• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 07/14/15

RE_Player

I'm glad Dan is a fan of God of War. It's amazing the entire bombcast crew, past and present, have hated the series. It's totally fine to not like the series but it's good hearing impressions from a fan view.

daveo42

Banned
I'm with the rest of the crew, Dan. I never got into GoW and I got bored with it really fast. They do look good though.

Dan didn't know people don't like God of War? Has he never like, talked to Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry fans?

I guess he also did really like DmC so lol

Fjordson

Good talk on Iwata and really appreciate them putting it near the front of the show.

Dan didn't know people don't like God of War? Has he never like, talked to Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry fans?

Dan's just a big fan of the genre in general I think. I know he's a huge fan of all the Devil May Cry games and I believe the first few Ninja Gaidens as well.

I actually thought that people loved God of War, and that I was the outlier because I didn't like the series. I feel vindicated.

Also, if Kojima starts Periscoping his jacket shopping, you can count me in.

Reasons why no one took L.A. Noire's ideas -

1. L.A. Noire sucked
2. Ace Attorney already existed
3. Everything about the face tech was cool except for how it was actually implemented into the game (poorly)

Dizzy-4U

Holy crap! I never knew Dan was in L.A. Noire. He's still full of surprises :O

PNWsGjP.jpg

Wye4Evg.png

Edit: That Knights Of Cydonia talk. Deja Vu from a few years ago...

I was a psp man back in the day. Good times. Lately I've wanted to pick up a DS to catch up on that system. Too bad there wasn't a digital store then. I imagine tracking down the jrpgs I want to play would be a hassle (and probably expensive).

Also, McDonalds had lobster stuff up here in Maine

RE_Player

To be fair I don't much of those PSP games. Is the story better written in those?
I would say so. They dig deep into Kratos' past and motivations as well as have stronger supporting roles in my opinion. They aren't as grand in scale and scope compared to the console games but they maintain that God of War feel. There are HD versions of them on the PS3 if you have one.

As for the God of War discussion, I think they are too hard on it.

God of War- 94 on Metacritc (Based on 75 reviews) (PS2) (2004)
God of War II- 93 on Metacritic (Based on 70 reviews) (PS2) (2007)
God of War III- 92 on Metacritc (Based on 101 reviews) (PS3) (2010)
God of War: Chains of Olympus- 91 on Metacritc (Based on 79 reviews) (PSP) (2008)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta- 86 on Metacritic (Based on 73 reviews) (PSP) (2010)
God of War: Ascension- 80 on Metacritc (Based on 89 reviews) PS3 (2013)

erawsd

Until I started coming to GAF I had no idea either. In fact, I've had that experience with a lot of games I've enjoyed.

Jintor

Until I started coming to GAF I had no idea either. In fact, I've had that experience with a lot of games I've enjoyed.

i mean if you're not looking online for the conversation you probably won't be aware, right? I had no idea what the wider gaming world thought of games I liked until I started trawling messageboards.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Everything said about God of War by everybody who isn't Dan was absolutely correct. Fuck God of War.

God of War is one of the best action games of all time.

That said, I wouldn't mind not playing another one for a long time. :p

jambo

Can't believe how much I disagree with Brad over UT.

UT99 movement and speed is the best, everything afterwards has felt slightly off.

I love Ninja Gaiden and like/appreciate Devil May Cry(although I'll never be good at it) and still think God of War is one of the best action series of all time. They take completely different approaches to combat so comparisons are silly. God of War actually has real level design and puzzles whereas Ninja Gaiden and DMC are just gauntlets for combos.

God of War has always been one of the better AAA series to me. Great, challenging combat(don't play on normal if you want to be punished, much like any other action game other than DMC 3) put into huge adventures with some decently challenging puzzles spread throughout.

yami4ct

Hearing Dan beings surprised by the God of War talk was hilarious. I can see why people liked the series, but I also totally agree its time is past. Those games to me were just about the spectacle, which was impressive but doesn't do it for me anymore. Everything about playing those games was so bland and tired compared to other action games. If you could give me GoW spectacle with Platinum style action, maybe I would be interested, but I'm just as cool with the series staying dead.

On the "Kratos is a good character" front, Dan couldn't be further off. Kratos has and has always been boring as hell.

erawsd

i mean if you're not looking online for the conversation you probably won't be aware, right? I had no idea what the wider gaming world thought of games I liked until I started trawling messageboards.

Well, its not that I wasn't looking online. Back then I would frequent Gamefaqs and Gamespot.

Wensih

Boy you know what's annoying? When they mention a game once and then refer to it as "this game" for the rest of the discussion. I wasn't listening for a few seconds, zone back in on the interesting plot line of a game where you're aware that you're in a game and then for the rest of the discussion I'm left wondering how far back was the named mentioned because I don't really want to jump around in the podcast looking for it.

EDIT: Is it The Magic Circle? It was in the show notes, but looking up the wikipedia entry didn't mention what was being talked about. It would still be nice for them to refer to the title than being non-descriptive with "game".

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
+1 for Dan's God-of-War bewilderment and the ensuing discussion was hilarious.

God of War was a cool product of its time, but they definitely wore out a lot of the initial 'draw' to the series, imo.

I don't really know about the claim that a God of War sequel has more to offer than a Gears sequel, though.

Boy you know what's annoying? When they mention a game once and then refer to it as "this game" for the rest of the discussion. I wasn't listening for a few seconds, zone back in on the interesting plot line of a game where you're aware that you're in a game and then for the rest of the discussion I'm left wondering how far back was the named mentioned because I don't really want to jump around in the podcast looking for it.

EDIT: Is it The Magic Circle? It was in the show notes, but looking up the wikipedia entry didn't mention what was being talked about. It would still be nice for them to refer to the title than being non-descriptive with "game".

Sounds like you're describing the magic circle, yes.

jaina

yes I have that occasionally too with mentioned games/movies/shows/books. Podcasts in general (not just Bombcast) should take a cue from radio and mention the topic name again later in the conversation, or just before the segue.

Vire

+1 for Dan's God-of-War bewilderment and the ensuing discussion was hilarious.

God of War was a cool product of its time, but they definitely wore out a lot of the initial 'draw' to the series, imo.

I don't really know about the claim that a God of War sequel has more to offer than a Gears sequel, though.

It's amusing because I also think Gears was a product of its time. Gears is just as guilty of the dude bro, gross and juvenile humor as God of War.

This is coming from someone who absolutely fucking loved Gears 3 (especially the horde mode)... but I'm good. I don't need another.

Top Bottom