• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden |OT| The Filler Chronicles (Anime Only! No manga spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesha

Naruto started to slowly dip after Itachi and Kisame fought Sasuke, Naruto and Jiraiya, which sped up during the Grass Infiltration arc, with only the occasional small surges in quality.

Not at all, I think the only two dips in the series are the beginning of Part 2 and the War arc.

Naruto, especially part 2, gets downplayed far too much. It's almost like a go-to for people saying that anime was a fad or describing a series that fell from grace. It's a great series for about 80% of the story. The hate is unfair.

The anime definitely got worse with Shippuden, which is just as unfair. The soundtrack is way worse, and the filler is badly inserted and paced. A "Shippuden Kai" would be awesome.

I've heard the same kind of defensive comments for over 10 years. Naruto has been criticised for its drops in quality since the Sasuke rescue arc, which only increased during part two. It's definitely not a fad thing to do.

Burbeting

Banned
I only read manga in 2014 when it finished, but I definitely felt that the Sasuke retrieval arc was the first one where quality dipped. Quality kept going on a steady, but slow dive throughout part 2, until falling to the pit starting from the Five-Kage arc. Don't know how it goes in the anime.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Naruto started to slowly dip after Itachi and Kisame fought Sasuke, Naruto and Jiraiya, which sped up during the Grass Infiltration arc, with only the occasional small surges in quality.

I've heard the same kind of defensive comments for over 10 years. Naruto has been criticised for its drops in quality since the Sasuke rescue arc, which only increased during part two. It's definitely not a fad thing to do.
And people have been wrong for over 10 years. lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Honestly, I think I've said this before but I can't wait to see all the stuff filler or not that SP does with the 2 years in between Naruto the last and also the years after the last, just a lot of material they can produce

Moaradin

It's almost here. Finally we'll know if they adapt the last chapter or delay it another 2 years with filler.

edit: Welp. Latest episode only adapts to the end of chapter 699. Pierrot fucked up as usual.

Guess I need to read the last chapter later.

Akai__

Great episode. Once again had goosebumps pretty much all of the time, mainly because the perfectly placed music. My question regarding the arms from last time was also already answered. The scenes in the academy and the later
Sasuke
fareawell were also pretty great. I'm still sad about Neji, Shikaku and Inoichi, though. Always will be.

Also, that
Gurren and Yuukimaru
cameo in front of the Konoha gates. I will never acknowledge those Fillers. Never.

It's almost here. Finally we'll know if they adapt the last chapter or delay it another 2 years with filler.

edit: Welp. Latest episode only adapts to the end of chapter 699. Pierrot fucked up as usual.

Guess I need to read the last chapter later.

The episode titles that were posted kinda gave it away. But still... I don't think it will be 2 years. I'll be waiting a coupple months before I do that. It may be in color and all, but animated is still better.

I guess I will know for sure, when I see the quality of the Fillers. If it's terrible, I will just skip them just like I always did.

Jigolo

No chapter 700 blows.

Also wasn't Iruka killed

EDIT: There's a little something at the end after the credits and before the next episode preview

Ray Down

Banned
No chapter 700 blows.

Also wasn't Iruka killed

EDIT: There's a little something at the end after the credits and before the next episode preview

Kishi doesn't have the balls to kill of huge poplar characters like him, like literally, for how much he shows up in the manga he's HUGE!

Iruka ranks across all popularity polls: 4, 3, 3, 5, 4, 5, 11. Baring Shanks who will actually be in important when the time comes, I can't think of any other character that's done jackshit in so long to be popular.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Wait, no chapter 700... ever?

EhoaVash

I liked this ending better than the rushed shit from chapter 699. thank you studio periott.
when the original naruto anime themes started hitting oh man the feeeeels q.q

I really want a series set after after the Last/ before the kids now lol

Ray Down

Banned
So is 700 the next episode?

And what's after 480?

No, filler arc next.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-debuts-new-boyhood-arc-on-october-20/.107597

This year's 47th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine is revealing on Monday the name of the new Naruto Shippūden arc that will premiere with the anime's 480th episode (or 700th if you include the episode count of the original Naruto TV anime series). The new arc is titled "Shōnen Jidai-hen" (Boyhood Arc), and it will return to Naruto's childhood days when the Nine-Tails was still sealed within him. The 480th episode will focus on Naruto and Hinata, and will air on October 20.

At this rate the episode for chapter 700 will be finally be out November 10th 2017 to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of its ending.

Arabesque

I really want a series set after after the Last/ before the kids now lol

You'll probably be getting your wish for the next few years lol

No, filler arc next.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-debuts-new-boyhood-arc-on-october-20/.107597

At this rate the episode for chapter 700 will be finally be out November 10th 2017 to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of its ending.

Being optimistic, are we?

I honestly wouldn't be shocked 700 won't be covered until 2018, at the earliest.

Naruto not getting promoted to chuunin is one of the dumbest things that happened in Part I.

He beat Neji, who was widely acknowledged as a prodigy and a genius. In addition to demonstrating the ability to use Kage Bunshin, which is a highly ranked forbidden jutsu, he demonstrated control over a portion of Kurama's chakra and the ability to summon Gamabunta, which meant he was also acknowledged by Jiraiya, who was a living legend at that point. And on top of that he then protected his teammates and entire village against a fucking bijuu.

Shikamaru was promoted because he knew when to give up. Yeah, the guy was smart, but he didn't demonstrate anything remotely as impressive as Naruto.

Naruto didn't show any particular leadership strengths, but the chuunin that did over the course of the entire series can be counted on one hand, and he outsmarted a whole bunch of people smarter than him, including Neji.

The only reason Naruto wasn't promoted was to preserve this false premise of an underdog story. Which was bullshit from the jump.

Naruto was too headstrong at that point still. While noble, his actions were too fueled and dependent on his emotions. Even worse, in a moment of dire crisis Kurama's chakra could overtake and overpower Naruto (which it did, three or four times before he learned to control it fully after that point). It's like putting a nuclear missile with good intentions that lets emotion trigger itself in charge of a team. Shikamaru's is not the strongest, but his intelligence far makes up for brute strength to the point that his tactics and strategies could save not only his teammates lives but, millions of others.

rambis

Banned
are they doing the whole arc based on the scra hinata made young naruto that the last starts on?
It goes to different characters. The week after is focused on Sasuke/Sakura.

I cant imagine we get any good filler till the novel stuff. Particularly Sasukes.

479 is a poor mans 699.

Will make a post later on SP's poor adaptation and handling of the Naruto series in recent years but I'm just glad the anime has come to a closing.

tumblr_oezmpgYS3n1sojw2po1_540.gif

No, next episode is filler. And all the episodes after that are filler as well. We don't know when they'll adapt chapter 700 yet.

not until the boruto anime is greenlit lol

pretty good episode tbh. i liked the additions they added from the manga, esp. seeing sasuke locked up

Dr.Hadji

I've been trying to come up with my rankings for the arcs. The tops are pretty set, and so is the bottom, I just need to settle on the middle.

1. War Arc part 1+2
2. Wave Country Arc
3/4 Pein Invasion and Chuunin Exam
5. Tsunade the 5th Arc
6/7/8/9 Rescue Sasuke, Kakashi Gaiden, Sand Country Arc, Finding Sasuke Arc
10. The "kids are the king" Arc
10. Mud Country Arc
11. War Arc part 3

First half of Shipuuden was a little too aimless to me. Felt a lot like the first two arcs after the time skip in One Piece.

I've been trying to come up with my rankings for the arcs. The tops are pretty set, and so is the bottom, I just need to settle on the middle.

1. War Arc part 1+2
2. Wave Country Arc
3/4 Pein Invasion and Chuunin Exam
5. Tsunade the 5th Arc
6/7/8/9 Rescue Sasuke, Kakashi Gaiden, Sand Country Arc, Finding Sasuke Arc
10. The "kids are the king" Arc
10. Mud Country Arc
11. War Arc part 3

First half of Shipuuden was a little too aimless to me. Felt a lot like the first two arcs after the time skip in One Piece.
Not sure how quite to name and separate them myself but I'll give this a shot as well.

1. The Immortal Duo
My Shikamaru bias puts this up the top as an enjoyable arc that's short and sweet, Naruto gets to go on the backburner training while Shikamaru takes the lead in an arc that also has two of the best yet unfortunately short lived Akatsuki opponents in Hidan and Kakazu.

2. Pain Invasion
Some may gripe about how it ended (though honestly it doesn't bother me, as I mentioned before only three named characters were dead by the time Rinne Rebirth was used and only kakashi was actually important out of them) but what a ride it was. Makes the previous invasion look likes childs play.
The Pain paths make for fun gimmicks, Naruto finally gets to look really awesome with sage jutsu and swag coat, Kakashi finally runs out of chakra, Hinata gets her one of two moments to actually try and do something after the time skip.
Ep 167 is the best, efff the haters.

3. Chunin Exams
Written exams never felt so ninjariffic. Sakura's big moment at last is cutting her hair and getting punched in the face while gnawing on some dudes arm...okay forget that bit.
We got ninja info cards and the ultimate fighthing game throwdown in rushdown Rock Lee vs Turtle Garaa.
Shikamaru finally gets to reveal his smart way of approaching fights, Dosu got robbed so this is the only arc he's really in.
Oh and the Hyuga slap fest is underrated, great section of the arc.

4. Search for Tsunade
On paper it's not much exciting but when I rewatched part 1 a few years back I enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered.
Don't actually have much else to say, I think I just like the dynamic Naruto has with both Jiraiya and (grouchy drunk) Tsunade. After a lot of brawling in the previous two arcs before this related to the exams it was a nice change of pace I guess.
Also Akatsuki debut.

5. Sasuke Retrieval
Jumpin' through trees: the arc
The pace kind of tapers off towards the end but there's some cool stuff in here. Later sections lean a bit too much on last second saves from returning characters but damn were they hype on the first watch.
The flashbacks though, god damn it I know that they climbed all the way to the top of that tree already!

6. Land of Waves
Speaking of that tree, here it is! solid way to truly kick the series off. It's funny when you look back and realise that Zabuza was pretty much a jobber even then, less stamina than even mister "I'm almost out of chakra" himself.

7. Hunt for Itachi/Jiraiya Rain Village shenanigans
I think these two kind of got lumped together if I recall? Anywho the Sauce anticlimactically takes out Orochimaru and forms his ragtag crew.
Has a great fight against Deidara that then shits the bed massively with the ending but oh well.
The true strength of this section to me is Jiraiya's part in the rain village fighting Pain and going down like a champ.
Straight into the Uchiha bros showdown after that as well.

8. Sand invasion/Chunin finals
My favourite part of this arc is the anbu black ops just sitting back and having to watch the Third Hokage in a handicap match but that wont stop the one guy from marking out at witnessing "hokage level combat!", nevermind that power creep makes it seem odd in retrospect.
Then as soon as the fight is over the chucklefucks jump right into a spiderweb net, must be on Danzo's payroll with that kind of "aid" to the third.

Alas I'm not so big on the Naruto/Garaa side of things, just kinda drags, I was way more hype for bugs vs puppets.

9. Kage Summit/Land of Iron
Finally getting to see the other Kages was neat, Danzo got screwed friends, he shouldn't have been taken out the plot so suddenly and that will always bug me.
Also Naruto hyperventilates and begs thus losing all his cool points from the Pain arc.

10. War Arc second half
From the point when the Obito reveal takes place I guess? I'm not really sure where the divide comes but I figure from here to the finale makes sense.

11. Turtle Island/Beginning of the War
Mainly for the flashback to the night of Nine Tales rampaging which easily outshines the rest of this.

12. War Arc first half
Good concept that suffers a bit from how the reanaimations have to be handled and just how much there is to do (defeated by EMOTIONS is a bit too recurring at first)
Actual Madara Uchiha turning up and going all Musou on the army is god damn glorious.

13. Rescue Gaara
Going from one pursuit arc to another probably wasn't the best idea.
Just something a bit meandering about this arc, but hey Sakura was actually great in this arc, unfortunately they never had her written as strongly as this again.

14. NEW Team 7
YOU ARE MY FRIEND AHHHHH, yeah this arc kinda blows

Epcott

Finished episode 479... manly tears!

One thing I never understood after reading the manga and seeing this now: Why is Kakashi the Hokagi? Did they deem Tsunade unfit somehow after she lost her fight with Madara? Or is she simply too weak after that brutal fight to continue on in that position (or too old)? It was never made clear.

One thing I never understood after reading the manga and seeing this now: Why is Kakashi the Hokagi? Did they deem Tsunade unfit somehow after she lost her fight with Madara? Or is she simply too weak after that brutal fight to continue on in that position (or too old)? It was never made clear.

i thought she just wanted to retire

One thing I still don't understand is how Uchiha Madara came back. I honestly took it as him being dead, then he shot back because he didn't want to be dead anymore. I'm not even sure where his body even came from.

Naruto was too headstrong at that point still. While noble, his actions were too fueled and dependent on his emotions. Even worse, in a moment of dire crisis Kurama's chakra could overtake and overpower Naruto (which it did, three or four times before he learned to control it fully after that point). It's like putting a nuclear missile with good intentions that lets emotion trigger itself in charge of a team. Shikamaru's is not the strongest, but his intelligence far makes up for brute strength to the point that his tactics and strategies could save not only his teammates lives but, millions of others.

Again, the manga doesn't support this line if reasoning. At all.

rambis

Banned

Honestly Kishi probably did it just cause. It was Obitos last wish before being evaporated so I kinda guessed it was coming.

Ray Down

Banned
I...I don't even know. I was thinking about the one that was in the tree/cave(?) with Obito, talking about why he came back.

Kabuto somehow found his corpse, experiment on him with generic science and restored him to form. (It's bullshit but whatever)

I was gonna ask how can Madara when he stole Kakashi's eye and then used Kamui within seconds when Obito wasn't able to use Kamui as the Jubi Jinchuriki?

Also at first it was stated that he can't leave the cave and if he did, he would die. Then, how on earth was he able to leave it and control the Kiri ninja and placed the seals on Rin, and obito...etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom