• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 |OT| Finally, Tenten's Turn To Shine!

I notice that most (all?) characters have a move that is basically " (Tilt Left Stick), Circle, Circle... "

How do you do that? I triggered Sakura's by accident once, but I haven't been able to do it since. I tried just tilting the stick lightly, and tilting and pressing circle at the same time, and a few other combinations but nothing worked. Anyone know how to pull off those moves consistently? Naruto has one called Clone Arrow too, but I can't get it to work. :( It's probably something obvious that I'm missing, but the EU manual tells you nothing so I'm lost.

Dandy

MrPliskin said:
I get how to do it, but it requires pretty decent timing, does it not? I mean, I can't just furiously mash the block button and hope for it to happen, can I?

I mean, I see people who are literally doing this the first hit of a combo, consistently, every time. I don't get it. It almost feels like people are mashing block the moment I get near them.
You just learned how to successfully use substitution jutsus online. Also; turbo controllers. :lol

Skilletor

People bitching about KNJ spammers realize you can mix a throw into your combos, right? :lol

Deidara vs. Gaara was awesome. I'm not enjoying single player, though. I'm fucking Naruto. I've been training with one of the legendary sannin for 2 and a half years and you want me to deliver TRADING LICENSES? WTF

I'm enjoying the fights, though.

Game is fun. :)

Dante23 said:
Damn, you are so right, I thought that the streamlined version of the world was present in UNS1 too, but I saw a video and wow, I was very wrong, why the hell they didn't keep the full 3d towns?

Running around in Konoha got old quick. There was nothing to do there. Also, there was only one town in UNS1. I do think they need a chakra dash, though.

Single player is boring so far. I think it sucks equally in UNS1 and 2, but at least there's more to look at in the sequel.

Do they still have the tree mini-game? That was one of my favorite things.

inner-G

Banned
Wow, the sp experience is so much better without having to jump all over collecting scrolls.

Much more jrpg-ish series of text bubbles, fetch/deliver quests etc arent the best thing ever, but a vast improvement still, imo.

Skilletor said:
You didn't have to mash for them.

I thought you meant something different. For the supers, you just press chakra button twice and then attack. I thought you were referring to how the ps2 versions had multiple levels of each super. My mistake. :)

hmm its weird have they been toned down or something? the whole quicktime-ish stuff and the epic stuff seems to be missing in multiplayer?

In this one all i get is a fox image behind Naruto and then a fireball thing. Is that what is supposed to happen or am i doing something wrong?

desu

Skilletor said:
Do they still have the tree mini-game? That was one of my favorite things.

What the ... that was the worst part of the last game. Anyway, no more tree jumping in this game.

What is up with Tilt attacks? How do you do them?

I have been using Sasuke, and he does this one attack where he has a bolt of energy on the ground and it stuns a person the he can combo them into the air...

I am assuming that was a tilt attack or something, I have not been able to do it again... I know how to do all the other circle attacks... (basically holding a direction while combing, but this attack I mention above was different...)

Peff

Kabuki Waq said:
hmm its weird have they been toned down or something? the whole quicktime-ish stuff and the epic stuff seems to be missing in multiplayer?

In this one all i get is a fox image behind Naruto and then a fireball thing. Is that what is supposed to happen or am i doing something wrong?

Yes, they are like that now to prevent people from spamming long sequences online.

EDIT: Press forward, let it go, then press circle/B.

Skilletor

desu said:
What the ... that was the worst part of the last game. Anyway, no more tree jumping in this game.

I hated the ones going from point A to point B. The tree climbing mini-game, I thought, was decent and would have been fun multiplayer.

Peff said:
Yes, they are like that now to prevent people from spamming long sequences online.

EDIT: Press forward, let it go, then press circle/B.

wow I think I actually prefer it this way. No more mashing is always a good thing in fighting games. I will miss the awesome animation of the old Ultimate moves tho.

eosos

Banned
This game is so sick. I just got done with the Gaara vs Deidara fight. And I played 20 matches in a row with a friend XD

Skilletor

Host Samurai said:
The ultimate moves in the first game are so much better.

They were more eye candy, but I prefer these shorter versions. Now that it's online, we'll be seeing them a lot. It's better that they're shorter, for multiplayer reasons.

Do the characters learn a second jutsu in this game? There doesn't seem to be any option to change it, so it seems like they've all only got one now which would be a shame.

MrPliskin

Banned
Host Samurai said:
The ultimate moves in the first game are so much better.

The first time around, sure, however they got very old, very fast. It just wasn't as fun to go through the game with these ultimate moves over and over again. I much prefer how they've handled it this time, with fights that go through phases, each with varying levels of spectacle.

Hahahaha, what. I just found out who Nolan North voices in the game:
Madara Uchiha

Seriously, I couldn't tell it was him at all. :lol

I love the game so far. Only...the memory crystals are a little confusing.

Where do I find the crystals for the Gaara vs. Deidara and Naruto vs. Sasuke fights, for example? Or do they pop up later?

diglyd

Banned
I picked this up based on positive reviews and the positive vibe here and I must say that so far I am not very impressed and a little disappointed.

The single player seems very weak. I cannot stand the hand drawn backgrounds and the lack of free roaming without loading. Even a basic static picture map would have been better if I could go between locations faster. There isn't any fast travel option in the game and moving from place to place with the fixed camera angles is horrible. There is an unbelievable amount of backtracking and doing useless quests and dumb fights with the possessed people. The game is way to linear also with nothing really to do except follow the story progression.

Also I have never played a game with as many loading screens as this game. This game should be called Naruto Ultimate Loading! I mean seesh, there is a loading screen every 2 minutes every time I leave an area and every time I speak to someone. Even while inside a store when I bring up the inventory I get a loading screen upon exit. Every new story element has a loading screen and sometimes there are multiple loading screens in the same level or conversation. it completely breaks up the gameplay and looses the flow. Its like every time you almost get immersed the experience gets broken by a loading screen. What utter garbage.

having watched Naruto I don't think the game captures the feel of the show very well. ( The fighting yes the single player and story no). The music is completely out of place and does not capture any of the emotional impact of the key moments. At least the Ubisoft naruto games used the music from the show to a much greater effect. They should have used the show music at least at key parts. Also some of the boss battles were very weak like the fight with Sasori. The fight itself looks cool but with the quick time events it feels like you don't really enjoy the game because you are focussed on hitting x y a b etc instead of seeing all the other stuff happening on the screen. It would have been better if they just let me fight my way through his hordes of puppets instead of taking control away from me to do some qte and end the fight quickly. The Metal Gear and Zone of Enders 2 boss fights come to mind in this case. Instead of quick time events they should have just let me fight the bosses like they let you fight the bosses in Metal Gear. The flow of the Sasori fight was horrible as most of the beginning portion of the fight from the show wasn't even in the game. it just seemed all too easy and over way to quick. Game devs need to stop trying to do a cliff notes version of the a shows story in single player and expect that to be good. Instead t hey should either create something original or just recreate the battles exactly as they happened keeping the emotional impact or at least the key conversations instead of blazing through each sequence.

The one on one or team vs team fighting seems to be much better then the lame single player but as in all the previous games is extremely simplistic. I really don't like how you cannot break out of a chain once you are getting hit or can't block subsequent hits once one or 2 lands in a series. The other annoyance is the fact that I can't seem to be able to recharge chakra until whoever I punched into the air actually hits the ground and starts to get up. Its pretty fun non the less but I'm not sure its worth $60 bucks.

I do like all the characters at least the ones I opened up so far and the fighting is fun but seems really shallow. I have the first one but I barely played it so I am surprised I picked this one up.

I was hoping for a good beat em up but the single player has completely turned me off (because I have to play the lame single player to open up the fighters, what nonsense). It is just so slow and dull. I played for about 4 or 5 hours and I am only on chapter 2 because of the lame quests, needing to find ingredients and constant backtracking.

The single player graphics are pretty ugly when paired with the painted backgrounds. It reminds me of the PS2 games Cyberconnect released in the series. I was hoping it would look much better.

I tried connecting online to some ranked games 4 separate times and could not establish a connection to anyone and I am on a DMZ and 3 up and 10MB down on my cable modem. I just kept getting "can't establish connection" so I gave up.

All in all I'm not that impressed. I think this would be a good $30-40 game but not a $60. I downloaded the Dragon Ball Z demo and was much more impressed with the graphics and gameplay then with Naruto. Even the demo for Ken's rage seemed to be allot more fun and seemed to have more depth. Naruto in comparison seems to just be very dull at least in the singleplayer department. I dunno maybe it gets better but so far around the end of Chapter 2 or 3 its not that good. They should have just made a fighting game and skipped the single player all together.

Skilletor

diglyd said:
The one on one or team vs team fighting seems to be much better then the lame single player but as in all the previous games is extremely simplistic. I really don't like how you cannot break out of a chain once you are getting hit or can't block subsequent hits once one or 2 lands in a series. The other annoyance is the fact that I can't seem to be able to recharge chakra until whoever I punched into the air actually hits the ground and starts to get up. Its pretty fun non the less but I'm not sure its worth $60 bucks. .

You can't break out of a chain? Why should you be able to block after you've been hit? Why can't you recharge chakra?

All of these statements are strange complaints.

1. Yes you can. It's the substitution technique. They mention it several times on the multiple loading screens you complained about.

2. I don't understand why you should be able to block after somebody has started a combo. I play lots of fighting games, so maybe you're coming from a different perspective. Anyway, you can also do the substitution technique while you're getting hit.

3. You can recharge chakra anytime you want. If your complaint is about how there is no opportunity to do so until your opponent is disabled an unable to attack...um, would you suggest you take the time to do so while you can be attacked? It's a pretty slow move. Part of the strategy of the multiplayer is when to refill your chakra.

As for the rest of the wall of text, I agree with a lot of it. :) Myself, I wouldn't want a 1:1 recreation of the fights in the manga. Shippuden the manga/anime has been a horribly paced affair. I'm glad the game gets right to it. I love the QTE scenes. They look fantastic and are animated better than anything so far in the anime.

a176

Banned
The Alchemist Penguin said:
I notice that most (all?) characters have a move that is basically " (Tilt Left Stick), Circle, Circle... "

How do you do that? I triggered Sakura's by accident once, but I haven't been able to do it since. I tried just tilting the stick lightly, and tilting and pressing circle at the same time, and a few other combinations but nothing worked. Anyone know how to pull off those moves consistently? Naruto has one called Clone Arrow too, but I can't get it to work. :( It's probably something obvious that I'm missing, but the EU manual tells you nothing so I'm lost.

start combo with circle, circle, then hold stick in any direction, and continue mashing circle until combo is complete

a176

Banned
MrPliskin said:
I get how to do it, but it requires pretty decent timing, does it not? I mean, I can't just furiously mash the block button and hope for it to happen, can I?

I mean, I see people who are literally doing this the first hit of a combo, consistently, every time. I don't get it. It almost feels like people are mashing block the moment I get near them.

try not to press the should button all the way down

Sai

Shame you can't switch between Ninjutsu anymore. Chargeable, or "Enhanced" Ninjutsu just ain't enough, since not everybody has 'em.

TommyT

You know... I just clicked on this thread because well, just because. I must say that I was NOT disappointed.

wtf at Hokage Naruto!? Getting a bit ahead of ourselves aren't we?

Ferrio

Banned
Been playing, got up to chapter 6 or so?
Just saw Jiraiya die
. I hadn't watched any shippuden, so this is a nice way to get caught up the in story (though I've been spoiling myself, so nothing has been surprising but least I know why stuff is happening).

Single player is okay, all the collecting stuff is retarded and I just avoid it all together. My only complaint really is the loading. When you have loading screens that load up into another loading screen something is definitely wrong.

Like the rest, my only beef is with the loading screens, but even then, it doesnt bother me all that much. After completing chapter 1, Im REALLY enjoying this. Much better than the first, and I think that Ive been out of the anime for so long (keeping up with the manga) that its just very nice to be back to it being animated and hearing the voices again.

Hyunkel6

This game has been selling buckloads at my local gamestop. I went in to pick up Fallout yesterday, and heard the employees telling customers that they were sold out really fast.

I played the demo, and really enjoyed it. Will definitely picked it up during the holidays.

Sai

What I mean is that his name is actually supposed to be the letter B, as his brother's name is A, along with two higher-ranked Ninja from the same village named C and J.

It's a theme. :lol I can understand why it's done in the scanslations and fansubs, as it would look kind of awkward, but I figured the guys handling the more official stuff would catch it.

Lookin' foward to seeing "Ei" and "Shii" in NS3!

DualShadow said:
Is there a way to unlock
Minato? I bought the CE but couldn't find the code
You need like, 580,000 Storm points. Just playing through Ultimate Adventure and doing missions, requests, etc should get you that much.

Skilletor

Just beat Kakazu and Hidan

It's beginning to annoy me how badass they make Naruto look in this game. Making it look like the other characters just wait around doing nothing until Naruto shows up and owns the opponent. :lol

Was really hoping for some awesome cutscenes with Kakashi and Kakazu doing multiple element jutsu techniques against each other. :(

Totally ignored how awesome Shika's fight vs. Hidan was, too. One of my favorite fights in the series. I know they can't get all detailed about how smart Shikamaru is, but...yeah, disappointment total.

The Sauce vs. Naruto was especially bad, even though it looked awesome.

Oh well. Using the Sauce now. <3

I played a couple matches online and, after playing so much story, was wondering why my stuff wasn't working like it should. Stupid lag.

edit: should this stuff be spoiler tagged? ...just in case

@ZAnimus: Thanks.

One last thing...where do you find the story and battle records for Fragment? And what about battles 3 and 4 for the final chapter? I can't find them anywhere.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Wow I didn't even know this game exist, can someone tell me how's the online mode?

Is it competitive worthy?

Is the online region locked? I live in asia and the store only have region 2 edition, am I atuck playing with eueopean guys if I bought that, or should I wait for region 3?

MrPliskin

Banned
kiunchbb said:
Wow I didn't even know this game exist, can someone tell me how's the online mode?

Is it competitive worthy?
It's got some decent depth, but it's motly reduced to ranged attacks and jutsu's. Combos are essentially useless.

Sai

Played eleven ranked matches earlier. I can safely say that only three of those matches were against players that were playing with a standard controller.

The rest were using instant KnJ's far too consistently, especially when factoring in the lag. Turbo button controllers... :lol

I could only get two wins in. That trophy's going to have to wait, I guess.

Top Bottom