• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Wrestler refuses to hit a Girl, forfeits match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunchbox

Banned
Feb-18

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highschool/news/story?id=6135272

Herkelman lost 5-1 on points to Indianola's Matt Victor in their 112-pound quarterfinals match, and was pinned by Des Moines Hoover senior Jordan Jones in their consolation match.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/...-wins-a-state-wrestling?urn=highschool-322846

On Thursday, a girl won a match at the most historic high school state wrestling tournament in the country, but she did so in an even more unusual and controversial way than most had imagined possible.
According to the Cedar Rapids Metro Sports Report, Des Moines Register and Associated Press, among other outlets, Cassy Herkelman, one of two girls who qualified for the Iowa state wrestling tournament, won the opening match in her Class 3-A, 112-pound classification by forfeit when her scheduled opponent, Joel Northrup, officially reported and withdrew from the bout, earning a loss but ensuring he could continue to participate in later matches at the tournament.

Northrup, a sophomore at Linn-Mar (Iowa) High, cited his personal faith as the motivating force for his forfeit. The withdrawal ensures he can finish no higher than third at the tournament, which follows his third-place finish in the 103-pound classification as a freshman.
"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan [Black] and their accomplishments," Northrup said in a statement given to the media following his official forfeit. "However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times.
"As a matter of conscience and faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

Another forfeit would all but end Northrup's tournament altogether, though it would hardly generate the attention or notoriety that his initial forfeit gained, given its history-making role in the annals of Iowa high school sports.

K5kEi.jpg

dSf2F.jpg

stone cold doesnt approve- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TPtM5nvNtc#t=0m30s

Big-E

Girl looks stronger than the guy in the 2nd picture. I think he was afraid to lose to the girl because if he did, he probably would get railed hard.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
This isn't really a good thing. But since there aren't separate women's divisions or anything.... meh *shrug*

markot

Banned
DY_nasty said:
This isn't really a good thing. But since there aren't separate women's divisions or anything.... meh *shrug*
Well, im sure more women would be willing to join the sport if they didnt have to fight men >.<

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
markot said:
Well, im sure more women would be willing to join the sport if they didnt have to fight men >.<
If she wants to fight guys, let her... just don't be this guy. "I SHALL NOT HARM THIS DELICATE FLOWER"

Neki

see he didn't want to sexually assault her because she wasn't dressed like a whore, theory is proven.

bengraven

I'd get a boner.

I would have no shame either.

I'd be whispering in her ear: "so you see, it's doing something for me; is it doing anything for you?"

Got into my first threesome in a similar situation.

Tashi0106 said:
Maybe he was just afraid of losing to a girl.

This is exactly correct. If she is there to wrestle, show her the respect and wrestle her as an equal, don't be a pussy and hide behind that bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom