• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden |OT| The Filler Chronicles (Anime Only! No manga spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
Relix said:
Or Anime in general. It's dead in the USA

If you're referring to the dub, then yes, without a TV broadcast it's a ticking time bomb.

If you're referring to the anime industry in general, then no. There are better rated anime series airing in the US than Shippuden on Disney XD.

Takao said:
Disney XD is moving premieres of the dub to Saturdays at 11PM.

Welp, that about wraps it up for Naruto on US TV.

(Wow finally found this thread again...losing subscriptions is the worst thing ever)
Thats a far better time than it was previously, at least they will hopefully still do reruns

Takao

Banned
Saturdays at 11PM is a death sentence for Naruto. They dropped it from Wednesday at 9:30PM to there. Saturdays are notorious for generally being low rated affairs and tossing a show aimed at children to 11PM in a block where it's the only one premiering says it's only there because Disney bought too many episodes to just toss out.

I have to ask what episodes are they at because frankly 91-111 (did I get those numbers right) are even more damaging to ratings than the graveyard shift (okay so its no Code Geass and Bleach @ 5AM with no warning or whatever it was Adult Swim did). Then again if they're not much past 50 I can the sloow pace of those early episodes wearing everyones patience out.

Then there is also the issue with multiple legal sources of the much newer episodes now (hulu, crunchroll etc) so there isn't much incentive to put up with slow pace or fillers etc...unless you really much have it dubbed (well recently in Anime we're starting to see studios not bother with dubs but its not for mainstream shows).

Starwolf_UK said:
I have to ask what episodes are they at because frankly 91-111 (did I get those numbers right) are even more damaging to ratings than the graveyard shift (okay so its no Code Geass and Bleach @ 5AM with no warning or whatever it was Adult Swim did). Then again if they're not much past 50 I can the sloow pace of those early episodes wearing everyones patience out.

Then there is also the issue with multiple legal sources of the much newer episodes now (hulu, crunchroll etc) so there isn't much incentive to put up with slow pace or fillers etc...unless you really much have it dubbed (well recently in Anime we're starting to see studios not bother with dubs but its not for mainstream shows).

I have to wonder if ratings even matter since they do have Naruto on crunchyroll, hulu, viz aniime subbed and dubbed, dvd and iTunes, psn, the xbox live service, amazon video are also caught up. I thought ratings didnt matter much for stuff on cable? It would seem to me if they did they they wouldnt host it on all these sources.

Takao

Banned
Ratings do matter for the franchise at large.

One Piece fans should know the effects that not having a TV broadcast plays on a franchise. Scamco dropped the games, toys, and card game the same day the show was pulled from Cartoon Network. That's because no retailer is going to want to carry items that their customers don't know of.

Finally received box set 5 of Shippuden on disc, since ditching cable, been unable to view Naruto Shippuden, but the first episode is hilarious with Sai and the nicknames! Havent laughed this much in an episode since the Kakashi face one...

Wow I didnt know they were that far, didnt imagine English Shonen Jump was so close to the JPN episodes. I should jump back into the current episodes since I dislike Danzo with passion, instead of this Sora arc stuff (dub, good but I want more canon action)...

Nemesis121 said:
Getting closer to
the worst moment in Naruto, he goes from great hero to crying bitch on the floor.
Refresh my memory, what are you referencing here?
Dedication Through Light said:
Wow I didnt know they were that far, didnt imagine English Shonen Jump was so close to the JPN episodes. I should jump back into the current episodes since I dislike Danzo with passion, instead of this Sora arc stuff (dub, good but I want more canon action)...
Yeah, there was a big push last year to sort of "sync" the manga. They're pretty close!

MatthewB92 said:
Don't know how they messed that up. Looks like a damn tattoo.
One of the better directors seems to be on next week's episode (preview indicated a huge jump in animation quality), and it looks awful there too.
Nemesis121 said:
Him crying on the floor about his own decision on how to save Sasuke....I see it as the worst moment in Naruto...
I have only a vague recollection of the events. Defense mechanisms kicking in.

Guess its almost time for me to jump back in
tumblr_lk205kyK6f1qgap4ho1_400.gif

Cant wait!

Majine said:
Seems like the manga is finally picking up too, after
all those fights between dull characters
Is that so? I pretty much just stopped reading the manga at this point in the anime; it just got increasingly stupid. But I've been checking up every once in a while to see what has been going on.
The last time I skimmed over a chapter, they were still fighting the resurrected characters. So shitty.

heliosRAzi said:
Is that so? I pretty much just stopped reading the manga at this point in the anime; it just got increasingly stupid. But I've been checking up every once in a while to see what has been going on.
The last time I skimmed over a chapter, they were still fighting the resurrected characters. So shitty.

Nah seems like now would be a good time to jump back in
Naruto and Bee are on there way to the battle field & Madara has stepped onto the battlefield with Gedo Mazo, Id say pace is picking back up :)

This episode just highlighted again why the whole idea that Sakura loves Sasuke is utterly retarded. There's never any reasoning behind her affection for him beyond her idiocy as a child, which you'd think she would grow out of. I absolutely despise the way everybody talks about Sakura's love for Sasuke as if they were in some sort of serious relationship, when all it really was was the idiotic crush of a child.

Has no one ever thought of just bitch slapping her and telling her to snap out of it? She loves him so much she doesn't want him to be any more evil? Fuck that shit, they barely know each other! I can concede that we may have not seen in the original story arc as much of the interaction between the two, and that a lot of it may be in their history that was never shown, but I've never seen any valid reason why she would be so into that little emo piece of shit. It's just shitty shitty writing, and because it's such shitty writing, I don't give the tiniest of shits about the relationship, so a major part of the Naruto story is pretty pointless.

Or perhaps it's just another way for Kishimoto to show how useless and idiotic women are.

I think this is considerably worse than even Naruto's incessant bromance with Sasuke, as at least we have some sort of backstory and bond between the two, some sort of emotional attachment, even if they do take it too far.

/rant

^^ I agree. I'm also pretty annoyed at her obsession with him.
And I can't understand why she's still in love with him, and that's annoying me too.
It is shitty writing I feel, unless there is something in the future that will bring some clarity.

Man when did Sauske learn summoning?! LOLZ

they movie came out today and I thought it was alright not the best but ..........ahh hell I hate it.

Effect

Nemesis121 said:
Getting closer to
the worst moment in Naruto, he goes from great hero to crying bitch on the floor.

He wasn't my favorite character in the series. Others kept me interested but I lost all sense of respect and care about the character after that chapter. The worse character moment I've ever read in a story.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
metsallica said:
Was the hyperventilation scene the thing everyone has been talking about? If so, better or worse than the manga?

Man if that's what people have been talking about, they are crazy. Buncha WHINERS up in here.

Tathanen said:
Man if that's what people have been talking about, they are crazy. Buncha WHINERS up in here.
Yeah, that's it. So many people bitched about it in the manga thread forever. Hell, they still do if something remotely relevent gives them an excuse.

Pretty hot episode with Danzo/Sasuke.

bigmit3737 said:
The panic attack did really seem out of place. I thought it was very strange.
Yeah, that was by far the most awkward(in a bad way) thing I've ever seen in the show. I can excuse a lot due to the very nature of the anime/manga. I mean, this is the show with people who transform into monsters, have bugs that live in them, can kill you in your mind, can stab themselves and somehow hurt someone else, see like 10 miles into the distance, have possessed sand that protects them...

I can deal with just about anything the show throws at me since its been completely unrealistic since the beginning(which I enjoy) when Naruto split into a few dozen clones and pummeled someone, but that spaz attack was just...I don't know.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Ya'll are nuts. The last three or so years of his entire life have been about Sasuke. This is a guy he had convinced himself, body and soul, to be redeemable. And his every effort has been towards bringing him back, which has already been emotionally damaging enough, due to Sakura's promise and Sasuke's clear lack of desire to be "saved." Then:

- He learns Sasuke's in the Akatsuki
- He learns Sasuke's abducted those ninjas' master (echoes of losing Jiraya here)
- He learns that the Raikage and his cronies are trying to kill Sasuke

Shitty enough, but he handles it (though letting him get his ass kicked probably could have been better managed), and goes after the Raikage. Then we have, in approximately the span of like two hours:

- Raikage says fuck you, gonna kill him anyway
- Madara reveals Itachi's history, which gives Sasuke an actual REASON to be "evil" now, instead of what Naruto assumed was a simple "hate my brother" situation
- Sakura says "lol I love you" but Naruto reads it for the bullshit it is, which is shitty enough on its own
- Is told that the entire leaf village has given up on Sasuke and plans to kill him if they get the chance.
- Understands that Sakura plans to hill him herself. Sakura, the only person who Naruto thinks cares about Sasuke as much as, if not MORE than, he does.

The DENSITY of all these things happening in such short order, the relevance to his entire Sasuke-obsessed life, and the notion that a line has been crossed and he might no longer be redeemable at all? Yeah I'm gonna let him have a panic attack.

(Which isn't crying in a heap btw, as it seems to have been described, unless that happens in the next episode. A panic attack is a panic attack.)

Well, it's hard to expect that particular sort of reality out of the series when it hardly ever delivers it in that sort of magnitude. I think it does a great job at having things happen as you would expect them to in the world they created, especially when concerning the characters and how powerful they really are(kids usually can't step to elite adults, etc).

This isn't the first time Naruto was faced with traumatic events. He came back to see his village resembling a moon crater AND he assumed Kakashi to be dead...and didn't react at. All he even said was something like "...I see". The panic attack is something that very realistically should have happened considering those events, but I don't believe the series has ever put that much reality into its characters.

Maybe they intended for it to be an indication that he just buckled under the pressures of his entire life, not just the past few hours. I don't know. *shrugs*

Still one of my favorite shows ever.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I chalk up the lack of a real freakout at the Konoha crater to three things (man I am all about lists today):

1. Sage mode potentially altering his attitude in general to be much calmer (ala SSJ in DBZ making dudes more pissed off and fight-happy).
2. Not having the opportunity to ALLOW himself to have such an emotional response, since Pain was right there in front of him. This was the middle of a war, not "in a winter cabin with pals."
3. Honestly maybe just a little bit of weird writing. Him being that calm after seeing the nuked villiage and the Kakashi "death" has always irked me a little bit.

So with point 3 there, I'd probably say that scene was the weirder of the two. But maybe if we consider the overall tone of the series they're both a little off, just in opposite directions. Konoha crater... a little too calm. Cabin meltdown... maybe a little too freaked out. But neither is really so glaringly horrible to prompt the degree of outrage people seem to be citing from the manga thread.

Tathanen said:
I chalk up the lack of a real freakout at the Konoha crater to three things (man I am all about lists today):

1. Sage mode potentially altering his attitude in general to be much calmer (ala SSJ in DBZ making dudes more pissed off and fight-happy).
2. Not having the opportunity to ALLOW himself to have such an emotional response, since Pain was right there in front of him. This was the middle of a war, not "in a winter cabin with pals."
3. Honestly maybe just a little bit of weird writing. Him being that calm after seeing the nuked villiage and the Kakashi "death" has always irked me a little bit.

So with point 3 there, I'd probably say that scene was the weirder of the two. But maybe if we consider the overall tone of the series they're both a little off, just in opposite directions. Konoha crater... a little too calm. Cabin meltdown... maybe a little too freaked out. But neither is really so glaringly horrible to prompt the degree of outrage people seem to be citing from the manga thread.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with this. He is an emotional character, but has been a ton more "suppressed" in the Shippuuden series. Even when coming face to face with Sasuke, he really did absolutely nothing he would have done in the vanilla Naruto series. Honestly, I was almost scared of how Naruto would take seeing the crater for the first time. Having so many people dead, Sakura screaming his name as he appeared, Kakashi "dead", Hermit's killer right in front of him...I thought he would flip the hell out and go into Sage Fox mode or something. Anything but a calm. He handled that shit like Bush handled 9/11 in the classroom. Stoic.

Pein

Banned
Relix said:
Or Anime in general. It's dead in the USA
I dunno dude, with all the conventions and internet fandom I just don't think it is.

Holy crap some of this episode was badass but then they ruin it by padding it out with an epic amount of recaps. Also Sasuke summoning hawks is lame, snakes are way cooler and match his personality.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Pein said:
I dunno dude, with all the conventions and internet fandom I just don't think it is.

The anime market I meant with that. Anime is alive... but people that actually buy the products, especially with all the shit coming from Japan, is dwindling. We need a DBZ renaissance again. Naruto didn't cut it. That way the market can revitalize itself. Right now its a fish with a nearly empty tank.

louie

Man, the animation on the last episode was really great. Danzo and Sasuke's fight felt really cartoony and dynamic.

Pein

Banned
Relix said:
The anime market I meant with that. Anime is alive... but people that actually buy the products, especially with all the shit coming from Japan, is dwindling. We need a DBZ renaissance again. Naruto didn't cut it. That way the market can revitalize itself. Right now its a fish with a nearly empty tank.
If cartoon network kept naruto and added more shonen shows like one piece and played that shit when kids came out from school in an afternoon block, it would have been a hit.

louie said:
Man, the animation on the last episode was really great. Danzo and Sasuke's fight felt really cartoony and dynamic.
It reminded me too much of that 8-Tails vs. Pain fight, although the art was a hell of a lot worse during that fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom