• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Exclusive Revealed Next Week On GTTV (Superbot's PS All-Stars)

Exactly. I don't understand the bitterness.

I don't think bitterness is the right word. Rather, for the longest time Nintendo fanboys have had this opinion that Sony copies everything and the game would be a shameless Smash ripoff. You know, basically strawmen arguments.

Only...it turned out to be exactly true, which unfortunately perpetuates the "they copy everything, argh!" mentality.

You can say this about any game of the same genre. It's about time we got another party fighter.

Why would they credit smash brothers? It's not like every shooter credits doom.

Smash is great, we need more.
Oh I agree, frankly I'm looking forward to trying this out myself don't get me wrong.

And to clarify, I'm hoping that should it come up in interviews or what have you (which it more than likely will), the devs at least acknowledge where they've drawn their inspiration from. I'm obviously not expecting this acknowledgement in press release form or anything because that would be stupid on their part. If anything I hope they don't try to act like this is some sort of original concept they've created.

Sorry, I have bad experiences with plagiarism.

Kyon

Banned
Drink it up!

missny-eyerollchamp.gif

Hold me!

prwxv3

Though it looks like SB it could play totally different. Either way im in if they make is as absurd as possible and its fun.

Is the stream running like crap for anyone else? I can't even make anything out

edit: it's much better now

finally!

omgggfffffffff

love smash and im loving this, it's exactly how I envisioned it needing to look

The Lamp

The combat just doesn't seem as "snappy" as it could be (as SSB is) for some reason. It lacks "punch", I can't put my finger on it.

Hmm? Up to 4 characters, from different IP, fighting in the same arena with exaggerated moves and the ability to greatly defy gravity?

I think there have been quite a few games that have done that but simply not as popular. The first two that come to mind for me is the Naruto Gekitou Taisen series and Battle Stadium D.O.N.

But people only compare to what is familiar and Smash series is the biggest around.

Well sure there are those games, and whatever the other one is for the DS, and the TMNT game, but I'm talking about a 1st party Smash clone that goes into a company's history/IP's in the same way Smash does. That's never really been duplicated, and Sony is the perfect company to attempt it. The salt from those crying "Bu bu bu bu bu bu bu it's just like Smash" is dumb.

Almost every traditional 2D fighters over the last 20 years has copied + improved the same formula, no reason the "Smash Bros party fighter" sub-genre can't do the same.

Cipherr

This game was less similar to Smash than I had envisioned it. From what i saw, the moves seemed to have much more crazy range and it seemed like hand-to-hand combat wouldn't be as common as it is in smash.

I think you will be one of the few that actually expected it to more closely mimic Smash than it does. Outside of health bars and stage knockoffs Im not sure what else they could have brought over. I mean the game even clearly allows for those baseball esque knockbacks that send a player flying, they can then recover and float/jump back into the fray. Its very literally the exact same. Im seeing flat out duplicate moves here. I think the biggest difference I can come up with, is no items.

The combat just doesn't seem as "snappy" as it could be (as SSB is) for some reason. It lacks "punch", I can't put my finger on it.

Really? Care to give an example? This looks exactly like it. I dont see how you could say this lacks anything Smash has tbh.

I really like how the stages aren't themed after one franchise. We saw:

A GOW stage with Patapon mixed in
A LBP stage with Buzz! mixed in
A Jak & Daxter stage with Hot Shots Golf mixed in
A Ratchet & Clank stage with GOW mixed in

Really really interesting.

They also said the music is going to be a mix between all the games so that will be interesting.

I think you will be one of the few that actually expected it to more closely mimic Smash than it does. Outside of health bars and stage knockoffs Im not sure what else they could have brought over. I mean the game even clearly allows for those baseball esque knockbackas that send a player flying, they can then recover and float/jump back into the fray. Its very literally the exact same. Im seeing flat out duplicate moves here. I think the biggest difference I can come up with, is no items.
Watch again, it clearly has items.

Kaizer

Banned
This easily just jumped to the top of my most wanted games of 2012. My mind is racing thinking of all the possible characters & stages. And you just know Sony will have plenty of DLC for this as well.

What's the potential of this having a PS3 AND Vita version? Ala similar to what the next Smash Bros. is supposed to be doing with the Wii U & 3DS.

The M.O.B

Not really digging the style of the game, nothing really meshes with the environments.

And Kratos not cutting enemies in half or decapitating them just looks wrong. Instead he is slicing them with fruity colors......

Thoraxes

This easily just jumped to the top of my most wanted games of 2012. My mind is racing thinking of all the possible characters & stages. And you just know Sony will have plenty of DLC for this as well.

What's the potential of this having a PS3 AND Vita version? Ala similar to what the next Smash Bros. is supposed to be doing with the Wii U & 3DS.

Well considering it's only been announced for PS3, I think it's safe to assume as of right now that it's only going to be for PS3.

SykoTech

Oh man, love Captain Qwark's cameo! Must have missed that the first time.

This is like a mini-E3 right here. Glad they didn't wait.

And now, to read the reactions. :p

I can't wait for this. This looks so good, I don't care if it's a Super Smash clone. I love playing Smash and having another party fighting game to play with my friends will be super fun.

I'm interested to see what third party characters they got to include. I want to see what other stages there are, too. What the move sets are...what are the controls...oh god I want more information. More! More! More!

rdrr gnr

Not really digging the style of the game, nothing really meshes with the environments.

And Kratos not cutting enemies in half or decapitating them just looks wrong. Instead he is slicing them with fruity colors......
I feel the same way. It's aesthetically unappealing. The combining of stages is a terrible idea.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
this game needs

The car from RIDDDDDDDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRR
a MLB The Show stage complete with play by play
a PS Home stage with a background of people doing that stupid rave dance
a Folding @ Home stage as a Final Destination stage
a Kung Fu Ragdoll stage

I'm done.

VanWinkle

This thread is hilarious. Jett is absolutely cracking me up.

I was worried how they would blend such different artstyles but it seems to have worked well.

Top Bottom