• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you thought Diablo 3's economy was bad before [Duping exploit, trillions of gold]

Overboost

Goddammit, OP.

...it literally just shit the bed.

Unless you think the D3 economy is a physical entity that was lying in a real bed and defecated on the sheets, it only figuratively shit the bed. Seriously, the entire world needs to start using "literally" properly, or not at all.

But yeah, bad news for Blizzard. I thought D3 was completely worth the $60 and I barely touched the RMAH. Curious to see how the PS3 version fares as a real game with no auction house.

D3 has issues but the AH and RMAH isn't one of them. The auction houses are only a facilitator of transactions which would have taken place ultimately in one form or another, inside or outside of the game.

Why is it so hard for people understand? The positives that the AHs bring to the game far far outweighs the negatives.
In backwards world this is completely true.

At the very least its the reason the game is online-only, which isn't a benefit to the game in any way, but comes with several negatives.

That and the game has to be balanced towards a playerbase that plays the AH.

Etnos

Banned
I don't think you know what schizophrenia is either. Also, playing a game doesn't take away your right to criticize it; if anything, quite the opposite.

mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought process, with disorganized speech and thinking.. It usually involves the brain being conflicted with contradictory ideas at the same time... yeah remains me of the official D3 forums.

Was really a passive aggressive "insult" necessary?

Diablo 3 is not being criticized, its being publicly lynched by an entitled vocal minority that wasn't satisfied with the product they "believe" they deserve/want.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought process, with disorganized speech and thinking.. It usually involves the brain being conflicted with contradictory ideas at the same time... yeah remains me of the official D3 forums.

Was really a passive aggressive "insult" necessary?

Diablo 3 is not being criticized, its being publicly lynched by an entitled vocal minority that wasn't satisfied with the product they "believe" they deserve/want.

Yes. You still don't know what schizophrenia is or choose to use it inaccurately. It's not contradictory to play or have played a game and have major complaints about it, either. You're writing people off because they have a lot of experience playing and hate the game so...their opinions are not valid if they're negative, only if they're positive. Nice logic.

pakkit

Banned

Merriam-Webster registers pretty low on the "respectable dictionaries" meter. Let's turn to my man the Oxford English Dictionary - "In its standard use, literally means ‘in a literal sense, as opposed to a nonliteral or exaggerated sense’: I told him I never wanted to see him again, but I didn’t expect him to take it literally. In recent years, an extended use of literally (and also literal) has become very common, where literally (or literal) is used deliberately in nonliteral contexts, for added effect: they bought the car and literally ran it into the ground. This use can lead to unintentional humorous effects (we were literally killing ourselves laughing) and is not acceptable in formal English."

Zukuu

Banned
I enjoy Torchlight 2. Now it's moddable. Just saying.

We tried to play Torchlight 2 but had constant desync problems. No matter what we've tried, it doesn't stay stable. We looked the problem up, and a vast amount of player encounter this problem, yet there seems no fix for it. As shitty as D3 is, they have at least a support. >_>
I Actually enjoyed D3 up to the "repair cost patch". Stopped playing immediately afterwards.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't understand this shit but this guy:

http://www.twitch.tv/d3_inigomontoya

is just buying a ton of items for $2b each. He keeps saying "2 b's!" and "sniped!" and I think he might need to be medicated.

edit- ok he's playing a video of himself doing this from earlier. He got banned for it.

Etnos

Banned
Yes. You still don't know what schizophrenia is or choose to use it inaccurately. It's not contradictory to play or have played a game and have major complaints about it, either. You're writing people off because they have a lot of experience playing and hate the game so...their opinions are not valid if they're negative, only if they're positive. Nice logic.

You probably right... if we resource to plain logic. However, using common sense... kinda baffles me "experienced" people lets say +500 hours.. dislike the game so much, and yet they stuck with it .. I mean there are professional diplomas that take less time to accomplish.

They opinions might be valid in a high abstract plane of uber videogaming, to us mortals with job and stuff... the game still kinda awesome.

zulfate

like i have said before this is a fantastic game but it just needs a expansion to iron out the kinks, i know blizz can do it. i think the atmosphere and the combat are what really keep making me come back.

there is some truth to people bitching yet put in 150 hours plus, i came back after many months of not playing and have now put in an additional 60 hours. i can honestly say that this game is good just not what the majority wants i guess. i am sure blizz will just redo the whole system learn from there mistakes and move on. i think blizz is a great company and they put out quality games, so hey you have a misstep with d3 ok well lets get over it and see how we can fix it, which we all know they are...come blizzcon the expansion will make us exited again i know it. good luck blizzard!

U Wot M8?

Banned
^This.

This topic is just the typical hate trash from people that are complaining about a game that they put dozens and dozens of hours into that, if what they say is tru,e havent even played the latest version of the game while praising its prequel which had many of the same problems at the same time in its lifespan.

It sad really, if they really dont like it then why are they even still talking about it? Its sad, people need to grow up.

Besides. Where else can those of us with an insatiable lust for numbers and health-bars go, for sweet relief?

Ofgce8d.jpg

y0aMoH0.jpg

itUPfJO.jpg

I clearly have a problem.

When you see all those numbers and colors flashing on the screen, bodies exploding in demonic bursts, and gold/loot flying out...you can't help doing it over and over and over and...

BigDug13

Merriam-Webster registers pretty low on the "respectable dictionaries" meter. Let's turn to my man the Oxford English Dictionary - "In its standard use, literally means ‘in a literal sense, as opposed to a nonliteral or exaggerated sense’: I told him I never wanted to see him again, but I didn’t expect him to take it literally. In recent years, an extended use of literally (and also literal) has become very common, where literally (or literal) is used deliberately in nonliteral contexts, for added effect: they bought the car and literally ran it into the ground. This use can lead to unintentional humorous effects (we were literally killing ourselves laughing) and is not acceptable in formal English."

Right. It says FORMAL ENGLISH. Neogaf is literally the furthest thing from formal English.

zulfate

Besides. Where else can those of us with an insatiable lust for numbers and health-bars go, for sweet relief?

I clearly have a problem.

i actually just cut out white damage...it cleans it up a bit since i dont crit with every hit. makes the game feel more like a old school beat'um up :)

The game has changed a lot since you stopped. The incentives to group up are MASSIVE now. Proportionally lower enemy health and magic and gold find bonuses are now applied to multiplayer games.

I see, that's good. My biggest criticism was that Blizzard made the game too SP friendly when part of what made D2 so fun for me was the dungeon running with random groups. Might get back in with the new expansion whenever that comes along.

Deadly

Just curious, what are these things that you think are/were broken at D3s launch. I also really wonder if you played D2 right away or even in the same timeframe if you think your first point is true, but I have no proof of that so I will have to put my bowl of skepticism away for now.

Off the top of my head there's that bug that made the wizard invincible. Monsters would basically ignore you. This was only made public about 3-4 months into the game. There was an act4 boss that you could basically kite around as a wizard and he would never attack you. Same with spider lady boss, I think all you had to do was stay at the stairs.

I did play D2 from launch and I have to note I quit BEFORE they made all the awesome changes (patch 1.10 I think?) and that still got me to play for 3 years. D3 got me for what 3-4 months?

I also call bullshit on those who say they finished all of inferno without using the AH pre-patch.

U Wot M8?

Banned
Off the top of my head there's that bug that made the wizard invincible. Monsters would basically ignore you. This was only made public about 3-4 months into the game. There was an act4 boss that you could basically kite around as a wizard and he would never attack you. Same with spider lady boss, I think all you had to do was stay at the stairs.

I did play D2 from launch and I have to note I quit BEFORE they made all the awesome changes (patch 1.10 I think?) and that still got me to play for 3 years. D3 got me for what 3-4 months?

I also call bullshit on those who say they finished all of inferno without using the AH pre-patch.

Soooo you are saying one thing about one class that was fixed pretty quickly is the only thing you can remember of the top of your head? Was there anything else?

Also you playing D2 for longer than you played D3 is completely irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that D2 had JUST as many issues as D3 did in this same timeframe. Also you are biologically older than you were with D2, you probably don't have as much time as you did for D2 and you are able to see things differently, being older. I still bet you put, I don't know, 60+ hours minimum into D3 right?

And yes, many people finished Inferno with no AH, hell the group I played with did a few times, however we have been playing games for a looooong time so I would definitely say that was an exception. But to say no one did it simply more of the same hyperbolic tripe thats getting tossed around in a D3 topic as usual.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Also you playing D2 for longer than you played D3 is completely irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that D2 had JUST as many issues as D3 did in this same timeframe. Also you are biologically older than you were with D2, you probably don't have as much time as you did for D2 and you are able to see things differently, being older. I still bet you put, I don't know, 60+ hours minimum into D3 right?

Both games had issues, D2 was just fun enough to stick with in spite of them.

Maledict

The RMAH has never bothered me as a casual player - it's the gold AH that really messes up the game by providing so much loot that nothing you find is as good as what you can buy. 20 paragon levels in and I'm still not wearing a single thing I've found myself, and nor have I found a 'big money' item so can't buy an upgrade either.

Not happy with the bug either - it's going to lead to further massive inflation on the gold AH putting items further out of reach. At this point I honestly believe a ladder system with *no* AH might be the best thing for the game.

Morokh

The RMAH has never bothered me as a casual player - it's the gold AH that really messes up the game by providing so much loot that nothing you find is as good as what you can buy

The game sucks at giving you relevant loot so you have to buy things from the AH it's not the other way around, the gold AH wouldn't even be a problem if loot was actually way more balanced varied, and overall interesting.
If not for these kind of exploits RMAH is really the lesser problem and one can perfectly ignore it.

ElyrionX

In backwards world this is completely true.

At the very least its the reason the game is online-only, which isn't a benefit to the game in any way, but comes with several negatives.

That and the game has to be balanced towards a playerbase that plays the AH.

I agree with your points but I don't think they are reasons that are strong enough to justify the removal of the AHs.

Online-only probably doesn't matter to a majority of the people who play Diablo since it's the online component that gives the game its longevity.

The game being balanced towards a playerbase that plays the AH is certainly valid. But I think Blizzard has already addressed this remarkably well with the MP system.

glaurung

Holy shit, their gold system is retarded as hell.

Aren't we like one year out from the 1 year birthday of D3?

I haven't logged in... in over eight months or something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hahahahaha

edit: Sorry.

But I just couldn't hold my laughter.

KuroNeeko

I think it's just a case of language evolving. There were probably so many people who used the terms incorrectly that it finally started gaining acceptance. It almost reads like, "Well, this is the right way to use it, but since some people literally (lol) can't seem to wrap their heads around it, we let them get away with it in non-formal English."

It's not the first time that the misuse of a word has led to its eventually acceptance.

I think it's just a case of language evolving. There were probably so many people who used the terms incorrectly that it finally started gaining acceptance. It almost reads like, "Well, this is the right way to use it, but since some people literally (lol) can't seem to wrap their heads around it, we let them get away with it in non-formal English."

It's not the first time that the misuse of a word has led to its eventually acceptance.
It's bullshit though, so many people have been using it wrong than we now have a word "literally" that both means "exactly true" and "not exactly true", with no way of distinguishing how it's used.

Why even bother having a dictionary if they're just going to ignore it and add the wrong meaning of the word anyway if it's said enough? It would be like changing the definition of the word true to mean both true or false.

Deadly

Soooo you are saying one thing about one class that was fixed pretty quickly is the only thing you can remember of the top of your head? Was there anything else?

And yes, many people finished Inferno with no AH, hell the group I played with did a few times, however we have been playing games for a looooong time so I would definitely say that was an exception. But to say no one did it simply more of the same hyperbolic tripe thats getting tossed around in a D3 topic as usual.
You realize they might have fixed it quickly but that's only because they actually found out about it. Had it not been publicly said on forums and whatever some people would probably still be prancing around as invincible wizards. Same with force armor except that one was so blatantly obvious, how it even got through play-testing is beyond me.

I'm talking PRE-NERF inferno. If you finished it post-nerf without AH, then it's normal.
Both games had issues, D2 was just fun enough to stick with in spite of them.
Exactly.

Into

The game was already on its knees, the economy was already screwed up being any repair 2 weeks into the game. The fact that its more screwed up now makes little difference, there are diminishing returns on "good", but there are also diminishing returns on "bad". It could not really get worse, not much worse than what it was.

Shame because i feel they have made some good changes and latest few patches to make the game more fun.

However the game is in such a state that developers are just left standing around, pissing into the wind

It's bullshit though, so many people have been using it wrong than we now have a word "literally" that both means "exactly true" and "not exactly true", with no way of distinguishing how it's used.

It's like when people pronounce 'often' as 'off-ten'. It's wrong, but since so many dipshits starting using it, it's now officially a correct alternative. I don't see why we have to bend to ignorance.

...it literally just shit the bed. Roll back?

It started with the new patch today. Blizzard dropped the gold floor from .25cents a mil to .25 cents per 10 mil.

Enterprising players then bought gems for real money and converted them to gold. People were making billions on this.

But then! A gold dupe has just been discovered with some streamers duping TRILLIONS in gold by playing around with the 2 auction houses.

It is quite the mess at the moment.

what does this mean?

10dollas

Banned

Why even bother having a dictionary if they're just going to ignore it and add the wrong meaning of the word anyway if it's said enough? It would be like changing the definition of the word true to mean both true or false.

Ahh but you do have a way to distinguish it. It's a linguistic term called pragmatics, aka context. And before you call that bullshit, most words spoken require some type of context to understand. The most obvious are indexical words like here, there, local, now and so forth.

I strongly suggest for any who despise (on principle) english or colloquial english use, to take some linguistics classes. They are quite enlightening and useful to compliment everyday-english-use understanding

Top Bottom