• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Exclusive Revealed Next Week On GTTV (Superbot's PS All-Stars)

I'm not entirely sure why people are considering it a ripoff of Smash when we don't know how moves work, what the block/dodge system is like, how you kill your opponents, what the scoring system is, what the options are, etc. etc. etc.

We know: there are characters from Sony franchises beating each other up on stages from Sony franchises. There are 3 different levels of supers, something that isn't from Smash. That's basically it, gameplay-wise. I didn't see people flying off the map and dying, and most of the stages they showed were enclosed it seemed.

We don't know how robust or simple the fighting aspect of the game is going to be. I think a lot of people are jumping the gun on declaring it a complete ripoff of Smash. Yes, obviously there are influences but I'd wait until we get more concrete gameplay and control information before we start declaring that Nintendo needs to sue.

prwxv3

I'm not entirely sure why people are considering it a ripoff of Smash when we don't know how moves work, what the block/dodge system is like, how you kill your opponents, what the scoring system is, what the options are, etc. etc. etc.

We know: there are characters from Sony franchises beating each other up on stages from Sony franchises. There are 3 different levels of supers, something that isn't from Smash. That's basically it, gameplay-wise. I didn't see people flying off the map and dying, and most of the stages they showed were enclosed it seemed.

We don't know how robust or simple the fighting aspect of the game is going to be. I think a lot of people are jumping the gun on declaring it a complete ripoff of Smash. Yes, obviously there are influences but I'd wait until we get more concrete gameplay and control information before we start declaring that Nintendo needs to sue.

This

3ozxuq.jpg

This should be great. Would be awesome on Vita as well.

key

I really don't care if it is a rip-off of smash, but just look at it. It is. There's no denying it. Yes, there will be a few things that are different, but anyone can look at the footage and see that the game is a smash bros clone. Now, whether or not it'll be as good as smash is obviously up in the air. I think it looks fun, but I need to see more. I also don't really care much about Sony's current line up, but if they pull in some classic characters like Spyro, Crash, and Cloud, I think the roster could be pretty good.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The thing I don't get, is why can't "Smash Bros" be it's own genre?

I love Smash Bros Melee to death. It's one of my favorite Gamecube games.

Why can't that style of game become more common for companies that, literally, have a legacy of titles?

It's a great way to keep IP that one might not want to make a WHOLE GAME ON relevant; I do wish we'd see more games like this. Sega, as mentioned, could really use "Genre anniversairy games" every few years. Maybe retail wouldn't accept a next gen SoR game, but what if they did a game that celebrated from Golden Axe to Dynamyte Deka, with all the SoR, Zombie Revenge, and other non-related-but-fondly-remembered IPs thrown in?

I feel this way every time I see a Super Robot Wars, or that Heroes Phantasia game with Fantasy Anime characters from the past 20 years all collected together...

Sakurai must be loving this, in more ways than one. Obviously he'll be flattered first of all, but whether or not the game turns out well, he might finally get the chance to look externally to see if certain ideas work.

It must be a bit of a relief to no longer be the only guy in the world making this type of game.

Agreed. Smash did a FANTASTIC job mostly by itself, but none of the competetion ever had the funding or brand power to match and actually SURVIVE. This might be the first that can really do it. It'd be great to see another game that stands toe-to-toe with Smash. Better for Smash, and it's imitators!

I do hope Sony plays their cards right and with some hype during the following months leading to release. Reveals of characters, gameplay, as mentioned..a Dojo-like site.

Not random blog entries from PSBlog and then a November release . :p

Yeah, they should really promo these games full-force. Use that huge backlog to release PSN classics while announcing characters, put sales on pre-released games over the characters reveal week, make some nostalgic documentaries... it could really be great, if they do it right.

---

..... I'm the only person who'd love to see some Battle Arena Toshinden characters, eh? LoL. Sure, sure, it's not it's not pure Sony... but Toshinden was one of the biggest reasons WHY I couldn't get those PSX in-store demo plays out of my head...

The bars are definitely for the supers. Watch when he is talking about Kratos' supers, when he uses his swords one, the bar next to his portrait goes down. They aren't health bars.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Some of the tweets are great.

"Ethan Mars vs The Petals from Flower"

"A Helghast vs a Chimera"

"Uncharted Thugs vs Space Marines

lol

Can't wait for Battle Royale Dojo Temple website.

Thread will get dehydrated soon because of that glorious salt that's being produced here.

Will play the hell out of this game. People need to stop bitching. When Darksiders copies Zelda everybody is like OMG WE NEED MORE OF THIS and when Sony does it with Smash Bros people are salty.

The problem with this game is not just that it is a Smash Bros. clone, it's that I just don't really care about the characters in the game since I was largely Nintendo & SEGA my whole life until I got a PS3 in 2009. I mean sure this is great for fans and will help tide people over, but I kind of wish Sony would make a game like this with all new characters who I can get to know and connect with. I just don't have the connection with all of the other characters since I never played almost any of the games they have been in. Am I wrong to think this? Maybe I should just pick up the game anyway?

Opiate

Thread will get dehydrated soon because of that glorious salt that's being produced here.

Will play the hell out of this game. People need to stop bitching. When Darksiders copies Zelda everybody is like OMG WE NEED MORE OF THIS and when Sony does it with Smash Bros people are salty.

What about when Gameloft copied Halo and Uncharted? I'm not particularly interested in this game (or, for that matter, in Smash Brothers), so I think the only genuinely interesting discussion in here would be where we draw the line.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The problem with this game is not just that it is a Smash Bros. clone, it's that I just don't really care about the characters in the game since I was largely Nintendo & SEGA my whole life until I got a PS3 in 2009. I mean sure this is great for fans and will help tide people over, but I kind of wish Sony would make a game like this with all new characters who I can get to know and connect with. I just don't have the connection with all of the other characters since I never played almost any of the games they have been in. Am I wrong to think this? Maybe I should just pick up the game anyway?

I didn't know every character in smash bros, should I never play the games?

Sean

Banned
I don't fault Sony for copying something popular, but it seems crazy that a straight up clone like this was apparently in development for several years.

This is the type of "reactionary" game that you'd expect to be outsourced to some no-name developer and rushed out within a year or two (ie Kung Fu Chaos on the original Xbox).

Imagine this (if Ethan is in the game):
the character he 'kills' with his fatality, is transported into a mall, where he or she sees a character from his / her game, like parappa would see sunny, Jak would see Daxter, Kratos his wife and kids,
run over by a car, the scene is shot like the one in Heavenly Rain, complete with the balloon flying off.

Would that be amazing or would that be amazing?

What about when Gameloft copied Halo and Uncharted? I'm not particularly interested in this game (or, for that matter, in Smash Brothers), so I think the only genuinely interesting discussion in here would be where we draw the line.

It is interesting where to draw the line. Then again I don't believe Smash Bros mechanics are patented.

I would patent te fuck out of horde mode for example.

Game-tropes are a thing and people need to live with it.

Instro

That's probably a bad comparison considering Darksiders is not purely a Zelda clone and also borrows from GoW.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

oh COME ON. Acknowledge inspiration and appreciate improvements. Big freaking deal. It looks exactly like SSB and that's ok -- but let's not pretend this is something it isn't.

I'm pretty sure Captain Falcon wasn't a terribly huge/important/well known character until Super Smash Bros. Falcon Punch wasn't even a THING until Super Smash Bros. In later iterations, characters like Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Pit...Nintendo brought back way old characters and breathed new life into them using the Smash Bros. brand.

This is a great marketing move for Sony, exactly for people like you who only got a PS3 and aren't as familiar with old PSX games. How many people will pick this up, never having played PaRappa the Rapper and possibly gain interest in an old Sony franchise?

Opiate

It is interesting where to draw the line. Then again I don't believe Smash Bros mechanics are patented.

I would patent te fuck out of horde mode for example.

Game-tropes are a thing and people need to live with it.

I just don't think people feel that way about Gameloft titles (you may, and I do as well, by the way). My general sense is that Gameloft is reviled on GAF, however.

I feel that Sony has recognized a market vacuum that it is filling. It is a consequence of hardware designers releasing their games exclusively for the systems they design. If Super Smash Brothers had been releasing on Sony platforms since the franchise was created, I doubt this game would exist. But Nintendo refuses to do that, so Sony is filling the void. That makes sense to me.

Yes you are wrong, it isn't their fault you never owned a Playstation platform. They are catering for those who are fans, and even then there are lots of PS3 relatable characters, so if you enjoy exclusive games on your PS3, it is possible to demonstrate interest for those characters. If you don't like any of those games, then it rests on it being a party fight game, which is something that lacks on PS3. If that does not interests you still, just don't buy it. Simpleeeee.

There is also recovery in the game, around 7:47 you can clear as day see Sweet Tooth get sent flying off the the main part of the stage and isn't dead so obvious recovery is in place.

Also the main big list that leaked out that said what Sweet Tooth's main super was with the mech and Kratos using the wings and the fact it was 4 player and Smash Bros. gameplay also stated that every character has the ability to double jump and compared Kratos' wings to Pit from Brawl.

Kaizer

Banned
Well as someone noted earlier in this thread, I don't see why the gameplay style of Smash Bros. can't be elevated onto a genre of fighting/party games of its own. I'd love to see plenty of games with large casts of characters or historic franchises with a Smash Bros. style template.

At some point, the idea of a first-person view of a guy holding a gun as a game wasn't widespread - is every FPS a shameless ripoff? The way I see it, Nintendo/Sakurai got the formula for how to make games like this work well - I don't see what's so wrong about others working around his layout.

It's different to me from something like Gameloft's shameless copies.

Top Bottom