were important to him though!

(i'd still get a nexus)

ya ill miss that stuff but like damn. $400

and stock, updates yada yada

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
it's not an LTE phone, and neither is the $800 international galaxy S3. the only ones that are 4G (as in LTE and not renamed, faster 3G) are the verizon nexus and the at&t and verizon branded S3s.

i seeeeeeeeeee

ok, thanks for the heads up!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Google Play version is unlocked and 3G pentaband (or I'm pretty sure it is.) Meaning you can use it on AT&T, T-Mobile, and any of those wacky Euro carriers and it'll always be able to do 3G. Probably.

However, yeah, *while it can do HSPA+, only the Verizon version has "actual" 4G (LTE.) And as I said, it's also the only one with 32 GB of storage. But

But it's a trade-off since you have to glitch Google Play to get Google Wallet, it only works on Verizon, it's locked, you can't buy it from Google Play, and official updates have been really slow. For me, the tradeoff was easily worth it. Dat 4G speed.

reKon

Banned
Does anyone live in Chicago and have a 4g phone? How's the reception in general there for 3g/4g in general outside/in office buildings/taking the L. I'm going to be working there in about 7 months and I still expect to have my Nexus then.

thespot84

True, but I can go a full day with a single charge.

My mobile data speed needs top out at about 150kBps, anything higher than that isn't worth the battery trade off yet.

i maintain a 15mbps connection at home and 52mbps at work, and I'm rarely searching for signalt in between, so on a typical day with 4g on I make it all the way through.

True, but I can go a full day with a single charge.

My mobile data speed needs top out at about 150kBps, anything higher than that isn't worth the battery trade off yet.

The custom kernels for Verizon's Tuna do amazing things for it's battery life. It still can't match the International Tuna but it's a lot better than stock.

beat

So when the hell is Samsung Canada going to update the yakjux phones from Rogers? Is this Rogers' failing or Samsung's?

And can I switch my phone over to yakju without wiping it?

kehs

Banned

gcubed

Reasonable prices to boot? I guess they don't like money.

Big thing to note about that HDMI dock, it only outputs video playback, and not whatever app you're in.

I wonder if their gearing up to release a bunch of shit during I/O.

e: The car dock has pogo pins! Verizon am cry.

I'm just about 100% sure they work with the Verizon version.

Damn, the last Maps update broke photos in Latitude. What the fuck is Google testing their apps on? So frustrating...

They also removed some functionality from the so-called bubble buttons on a Maps search, I guess to make more room for Zagat scores. :/

gutshot

Yes, but at least the pogo car dock works. Its been tried before

Sweet! Is there a desktop dock with pogo pins for the VZW Nexus? My Google searches have come up empty...

ETA: I mean, one that isn't $90. Oh, and it looks like the car dock only works after taking a razor blade to certain portions of it and installing some custom APKs. :/

gcubed

Sweet! Is there a desktop dock with pogo pins for the VZW Nexus? My Google searches have come up empty...

ETA: I mean, one that isn't $90. Oh, and it looks like the car dock only works after taking a razor blade to certain portions of it and installing some custom APKs. :/

4.0.4 includes all of the dock settings

SimleuqiR

I bought the Desktop Dock with Pogo Pin - I see more use in playing/streaming from Google Music, than playing just video out of the device.

What? Never had this issue. What do you mean by stretched?

phone1full.jpg

While on that same review it says : "High-res photos are also now allowed in the contacts tab, which means that you have a large and high-quality image of your friend or family member getting all up in your face when they call you."

not true, not even in their image.

Basically anywhere(messages, contacts app, phone app) when you click on the little image icon it will bring up a larger pop up menu with a stretched and pixelated image of the contact.

kehs

Banned
phone1full.jpg

While on that same review it says : "High-res photos are also now allowed in the contacts tab, which means that you have a large and high-quality image of your friend or family member getting all up in your face when they call you."

If you add a picture manually to the contact it will look good, or if one of the social sites in the contact info is providing a high res image(Google+ images come in high res and clear).

SimleuqiR

phone1full.jpg

Basically anywhere(messages, contacts app, phone app) when you click on the little image icon it will bring up a larger pop up menu with a stretched and pixelated image of the contact.

Like Coco said, you need more of your contacts on Google+! :-D
On a serious note, I do not have this issue even with Haxsync. All my pictures are synced from FB in high-rez. There might be a couple of contacts that took their FB profile picture with their 3+ year old Blackberry camera. But that's not Haxsync or the Peoples App's fault.

Also, "their image"? It's possible that the images you have store on Gmail Contact's are old and need to be updated with high resolution ones, so the phone can display them that way What was your previous phone? If you had any of the previous Nexuses the contact pictures quality was shit.

If you add a picture manually to the contact it will look good, or if one of the social sites in the contact info is providing a high res image(Google+ images come in high res and clear).

Okay this is weird.

I swear I did add my pictures manually and they still looked bad. But right now I tried another one and it looks fine. I guess I'll have to update my contacts.

gcubed

Like Coco said, you need more of your contacts on Google+! :-D
On a serious note, I do not have this issue even with Haxsync. All my pictures are synced from FB in high-rez. There might be a couple of contacts that took their FB profile picture with their 3+ year old Blackberry camera. But that's not Haxsync or the Peoples App's fault.

Also, "their image"? It's possible that the images you have store on Gmail Contact's are old and need to be updated with high resolution ones, so the phone can display them that way What was your previous phone? If you had any of the previous Nexuses the contact pictures quality was shit.

if you set the pictures through google contacts it still comes in as shitty.

SimleuqiR

if you set the pictures through google contacts it still comes in as shitty.

Really? What happens if you set the pic through the phone, then wipe the phone - factory reset or installing another Rom? Does it keep the higher res pic in the cloud synced ?

Haven't really played with Roms since I bought the Tuna.

kinggroin

Banned
Here's what I noticed.

If a contact uses the g+ image, it comes in with decent quality. If you set a picture manually, or through a social network, the pictures are decent quality.

When you enable contact sync in account manager (in system settings), all pictures (except g+) will be pixelated. It seems that Google compresses them server side.

Solution? Turn off contact sync

kehs

Banned
Here's what I noticed.

If a contact uses the g+ image, it comes in with decent quality. If you set a picture manually, or through a social network, the pictures are decent quality.

When you enable contact sync in account manager (in system settings), all pictures (except g+) will be pixelated. It seems that Google compresses them server side.

Solution? Turn off contact sync

So...how do you sync your contacts?

3phemeral

Yeah, I just noticed I downloaded a super hires image that I cropped specifically for use as an HQ contact and somehow it's now super pixelated and eye bleedingly horrendous.

Top Bottom