• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Exclusive Revealed Next Week On GTTV (Superbot's PS All-Stars)

Kyon

Banned
The problem with this game is not just that it is a Smash Bros. clone, it's that I just don't really care about the characters in the game since I was largely Nintendo & SEGA my whole life until I got a PS3 in 2009. I mean sure this is great for fans and will help tide people over, but I kind of wish Sony would make a game like this with all new characters who I can get to know and connect with. I just don't have the connection with all of the other characters since I never played almost any of the games they have been in. Am I wrong to think this? Maybe I should just pick up the game anyway?

this isnt catered to nintendo fans only just getting a PS system tho...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
What about when Gameloft copied Halo and Uncharted? I'm not particularly interested in this game (or, for that matter, in Smash Brothers), so I think the only genuinely interesting discussion in here would be where we draw the line.

Then there would be only 5 or 6 Real Games and everything else would be a copy of it

Draw the Line?... Have you seen how many shitty FPS's have popped up just do to Call of Duty and the cash cow it is, and try to copy the formula

Unless Sony went and copy/pasted Nintendo code, they're allowed to do this, it is not hurting anyone in the industry
Nintendo might make the next SSB really ridiculous just to crush the competition, show Sony why they are always contenders, not pretenders

Nintendo can get back at them with next title, and sell millions in a month, which might take a Sony title close to a year to sell

I'm happy I get to enjoy a SSB kind of game on preferred platform, which at the moment is the PS3

Well doing this concept, they are fucked either way. People would be pissed if it wasn't like Smash and people are pissed because it's like Smash.

The fact that all these characters are in one game is great and amazing that it actually exists. A lot of us have grown up loving these characters (even more then some Nintendo ones), so this is a great treat for the fans. If they had to copy from a proven format, then so be it -- can't wait to try it!

this isnt catered to nintendo fans only just getting a PS system tho...

I have/had every PS system and I still don't care about any of the characters...

I suppose if you grew up only playing Playstation systems then it's all you know and you would have the same level of nostalgia as an older Nintendo or Sega fan?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The problem with this game is not just that it is a Smash Bros. clone, it's that I just don't really care about the characters in the game since I was largely Nintendo & SEGA my whole life until I got a PS3 in 2009. I mean sure this is great for fans and will help tide people over, but I kind of wish Sony would make a game like this with all new characters who I can get to know and connect with. I just don't have the connection with all of the other characters since I never played almost any of the games they have been in. Am I wrong to think this? Maybe I should just pick up the game anyway?

Tthe thing that makes Smash really great is that the characters have HUGE history to draw inspiration from. A game like this with NEW characters doesn't have the same appeal.

For a new person however, this could be a minus, but only for a short while. Smash basically works as a fun introduction to fleshed-out characters that all come from games worth playing, with worlds, music, and lore worth exploring.

If you're not familiar with the games, you could play demos of their games in the Wii Smash (which was a very nice idea), and read up on their history in the collections / gallery area.

Hopefully, this game does some of the same things. I'd easily agree that the characters are not as awesome as Nintendo's and Sega's long-living characters, but there's something here for everyone, which is pretty nice. Even from just the current cast, some character is from a game that you'd fall for.

Opiate

Well as someone noted earlier in this thread, I don't see why the gameplay style of Smash Bros. can't be elevated onto a genre of fighting/party games of its own. I'd love to see plenty of games with large casts of characters or historic franchises with a Smash Bros. style template.

At some point, the idea of a first-person view of a guy holding a gun as a game wasn't widespread - is every FPS a shameless ripoff? The way I see it, Nintendo/Sakurai got the formula for how to make games like this work well - I don't see what's so wrong about others working around his layout.

It's different to me from something like Gameloft's shameless copies.

Right, we can discuss how much "ripoff" is going on here. That's part of the discussion. Sometimes, games ape others only modestly (for example, I don't feel Killzone "ripped off" Halo to any gratuitous degree, even though most of us would agree that Killzone exists to combat Halo's prominence). I think Forza would fit the same description, as that series obviously exists to soften the blow that Gran Turismo brings. But other games, like Gameloft titles, are viewed as so close to the original that some people are put off by the how similar the games are.

The question, then, is where this game lies along that spectrum. I don't think it's obvious yet how closely this game apes Smash Brothers, but it's probably reasonable to say it mimics it strongly -- maybe not offensively strongly, however.

zroid

Banned
Well doing this concept, they are fucked either way. People would be pissed if it wasn't like Smash and people are pissed because it's like Smash.

I was hoping for a Power Stone clone personally, but I guess I'll take it. :p

GTTV only got to reveal 6 characters,

Parappa
Sly
Fat Princess
Kratos
Sweet Tooth
Radec

More will come later.

Bah, could've sworn I saw more than that from all the footage.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Has someone managed to compile a roster yet?

So far from the Video:

Sweet Tooth
Radec
Kratos
Parappa
Fat Princess
Sly Cooper

Background Characters = Patapon Crew, Hades (affects Stage), Qwark, Hydra

Each character has 3 levels of Super

I really don't care if it is a rip-off of smash, but just look at it. It is. There's no denying it. Yes, there will be a few things that are different, but anyone can look at the footage and see that the game is a smash bros clone. Now, whether or not it'll be as good as smash is obviously up in the air. I think it looks fun, but I need to see more.

oh COME ON. Acknowledge inspiration and appreciate improvements. Big freaking deal. It looks exactly like SSB and that's ok -- but let's not pretend this is something it isn't.

What separates Smash Bros. from other fighting games for me is the way you score kills: beating them up until they get to a high percentage and then knocking them off the stage. The throw system is an integral part of that. That's the basic tenet of Smash Bros. There isn't a % and it doesn't look like you knock people off the map for victory, so I don't think it's a direct copy/paste of the Smash Bros. gameplay.

Yes, aesthetically it's a lot like Smash, and that's pretty much all we've seen so far: aesthetics. Characters from different franchises beating each other up. Stages involving worlds from Sony games. Yes, Radec's lvl 3 super looks like Snake's Final Smash. But that's all aesthetics.

I'm not going to lie and argue that Sony wasn't obviously inspired by Smash Bros when they created the concept of this game. But I'm going to wait and see actual descriptions of gameplay and control mechanics before I write it off as a "copy" or "ripoff" of Smash Bros.

antonz

Right, we can discuss how much "ripoff" is going on here. That's part of the discussion. Sometimes, games ape others only modestly (for example, I don't feel Killzone "ripped off" Halo to any gratuitous degree, even though most of us would agree that Killzone exists to combat Halo's prominence). I think Forza would fit the same description, as that series obviously exists to soften the blow that Gran Turismo brings. But other games, like Gameloft titles, are viewed as so close to the original that some people are put off by the how similar the games are.

The question, then, is where this game lies along that spectrum.

I think you bring up a valid point. A shared Genre like KillZone and Halo does not mean copied etc.

I see something like the first person Shooting in this game and I cant hep but feel like they basically just ripped the code off a Wii disc and placed some sony code into it.
To me personally the character library of Sony lends itself to a more serious style game than Smash Bros but I cant blame them for seeing the sales Nintendo gets and being jealous. I just dont think Sony has a chance to replicate that success because the library of characters just isnt there

Well as someone noted earlier in this thread, I don't see why the gameplay style of Smash Bros. can't be elevated onto a genre of fighting/party games of its own. I'd love to see plenty of games with large casts of characters or historic franchises with a Smash Bros. style template.

At some point, the idea of a first-person view of a guy holding a gun as a game wasn't widespread - is every FPS a shameless ripoff? The way I see it, Nintendo/Sakurai got the formula for how to make games like this work well - I don't see what's so wrong about others working around his layout.

It's different to me from something like Gameloft's shameless copies.

Exactly. Nintendo redefined a genre and people are now taking the cues from that template.

It's like Call of Duty 4's multiplayer tropes that bled into every single game. Why are people so anal about Sony using the same mechanics when every shoter in existence today uses COD4's tropes? Nobody seems to care about that anymore.

Opiate

Then there would be only 5 or 6 Real Games and everything else would be a copy of it

Draw the Line?... Have you seen how many shitty FPS's have popped up just do to Call of Duty and the cash cow it is, and try to copy the formula

Unless Sony went and copy/pasted Nintendo code, they're allowed to do this, it is not hurting anyone in the industry
Nintendo might make the next SSB really ridiculous just to crush the competition, show Sony why they are always contenders, not pretenders

Nintendo can get back at them with next title, and sell millions in a month, which might take a Sony title close to a year to sell

I'm happy I get to enjoy a SSB kind of game on preferred platform, which at the moment is the PS3

So are you also not offended by Gameloft? That's an honest question. I agree, but my general sense, again, was that Gameloft was reviled on GAF, specifically because of their obvious mimicry.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413907&highlight=gameloft
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421051&highlight=gameloft

As examples.

SSReborn

So far from the Video:

Sweet Tooth
Radec
Kratos
Parappa
Fat Princess
Sly Cooper

Background Characters = Patapon Crew, Hades (affects Stage), Qwark, Hydra

Each character has 3 levels of Super

Seeing as Paul Gale said that all those people would be in it before this came out I think its safe to assume he was right about Jak & Daxter and Drake as well

Actually he was right about a bunch of things even the Supers that Kratos and Sweet Tooth did

Tthe thing that makes Smash really great is that the characters have HUGE history to draw inspiration from. A game like this with NEW characters doesn't have the same appeal.

For a new person however, this could be a minus, but only for a short while. Smash basically works as a fun introduction to fleshed-out characters that all come from games worth playing, with worlds, music, and lore worth exploring.

If you're not familiar with the games, you could play demos of their games in the Wii Smash (which was a very nice idea), and read up on their history in the collections / gallery area.

Hopefully, this game does some of the same things. I'd easily agree that the characters are not as awesome as Nintendo's and Sega's long-living characters, but there's something here for everyone, which is pretty nice. Even from just the current cast, some character is from a game that you'd fall for.

I'll probably pick up the game anyway, could tide me over until Smash Wii U/3DS. The last game I really played on my PS3 was Yakuza 4 and that was maybe a month or two after it came out. I really haven't touched it since then.

AT 16:30
Elaine Marley from Monkey Island!?!?!?!?!?!
8nG3c.png

????????

Lich_King

There needs to be more games like SSB, and fewer generic space/modern FPSs. I don't see how anyone can be angry at this. Blizzard make next one please. Valve please make Super Dota Bros.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't fault Sony for copying something popular, but it seems crazy that a straight up clone like this was apparently in development for several years.

This is the type of "reactionary" game that you'd expect to be outsourced to some no-name developer and rushed out within a year or two (ie Kung Fu Chaos on the original Xbox).

Naaa. It takes a lot of work to copy Smash right. "reactionary" games fail at it because they don't have the focused development of Smash, which triumphs because everything about it is so well refined.

And... I actually really like Kung Fu Chaos. The Movie set idea was really well integrated into every aspect of it, and it was overall just a fun game. It actually felt much more like it's own game, than just a desperate SMASH clone. Wish there was something else like it -_-;

So are you also not offended by Gameloft? That's an honest question. I agree, but my general sense, again, was that Gameloft was reviled on GAF, specifically because of their obvious mimicry.

As examples.

Gameloft is reviled yes, but they are of utter insignificance on consoles. That's why Nintendo, Sony and MS probably don't give a damn. They aren't cutting into their own profits so why bother....

As examples.

You can compare Gameloft's blatant copies to this game? There are a ton of fighting games out there, that have mimicked the flat 2D combat of previous fighting games. So is this 2.5D view off limits?

I agree however, there is a fine line all creators must walk -- but I'm not sure this game crosses it.

Sandfox

I'd defend Sony here using the exact same rationale I used to defend Gameloft: Sony is filling a market inefficiency that Nintendo refuses to alleviate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25997997&postcount=322

If Nintendo would release Smash Brothers on the PS3, then this game likely wouldn't exist. If they continue to refuse to do so, then it is perfectly reasonable for Sony to try and fill the void on the platform.

You aren't exactly wrong but that's a horrible argument.

Radec

As a Nintendo fan, this literally makes me sick. SSB is a staple of Nintendo, and it's not right for another company to basically copy and paste the game and call it their own. Hopefully Nintendo will sue or something, because this is so wrong.

Holy Fuck!

:LOL

I'd defend Sony here using the exact same rationale I used to defend Gameloft: Sony is filling a market inefficiency that Nintendo refuses to alleviate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25997997&postcount=322

If Nintendo would release Smash Brothers on the PS3, then this game likely wouldn't exist. If they continue to refuse to do so, then it is perfectly reasonable for Sony to try and fill the void on the platform.

Indeed. This game might even make more people interested for the 3DS/WiiU Smash games, if the genre gets more into the spotlight because other devs are taking a crack at it.

Kujo

Regarding Gameloft:

PS All-Stars is Sony characters, in Sony levels, with Nintendo's game mechanics.

A Gameloft clone would be Nintendo-like characters, in Nintendo-like levels, with Nintendo's game mechanics.

Though I do like some of Gameloft's mobile games, but I think what sets them apart in a scenario like this is they sorta clone game assets as well

ReaperXL7

This is fantastic, it will be nice to finally get a game like this with some good characters, and a solid online functionality for a change. Can't wait till it releases.

Really looking forward to seeing what other first party titles Sony will incorporate, not to mention the 3rd party potential.

Akainu

I didn't like any of that. People keep saying that it's nothing like smash because you don't kill people by knocking them off the screen but even the way people are being tossed around is reminiscence of smash bros.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Same here man. There was a "What if Sony made a mascot game like Smash" thread on gaf, about 3 of them actually. A lot of people were interested in it just for the characters, and some didn't think they had enough characters to fill up a roster (pft).

I also grew up on nintendo and didn't know a lot of the smash characters (snow dudes, guy with wings.. Cupid, etc.), then I moved to PS1 when it came out and liked their games (3d polygon gaming!).

I'm going to eat this game up and live online with it. I play the crap out of UMVC3 online now, I'm ready to transition to this. I hope it's very fun and interesting. Fast load times please, UMVC3 has very fast loading, and rematch.

Give me a Vita version, and I'll double dip like mad. The thought of playing this on the bus to work has me giddy. Even so, I'll play the hell out of the PS3 version for sure. My nostalgia sense is already tingling.

SSB Melee was amazing. This really does look to capture that feeling of frantic fun with some of your favorite characters. This'll be an awesome party game when friends come over, just like SSB is.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'll probably pick up the game anyway, could tide me over until Smash Wii U/3DS. The last game I really played on my PS3 was Yakuza 4 and that was maybe a month or two after it came out. I really haven't touched it since then.

I haven't touched one at all, since I don't even have a PS3, lol. But I'm the opposite of you, as the old franchises are what help me care. Smash itself was enough reason for me to fall for the Wii harder than I ever have since then, A Smash-a-Like with so many beloved characters is worth picking up a black-friday PS3 sale, especially if the system gets some price drops before then, lol.

It's nice to have something like SSB, that's not it. I'd love to have more games that are like Secrets of Mana, but much like Smash before now, if it's not THAT series... it's probably not that game style. Yay for clones of under-utilized genre/game types!

I wonder if characters from Wild Arms, Dark Cloud, or Rogue Galaxy have a chance of getting in.

That would exceed my expectations! Man, any excuse to have Wild Arms music in the game would be glorious.

They'd fit in well to take the "Marth / Link / Roy" RPG spot that smash has... of course, they could just troll us, and toss in the Beyond the Beyond characters instead...

Opiate

Seriously? You can compare Gameloft's blatant copies to this game? There are a ton of fighting games out there, that have mimicked the flat 2D combat of previous fighting games. So is this 2.5D view off limits?

I'm not sure you're following me here: this is a broader discussion not specifically tied to this game. The point I'm making is this: many people are often offended by "blatant copies," as you put it. Like Gameloft games. People are modestly upset when games are somewhat unique but still borrow very heavily from others, like Dante's Inferno clearly did from God of War -- it wasn't quite as blatant as Gameloft titles are, but the influence was still very explicit and obvious. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have games like Killzone which, again, clearly sprung in to existence because of Halo, and shared a general "sci fi FPS" vibe with Halo, but was more than enough its own game that no one reasonably complained about the similarities.

In other words, there are degrees of mimicry. If you're asking why anyone would ever be put off by mimicry, the answer would be, "because sometimes it's very blatant and extreme." Whether this game happens to fit that description is another matter -- I don't think we know yet -- and isn't really my central point.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
There needs to be more games like SSB, and fewer generic space/modern FPSs. I don't see how anyone can be angry at this. Blizzard make next one please. Valve please make Super Dota Bros.

Who's angry other than that one schmuck already banned? I guess I don't get the problem with acknowledging this is SSB with Sony characters. The bigger issue is the extremely small people looking for slight differences and saying that this isn't the same thing, as if that's an insult. C'mon people. This can be a clone AND be awesome at the same time.

As examples.

The thing about Gameloft is they're calling their games "Call of Shmuty" or "Brosassin's Creed" or whatever, basically. The characters, the style, the everything is an obvious ripoff of an exact game.

If Sony titled this game Sony Smash Bros., had an eerily similar main icon that looked like the Smash symbol, had percentages and stages that looked exactly like stages from Smash Bros. and called one of the stages Final Shmestination, yeah, I'd probably hold them in the same contempt as Gameloft. If it was all new characters, and one of them was a German plumber in purple overalls that ate a flower and gained super powers, yeah, I'd be a little worried. But they have their own characters and own level designs, inspired by Smash and not directly lifted from it.

The closest degree of "copying" from the show was Radec's lvl 3 super, but honestly that makes sense in context. Radec is a representative from an FPS, why wouldn't you give him a first-person ultimate move?

I think that's where I personally draw the line between imitation and plagiarism in terms of games. A game that uses other games from the same genre as inspiration is different from making the exact same game that was already made, just with a few names and assets changed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's a given, they'll unveil more characters at E3.

The three layered super thing sounds pretty rad and ambitious.

It sounds pretty cool, but I don't see how it's particularly ambitious.

I didn't like any of that. People keep saying that it's nothing like smash because you don't kill people by knocking them off the screen but even the way people are being tossed around is reminiscence of smash bros.

Eh? So what. If they did a 3D fighting game it would be copying PowerStone or Ehrgeiz, if they did a 2D fighting game it'd be copying MvC, SxT ect. ect. There's been much fewer 2.5D fighting games then 3D/2D.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm not sure you're following me here: this is a broader discussion not specifically tied to this game. The point I'm making is this: many people are often offended by "blatant copies," as you put it. Like Gameloft games. People are modestly upset when games are somewhat unique but still borrow very heavily from others, like Dante's Inferno clearly did from God of War -- it wasn't quite as blatant as Gameloft titles are, but it the influence was still very explicit and obvious. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, you have games like Killzone which, again, clearly sprung in to existence because of Halo, and shared a general "sci fi FPS" vibe with Halo, but was more than enough its own game that no one reasonably complained about the similarities.

In other words, there are degrees of mimicry. If you're asking why anyone would ever be put off by mimicry, the answer would be, "because sometimes it's very blatant and extreme." Whether this game happens to fit that description is another matter -- I don't think we know yet -- and isn't really my central point.

All due respect, but I think this is a long way of saying "this looks exactly like Super Smash Brothers and there's nothing wrong with it." I just wish more people would actually say it.

There's a difference between inspiration, cloning, copying, and cheap knock-offs. Nobody is accusing this of being the latter.

Top Bottom