• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you thought Diablo 3's economy was bad before [Duping exploit, trillions of gold]

Dahbomb

Is Path of Exile actually better than Diablo III?
In terms of mechanics for these types of games, PoE is way ahead. Better itemization, better customization, huge skill forest (can't even call it a skill tree), map system for more end game content etc. The only real thing D3 has over PoE is the feel of the combat.

In terms of mechanics for these types of games, PoE is way ahead. Better itemization, better customization, huge skill forest (can't even call it a skill tree), map system for more end game content etc. The only real thing D3 has over PoE is the feel of the combat.

yeah if POE can get their combat better feeling it would be perfect imo. Its not ....bad per say but Diablo 3 just nailed it so well, that everything else looks a bit blander.

I like how PoE inverted the traditional skill and loot system these games have. But I ended up not liking it. I want more control over my skills.

And the passive skill tree is just about the worst way to present that information. I find it hilarious that anyone could think it has any hidden depth. It's a horrible mess that's a mile wide and an inch deep.

Mugaaz

I'm sorry but people should stop trying to undersell the continued impact of the AH on the game. Yes, it's probably possible to finish Inferno mode without using it (at a push).

But there is no way on earth people are progressing in the game and actually farming hellfire rings, monster power levels etc. without using the AH. The drop rate on useable items is simply too low. My wizard is kitted out in archon farming gear that cost less than a million gold in total. I've farmed 21 paragon levels with him and not found a *single* upgrade. Without the AH progression at level 60 is just not possible - the time commitments due to the way loot works a ludicrously, insanely high.

I 100% agree. This was MY entire problem with the game. I wanted to farm and get loots, all I did was farm, sell stuff for gold, use said gold to buy upgrade off AH. I almost never found upgrades for myself after I beat A1 inferno. I think even in PoE the currency and trading got to be a problem. I sick and tired of having to spam trade chat and trade forums, or auction houses, in order to upgrade my character. Can we have an ARPG that disallows ALL trading, or at the very least have half of the item slots only be able to be equipped with self found gear?

I don't get why people think trading is so good in these games, I fucking hate it. The only thing trading brings to the table is a way to convert items that are good for others into stuff thats good for you. Theres SO many other ways to accomplish that though. I understand it does build a community, but there are tons of ways to do that as well.

All I want is a good ARPG where when I want to upgrade my character, the best way to accomplish that is running dungeons or bosses. Not using the AH or forums.

JWong

Banned
I 100% agree. This was MY entire problem with the game. I wanted to farm and get loots, all I did was farm, sell stuff for gold, use said gold to buy upgrade off AH. I almost never found upgrades for myself after I beat A1 inferno. I think even in PoE the currency and trading got to be a problem. I sick and tired of having to spam trade chat and trade forums, or auction houses, in order to upgrade my character. Can we have an ARPG that disallows ALL trading, or at the very least have half of the item slots only be able to be equipped with self found gear?

I don't get why people think trading is so good in these games, I fucking hate it. The only thing trading brings to the table is a way to convert items that are good for others into stuff thats good for you. Theres SO many other ways to accomplish that though. I understand it does build a community, but there are tons of ways to do that as well.

All I want is a good ARPG where when I want to upgrade my character, the best way to accomplish that is running dungeons or bosses. Not using the AH or forums.

Uh, why don't you just not trade?

My character is completely Uber in PoE, and everything I have was self-found/crafted.

Zaventem

diablo_3_crash.png

You can read this guy's piece here.

http://gameful.org/group/games-for-...eam-part-1-2-predictions-of-the-diablo-3-rmah

I don't understand how a company as big as blizzard didn't see this coming.

Maledict

To be fair, *most* people's worries were about them RMAH - mine included. Everyone was so worried that buying items for cash would ruin the game that no-one even contemplated that Blizzard would so screw up the loot drop rate that even the gold AH would wreck things.

Fundamentally the AH was a mistake. The error blizzard made was in thinking that because some D2 players used item sites everyone wanted to. Actually, as someone who played the game for years, as long as interesting items and set items dropped once in a while I didn't care about the trading market. Now I have too to progress.

The saddest thing is reading about people flipping items and playing the market. The best way to upgrade your character is not to play the game but to play the AH. I would honestly be better off doing that than farming MP1 for drops. That's just not right, and a huge disincentive for casual players to play, unlike D2 where I could still farm nightmare Mephisto and get decent drops once in a while.

kirblar

diablo_3_crash.png

You can read this guy's piece here.

http://gameful.org/group/games-for-...eam-part-1-2-predictions-of-the-diablo-3-rmah

I don't understand how a company as big as blizzard didn't see this coming.
Because you need people with both a working knowledge of economics and game design (specifically the incentive issues he mentions), and it doesn't seem that they went out and looked into this space whatsoever, likely out of basic ignorance (not meant maliciously), not knowing that they needed to at the time.

Because you need people with both a working knowledge of economics and game design (specifically the incentive issues he mentions), and it doesn't seem that they went out and looked into this space whatsoever, likely out of basic ignorance (not meant maliciously), not knowing that they needed to at the time.

Is still no excuse. Specially because many companies developing games with microtransactions are hiring economists.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I didn't even know about the hack, a friend of mine called me on Skype yesterday, he was acting really weird and told me to join his game fast so I did, he said to pick all his gear up and to take his gold, this motherfucker had 38 billions! He gave me all of it and seconds later he got DC'd because Blizzard banned him. I've played a couple hours more and then went to sleep. Today I log into the site and found this...
aUhFURT.png

Well I guess that's that.

Dang, so your friend muled gear on you and got you banned. Time to have a few words.

Diablo 3 was my worst gaming purchase of 2012. I kick myself for giving blizzard $60.

I gave Blizzard $100 for the CE, how do you think I feel? I played though D3 exactly once, on Normal. I couldn't even be motivated to go through it again on Nightmare, because I felt so incredibly let down by what I had just experienced.

I gave Blizzard $100 for the CE, how do you think I feel? I played though D3 exactly once, on Normal. I couldn't even be motivated to go through it again on Nightmare, because I felt so incredibly let down by what I had just experienced.

That's dumb, the game didnt get bad until Inferno. You didn't even scratch the surface.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm sorry but people should stop trying to undersell the continued impact of the AH on the game. Yes, it's probably possible to finish Inferno mode without using it (at a push).

But there is no way on earth people are progressing in the game and actually farming hellfire rings, monster power levels etc. without using the AH. The drop rate on useable items is simply too low. My wizard is kitted out in archon farming gear that cost less than a million gold in total. I've farmed 21 paragon levels with him and not found a *single* upgrade. Without the AH progression at level 60 is just not possible - the time commitments due to the way loot works a ludicrously, insanely high.

Are you saying diablo 2 was unaffected by third party sellers?

It's rhetoric to say the auction house is the real problem with the game. There's something called game design that is more at fault here. The auction house probably saved diablo 3

Are you saying diablo 2 was unaffected by third party sellers?

It's rhetoric to say the auction house is the real problem with the game. There's something called game design that is more at fault here. The auction house probably saved diablo 3

Right, but they designed the game this way on purpose. Blizzard wants people to use the AH. That's how they get paid. The game was balanced around forcing players to use the AH once they hit Inferno. D2 wasn't balanced around the third party sellers. That's why the RMAH is the problem.

Margalis

Banned
The AH effectively changes the game from being loot-centric to currency-centric.

This is a horrible change that undermines the single biggest selling point of the game. Randomish rewards rewarded at randomish intervals is psychologically addicting. A relatively predictable cash flow is not.

The problems with the AH were very predictable. Even if you know nothing about psychology, game design or virtual economies you could just read the GAF thread on Insect Armageddon.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Blizzard wanted people to use the AH.
This is what you meant to write, considering that they have many craftable items which are Bind On Account and have scapegoated the AH for a few months now.
That's how they get paid.
They get paid when the game sells. I'd wager that the ratio of their earnings from game sales to RMAH is 10:1 at minimum.
The game was balanced around forcing players to use the AH once they hit Inferno.
Not quite. Allow me to expand.
The game was balanced around forcing players who felt the insatiable need to instantly have BIS gear without spending thousands of hours in grinding to manually earn it to use the AH once they hit Inferno.
And this is why this statement is wrong:
RMAH is the problem.
Because, as previously stated, it's not the RMAH that is the problem, it is the game around RMAH that is the problem.

"Getting gear" is the only activity which Diablo 3 provides for the player. It is the only means for which any player has visible progress or differentiation between all other characters. There are no ladders, no skill stat points, no leagues, no rankings, no time trials, not enough randomized content, no worthwhile PVP - nothing for the player to do other than to grind for gear.

But rather than point this out, it's easy to repeat the May 2012 talking points. It's also easier for Blizzard staff to do the same, as it simultaneously makes it seem like they're addressing a fault of the game as well as obfuscate what Diablo 3 actually lacks.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
D3 was such a massive disappointment for me... I wanted so much from this game man.. Christ..

Could have been magical..

Risible

Diablo 3 was my worst gaming purchase of 2012. I kick myself for giving blizzard $60.

My feelings exactly. At least it made me cancel my Heart of the Swarm pre-order so I saved $40 there. Blizzard is going to have to do a lot to win me back as a customer. Such a bad taste left in my mouth :(.

Mugaaz

So because the option is there you have to use it?

why not just buy someone's paragon 100 account. that would be even more efficient.

Yes, because the option is there I do have to use it, because I want to play efficiently. I wouldn't buy someone's account, because its against the EULA, and because it's stupid. ARPGs are ALL about getting loot, you bet your ass I'm going to do it in the most efficient way.

I want the best option for gearing my character in an ARPG to be playing the game, and not the AH or forums. Period.

You know why people raid in WoW instead of farming gold for the AH? Because the best gear ONLY comes form raids and 99.9% of it can't be traded. The second it was faster to get gear through the AH than it is through raiding it would be broken as well. Why did people do Meph, Baal, and Pindleskin runs in D2? Because they were some of the most efficient runs to improve their gear. Its up to the designer of the game to decide what in game activies will be the most rewarding through the use of incentives. Obviously, they wanted you to do big long runs with the Nephalem Valor system, but the AH system trumped it in its capability to reward you. That's not an opinion, its a fact. The incentives for doing an A3 run are less than refreshing the AH.

jkanownik

Right, but they designed the game this way on purpose. Blizzard wants people to use the AH. That's how they get paid. The game was balanced around forcing players to use the AH once they hit Inferno. D2 wasn't balanced around the third party sellers. That's why the RMAH is the problem.

I can see why people may have had doubts at first, but they aren't really warranted anymore. Actions speak louder than words.

If Blizzard really wanted to drive and monetize the RMAH, they're doing a terrible job. They patched inferno multiple times to make it easier before they fixed simple problems with the AH. There are not any value added services available for the AH (people would pay a lot of money for more slots, an iOS/Android app and other features). They've done game play & item changes that had significant impacts on item values (preventing major players from dominating the AH by increasing risk of investing in the game). And the gold RMAH change would have been done a long time ago. Third party gold has been undercutting $0.25/million for a while.

Terra

Diablo 3 was my worst buy of 2012. The game was not close to D2 when it comes to excitement and replayability. I regret that buy so much. Put the game down after 4 weeks of intense gaming and haven't touched it since.

HOWEVER. IF the game gets a 360 release and some expansion pack(s), I might be willing to consider buying it and even get myself an MS Gold account. I like to think that they cannot fudge things up so majorly again.

But then again, it's more likely a Nexbox release, right?

FinKL

Did you play the same D2 I played? Because I don't remember D2 drop rates being even CLOSE to that good. D2 drop rates were baaaaad.

We are talking about just the category "uniques" correct? As a fully Magic Find equipment Sorc, I do remember getting a unique nearly every 2-4 runs, but the probability of it being a higher level item (Nightmare/Hell) was slim.

Revoh

Dang, so your friend muled gear on you and got you banned. Time to have a few words.

Yeah :/
He will buy me another license but I don't want to level up my characters anymore.
I've opened 4 tickets already and always get a generic response from a computer saying that I won't get unbanned.
I want to play so bad right know :(

Top Bottom