• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos |OT| There's no business like blow business - Netflix - *spoilers for S1*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Netflix is a distributor, not a creator. They pay production companies for their shows, just like a TV network. (Even then, the big TV networks usually have their own production studios that can develop and produce shows, unlike Netflix).

Yes, but iirc, Netflix does produce now -- they co-produced Wet Hot American Summer with some smaller pods.

Blackhead

Redarse
Uh. No. Netflix still runs and operates like a normal television distributor when it comes to return on investments.

Based on nothing, though. Again -- if it's an American TV series (Which, yes, this is, and Netflix is television), and it's not announced explicitly as a miniseries of limited series, then it's designed to run more than one season. (And hey, even that might not happen.)

Running for more than one season is not the definition of indefinitely. I have no idea what season 2 of Narcos will be about. I have not even seen season 1! But I also not surprised when an American television show operates like an American television show.
Indefinitely means we don't when it's going to end. But yeah, my bad, I assumed wrong. Won't make that mistake again

I'm four episodes into this and I'm struggling. I really, really want to love it - the acting, cinematography, score, and dramatic acting are all top god damn notch. I love the slightly rock n' roll heist movie tone, too.

But the voiceover and powerpoint presentations, good god. I really can't deal with them. This show doesn't give its actors any time to breathe, and the drama is constantly being undercut by dispassionate historical footage and detached narration. It feels like a wikipedia article with more tits.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I just finished the last episode, goddamn it was a hell of a ride. The acting is superb, and everything else is top quality too. I really liked the cinematography, it has some outstanding takes. After the piece of shit mediocrity sense8 was I really hoped for this not to disappoint. Now is going to be a long wait until season 2.

Wagner is awesome but his Spanish sucks.

Just finished it up. It was a solid and enjoyable show. Had some moments where the plot points felt rushed and some of the acting was hit and miss. Will be interesting to see a 2nd season though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Episode 5:
I can't believe they offered to pay Colombian's national debt. That is insane.

I'm four episodes into this and I'm struggling. I really, really want to love it - the acting, cinematography, score, and dramatic acting are all top god damn notch. I love the slightly rock n' roll heist movie tone, too.

But the voiceover and powerpoint presentations, good god. I really can't deal with them. This show doesn't give its actors any time to breathe, and the drama is constantly being undercut by dispassionate historical footage and detached narration. It feels like a wikipedia article with more tits.

It's a weird show. Individual episodes span months or years, so the solution they have come up with is to use lots of voiceover and powerpoints/montages to cover any pacing and editing issues. I dunno if it works great, but it ends up feeling like a documentary. Also not a big fan of overused cliches/tropes, like womanizer cop who falls for hookers/informants.

That being said it is refreshing that their avoiding the "wife characters wanting protagonist to quit" trope. The show is still entertaining, mostly because Escobar's story is super interesting.

Even past episode 4 the "powerpoint presentations" decrease. And shit gets crazy enough that they are actually nice ways of the letting the drama itself get not too "tell-y"

v1lla21

Weon and hijoeputa will get a lot of use from me. My buddy from Chile would always say Weon and I never knew what the fuck he was telling me lol. Too bad he went back to Chile :(

mantidor

I ended up watching it mostly because a friend keeps asking me what things are fictional and what aren't. But I'm surprised by some things I didn't know, the show exaggerates things a bit I guess, like the Cucaracha plot, it's the first time I have ever heard of him and I'm not sure he was that instrumental to Escobar's story.

The cousin is nagging Pablo, and he responds to end the conversation with "Ok Ok Ok". But we he actually said in Spanish was more akin to "alright enough". Not a big but changes his meaning a bit I think.

Translation is a bit rough around the edges, for instance while "marica" indeed translates literally to "fag", its use is completely different, and most of the time it's supposed to be more like "man" or "dude", because its really widespread, the translation however makes everyone a bit obsessed about homophobic slurs when they really aren't.

Moff

Ep. 4 spoiler

why did Pablo kill the M-19 people at the end?

they were loose ends who could tie him to the attack, no reason in keeping them alive

episode 4 so far and I think it's excellent. the only thing I don't like is the wife, she just seems really shoehorned in

Montresor

Hmmm small complaint:

There was a Spanish conversations m going on, but the subs weren't quite right...

The cousin is nagging Pablo, and he responds to end the conversation with "Ok Ok Ok". But we he actually said in Spanish was more akin to "alright enough". Not a big but changes his meaning a bit I think.

I just saw that part. I don't speak any Spanish at all but I interpreted that line exactly as you are saying - I "knew" that Pablo was meaning to say something like "alright enough, give it a rest you big lug" even though I have no way to understand the spoken language.

Even if the translation is technically wrong, I think Pablo's body language makes it clear what he is trying to say. =p

KorrZ

Watched 3 episodes yesterday and enjoyed it so far. I wouldn't call it amazing but it's intriguing and the acting/cinematography are so well done that it's pushing me to want to see more. My only issue right now is how fast everything is moving and the weird time jumps like:
Poison dying in the first episode, and then in episode 2 it goes back to that crime scene and then in episode 3 he's alive and well again. It's making me struggle with where these individual events are taking place on the timeline

Snwaters

Narco traffic is a very ripe subject. I imagine they'll do more stories and subjects.

Mexico is ripe for a season or two. Of course, no central character is gonna ball like Escobar.

They can do a season on Amado Carrillo Fuentes. He's widely regarded as perhaps the richest criminal in all of history.

DeviantBoi

They can do a season on Amado Carrillo Fuentes. He's widely regarded as perhaps the richest criminal in all of history.

There's a Spanish telenovela about him, "El Señor de los Cielos" (The Lord of the Skies).

Problem is that it's like 250 episodes, so you gotta figure they've put in a lot of that telenovela crap to bloat it up, instead of telling a compelling and concise story.

Slacker

Just finished the season - loved it. I thought the voice narration was a nice touch given the historical aspect of the subject. I thought the acting was top notch too, and gracias a Dios they did subtitles instead of having everyone speak in accented English. Much more immersive in Spanish.

Good to know (that there is nudity). Was gonna watch with la familia. Not anymore.

I know this is an argument as old as time, but it's still amazing that ultra-violence is ok for the familia but boobs, whoa there.

E92 M3

Really enjoyed the show and marathoned it over the weekend.
Poison
was a piece of shit and they did well in making the audience hate him.

Was kinda hoping it would be solely from Pablo's perspective. That said, really liked it was essentially a tale of two sides.

mantidor

I know this is an argument as old as time, but it's still amazing that ultra-violence is ok for the familia but boobs, whoa there.

Personally if it was just bare breasts I wouldn't mind, but watching extended sex scenes with your parents is simply awkward.

It is awkward anyway, completely gratuitous and unnecessary to be honest. Virginia Vallejo mentioned in her book what a lousy lover Escobar was, trying to portray that small detail is kind of the only instance I can think of that would merit a sex scene in these series.

rexor0717

I'm only on the 4th episode, but I'm really enjoying it. I like the narration and insertion of real life elements, but I can see how someone would be put off by it. Its like what you'd think some History Channel version of this show would be.

On episode 9. The show is pretty good, but Murphy is probably one of the most unlikable people I've ever seen on TV. If this wasn't based on true events, I would have expected him to be killed by now.

Jonm1010

Banned
Up to episode 9 and I can't let it go, the Area 51 arcade game was NOT out when Escobar was In jail. Such a colossal fuck up. Show ruined!

Up to episode 9 and I can't let it go, the Area 51 arcade game was NOT out when Escobar was In jail. Such a colossal fuck up. Show ruined!

There are a lot of modern planes, cars, guns and other things shown, so much that I suspect it's done on purpose to say 'this all is still happening today'.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just finished the season.

My prediction for the second season:
Pablo will be tracked down and killed within the first three episodes. The show will then shift to the Cali Cartel.

Obrek

Banned
Watched 3 episodes yesterday and enjoyed it so far. I wouldn't call it amazing but it's intriguing and the acting/cinematography are so well done that it's pushing me to want to see more. My only issue right now is how fast everything is moving and the weird time jumps like:
Poison dying in the first episode, and then in episode 2 it goes back to that crime scene and then in episode 3 he's alive and well again. It's making me struggle with where these individual events are taking place on the timeline

If it's still confusing you, basically
The first episode where they shoot all the narcos in the bar is the "present", and every episode after that is the past, showing you how they got so desperate to the point of literally shooting first and asking questions never. It comes back to the "present" in episode 8.

Watched it all in a single day. Loved it. No qualms with the cuts to historical stuff because that's right up my alley.

Maitiú

I love documentaries, so splashing some true footage on key events elevated the series for me. The narration didn't really seem Ken Burnsish because it was coming from a naive drug war enthusiast missing the forest for the trees, which fits the character speaking. It felt more like a novel in that sense.

tim.mbp

Just finished the season.

My prediction for the second season:
Pablo will be tracked down and killed within the first three episodes. The show will then shift to the Cali Cartel.

I would assume so too, maybe after the first episode even.

KorrZ

If it's still confusing you, basically
The first episode where they shoot all the narcos in the bar is the "present", and every episode after that is the past, showing you how they got so desperate to the point of literally shooting first and asking questions never. It comes back to the "present" in episode 8.

Watched it all in a single day. Loved it. No qualms with the cuts to historical stuff because that's right up my alley.

That does make more sense, thanks !

ty_hot

Watched 5 episodes on the first day, 4 on the next, hoping to watch the last one in the next night. But I couldn't wait, I woke up and watched before breakfast.

(this spoiler is about Escobar life as well as the season itself)

Good thing I didn't know there are 2 seasons and that I don't know how he dies, so I watched the last episode as if he could die/get caught anytime. I wanted to read/watch some more things about his life, but I prefer to wait for the next season.

Things happen quickly, sometimes it feels like they are not trully telling his history, but I think his life has so many "climax" that they just can't present all of them in details.

On Moura performance, you can clearly see that he is not 100% confident with his spanish/accent, but that is not a problem. The way he acts is formidable. The way he moves, talks, look at people... how he breathes differently. As an outsider, watching, you can see many moments where his facial expression say a lot more than words.

(i dont remember which episode is this, so don't read unless you are in the last episode)
The moment he talks to the guy about 'dont worry, just get in that plane and record the conversation, very simple task' is awesome. You can see in his eyes (and the eyes of the sicarios) that this is obviously not what is going to happen, but the guy is so pleased to work for him that he doesn't have any seconf thoughts about it.

(same for this)
Love the moment where the communist girl says 'You clearly don't know the history of your country in Latin America' to the american cop.

MRORANGE

Just wrapped up all 10 episodes and damn, Wagner Moura's performance is just amazing, the long pauses, his facial expression and methodology really is unsettling and all you can do is watch and see what he Pablo does next.

Probably the best tv series of 2015 imo.

Bring on Season 2.!

i could almost swear I watched a movie or heard about a tv show that deals with the aftermath of Escobar's death. Can't remember what, might've been a spanish one, but yeah it shows how they scrambled to take over after he died.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm on the 5th episode, but I don't see how they could drag this show out for more than one season at the pace it's going. Unless every season is about a new drug lord.

Amir0x

Banned
It is pretty remarkable how big Escobar's balls were. Christ.

I'm on the last episode. It's a decent freshman effort, but if the next season has this ridiculous speed and narration I'm not sure I can stomach another. Feels too detached and I can't really get involved in the proceedings mentally. Just feels like a history channel documentary with a better budget and less facts.

Just wrapped up all 10 episodes and damn, Wagner Moura's performance is just amazing, the long pauses, his facial expression and methodology really is unsettling and all you can do is watch and see what he Pablo does next.

Probably the best tv series of 2015 imo.

Bring on Season 2.!

Agreed. Moura's performance is so incandescent (S2 speculation)
that I wonder how engaging the show will be without him when his character dies. There's another Netflix show that will face this same problem in its second season, too, I think.

It is pretty remarkable how big Escobar's balls were. Christ.

I'm on the last episode. It's a decent freshman effort, but if the next season has this ridiculous speed and narration I'm not sure I can stomach another. Feels too detached and I can't really get involved in the proceedings mentally. Just feels like a history channel documentary with a better budget and less facts.
Maybe I am in the minority that I appreciate the docu drama format.

Moura is great in the Tropa de Elite series as well. In the second one he seems to have turned into a suit behind a desk but towards the end he goes full Hulk and it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom