• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Mrcapcom

So whats all involved with Google Voice? I thought that one point they said if you did the whole call forwarding things (I'm on Verizon) You still get charged minutes for the voicemail.
Is that different now? Whats the best way to set this up on Verizon Galaxy Nexus. And did they start accepting MMS on G Voice yet?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Got my 6th Nexus last night (3rd CLNR from Verizon) and I think I'm going to keep this one. Hardly a hint of purple in the grays, no annoying lines/bars on the screen, and there seems to be less motion blur/ghosting than my previous good one. The blue tint to viewing angles is still pretty bad compared to some I've seen, but I'm tired of playing this lottery. Real shame that Samsung can't keep the viewing angles up to par with LCD (although I suspect it has something to do with better viewing in sunlight), so I'd probably recommend the One X if you want the best display, but I like the Nexus as an overall package better.

Now to unlock this thing and really get down to using it properly.

Found this little gem today, found it amusing.

http://www.technobloom.com/verizon-samsung-galaxy-nexus-4g-could-get-first-dibs-on-android-jelly-bean/229982/

TL:DR since Verizon screwed over everyone taking 5 months to release 4.0.4, They are totally going to release Jelly Bean first or very very fast to make up for that.

Yeahhhhhh right. I could almost see Verizon not releasing JB at all going by there track record.

i feel bad for clicking that link and giving that article a hit.

kehs

Banned
So whats all involved with Google Voice? I thought that one point they said if you did the whole call forwarding things (I'm on Verizon) You still get charged minutes for the voicemail.
Is that different now? Whats the best way to set this up on Verizon Galaxy Nexus. And did they start accepting MMS on G Voice yet?

Yeah, Google Voice works like regular voicemail in terms of minute usage. If you really want to use Google Voice without minutes you'd have to use something like GoogleVOIP (I'm not sure what it's called I don't use it myself). Someone else could chime in with the details.

The only thing you get with Voice that's free is text message and voicemail transcribing, which goes over the data network instead of the cellular network.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yeah, Google Voice works like regular voicemail in terms of minute usage. If you really want to use Google Voice without minutes you'd have to use something like GoogleVOIP (I'm not sure what it's called I don't use it myself). Someone else could chime in with the details.

The only thing you get with Voice that's free is text message and voicemail transcribing, which goes over the data network instead of the cellular network.
GrooveIP lets you make voip calls with your Google voice number. Almost a must have with the $30 a month t mobile plan.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yay first to Jellybean!

How awesome would it be if they announced it at I/O and then pushed out the update immediately after the presenter ended his/her sentence?

...It would only be awesome if the source code was pushed as well, seeing as I'm now a Note man.

Feep

Banned
So, apparently Google Wallet no longer supports rooted phones...which is sad. Still, I basically only rooted my phone so I could get 4.0.4 back a few months ago, and that update has apparently rolled out, OTA, to the Galaxy Nexus.

What's the simplest and most painfree way I can unroot my phone so Wallet is working?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So, apparently Google Wallet no longer supports rooted phones...which is sad. Still, I basically only rooted my phone so I could get 4.0.4 back a few months ago, and that update has apparently rolled out, OTA, to the Galaxy Nexus.

What's the simplest and most painfree way I can unroot my phone so Wallet is working?

It works. Unless something changed last I checked. It's only a notification, it doesn't stop function.

beat

So, Canadians, has Rogers/Samsung even sent out 4.0.4 yet? I'm reading conflicting reports, and I know mine still hasn't got it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I BELIEVE!

main-qimg-914738c9e6166061c701ab9985aa4633

How awesome would it be if they announced it at I/O and then pushed out the update immediately after the presenter ended his/her sentence?

...It would only be awesome if the source code was pushed as well, seeing as I'm now a Note man.

that would be really awesome, which means it won't happen.

Futureman

damn Nexus is $119.99 for 2 year upgrade for me. Might just do it. I kinda wanted to wait till the Fall phones, but honestly Nexus would probably serve me well and it's cheap right now.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The surface dithering in CyanogenMod is great. It makes a visible difference on my phone. Whatever they're doing with their kernel makes the screen look great.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Is the Galaxy Nexus still worth getting?

