• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you thought Diablo 3's economy was bad before [Duping exploit, trillions of gold]

Shouta

You dont understand that the game was BALANCED around the idea of the AH and the RMAH, which fundamentally changed the game for everyone not only for those that do *not* use it.
Point still stands, if the the game didnt have any auction houses drops would be different.

You could probably get through the game without using the AH now. Itemization still needs work though, mostly just for variety more than the actual drops.

Dahbomb

1.01, gotta give the true Diablo 3 experience to consoles
I think by the time the PS3 version comes out it will be on 1.09 or maybe even 1.1. If that's the case I await the "they finally made the loot drops not balanced around RMAH!" when the loot tables will be identical to the PC version.

They did talk about improving itemization improvements for 1.09 so I hope that makes it into the console versions.

Etnos

Banned
Sure.

xeld3uguff.png

Compared to hundreds or thousands of hours with D2. Just sayin'.

Real tragedy, but people can always move on an look to satisfy their needs of digital crack with other videogames... D3 hate is getting old and irrational to a point is not even funny anymore. This patch actually improved a lot the game, the mob ratio feels better than ever, people is playing in groups, gold farmers were nerfed.. and yet more negativity.

God I hate blizzard! I played this 60dlls videogame I hate for 600 hours... they can even deliver a 1000 hours.. they suck!

I think by the time the PS3 version comes out it will be on 1.09 or maybe even 1.1. If that's the case I await the "they finally made the loot drops not balanced around RMAH!" when the loot tables will be identical to the PC version.

They did talk about improving itemization improvements for 1.09 so I hope that makes it into the console versions.

I'm hoping it's some of the latest additions and upgrades and patches they've done to the base game.

Because again, the combat is so damn good, and the shit is kinda addictive, so I'm all for a non-RMAH version of this game.

Also, I'm kinda hyped about a combat roll, but that's might be the inner Ninja Gaiden Black fanboy in me, lol

inky

God I hate blizzard! I played this 60dlls videogame I hate for 600 hours... they can even deliver a 1000 hours.. they suck!

Why do you care so much if you love the game as is?

Exctly.. nothing for regular users that enjoy the game... It does fuel hyperbole statements about D3 on the internet.

Because its cool to hate diablo 3.

There's billions more of gold in circulation. The patch already devalued the gold you had, and other people having billions around devalue it even more. If you were planning on a nice upgrade for a certain item in the AH it might've just jumped in price.

It's not that hard to understand how this could affect random people who didn't partake in the exploit.

It's not about it being cool to hate D3, Etnos. It's just not an enjoyable experience in many people's eyes. Especially for the people who played previous Diablo titles. Items are horrible, it's all about main stats, the RMAH destroyed the spirit of what Diablo was and many other factors play into peoples dislike of the game. I never felt like I was part of a community playing D3. You're isolated and go to the RMAH when you need something.

More power to you if you enjoy it, just understand why such a large portion of the player base... stopped playing long ago.

Etnos

Banned
Why do you care so much if you love the game as is?

Not gonna lie, it always hurt when something you like a lot get so much bashing (human nature)... specially for what I believe the wrong reasons.

Blizzard is one of the few studios out there putting out full fledged "epic productions" if you will, they haven't fall into the free to play crap, and their games production values and polish are still unmatched.

D3 got hate because of the RMHA, which isn't actually a bad idea.. they weren't counting with the hypocrisy of some vocal minority in the community that spent tons of money on sweet shops during the D2 era but, wouldn't trust a open system... because "reasons"? i guess..

Tremis

This man does his research.
This incident is such sweet schadenfreude. I'm having a beer and watching the twitch streamers that got banned.

Not gonna lie, it always hurt when something you like a lot get so much bashing (human nature)... specially for what I believe the wrong reasons.

D3 got hate because of the RMHA, which isn't actually a bad idea.. they weren't counting with the hypocrisy of some vocal minority in the community that spend tons of money on sweet shops during the D2 era but, wouldn't trust a open system... because "reasons"? i guess..

