• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 |OT| Finally, Tenten's Turn To Shine!

Docpan

Does the PS3 version support 1080i mode?

The box says only 480/720, but there are plenty of examples on PS3 of games that support it despite not explicitly saying so.

Josh7289

Docpan said:
Does the PS3 version support 1080i mode?

The box says only 480/720, but there are plenty of examples on PS3 of games that support it despite not explicitly saying so.
I just tested it by setting my PS3 to output only 480p or 1080i over HDMI, and while the XMB was in 1080i when I launched the game it reverted to 480p, so unfortunately there's no 1080i mode in the game.

But anyway, this game is amazing with multiple people. I was playing in a group of three tonight, trading off the controllers between us, and the speed and amazing overall presentation and "come from behind" stuff in this game is so addicting.

We also tried online and while it was laggy, it was still fun talking with other people all together. Party atmosphere.

Really great, fun game. The battle system is simple, somewhat verging on simplistic, but when you realize it's all timing based and start to understand the differences between the combos you can do, you really start to understand the kind of pure fast fun this game provides.

It's really got a kind of fun similar to Smash Bros. when you're playing with others, though the characters are unfortunately not as varied as in that series. UNS2 is a much speedier game, though, so that gives it more of a distinct feel, too.

DihcarEM

Sai said:
I could only get two wins in. That trophy's going to have to wait, I guess.
Hate to break it to you but if you are going for trophies then you'll eventually have to have 50 online ranked wins. 10 wins is the trophy, 50 wins is the last online title you have to win because of the all titles trophy.

Crewnh said:
Except Tobi and Madara have different voice actors. Nolan North only voices Madara.
Suprised me too, i thought for sure that they chose him in part because of Tobi, the silly/goofy voice. If North voices Madara in the next game odds are it would it will be a lead role if going by the manga.

ZAnimus

RawkHawk2010 said:
@ZAnimus: Thanks.

One last thing...where do you find the story and battle records for Fragment? And what about battles 3 and 4 for the final chapter? I can't find them anywhere.
I can't remember where the final chapter's battle records were, but the ones for Fragment can be found in
the area starting with Forest of Quiet Movement, through to just before the Akatsuki hideout (where you fought Sasori)

DonMigs85

DihcarEM said:
Hate to break it to you but if you are going for trophies then you'll eventually have to have 50 online ranked wins. 10 wins is the trophy, 50 wins is the last online title you have to win because of the all titles trophy.

Suprised me too, i thought for sure that they chose him in part because of Tobi, the silly/goofy voice. If North voices Madara in the next game odds are it would it will be a lead role if going by the manga.
If they do release a 3rd game in a couple years I bet the manga will be over or almost over (but the anime may still be ongoing.)

Ferrio

Banned
So not having seen any of the shippuden manga/anime, how close is it to the game? Played through, and I know the story is pretty much the same since I've kinda spoiled myself on plot points through the years. How is it on the actual fights etc? Also I thought
Jiraiya's death was handled really well in the game, was it similiar to the anime/manga?

DihcarEM

Ferrio said:
So not having seen any of the shippuden manga/anime, how close is it to the game? Played through, and I know the story is pretty much the same since I've kinda spoiled myself on plot points through the years. How is it on the actual fights etc? Also I thought
Jiraiya's death was handled really well in the game, was it similiar to the anime/manga?
While it was very well done, the anime and manga are much better. It also really bothers me that the scene that you mention was heavily censored.

inner-G

Banned
Ferrio said:
There are tons of details left out. In the anime, the Jiraya/Tsunade thing was very emotional.

MrPliskin

Banned
I'm kind of disappointed with some of the things they changed within the story arc (minor details) but overall it's been pretty pleasant.

I was hoping that they would have given Jiraiya some more moves though, his set seems kind of limited (plus...2 different Rasengaan moves? Come on!).

Online is horrible...ugh. Seriously, can't believe how bad it is. I definitely think Turbo controllers are pretty rampant here, lol. That said, seems the only effective way to play is through strategy, i.e. using your items, support characters, and different Ninjutsu's in order to "trap" your opponent. It kind of destroy's the fast pace of the game and turns it into a slow paced "chess" match. Which isn't bad, necessarily, but it really does change what you've been taught through the single player.

Edit: Why can't I redo the "Sand Art Blast" Fight? Have I just not received that battle scroll?

Sai

DihcarEM said:
seinfeld.gif

Maybe if I knew beforehand, I would've tried to get that stuff out of the way when everybody was new... Perhaps I'll try after Christmas? :lol

Played 3 matches against a normal Naruto, Hokage Naruto and a unlocked version of The Sauce. Lost all three, with only the normal Naruto match (I was using Yamato) was close. :lol

diglyd

Banned
How did you guys get past the Hidan and Kakuzu fight when kakuzu wraps himself around the tree inj his monster form and you have to pull him out? This part seems really difficult to me. I can't seem to do enough damage before I get obliterated by the walls of fire and jutsu and stuff.

I figured out the pattern to get him out but when he catches fire and goes crazy I can barely touch him before he goes back into his monster form.

Any suggestions?

diglyd said:
How did you guys get past the Hidan and Kakuzu fight when kakuzu wraps himself around the tree inj his monster form and you have to pull him out? This part seems really difficult to me. I can't seem to do enough damage before I get obliterated by the walls of fire and jutsu and stuff.

I figured out the pattern to get him out but when he catches fire and goes crazy I can barely touch him before he goes back into his monster form.

Any suggestions?
Charge up shuriken into Demon Windmill Shuriken. Keep spamming that. And then just learn his pattern. He usually starts off with the triple blast in three directions, follows up with about four fireballs, then goes for a giant smash, and then does the whole tentacles from underground thing. When he's on fire, just jump around everywhere. He just does the triple blast and fireballs at a more frequent rate. Do not attack him when he's on fire.

diglyd

Banned
Crewnh said:
Charge up shuriken into Demon Windmill Shuriken. Keep spamming that. And then just learn his pattern. He usually starts off with the triple blast in three directions, follows up with about four fireballs, then goes for a giant smash, and then does the whole tentacles from underground thing. When he's on fire, just jump around everywhere. He just does the triple blast and fireballs at a more frequent rate. Do not attack him when he's on fire.

Thank you very much for the advice. I think my mistake is that when he is on the ground and he gets on fire I keep trying to charge him and get my butt handed to me. Thanks again.

Pein

Banned
Sai said:
Played eleven ranked matches earlier. I can safely say that only three of those matches were against players that were playing with a standard controller.

The rest were using instant KnJ's far too consistently, especially when factoring in the lag. Turbo button controllers... :lol

I could only get two wins in. That trophy's going to have to wait, I guess.
yeah its bullshit when you run in to those assholes. Here I am mashing liking a madman and they get it perfect every time.

But damn online is still good I've played over a hundred matches and I still wanna keep playing. Also fuck sage naruto as he turns 6TK its guaranteed you're fucked.

Skilletor

_tetsuo_ said:
The fact that you can substitute out of a throw is silly. Makes it a little too mash happy.

Yeah. I rescind my earlier statement in this thread. Knj makes this game's multiplayer absolutely stupid.

Dreavus

Haven't played the second one, but I always felt like in the first game the substitution move should take up a lot more meter. I think it took a TINY bit, but it was so little that it only really mattered when they were completely empty... which never happened. I'm guessing it's the same in this game too? =/

Dreavus said:
Haven't played the second one, but I always felt like in the first game the substitution move should take up a lot more meter. I think it took a TINY bit, but it was so little that it only really mattered when they were completely empty... which never happened. I'm guessing it's the same in this game too? =/
It's Why I always preferred the GNT(gamecube/wii) series, it was fighting game first, anime game second. It seems CC2 just wants to make party games. From what I've seen, if you want to play competitively, the emphasis is more on throwing shit & using your supports than actual fighting.

Sai

Man, how the heck do you get an S Rank against
the Hachibi
? It's the only one I haven't gotten an S on. Highest I've been able to get is A. The key seems to be keeping your health high, but he's huge--hard to evade even with speed boostin' items in effect, and he has attacks with crazy range that I can't even block!

Seems like I only stand a decent chance when I'm awakened, spammin'
Amaterasu
like there's no tomorrow. :lol But I have to lose more than half my health to get that mess goin'.

Wishlist:

-Harder KnJ's. Greater chakra cost, or more difficult execution that relies more on timing and position, or both.
-Chakra dashing to the side, or back diagonally
-Bring back selectable Ninjutsu. :(

Pein

Banned
Sai said:
Man, how the heck do you get an S Rank against
the Hachibi
? It's the only one I haven't gotten an S on. Highest I've been able to get is A. The key seems to be keeping your health high, but he's huge--hard to evade even with speed boostin' items in effect, and he has attacks with crazy range that I can't even block!

Seems like I only stand a decent chance when I'm awakened, spammin'
Amaterasu
like there's no tomorrow. :lol But I have to lose more than half my health to get that mess goin'.

Wishlist:

-Harder KnJ's. Greater chakra cost, or more difficult execution that relies more on timing and position, or both.
-Chakra dashing to the side, or back diagonally
-Bring back selectable Ninjutsu. :(
agreed on all fronts

Sai

Finally got an S against
the Hachibi
! Got that bentou that ups your attack power to the max, kept my distance and just spammed
Raikou Kenka
with the occasional
Chidori
whenever I was to his back, or side--using the item that lowers his defense beforehand, and making sure I had enough chakra to do a quick backwards chakra dash immediately afterwards.

Long, and tedious... But it worked. :lol

Why in the world would you have something this huge be capable of using Kawarimi no Jutsu?! And with a LOG at that?! MAKES NO SENSE!!

[EDIT] - Oh, and no title for getting all S on the story battles? Booo!! Did get one for clearing all the bonus conditions though.

Also, I think I missed out on the letter correspondence trophy because I told Tenten to stop being a lazy waste of space in my first reply to her. :lol Guess I'll have to do that the wrong nice way on my next playthrough. :p

I thought I was at least a decent player online, but I just lost 9 matches in a row. I was even beaten by somebody who was 18/47. :lol I guess my wins must've been against other people who were just brand new to the game.

Does anybody have any tips to not suck at this game online? One thing I've noticed is that I can't combo anyone anymore. Everybody just seems to mash block and will use substitution jutsu into a throw after my first hit.

DihcarEM

Sai said:
[EDIT] - Oh, and no title for getting all S on the story battles? Booo!! Did get one for clearing all the bonus conditions though.

Also, I think I missed out on the letter correspondence trophy because I told Tenten to stop being a lazy waste of space in my first reply to her. :lol Guess I'll have to do that the wrong nice way on my next playthrough. :p
Hehe, dude i could have told you that you don't need to get S on all fights to get a title. What you do get a title for is replaying all the fights and succeeding all bonus rules.

No i think you would still get a response from her.
Just got platinum this morning, using all fighters 30 times were the most boring titles to get.
BentMyWookiee said:
I thought I was at least a decent player online, but I just lost 9 matches in a row. I was even beaten by somebody who was 18/47. :lol I guess my wins must've been against other people who were just brand new to the game.

Does anybody have any tips to not suck at this game online? One thing I've noticed is that I can't combo anyone anymore. Everybody just seems to mash block and will use substitution jutsu into a throw after my first hit.
Combos are do able but they are dangerous. Ideal situation would be that your opponent is low on chakra so he/she can't sub j all the time and be aware which support they have. Pain,Hinata,Neji and some others are perfect combo breakers up close.
There isn't a single way to play this game, different players have different strategies. Play smart and adapt to your opponent.

DihcarEM said:
Combos are do able but they are dangerous. Ideal situation would be that your opponent is low on chakra so he/she can't sub j all the time and be aware which support they have. Pain,Hinata,Neji and some others are perfect combo breakers up close.
There isn't a single way to play this game, different players have different strategies. Play smart and adapt to your opponent.
Thanks for the advice! I guess I do need to pay attention more, I've never noticed how much or how little chakra substitution uses. I'll mess around a bit and keep my eye on it so that I can be aware of when to combo my opponent.

Also, does anybody have any tips for playing as any of the puppet master characters? I haven't used them all that much since I seem to get raped when I do. If an opponent gets past my puppet and my support characters aren't recharged, I pretty much get destroyed. Should I just keep my distance and play very defensively? Are there specific support characters that benefit a puppet master more?

Pein

Banned
BentMyWookiee said:
Thanks for the advice! I guess I do need to pay attention more, I've never noticed how much or how little chakra substitution uses. I'll mess around a bit and keep my eye on it so that I can be aware of when to combo my opponent.

Also, does anybody have any tips for playing as any of the puppet master characters? I haven't used them all that much since I seem to get raped when I do. If an opponent gets past my puppet and my support characters aren't recharged, I pretty much get destroyed. Should I just keep my distance and play very defensively? Are there specific support characters that benefit a puppet master more?
always keep distance since you're pretty vulnerable if they get up close. Neji, Hinata and Pain are the best to keep someone off of you if they get up close.

Sai

DihcarEM said:
No i think you would still get a response from her.
Yeah, I did get a response. But, I figured I could've gotten more if I wasn't mean to her in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong. :p

'cause I honestly don't know what else I'm missing. I've exchanged letters with everybody else, even with those anime filler characters that you trigger by buying those four books near Konoha's gates that're based on their stories.

Lyonaz

OMG my newest hate is bird/explosive bird spamming Deidara's. :lol Especially when they hover in the air like for the entire match. Also having Pain and Tobi as support, fuck you guys.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Pein said:
yeah its bullshit when you run in to those assholes. Here I am mashing liking a madman and they get it perfect every time.

But damn online is still good I've played over a hundred matches and I still wanna keep playing. Also fuck sage naruto as he turns 6TK its guaranteed you're fucked.

Not true. I faced Sage Naruto + 6TK and I beat him.

Sai

Sai said:
Yeah, I did get a response. But, I figured I could've gotten more if I wasn't mean to her in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong. :p

'cause I honestly don't know what else I'm missing. I've exchanged letters with everybody else, even with those anime filler characters that you trigger by buying those four books near Konoha's gates that're based on their stories.
^ So, apparently it was my last reply to Yamato that I was missing. :lol

Now... Need to find like one or two more story scrolls that I missed, that last messenger bird, get the rest of the titles, and imma platinum this thang.

MrPliskin

Banned
Just finished the main story stuff, working on the post game quests and what not now. Gotta get all those dolls so I can finish Fragment (not sure why this wasn't a part of the main quest?).

Having a good time online depending on who I run into. Sometimes I run into people who can sub out of everything I do (turbo controllers) and other times I run into folks that are playing legit, in which case it usually is an amazing battle down to the wire.

Still trying to find out a good combo for Support characters. I've found having a guard type helps a lot (someone like Neji). Let's me be safe to set up a decent Jutsu attack.

What I wonder is if the POV is the same for both players online? I don't know if I'm able to "hide" behind this stuff, or if he see's what I do, making it pointless.

Skilletor

/sigh @ needing to collect shitty colectables to unlock characters.

Urge to play dying...

Sage naruto is hot. Why can't I use him in adventure mode after I beat the game?

MrPliskin

Banned
Skilletor said:
/sigh @ needing to collect shitty colectables to unlock characters.

Urge to play dying...

Sage naruto is hot. Why can't I use him in adventure mode after I beat the game?

Who? I don't think there are many (any?) characters that you have to collect lots of things for. Aren't they all unlocked through the story or by earning storm points?

Skilletor

MrPliskin said:
Who? I don't think there are many (any?) characters that you have to collect lots of things for. Aren't they all unlocked through the story or by earning storm points?

I finished the main story and don't have all the characters. The game told me collecting curse dolls will unlock a 'certain character.'

I don't want to do pointless stupid quests to earn more storm points. I've played through the entire main story and still don't have everybody. Stupid.

I'm missing bee, minato, hokage naruto, akatsuki sasuke, and Lars.

Sai

You can get SP in free battle mode as well. It may not be as fast, but just unlock the rest of 'em through that.

And Sennin Naruto is too beast, that's why you can't use 'im. :p

MrPliskin

Banned
Skilletor said:
I finished the main story and don't have all the characters. The game told me collecting curse dolls will unlock a 'certain character.'

I don't want to do pointless stupid quests to earn more storm points. I've played through the entire main story and still don't have everybody. Stupid.

I'm missing bee, minato, hokage naruto, akatsuki sasuke, and Lars.

B and A. Sasuke are unlocked
by finishing "Fracture" which isn't unlocked until you finish the Dolls quest

H. Naruto is unlocked at Mount Monbyoku (spelling is way off, but you know what I mean). Prey to the statue there.

Lars and Minato are both unlocked by acquiring a fixed amount of BP, I believe around 600K+ you'll have both.

Skilletor

MrPliskin said:
B and A. Sasuke are unlocked
by finishing "Fracture" which isn't unlocked until you finish the Dolls quest

H. Naruto is unlocked at Mount Monbyoku (spelling is way off, but you know what I mean). Prey to the statue there.

Lars and Minato are both unlocked by acquiring a fixed amount of BP, I believe around 600K+ you'll have both.

Yeah...single player is annoying me after 12 hours. I'm just going to download a save. :lol

Edit: D'oh. Didn't work. :(

Damn my irrational fanboy love for Sasuke.

/me goes after more curse dolls. :'(

MrPliskin

Banned
Skilletor said:
Yeah...single player is annoying me after 12 hours. I'm just going to download a save. :lol

I tried to copy my save to a friends, and it didn't work. Good luck with that.

The SP isn't really annoying me. I actually am having a lot of fun, it's a good break from all the extremely silly "mature games" that have saturated the market as of late. This is much lighter. The only thing I could ask for would be better fast travel options instead of buying items and such to do so.

Skilletor

MrPliskin said:
I tried to copy my save to a friends, and it didn't work. Good luck with that.

The SP isn't really annoying me. I actually am having a lot of fun, it's a good break from all the extremely silly "mature games" that have saturated the market as of late. This is much lighter. The only thing I could ask for would be better fast travel options instead of buying items and such to do so.

Meh. Different strokes. I want to play as a certain character and shouldn't have to play for hours to do so. I'm going to play online a bit and if it annoys me, as I think it will, then on the game shelf this game goes.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Pretty solid game overall. That last doll Deidara fight @ urochimaru's hide-out was a bitch though...fuck that keep away game of his. I thought the
last ultimate doll/ninja (dark naruto)
was much much easier. Got that sucker on the first try. But not the Deidara one. Fuck that guy haha.

Edit: I think I had a tougher time cause I was using Tsunade as my main in the last doll Deidara fight; she suuuucks ass imo. Her ultimate jutsu is garbage as well.

kiryogi

Banned
I know I haven't seen the anime since after Sasori but damn the story mode battles are just so fucking epic. And the fact that it's so frenetic and consistent unlike what TV can churn out is just so awesome.

desu

Skilletor said:

Edit: D'oh. Didn't work. :(

Damn my irrational fanboy love for Sasuke.

/me goes after more curse dolls. :'(

If you dont care about the hokage costume, why dont you just play free battle?

Took me 60-90min to unlock all chars on my non review copy, starting from 0 SP.

Play with full handycap, finish with ougi and do a 40hit combo and finish in like 10 seconds and you will get around ~10k SP for each fight. Then just start over the battle (loading times are really short here...).

Anyone from or near Australia wanna have a match sometime?

Can only find really bad connections and it's like a 5 second delay on button presses :lol

Also no turbo controllers :p

Edit: I'm on xbox btw.

Kaako said:
Pretty solid game overall. That last doll Deidara fight @ urochimaru's hide-out was a bitch though...fuck that keep away game of his. I thought the
last ultimate doll/ninja (dark naruto)
was much much easier. Got that sucker on the first try. But not the Deidara one. Fuck that guy haha.
If you hated that Deidara fight, wait till you get online. They all play like that. :lol

I was just wondering if those online turbo controller battles are prevalent on the PS3 as well, I thought Sony released a firmware which blocked most third-party controllers recently...

Skilletor

OneMoreQuestion said:
I was just wondering if those online turbo controller battles are prevalent on the PS3 as well, I thought Sony released a firmware which blocked most third-party controllers recently...

That's some extreme hyprbole to say "most."

MrPliskin

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:

If by "most" you mean a very small handful out of a group of man, then yes.

And I don't think the turbo controllers are TOO bad. I run into people using them every few matches (maybe 1 out of every 8). Usually I con people into confessing they have them. A quick "Wow! You're really good man, how did you learn to do the Substitution so well!?" will get people to say "I use a turbo controller". At least it makes me feel better knowing I lost to a cheater :lol

The unfortunate truth is that CoD has made turbo controllers pretty common on both communities :(

Top Bottom