• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Knights History (PSP, Vanillaware) - Famitsu preview is up

duckroll said:
Wouldn't it need a release in English to begin with? Not sure about the prospects of that...
Do you think it's unlikely because of the PSP's age and relative unpopularity in the Western world or is there some other reason?

Neon_Icarus said:
Hope it is not too late in it's life cycle to get a localized version.

i'd like to think the lesson learned from persona 4 is that it's never really too late if the game's good...

meanwhile, yeah, i could definitely handle this game being localized...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sounds awesome but if it's turn based I kinda want it to be more than just combat combat combat... Can they offer that? Why couldn't it be a new Princess Crown...

Edit: I guess it will just be combat + cut scenes like a Tactics style game going by that map. Oh well.

madara

By the gods! A turned based 2D high art iconic rpg, how long I waited!
How can these little guys piss all over square and nintendo so bad artistically. We need more games like this and less polygon crap.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The_Darkest_Red said:
Do you think it's unlikely because of the PSP's age and relative unpopularity in the Western world or is there some other reason?
Yeah, that's the worry.

I'd really like to know how well recent J-PSP releases have been doing, especially the stuff from Falcom/XSEED.

Because the support from Japan doesn't seem to be slowing much and I'd love to keep getting these gems!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
madara said:
We need more games like this and less polygon crap.
What we need is less hyperbole and stupidly huge egos. Leave polygons alone if you don't like them!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Looks awesome!
Sounds Fun!
....PSP? :(

:lol: I have a PSP, but I never really PLAY the thing. Argh. Give this to me on a console! -shake fist- An HD one!

-ahem- This is a very nice suprise anyway, though. Nice to see them making an RPG... Vanillaware always seems to clunk up their action games with item mixing and over-tactical ideals that seem kinda outta-place in said action games (I like those ideas, but they're complex for complexities sake); So maybe that will fit that aspect of their designs more.

Will this be their first game with potential multiplayer? Hmm. Or did Grim-Grim have something I'm not aware of?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The_Darkest_Red said:
Their past games have been published by Atlus, Square, NIS, and new start ups like Ignition and Rising Star. They've only had 3 games released in US/PAL territories with 5 different publishers? Let alone the fact that the PSP is a duck in an ocean when it comes to marketplace with the bulls coming out of the gates. The prospect isn't so high.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone does pick it up for localization, but you'd be trying to move a building full of manure and only be able to shovel a cart.

Pejo

Day one, etc etc. I cannot and will not pass up a Vanillaware game. Art book just sweetens the deal.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MMV needs to find someone to bring over Half-Minute Hero Second and this game.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SAB CA said:
-ahem- This is a very nice suprise anyway, though. Nice to see them making an RPG... Vanillaware always seems to clunk up their action games with item mixing and over-tactical ideals that seem kinda outta-place in said action games (I like those ideas, but they're complex for complexities sake); So maybe that will fit that aspect of their designs more.
Maybe my memory is being fuzzy but the only game to really feature that was Odin Sphere. Muramasa was pretty damn straight-forward in comparison without any convoluted systems to fuss with. It's been a decade or so since I've played Princess Crown (oof) and I don't remember anything overly complex there either.

jj984jj said:
MMV needs to find someone to bring over Half-Minute Hero Second and this game.
HMH2. ;___;

Quixzlizx

This game is going to look gorgeous on a PSP Go. I'd cross my fingers for XSeed, but I don't know how their relationship with MMV is after Ignition "stole" Muramasa from them.

mollipen

I've gotten so trained to think that character customization only comes from 3D games that it's just blowing my mind that we'll have it here. Ahh, there's just so much potential for awesomeness here, and being on the PSP is the cherry on top.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Jimmy Stav said:
For the love of god drop the PSP's price to $99.
It already costs less than most DS models. Considering the tech disparity between the two, PSP's already ridiculously underpriced.

duckroll

Suzzopher said:
True, just saying it took nearly three years to get going.

Well, before that most JP developers were still on the PS2. It was only after 2006 that development really picked up on the DS, PSP, PS3, and 360.

Suzzopher

duckroll said:
Well, before that most JP developers were still on the PS2. It was only after 2006 that development really picked up on the DS, PSP, PS3, and 360.

Ah, never thought of it that way :)

Wow, looks amazing. I'll import the JP version just for the artbook! I bet Xseed, Atlus & Ignition are going to be tripping over each other to localize this.

Can someone get Shane (aka ManGod, aka Liquid Swords) Bettenhausen up in this thread so the game'll be on his radar?!

Mechar

Neo Member
Wow, such gorgeous game. But as with all previous games they have made, I wonder how the gameplay holds up.

Solune

Princess Skittles said:
Everything but Princess Crown, I beleive, has been.

Translation: GO PLAY GRIMGRIMOIRE, HEATHENS.
No Kumatanchi either =(. Here's hoping Grand Knight Story gets picked up though... Atlus heed the call!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Reluctant-Hero said:
Wow, looks amazing. I'll import the JP version just for the artbook! I bet Xseed, Atlus & Ignition are going to be tripping over each other to localize this.
XSEED are probably the only company that have a dime thrown in the well. It really depends on how well the Falcom games go though. I know they have an "agreement" with Marvelous over co-publishing rights, but damn this game is a new IP on a dead handheld in a genre that has lost whatever flair it had a decade ago. I love my PSP as much as anyone else but those bonbons aren't ripe.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Princess Skittles said:
Maybe my memory is being fuzzy but the only game to really feature that was Odin Sphere. Muramasa was pretty damn straight-forward in comparison without any convoluted systems to fuss with. It's been a decade or so since I've played Princess Crown (oof) and I don't remember anything overly complex there either.

HMH2. ;___;

I never got to play Princess Crown (I played Eclair in La Pucelle though! That almost counts! :lol:), but I remember hearing Odin Sphere's food system was suppose to be a more streamlined version of PC's (which doesn't sound right to me, either.)

I know that's one of the things I get annoyed with with Odin Sphere; it's a pain to go back, and have to go through all the grown/mixing/using stuff with some of the items. Especially when you need something NOT in the stage you're in, and it's been ages since you played, so you don't know which mad of what stage you're suppose to go to to get such things... argh.

shidoshi said:
I've gotten so trained to think that character customization only comes from 3D games that it's just blowing my mind that we'll have it here. Ahh, there's just so much potential for awesomeness here, and being on the PSP is the cherry on top.

It really is a great idea, given their style of character rendering. Similiar to the avatar customization in Dungeon Fighter Online. 2D is so vibrant and versetile when used right, shame so few seem to care to take the time to really develop it in games anymore :(

This looks fantastic and I really hope it comes to NA

I do wish they experimented more with artstyle. You could have told me this was from one of the PS2 games and I wouldn't have noticed. Of course it looks great but they have such talented artist that I wish they were branching out and trying different things

Acquiesc3

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
If you like SRPG's I would suggest Tactics Ogre. If you don't like SRPG's I would suggest Tactics Ogre.

I approve this message.

Anyway, those screens and artwork look wonderful. Looks like I'll be gaming on my psp longer than I thought.

Princess Skittles said:
Translation: GO PLAY GRIMGRIMOIRE, HEATHENS.

Damn straight.

duckroll said:
Wouldn't it need a release in English to begin with? Not sure about the prospects of that...

I'm holding out hope that NGP PSN BC will let a few more niche titles squeak through into the US, because there's a ton of great stuff hitting the PSP this year and it'd be a shame if none of it gets localized.

randomkid

Didn't MMV make a big deal about how they were never going to greenlight new IP again after Little King's Story and all those other games bombed? What happened to that? Or am I imagining things?

Anyways, game looks amazing, extremely excited, hope against hope it makes it out here.

Yuterald

O_O

looks ridiculous!

The turn based combat is actually a smart move for Vanilla. To be honest, Odin Sphere and Muramasa (never played Princess Crown) are not the strongest in the gameplay department. Hopefully the combat/mechanics turn out better in this one.

oh and Sakimoto is on board? Sign me the fuck up!

Jomjom

Banned
Odin Sphere and Muramasa are still some of my favorite games in recent memory, so PLEASE PLEASE release this in the states!

The End

randomkid said:
Didn't MMV make a big deal about how they were never going to greenlight new IP again after Little King's Story and all those other games bombed? What happened to that? Or am I imagining things?

Anyways, game looks amazing, extremely excited, hope against hope it makes it out here.

no new IP on the Wii

Top Bottom