D3 got hate for being a fundamentally flawed loot game. Those flaws with the loot go FAR deeper than the auction house. And if you haven't figured that out by the one year anniversary, then I'm not sure if there's anything we can say to convince you of the problems.

NeededSleep

Is it sad this is entertaining to me? Well rather how Blizzard will handle the situation.

When i quit Diablo 3 this was my first question i pondered for a while, how will they address the game when some sort of mass exploit destabilizes the economy.

Mass ban? Rollback? How would they handle the mass rollback for real money transactions that happened within that time frame?

Just really curious to see how this pans out, i hope it ends with the RMA being disabled permanently.

U Wot M8?

Banned
This may be an unpopular opinion, but is it so hard to just *not* use the AH/RMAH, and not care that others do?

Are people who can do that, freaks of nature?

(And don't tell me you *need* the AH or RMAH to play the game, have fun, and progress - because we'd both know you're lying).

No. I didn't buy a single item from either auction house and I completed Inferno fine. It was challenging, most definitely, I just knew it was going to be more fun that way. But no, you do not and never needed the auction houses.

The game servers are still up. So if they're going to do a rollback it would be kind of a dick move. Unless they can specifically target AH activity.

Also the economy was fucked before this. I think it's funny that people thinks this ruins what was already in ruins.

U Wot M8?

Banned
In the total time of D2 yes but D2 took an expansion to be come what it was, I think D3 will be looked at way more positive by the time of the first expansion.

This is such a great point that people here are just going to ignore because its easier to just asstalk and hate on.

The D2 that people nostalgia all over and praise was not D2 until after dozens of patches and...oh ya...a whole damn expansion.

At the same points in time D3 is ahead of where D2 was.

Loofy

Why are people talking like the point of the game is to finish inferno then move on to a next game. The people complaining finished inferno ages ago. The complaints are calling for a post game thats at least almost as good as D2.

That game could have been so fuckin' good w/o the auction house shitting it up. The gameplay and mechanics were excellent. But with no incentive for loot drops, it got old fast.

D3 got hate for being a fundamentally flawed loot game. Those flaws with the loot go FAR deeper than the auction house. And if you haven't figured that out by the one year anniversary, then I'm not sure if there's anything we can say to convince you of the problems.

By now, so much has changed in terms of when and how loot drops, it's not really the same game anymore. Yes, there still needs to be way more diversity in the type of affixes and skill-specific boosts to bring it up to D2 standards, but they're getting there. It's flawed at the moment, but nothing that can't be fixed in patches. So that means it is not *fundamentally* flawed. Just flawed. Here's to hoping its eventual xpac does for it, what D2's xpac did for D2.

Because vanilla D2 was not that great, even though many gloss over that fact.

If D3 does NOT get an xpac that adds the same level of functionality, features and item granularity as D2's one did, then yeah - I think it's got a shorter half-life than it, and we as fans, deserve. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it: in the meantime, D3 is a perfectly acceptable loot game, and fun to play, if it's your thing. If it's not your thing, PoE and T2 exist, so we're pretty blessed in the genre, for a change.

Etnos

Banned

That is false hyperbole statement, I'm not going to say the itemization was excellent either, but wouldn't be a believable internet statement if not disproportionate right?

Some fixes to itemization were done that worked somewhat, Patch 1.09 it's going to be a big itemization rehaul, Also crazy as it sounds I play D3 mostly because of the gameplay, never really I've never been that into loot.

U Wot M8?

Banned
People do realize that if the RMAH didnt exist, people would simply do the real money exchanges outside of the client like diablo 2?

And people would be trying to dupe stuff regardless.

But it's easier to hate for people like this.

So how many people here actually acquired "best in slot" items for D2 without trading? This is such a lame argument being used here especially when 3-4 slots in this game you can't get the best of from trading/AH.

You can beat the game on Hardcore Inferno with just the stuff you find in the game without ever using the AH or trading. The loot drop rate has improved greatly from when the game first came out.

You could probably get through the game without using the AH now. Itemization still needs work though, mostly just for variety more than the actual drops.
You could always beat Inferno without touching the AHs. It was more challenging and took longer, sure, but it was never impossible.
Like what? Most people just say "the game is based around RMAH" with nothing at all to back up what they say.

inky

Blizzard is one of the few studios out there putting out full fledged "epic productions" if you will, they haven't fall into the free to play crap, and their games production values and polish are still unmatched.

D3 got hate because of the RMHA, which isn't actually a bad idea.. they weren't counting with the hypocrisy of some vocal minority in the community that spent tons of money on sweet shops during the D2 era but, wouldn't trust a open system... because "reasons"? i guess..

So you take it personal when people dislike it, and you don't even realize the RMAH, as divisive as it is, is not even the main reason why people are disappointed by the game and usually "hate" on it.

And what you believe are the wrong reasons are what others believe to be the right reasons. You even say that you are not that much into loot so it doesn't bother you the loot is flawed, well guess what... for others the loot is all there is! Shocking, I know.

That is how different opinions work, and nothing personal, arguments like: "you are just hatin' " and "you are a vocal minority" are as tired as what you complain about. Plus what does it matter if they are a minority? Since when are game design choices up to a vote or a democracy? Even minorities have the right to complain about things that might seem badly implemented in games. Saying they shouldn't be listened to because they are less than the group you represent is pretty backwards commentary imo.

Rubius

This is such a great point that people here are just going to ignore because its easier to just asstalk and hate on.

The D2 that people nostalgia all over and praise was not D2 until after dozens of patches and...oh ya...a whole damn expansion.

As a reminder, here what the Lord of Destruction added to Diablo 2 :

"A fifth act taking place in and around Mount Arreat in the northern Barbarian Highlands, with an additional act boss, Baal.

Ethereal items: These items do not fully exist in the mortal plane and appear translucent to the human eye. Because of this, they cannot be repaired and will eventually "deteriorate", so they cannot be used anymore, but they also have better characteristics and lower requirements than their repairable equivalents. However, some magical ethereal items are self-repairing, and some have sockets, and can be made indestructible by inserting a Zod rune.

Runes: stones that give powerful attributes to a socketed item when placed in it or even more powerful bonuses when placed in a certain order forming a "runeword" (see Rune Words section below for more information).

Jewels: items serving a similar purpose to gems in that they can be placed in socketed items, but which have random characteristics as opposed to the set characteristics of gems and runes.

Charms: items giving boosts to character's stats when kept in the inventory of the player.

Two new character classes: the Assassin and the Druid.

An expanded private stash for storing items (double the size of the Diablo II stash).

An alternate mainhand/offhand setup that can be switched between via a hotkey in gameplay.

Hirelings as well as summons can now follow the player outside of the Act in which they were hired. They can also be equipped with armor, a helm, and a hireling-specific weapon (as well as a shield in one case). Hirelings can also be resurrected (for a price proportional to their level) when killed.

Class-specific items: new items that only a specific character class can use. These items often contain class-specific bonuses, often adding additional skill points for that character class.

Elite items: more powerful versions of items following the Normal and Exceptional items.

New unique items, including many Exceptional and Elite Uniques.

New set items, including sets that use Class-specific items (i.e. only one character class can complete certain sets).

The game can now be played at 800x600 resolution, up from the standard 640x480."

sega4ever

what you don't get is that you don't lose all that talent and experience of expansion diablo 2 with all the patches when you decide to start making diablo 3, you still have the blueprint for a great loot game. unless of course you fire the team.

Vee_One

D2 Expansion pack talk saddens me. Why does it take Blizzard 2.5 years to get expansion packs out (sc2) when it used to be 12 months. How long before we see new content for D3?

D2 Expansion pack talk saddens me. Why does it take Blizzard 2.5 years to get expansion packs out (sc2) when it used to be 12 months. How long before we see new content for D3?

Most likely when the PS3/PS4 version comes out. There's no way the game would be successful without it being D3+expansion.

Arzehn

If they were going to rollback the server would have went down by now. Looks like their just banning the people who duped and leaving the duped gold in the economy and pretending like nothing happened. Not the first time.

D2, even at launch, was wayyyy less broken than D3 is at this point. You can't "fix" things when it's the core of the game itself that is broken.

Dahbomb

The counter point to the expansion talk is that Blizzard had nearly a decade to implement stuff from D2 LoD into D3 vanilla. The focus of D3 wasn't to expand upon D2 but rather to simplify and streamline it. You really can't deny this especially now that the game is coming on consoles and some of the design decisions for the game make sense (like having only 6 active skills, perfect for console play where you can assign 4 abilities to face buttons, 2 to triggers).

I hope Blizzard has big stuff planned for the expansion, its going to be hard for many people to put down money upfront for the game a second time around.

Etnos

Banned
So you take it personal when people dislike it, and you don't even realize the RMAH, as divisive as it is, is not even the main reason why people are disappointed by the game and usually "hate" on it.

And what you believe are the wrong reasons are what others believe to be the right reasons. You even say that you are not that much into loot so it doesn't bother you the loot is flawed, well guess what... for others the loot is all there is! Shocking, I know.

That is how different opinions work, and nothing personal, arguments like: "you are just hatin' " and "you are a vocal minority" are as tired as what you complain about. Plus what does it matter if they are a minority? Since when are game design choices up to a vote or a democracy? Even minorities have the right to complain about things that might seem badly implemented in games. Saying they shouldn't be listened to because they are less than the group you represent is pretty backwards commentary imo.

That is a long abstract argument with some valid observations, that derails for my main point: I'm not against different opinions, I embrace different opinions...

I'm however tired of people that so vehemently dislike Diablo 3 but waste hundreds of hours playing it, and after a year.. can't get over it and move on. Is this a massive schizophrenia phenomenon? do they understand what priority mean (you usually don't prioritize hundreds of hours into something you don't like), don't they understand the meaning of congruence?

jeeebus I don't know anymore.

U Wot M8?

Banned
what you don't get is that you don't lose all that talent and experience of expansion diablo 2 with all the patches when you decide to start making diablo 3, you still have the blueprint for a great loot game. unless of course you fire the team.

...Umm actually you can, and they DID lose that talent and experience. The team that worked on D3 is not the same team that worked on D2.

Also, once again, I have to add the D2 that people keep going back to was NOT that D2 at this same point in its lifespan. D2 was NOT the amazing game people remember at this point, it was only after dozens of patches and a full fledged expansion where it truly stood out as people conveniently don't remember.

Daingurse

Game was such a clusterfuck. I got the game for my birthday last year and just didn't feel the game at all. I only beat the game once, felt no compulsion to do it again really. That carrot on a stick just wasn't worth it, and the AH really undermined the whole point of the game.

I still love a good loot fest, I adore PSO and it's rare drops. Hell I spent half a summer fairly recently hunting a Red Sword on Schthack BB. I fucking found one! With Hit% too! Yeah mutha fucker! But nothing in Diablo 3 was particularly interesting, really surprised me. Thought I would love it initially.

Still might pick up the PS4 version though. Couch Coop and weed might make it aight.

U Wot M8?

Banned
D2, even at launch, was wayyyy less broken than D3 is at this point. You can't "fix" things when it's the core of the game itself that is broken.
Just curious, what are these things that you think are/were broken at D3s launch. I also really wonder if you played D2 right away or even in the same timeframe if you think your first point is true, but I have no proof of that so I will have to put my bowl of skepticism away for now.
The counter point to the expansion talk is that Blizzard had nearly a decade to implement stuff from D2 LoD into D3 vanilla. The focus of D3 wasn't to expand upon D2 but rather to simplify and streamline it. You really can't deny this especially now that the game is coming on consoles and some of the design decisions for the game make sense (like having only 6 active skills, perfect for console play where you can assign 4 abilities to face buttons, 2 to triggers).

I hope Blizzard has big stuff planned for the expansion, its going to be hard for many people to put down money upfront for the game a second time around.

Team that made D2 is not the same as D3. Further you would still having people crying that "Wahh D3 is just D2 with better graphics." That is a logical fallacy argument waiting to happen as they are damned if they do, damned if they don't going by that logic.

Actually you can deny what you said, but the issues with it coming to consoles 18 months later, removing big things about, and fixing things people didn't like in D2, should pretty much do the talking for me.

This is really just another silly wine topic we get, thankfully now only, every 3-4 weeks.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If anything that makes complaints more valid.

Clearly, the biggest problem with Diablo III is that I can't get psychologically duped into repeating the same repetitive content over and over again through regular reward cycles of a minute of satisfaction every few hours.

Why are people talking like the point of the game is to finish inferno then move on to a next game. The people complaining finished inferno ages ago. The complaints are calling for a post game thats at least almost as good as D2.

The post-game of D2 was endless cow runs and/or pindleskin/baal runs. It was shit.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
That is a long abstract argument with some valid observations, that derails for my main point: I'm not against different opinions, I embrace different opinions...

I'm however tired of people that so vehemently dislike Diablo 3 but waste hundreds of hours playing it, and after a year.. can't get over it and move on. Is this a massive schizophrenia phenomenon? do they understand what priority mean (you usually don't prioritize hundreds of hours into something you don't like), don't they understand the meaning of congruence?

jeeebus I don't know anymore.

I don't think you know what schizophrenia is either. Also, playing a game doesn't take away your right to criticize it; if anything, quite the opposite.

ElyrionX

D3 has issues but the AH and RMAH isn't one of them. The auction houses are only a facilitator of transactions which would have taken place ultimately in one form or another, inside or outside of the game.

Why is it so hard for people understand? The positives that the AHs bring to the game far far outweighs the negatives.

I'm surprised that many people even still play D3. Got to inferno then stopped, never feeling the same urge D2 gave of wanting to grind. Part AH, part no incentive for people to group.

Dahbomb

I'm surprised that many people even still play D3. Got to inferno then stopped, never feeling the same urge D2 gave of wanting to grind. Part AH, part no incentive for people to group.
A lot of people play to get to 100th Paragon level, beat MP10 Inferno or to get to some absurd 500K DPS threshold.

Dahbomb

Why do you play, Dahbomb?
Honestly today was the first time in 3 months that I played the game and that was because a new patch was released today. I wanted to test it out and I liked what I played (little things like markers on your partners on the mini map indicating if they are fighting elites or treasure goblins). I am only at Paragon Level 30 though and I doubt I would get to Level 50 before the next patch.

ElyrionX

The post-game of D2 was endless cow runs and/or pindleskin/baal runs. It was shit.

True. People behaving as if D2 had some magical endgame with infinite gameplay variety are clearly deluded.

Of course D2 endgame also includes spending hours on powerleveling new characters just to see how good or fun a new build is. Now, not only are there far more skills to play around with but it just takes a few minutes to make build changes and hit a high level dungeon to test it.

As it is right now, the D3 endgame is far superior to that of D2.

ElyrionX

The game has changed a lot since you stopped. The incentives to group up are MASSIVE now. Proportionally lower enemy health and magic and gold find bonuses are now applied to multiplayer games.

JCizzle

I think Diablo 3's console version will be the ultimate version for me. I really like the current game, but balancing the itemization RNG to take into account your class and also no AH will be amazing.

Kunan

.25 for 10 million? Wtf is the point of even playing anymore... I had hoped to go back and play another character for a bit, but I doubt I could. Only thing that keeps bringing me back is to help another friend get their hellfire ring.

ElyrionX

You do at a certain point though. Otherwise it is almost impossible to get the loot you need to keep up because the itemization almost seems like it is built to send you to the AH.

You say this in every fucking Diablo 3 bash thread but when was the last time you played this game? Your view is outdated and the game has changed a lot. It's time you keep your bullshit to yourself until you actually play the game again.

Glad I sold all my items for $400 before I quit months ago.

Thanks for paying me to play your game blizz, Ill be back for the inevitable expansion that makes all the current items useless.

Top Bottom