I currently have an iPhone 4 and my country don't have 4G yet.

Definitely. The Google Play version sounds right up your alley. Especially if you're upgrading from a 4 and not a 4S, the GNex will be a revelation for you.

Best part is, even though ICS is fricking awesome, Jellybean will be coming your way in a couple weeks from now, before anyone else.

Pachimari

Definitely. The Google Play version sounds right up your alley. Especially if you're upgrading from a 4 and not a 4S, the GNex will be a revelation for you.

Best part is, even though ICS is fricking awesome, Jellybean will be coming your way in a couple weeks from now, before anyone else.
I see, if so, I'll be getting it locally. I love the design of both hardware and software.

How do the app marketplace look like? If pretty much have many of the big ones also found on iOS right? Do the People Hub have Facebook and Twitter? Also, do it have Reeder for RSS? Or is there a web link to the Google Play store? :)

rozay

Banned
Is the Galaxy Nexus still worth getting?

I currently have an iPhone 4 and my country don't have 4G yet.
How much more expensive is the galaxy S3 in your country? Hardware-wise the nexus gets whipped badly and I don't know how long the slightly weak (by todays standards) chipset will last in terms of good performance with future android versions, but the design of the nexus is still better IMO. If it's significantly cheaper, go for the nexus, otherwise give some thought to the S3 or wait for the next series of nexus phones later this year in october/november.

Pachimari

How much more expensive is the galaxy S3 in your country?
Almost double the price unfortunately. And I only want to pay half that, as I want to surprise my father with a smartphone as well. :)

Is the google Wallet on Nexus, even available outside US? Cause I see it have the NFC chip here but dunno what to use it for.

In fact, I'm considering either the Nokia 800 or the Galaxy Nexus which is only like $50 more next week.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I see, if so, I'll be getting it locally. I love the design of both hardware and software.

Cool! Yeah, can't beat stock.

How do the app marketplace look like?

Great. Very close with the iOS App Store in terms of volume and quality. It's pretty much iOS and Android... then everything else (Windows Phone, etc.)

If pretty much have many of the big ones also found on iOS right?

More and more these days, with recent big launches like Instagram and Instapaper.

Do the People Hub have Facebook and Twitter?

Not by default, but There's an App For That™.

Also, do it have Reeder for RSS?

Unfortunately not since the developers of Reeder seem completely Apple-exclusive, however there are several popular alternatives such as the official Google Reader and Readability apps.

Or is there a web link to the Google Play store? :)

Yes. After you link your phone with your Google account, when you go to the Google Play website and click "Install" on any compatible application it will be downloaded and installed immediately on your device, over the air.

Google Play also includes music, movie, and ebook stores.

Almost double the price unfortunately. And I only want to pay half that, as I want to surprise my father with a smartphone as well. :)

Is the google Wallet on Nexus, even available outside US? Cause I see it have the NFC chip here but dunno what to use it for.

In fact, I'm considering either the Nokia 800 or the Galaxy Nexus which is only like $50 more next week.

Nokia 800 was practically dead on arrival, and the WP8 announcement just desecrated its corpse even further. Nice looking hardware, but pretty low-specced even at release (it's like Raditz to the GNex's Goku SS2, and the S3 is Majin Vegeta.)

Google Wallet is US-only unfortunately, but you can still use the NFC for Android Beam and other apps that support it.

rozay

Banned

Go with the nexus then, you'll both enjoy it. Don't think buying the 800 is a good idea as it won't be receiving an update to the next version of windows phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Go with the nexus then, you'll both enjoy it. Don't think buying the 800 is a good idea as it won't be receiving an update to the next version of windows phone.

It's also weaker than most smartphones released in the last year... Looks pretty, but yeah... if you're going to get a dead-end Windows Phone, then the 900 is a slightly less shaky bet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Same. Looks fricking great, especially if you're in lighting conditions that make it impossible to tell the back of the screen from the bezel. So sleek.

