• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Fantasy Football League (No Quitters 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

minx

TD n Beer puttin in serious work this season. Commendable. Even if I'm still bitter at you for last season's draft comment. :)

Had a waiver in for Gostkowski also. Jerk.

I am wheeling and dealing that's for sure. Turned 3 waiver wire guys into Bell, Allen, and Ivory via trades after losing my RB2 and TE to injury. Hopefully I can finally make the playoffs for once as this league has never treated me well with injuries or luck.

Also what comment did I make last season? If I remember right I said I thought your drafted sucked? Lol I was surely joking and talking trash whatever it was.

UberTag

I love playing the monster scorer every week.
Except for last week when Foles Gold banged out a cool 31.59 points against you.

It would appear that despite neglecting setting his lineup and trade solicitations due to more pressing real-life concerns, fep will be back alone in 1st place this week with a 7-3 record.

Cloudy

Banned
Speaking of QB, this season has again proved to me that elite QBs and WR/Ts are more important than RBs in fantasy. The past few years I've always gone RB, RB and ended up with injuries and/or disappointment. A legit QB you don't have to worry about and top flight WR/Ts who are less likely to get hurt or under-used in a blowout is the key to being competitive

UberTag

Speaking of QB, this season has again proved to me that elite QBs and WR/Ts are more important than RBs in fantasy. The past few years I've always gone RB, RB and ended up with injuries and/or disappointment. A legit QB you don't have to worry about and top flight WR/Ts who are less likely to get hurt or under-used in a blowout is the key to being competitive
I'll back you up on this. Landing a legit QB has been a big reason as to why I've managed to make the money each and every year in No Quitters.

2011 - The one year I didn't land a great QB. Drafting Big Ben and the league's punishing sack penalty resulted in persistent QB streaming that still only led to a paltry 7-6 regular season finish and a narrow Money Round victory. My starting QB in Week 15 that year was Matt Moore of the Dolphins. Ugh. If you miss at QB in a 16-team league, it's a nightmare of epic proportions as you're literally crossing your fingers hoping that a replacement emerges that can become a weekly starter. I was carried that season by Ray Rice and having a huge edge at Tight End thanks to Gronk.

2012 - I had Matt Ryan during his career-best season. Resulted in decent 7th place fantasy QB numbers but he was consistent weekly - especially when Atlanta was at home.

2013 - Peyton Manning; #1 fantasy QB in points-per-game

2014 - Andrew Luck; #1 fantasy QB in points-per-game (so far)

Not only does landing a top-tier quarterback give you peace of mind - but in a league like this one where bench spots are thin, you're free to fire more shots in hopes of hitting waiver wire paydirt at the positions you're struggling in (typically wide receiver or running back). Short bench/deep ownership leagues mandate landing a great QB. Larger bench/small ownership leagues I would argue against it.

WR/TE is more dicey as there are fewer slam dunks that you can consistently rely upon during the draft. Gronk, Graham and Thomas will almost certainly deliver at Tight End - although Thomas is rather boom/busty and the other two bring injury baggage. Wide receivers are even more of a lottery once you get past Antonio Brown, Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, the designated WR2 of the Broncos (if you know who that is), Randall Cobb, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant and Megatron (when he's healthy).

Cloudy

Banned
Not only does landing a top-tier quarterback give you peace of mind - but in a league like this one where bench spots are thin, you're free to fire more shots in hopes of hitting waiver wire paydirt at the positions you're struggling in (typically wide receiver or running back). Short bench/deep ownership leagues mandate landing a great QB. Larger bench/small ownership leagues I would argue against it.

Exactly. I'm not going to drop Tannehill now and give someone a pretty good QB but I didn't roster a backup QB till like week 7 (bye was 10)

minx

I always wait on a QB in every league. Don't think I have ever drafted one before the 5th round. I have always had success with it as I have made the playoffs every year in my other leagues and made it to the championship most times. Granted that was with lucky waiver wire pickups at QB. Got Vick the year he went off, Rivers last year, etc. Chances of that happening in a 16 team league are more slim however.

Pepiope

I always wait on a QB in every league. Don't think I have ever drafted one before the 5th round. I have always had success with it as I have made the playoffs every year in my other leagues and made it to the championship most times. Granted that was with lucky waiver wire pickups at QB. Got Vick the year he went off, Rivers last year, etc. Chances of that happening in a 16 team league are more slim however.
Yep. Whether I like it or not, I'm pretty much stuck with Matt Ryan. Couldn't even pick up Sanchez.

acksman

I'm riding the RG3 train the rest of the way in myself.

200.gif

minx

I'm starting to sweat... This should not be happening

Wow Int at end of half. I had what... A 40 point lead with a defense and TE to go against me?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Wow Int at end of half. I had what... A 40 point lead with a defense and TE to go against me?

Had a 30 point lead with Phillies D, Olsen and Jeremy Mathews against me.

Now losing by near 30 :lol

Cloudy

Banned

Unreal comeback. Philly D is ridiculous

Pepiope

Olsen going out would help. This Eagles D is going to keep getting sacks and INTs though. Carolina needs to score again. Not going to happen. Probably going to lose in epic fashion.
I'd feel bad if you lost due to 35+ points from the Eagles D.

Edit: There goes your lead. Wow.

Cloudy

Banned
I wonder what the folks who drafted McCoy #1 are thinking. I got him #1 cos I was late to a draft and it autopicked. Probably my worst 1st round pick ever lol

Pepiope

I wonder what the folks who drafted McCoy #1 are thinking. I got him #1 cos I was late to a draft and it autopicked. Probably my worst 1st round pick ever lol
You could've drafted Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson

There's still a chance for a win. Panthers might score a bunch now that it's garbage time. If the Panthers score a TD without Olsen getting the ball, you guys would be tied.

Cloudy

Banned
You could've drafted Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson

There's still a chance for a win. Panthers might score a bunch now that it's garbage time. If the Panthers score a TD without Olsen getting the ball, you guys would be tied.

It autodrafted Shady. Yahoo had him at #1

minx

Total ineptitude by Carolina lost it for me. 9 sacks. 5 turnovers, Two TDs. I have lost two games by one point and now this one by two points. This one might hurt the worst even though last time I would have beat every other team except my match up that week. However this week having a 40+ point lead against a TE and D is laughable. I just can't win in this league.

Although I do carry some of the blame because if I had not dropped Andre Williams and started him instead of trading for Ivory I would have won.

Cloudy

Banned
Although I do carry some of the blame because if I had not dropped Andre Williams and started him instead of trading for Ivory I would have won.

I don't get that move. Seattle's D is nothing to write home about this year and Jennings was ruled out already.

Dropping a feature back (who knows how effective Jennings will be moving forward?) and carrying 2 kickers?

smh.gif

minx

I don't get that move. Seattle's D is nothing to write home about this year and Jennings was ruled out already.

Dropping a feature back (who knows how effective Jennings will be moving forward?) and carrying 2 kickers?

smh.gif

Because Williams has been averaging 30 rushing yards per game? He got a goal line carry for a TD. He is trash.

minx

Still not sure you drop him to save a kicker in a 16-team league though...

I would never think about starting him again with Morris, Bell, and Ivory. Jennings should be returning next week and Williams role will be extremely limited considering he can't even run for 3 years per carry. And it was for the top kicker in the league which I thought would help me more than a 4th RB. It wasn't a dumb move, looking back I would have changed it though for a win. Those are hard to come by for my team. A hell of a 4-6 team though.

UberTag

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just biased against kickers lol
Gostkowski's consistent... so I understand the logic. But I'm kind of with you on this one.
At least in this scoring format.
Frankman's league has inflated scoring for kickers so I'd be more partial to that kind of move there.

Interestingly enough, the Gostkowski owner elected to ride without a kicker in his lineup this week to preserve both his kicker advantage and his bench space and wound up losing a close game. No kicker off the wire would have been enough to close the gap - so, in retrospect, it didn't matter - but it easily could have made the difference between winning and losing.

minx

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm just biased against kickers lol

Kickers and Defenses could leave fantasy football for all I care. Can't say I have ever seen so many close losses before especially being one of the top scorers when doing so. I really like my team with my trades and pickups. They have recently been putting up good points but it just isn't going my way. That's fantasy football for ya.

Also every trade can't go my way. Picking up Bell and Allen certainly did. Will be looking to trade Rivera this week. Deadline is soon right.

UberTag

Also every trade can't go my way. Picking up Bell and Allen certainly did. Will be looking to trade Rivera this week. Deadline is soon right.
I think it's too early to draw conclusions on how effective the Ivory-Bryant trade was off a 1-week sample size. Jets have a nice rushing schedule after they play the Bills and Vick will keep them in games better than Geno did. You're just going to have to wait until December to gauge whether it pays dividends.

minx

I think it's too early to draw conclusions on how effective the Ivory-Bryant trade was off a 1-week sample size. Jets have a nice rushing schedule after they play the Bills and Vick will keep them in games better than Geno did. You're just going to have to wait until December to gauge whether it pays dividends.

True. I meant as far as a one week trade, the trade lost me a game...flat out. So it would have to win me one to even out. I can still make the playoffs since I have a high point total. But I need lady luck to quit fucking me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom