• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kbar strikes back: OFFICIAL GAF ESPN FOOTBALL 2k5 Xbox league! sign up inside!!

*EDIT - added a couple people to the "waiting" list incase some people flake on us

time to pick teams for league signups! here are some facts and other things involving the league:

What we DO know:

- there is full season league play, including trades AND injuries
- commissioner sets the number of playoff teams
- Don't join if you can't play
- This is a legit league, don't bring garbage to it. No cheese playing (whatever that turns out to be)
- I'm assigning some teams by default. for instance, dm with the bucs, me with niners, gunstar with eagles, etc. i guess you could offer to play for the right to use the team, but i guarantee you (for me) i wouldn't give up playing as the niners no matter what. besides, since the niners will "suck" this year, who else would want them? like i said though, i have to give the default to the players who were there last year and are regulars
- lets see how many people we can get in on this. remember, if you can't play don't join the league!

So sign up and we'll see how things play out. We had an awesome league last year on PS2, won by me (call me champ now), so i suspect this will be another excellent league. enjoy fellas!

01. FMT - San Francisco 49ers
02. DMczaf - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
03. Gunstar77 - Philadelphia Eagles
04. LittleTokyo - Washington Redskins
05. MrBob - Chicago Bears
06. Che Guevara - Batlimore Ravens (i assume??)
07. hgplayer 1 - Dallas Cowboys
08. bishoptl - Seattle Seachickens
09. Kindbudmaster - Cinncinnati Bengals
10. Cerebral Palsy - Kansas City Chiefs
11. Bog - Miami Dolphins
12. Andy - New England Patriots
13. katana - Cleveland Jgars... I mean Browns
14. ramirez - pittsburgh steelers
15. wellington - New York Giants
16. Konex - Indianapolis Colts
17. JayFro - Greenbay Packers
18. malleymal - new orleans saints
19. soulja - st. louis rams
20. stooge - detroit lions
21. duce22 - carolina panthers
22. guileless - Denver Broncos
23. Jesiatha - Arizona Cardinals
24. Agent Dormer - Buffalo Bills
25. Matrix - Houston Texans
26. Dskillz - Jacksonville Jaguars
27. Sickboy - San Diego Chargers
28. MattCoz - Tennessee Titans
29. maverick - atlanta falcons
31. jobber - New York Jets
32. shadowred - oakland raiders
-----------

Official Reserves list (in order of posting interest in thread):

element
AztecaGX
RickMofoMears
Dultimate
shoplifter
sal paradise jr
luckybrand
drey1082

DMczaf

I swear to god, if I finish with a 13-3 record and miss the playoffs AGAIN I will burn down VC's HQ!

Fifty

"What time is it?"

"Game time,"

"Any dogs in the house?"
"Woof, woof, woof,"

image006.jpg

s_lewis_i.jpg

MattCoz

I may want to join, but I'd like to know how it all works first. I'd want to play as the Tennessee Titans.

hgplayer1

Im in with the Cowboys.

I sure hope VC has kept some of the things from last years leagues and made the changes that really needed to be made. the scheduling was horrible and the playoff selection was just as bad. The stats were pretty nice as was the play by play report of the game uploaded to the league page.

Fifty

Hehe. You assume right FMT. :p Of course I'm using the Ravens

CP will win this league, no doubt in my mind. :D That is, unless the running game has been fixed. I pray we won't see a 5000 yard season by Holmes. Let alone a 2000 yard season by The Bus.

wtf? CP will win this league? I owned him in ESPN last year, and i'll do it again this year. i don't care if the running game is toned down or not, ill shut anyone down (except alstott...) i told you ladies i'm the champ!

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:
wtf? CP will win this league? I owned him in ESPN last year, and i'll do it again this year. i don't care if the running game is toned down or not, ill shut anyone down (except alstott...) i told you ladies i'm the champ!

Last year's 2K had insane running backs. Backs of steel. I don't think he's the best player, but Holmes should be a monster if they haven't toned down the tackle-breaking by a large margin :)

That said, of course I'm going to win. Lewis + Lewis cannot fail.

ask CP what happened to priest holmes last year. infact, ask every RB in our league* what happened to them when the niners came to town!

* except mike alstott and dominic davis... damn you mig and dm!

FrenchMovieTheme said:

The reason I did so poorly last year was:

A) Chiefs defense was horrible, even worse with the broken tackling in the running game

B) I was one of the few players that actually had a balanced offense and didn't abuse the fuck out of the running game

Anyway, I'm sure I'll do well. I can live with poor defense if the running game is fixed this time.

The reason I did so poorly last year was:

A) Chiefs defense was horrible, even worse with the broken tackling in the running game

B) I was one of the few players that actually had a balanced offense and didn't abuse the fuck out of the running game

Anyway, I'm sure I'll do well. I can live with poor defense if the running game is fixed this time.

A) Chiefs D is still horrible, in real life and the game!

B) Come on dude I was balanced. I had the top QB rating and i had hearst with a little over 1,000 yards. Infact, there weren't THAT many unbalanced teams. I can think of the rams, when Az had 3,000 yards rushing with faulk, but other than that it wasn't too bad. besides, i shut down all RB's anyways so you could have tried to run all day it didn't matter

you WILL live with a poor defense after Rat picks that swiss cheese apart!

Fifty

Biff Hardbody said:
Look into the face of your fears, gentleman. is he still playing? goooo Steelers.

Is he still playing? Is he still playing?! How can we fear a man who does not know whether or not his hero is in the NFL. Bettis was that game's biggest glitch and it's a mistake VC will never live up.

Galaron

EA guy that we like
Just out of curiosity, how successful are most folks here with their online leagues or tourneys? Every time I join one it is a miserable failure. Guys don't show up, or as soon as they start the season 0-3 they quit the league, blah, blah, blah. I heard Operation Sports has gotten a successful league going, but that's like 32 ballers playing straight. I haven't been able to find one since...in any sport.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
A) Chiefs D is still horrible, in real life and the game!

B) Come on dude I was balanced. I had the top QB rating and i had hearst with a little over 1,000 yards. Infact, there weren't THAT many unbalanced teams. I can think of the rams, when Az had 3,000 yards rushing with faulk, but other than that it wasn't too bad. besides, i shut down all RB's anyways so you could have tried to run all day it didn't matter

you WILL live with a poor defense after Rat picks that swiss cheese apart!

Never said you weren't balanced. But if you think Az was the only cheeser... Yeah right. We had a few close games, a couple I got owned in. Really, how many times did we play last year anyway? 4 times? Not trying to make excuses, but in a league environment it was even more obvious how broken the running game was, and I lost interest in the league quick because of it. People started doing anything to win, and at that point I'm not going to stoop to their level. It's boring taking advantage of bugs and I'm not interested in it.

DMczaf

Galaron said:
Just out of curiosity, how successful are most folks here with their online leagues or tourneys? Every time I join one it is a miserable failure. Guys don't show up, or as soon as they start the season 0-3 they quit the league, blah, blah, blah. I heard Operation Sports has gotten a successful league going, but that's like 32 ballers playing straight. I haven't been able to find one since...in any sport.

Were pretty good at it, it just depends on people staying with it

With ESPN last year, we failed but with Madden 2004 we ran over 10+ successful tournaments after the football season is over. It just depends on people keeping the game here at GAF.

DMczaf said:
Were pretty good at it, it just depends on people staying with it

With ESPN last year, we failed but with Madden 2004 we ran over 10+ successful tournaments after the football season is over. It just depends on people keeping the game here at GAF.

I wouldn't say we failed. We finished both seasons that threw hurdle after hurdle at us. Constant dropped games, broken running game etc. More like the game failed us.

Fifty

If anyone signs up and doesn't follow through with their games I will hunt them down and force feed them to the Ravens defence.

DMczaf

Cerebral Palsy said:
I wouldn't say we failed. We finished both seasons that threw hurdle after hurdle at us. Constant dropped games, broken runnin game etc. More like the game failed us.

I still say Season 1 was a failure, we ended up with like 5+ teams being played by Konex. Season 2 was never completed (I remember dropping Season 2 after starting 6-0 because of the disconnections then seeing the Ravens never touched again)

we completed 1 entire season of ESPN on ps2 (some people dropped and so on, but we got it done) and 10 madden tournaments here on GA.

also, CP, there were people in our league that held opponents under 60 yards a game rushing. me, dm, HG and i believe maverick. it comes down to how you play your D and how much you can personally dictate the outcome of it. a little known fact is that having your line running criss-cross stunts really hurt the opponents running game. a lot of people didn't realize this. also, if you played as safety or LB, you could really get in there and stop the running game.

the running game was broken, but there are no excuses because it was proven the running game could be stopped cold. play some D BOY!

Fifty

The Xbox version ran perfectly last year. No disconnects or anything, but then again, it didn't have the leagues.

DM, you have my respect for using the Ravens. Best of luck to you and yours in this tournament.

DMczaf

Fifty said:
The Xbox version ran perfectly last year. No disconnects or anything, but then again, it didn't have the leagues.

DM, you have my respect for using the Ravens. Best of luck to you and yours in this tournament.

And if I did complete that season with the Ravens I would have been 16-0! Only Sega's ghetto servers could stop me! My defense owned like every stat in the game haha

FrenchMovieTheme said:
dont wish DM anything but a slow demise! goin down bucs!

Who gave you that first loss?! BOOGER!

jesiatha, sure you wouldn't like another team? ramirez is a rabid steelers fan, and a regular in our tourneys/leagues. sorry dude!

p.s. why would you want the steelers anyways? you think ramirez is going to win any ballgames with maddox behind center? no

Meier

I'll play as some time but I suck in online games. Put me down for the Eagles I guess (sorry Duce!)

FrenchMovieTheme said:
we completed 1 entire season of ESPN on ps2 (some people dropped and so on, but we got it done) and 10 madden tournaments here on GA.

also, CP, there were people in our league that held opponents under 60 yards a game rushing. me, dm, HG and i believe maverick. it comes down to how you play your D and how much you can personally dictate the outcome of it. a little known fact is that having your line running criss-cross stunts really hurt the opponents running game. a lot of people didn't realize this. also, if you played as safety or LB, you could really get in there and stop the running game.

Yeah, people who had top rated defenses did that. When you have a 98 rated D the broken runnin game doesn't seem so bad. You played good D. 49ers definitely seemed better than their rating suggested, and probably had better some good formations to boot.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the running game was broken, but there are no excuses because it was proven the running game could be stopped cold. play some D BOY!

Not like I was picking the wrong plays. Broken running game made a horrible defense even worse. There was a less noteable effect on teams like the Bucs.

CP wtf? the niners didn't have a top rated defense. infact, i think we were about even with the chiefs! i'm pretty sure the only 90 players we had were julian peterson and possibly andre carter.

DMczaf said:
And if I did complete that season with the Ravens I would have been 16-0! Only Sega's ghetto servers could stop me! My defense owned like every stat in the game haha

Oh, you switched one top rated D for another. Color me impressed.

DMczaf

Cerebral Palsy said:
Oh, you switched one top rated D for another. Color me impressed.

Stop crying, you use the Chiefs offense. Now if you were a Arizona Cardinals fan, you would have a reason to complain.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
CP wtf? the niners didn't have a top rated defense. infact, i think we were about even with the chiefs! i'm pretty sure the only 90 players we had were julian peterson and possibly andre carter.

I said they performed better than they were rated. Not that they were top rated. And defensive playbook was everything last year. If you were missing key formations it hurt bad also. The Texans come to mind as a defense totally fucked last year by the playbook. Not that I would stoop low enough to play the 40-Whiners, but you can fill me in on their playbook.

cardsdolphs1.jpg

me = cardinals

the proof is in the pudding CP! i took the "unstoppable" ricky williams down with the cardinals... the cardinals! come on dude, even though i was playing alteredbeast that still has to say something about ratings not meaning everything

FrenchMovieTheme said:
cardsdolphs1.jpg

me = cardinals

the proof is in the pudding CP! i took the "unstoppable" ricky williams down with the cardinals... the cardinals! come on dude, even though i was playing alteredbeast that still has to say something about ratings not meaning everything

But it was still AB.

Top Bottom