It also feels really solid, and it's exactly as thin as I want it to be.

Pachimari

It's also weaker than most smartphones released in the last year... Looks pretty, but yeah... if you're going to get a dead-end Windows Phone, then the 900 is a slightly less shaky bet.

If you really want a Windows Phone, wait until the first WP8 devices ship. Seriously, as of right now, WP7 is completely dead.

It's just that I have not felt for a phone like Lumia 800 since the days of the first iPhone or even iPhone 4. Lumia 800 is something special and specs I don't care about. It's sleek and fluid. I don't like Lumia 900, it's too big for its design, there's no magenta color and the screen is flat instead of curved. The WP7.8 has given it new life in my opinion, though I know it won't be updated after that.

But it also feels a bit bare bones, so I have changed my focus to Galaxy Nexus; it's one sexy phone and I love the thinness and weight. Even the texture feel on the back. It would be nice to try out Android again, question is if I really need it when I already got an iPhone 4 that just works.

Gabyskra

Banned
I have had this phone for more than 6 months now and I have not felt the slightest hint of envy for any other phone. This is truly weird.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Galaxy Nexus truly raised the bar IMO in a way few others have. It's like, in terms of bar-raisingness, there's the iPhone (self explanatory), iPhone 4 (retina), Nexus One (1 GHz processor), and now the Galaxy Nexus staring down at the rest.

The One X and S3 are nice, but they're very very slight incremental improvements on what the Galaxy Nexus accomplished, I don't care what anyone says.

I have had this phone for more than 6 months now and I have not felt the slightest hint of envy for any other phone. This is truly weird.

The only thing the Galaxy Nexus lacks that people might really want is the microSD slot if they have huge music collections they want to tote around all the time. Besides that, the newer phones with quad-cores and Snapdragon S4 win benchmarks but in practice the app switches 0.1 seconds faster, you'll never notice the difference in the real world and most of the performance improvement is negated by the monstrously inefficient skins like Sense and TouchWiz slathered all over everything.

The Galaxy Nexus is inarguably mid-to-late 2011 hardware but combine it with stock Android, no bloatware clogging everything up, and Google's personal touch and you get something that's much more than the sum of it's middling hardware parts. A phone is both hardware and software after all, and only one phone is Pure Google without heavy skins replacing the whole UI and carrier bloat out the ass.

The One X and S3 are nice, but they're very very slight incremental improvements on what the Galaxy Nexus accomplished, I don't care what anyone says.

The One X and S3 are regressive in a way, they try to revert the ICS UI design to look like Gingerbread just to preserve the consistency of their tryhard skinning. It's like Dell started selling PCs with the whole UI replaced so that Windows 7 looked like Windows XP, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!

Gabyskra

Banned
The only thing the Galaxy Nexus lacks that people might really want is the microSD slot if they have huge music collections they want to tote around all the time. Besides that, the newer phones with quad-cores and Snapdragon S4 win benchmarks but in practice the app switches 0.1 seconds faster, you'll never notice the difference in the real world and most of the performance improvement is negated by the monstrously inefficient skins like Sense and TouchWiz slathered all over everything.

The Galaxy Nexus is inarguably mid-to-late 2011 hardware but combine it with stock Android, no bloatware clogging everything up, and Google's personal touch and you get something that's much more than the sum of it's middling hardware parts. A phone is both hardware and software after all, and only one phone is Pure Google without heavy skins replacing the whole UI and carrier bloat out the ass.

To be honest, even on the hardware front, the design is really important to me, and nothing has come close to it IMO.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It took me a while, and a period of owning the device itself, but I do like the looks and design of the GN a lot. The solid black, buttonless and curved face looks pretty in press shots but is gorgeous in action. I liked the consistent look of the Nexus S a lot, too.

Still, I can't help but backslide a bit to the original Nexus-ers... The Nexus One still might be my favorite smartphone design of all time, and I wish HTC would return to make a Nexus one day. (Hey, with five of them supposedly hitting this year, chances are good!)

Top Bottom