• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Exclusive Revealed Next Week On GTTV (Superbot's PS All-Stars)

Busaiku

Eh? So what. If they did a 3D fighting game it would be copying PowerStone or Ehrgeiz, if they did a 2D fighting game it'd be copying MvC, SxT ect. ect. There's been much fewer 2.5D fighting games then 3D/2D.

Marvel vs Capcom doesn't look Street Fighter X Tekken or Capcom vs SNK or The King of Fighters, and so on.

This however, looks very much like Super Smash Bros.

Opiate

The thing about Gameloft is they're calling their games "Call of Shmuty" or "Brosassin's Creed" or whatever, basically. The characters, the style, the everything is an obvious ripoff of an exact game.

If Sony titled this game Sony Smash Bros., had an eerily similar main icon that looked like the Smash symbol, had percentages and stages that looked exactly like stages from Smash Bros. and called one of the stages Final Shmestination, yeah, I'd probably hold them in the same contempt as Gameloft. If it was all new characters, and one of them was a German plumber in purple overalls that ate a flower and gained super powers, yeah, I'd be a little worried. But they have their own characters and own level designs, inspired by Smash and not directly lifted from it.

The closest degree of "copying" from the show was Radec's lvl 3 super, but honestly that makes sense in context. Radec is a representative from an FPS, why wouldn't you give him a first-person ultimate move?

I think that's where I personally draw the line between imitation and plagiarism in terms of games. A game that uses other games from the same genre as inspiration is different from making the exact same game that was already made, just with a few names and assets changed.

This all seems reasonable to me. Furthermore, we don't really know yet to what degree this game apes Super Smash Brothers.

Marvel vs Capcom doesn't look Street Fighter X Tekken or Capcom vs SNK or The King of Fighters, and so on.

This however, looks very much like Super Smash Bros.

What? Yes they do.

Oh well, this debate will rage on for a while I believe. Hopefully it's playable at E3!

I see. Conceptually, I agree.
Yea, graphically it's not that exciting. But since they are a new developer I'll give them the benefit of my lack of knowledge. But, it seems they are still hiring folks (seems like they need heavy UI artists) and they are relatively close to SSM and have been getting some support -- so it could come together.

How do we defeat the characters? Do the just die or will there be some kind of system to knock them off the stage?

Also Nintendo fans
Mario golf=hot shots golf
It really doesn't matter if companies are bow wowing ideas from each other.

Natiko

Banned
If you're going to shamelessly crib from other games you could at least do so from something better than a franchise that last put out Brawl. Who knows though, maybe this won't make those same mistakes.
It probably will.

Satch

Banned
If you're going to shamelessly crib from other games you could at least do so from something better than a franchise that last put out Brawl. Who knows though, maybe this won't make those same mistakes.
It probably will.

Tripping, fuck yeah.

Akainu

Eh? So what. If they did a 3D fighting game it would be copying PowerStone or Ehrgeiz, if they did a 2D fighting game it'd be copying MvC, SxT ect. ect. There's been much fewer 2.5D fighting games then 3D/2D.
Because I don't really care for smash bros. And something that looks just like it isn't hype worthy to me.

Busaiku

And there's nothing wrong with that. Squint your eyes and you can't tell a difference.

I'm not saying it'll be bad because it looks similar, I just think it does.
Whether it'll be good or not, nobody can say.

TMNT Smash Up was also very similar, but I can't really think of anything else.

This all seems reasonable to me. Furthermore, we don't really know yet to what degree this game apes Super Smash Brothers.

Exactly, that's why I'm waiting for more gameplay information. Are special moves going to be Hadoken/SRK inputs? Or will there be a special move button? Is it one button for all attacks, or are their low, high, etc.? Punches vs. kicks? What kind of combo potential will there be? I think those things will really determine just how much this is copying Smash Bros, so to speak.

Lich_King

Who's angry other than that one schmuck already banned? I guess I don't get the problem with acknowledging this is SSB with Sony characters. The bigger issue is the extremely small people looking for slight differences and saying that this isn't the same thing, as if that's an insult. C'mon people. This can be a clone AND be awesome at the same time.

One here, but many more in other places. I completely agree though about it being same thing, but I always thought there needs to be more games like that in popular franchises. For example, there is vote-based fight-off going on reddit about Mass Effect characters: http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/shz0v/grand_mass_effect_squad_tournament_directory/

I'm sure everyone over there would play Bioware's SSB rip-off gladly. Instead, we'll probably get f2p browser tie-in game down the road, or maybe FPS spin-off, which will probably also be clones of something out there, but no one will care because there are just so many of those types of games, most of which don't even make it out of their developers' countries or specific neglected platforms.

Zen

Banned
Hm, so far it looks decent (if a bit washed out but that might be the stream). The Dreamscape stage looks fantastic and actually made me smile as I was watching it.

Two criticisms I have, but I could easily be wrong:

1) The use of a lifebar/hitpoints for the characters. This might just be me, but the way that Smash Brothers defined the genre (yes Genre, don't pretend like there hasn't been more than one game that is obviously aping Smash Brothers) by using the percentage/bounce height system has yet to be topped. Such a system, that modifies in game variables, is highly addictive and dynamic over just having a health bar.

Though the use of health bars might make this slightly more of a 'fighter' since players probably won't be able to abuse bounce heights and the like.

2) Outlines - Instead of having to resort to this, more careful attention should be paid to color balancing. Something to hope for with All Stars 2 whenever that comes out.

I'm hyped for this game, to be sure, and their own spin on the Genre might just end up being great, rather than merely good.

rdrr gnr

Actually, they look great.
No. They don't. They look forced. The combinations make no sense on an aesthetic level. Patapon plus the Hydra from God of War (or whatever the combination was) -- it looked hideous. Character models aside -- the overall art-style looks incredibly lackluster and nonsensical.

demolitio

It probably will.

Man, you're better than Pachter in your analytical skills. To discern all the information you needed to make that statement from a small amount of gameplay is quite impressive.

People can't wait more than 30 seconds to write a game off and know everything about it. We don't have to go to the extremes yet, but people do so right away.

Hm, so far it looks decent (if a bit washed out but that might be the stream). The Dreamscape stage looks fantastic and actually made me smile as I was watching it.

Two criticisms I have, but I could easily be wrong:

1) The use of a lifebar/hitpoints for the characters. This might just be me, but the way that Smash Brothers defined the genre (yes Genre, don't pretend like there hasn't been more than one game that is obviously aping Smash Brothers) by using the percentage/bounce height system has yet to be topped. Such a system, that modifies in game variables, is highly addictive and dynamic over just having a health bar.

Though the use of health bars might make this slightly more of a 'fighter' since players probably won't be able to abuse bounce heights and the like.

2) Outlines - Instead of having to resort to this, more careful attention should be paid to color balancing. Something to hope for with All Stars 2 whenever that comes out.

I'm hyped for this game, to be sure, and their own spin on the Genre might just end up being great, rather than merely good.

Never stress about UI this early. Especially a new studio and especially if they are looking for UI designers. It will all change 100%, if it will be completely different however is yet to be seen.

This health bar stuff will take away all cloneness of Super Smash Bros. hopefully this is fixed, and make it percentages and make it awesome

Natiko

Banned
Man, you're better than Pachter in your analytical skills. To discern all the information you needed to make that statement from a small amount of gameplay is quite impressive.

So what are you arguing that A) it isn't clearly copying SSB or B) that copying a bad game can't possibly result in a bad game?

cajunator

Banned
Updated:

- Smash bros gameplay confirmed
- 3 layers of super for each character
- Looks like life bars instead of numbers
- Hades stage (hades doing things during the fight)
- Buzz stage (get quizzed DURING the fight)
- LBP stage (starts off empty, stage builds as you play)
- Sandover Village stage
- Ratchet and Clank stage with Hydra from GoW
- Patapons doing things to Hades, combining characters for stages
- fat princess
- sly (can turn invisible cuz he stealthy)
- kratos
- Sweet Tooth
- Radec
- Parappa

Ill end up buying this just so I can beat the shit out of Kratos with various characters.
Plus I like me some Smash Bros.

No. They don't. They look forced. The combinations make no sense on an aesthetic level. Patapon plus the Hydra from God of War (or whatever the combination was) -- it looked hideous. Character models aside -- the overall art-style looks incredibly lackluster and nonsensical.

You're ALWAYS going to have clashing in this sort of game, even Smash Bros does. The main issue is how hazy the stages look and how muted the colors are. Amplified by the fact that the characters have highlighted auras around them and look significantly sharper than the backgrounds.

This health bar stuff will take away all cloneness of Super Smash Bros. hopefully this is fixed, and make it percentages and make it awesome

They aren't even health bars, they're increasing. They have to be super meters. I don't understand how damage works from this footage.

Everytime there is a big reveal there always has to be criticisms if you don't have anything intelligent to say then don't say anything at all.

AAK

Onimusha Blade Warriors:

51692adb9459_m9qdq8.jpg

Nintendo needs to take note of the Hybrid worlds.

That was my thoughts exactly, I have to say it's a really cool thing to see as you, surprisingly, don't really see it in a lot of crossover fighters.

Aside form the initial "Wow, yep, this game was definitely inspired by Smash all right" reaction. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this game could do. Yeah there have been a few Smash clones already, but as mentioned earlier, this is the first ambitious 1st party Smash clone that might not be just a cheap licensing rip off like Digimon Rumble Arena (which I enjoyed playing) or that Cartoon Network title.

Zen

Banned

Everything that I can think of off the top of my head

Jump SuperStars
Jump Ultimate Stars
DreamMix TV World Fighters
TNMT Smash Up
Playstation Allstars
Naruto (the game eludes me at the moment)
Onimusha Blade Warriors

demolitio

So what are you arguing that A) it isn't clearly copying SSB or B) that copying a bad game can't possibly result in a bad game?

I'm not arguing either of those. I'm saying it's a little early to write a game off either way. Once again, taken to the extreme as if I said it's already an awesome game when I said it's a little early to say it won't do anything better than shamelessly copy off of SSB.

It can join the genre without being a carbon clone. I think they can manage to pull off something more unique than the TMNT fighting game...

All I'm saying is it's extremely early for everyone to write a game off and this place turns into those statements every single time a game is revealed. We don't have to draw lines and pick our sides.

Natiko

Banned
I'm not arguing either of those. I'm saying it's a little early to write a game off either way. Once again, taken to the extreme as if I said it's already an awesome game when I said it's a little early to say it won't do anything better than shamelessly copy off of SSB.

It can join the genre without being a carbon clone. I think they can manage to pull off something more unique than the TMNT fighting game...

All I'm saying is it's extremely early for everyone to write a game off and this place turns into those statements every single time a game is revealed. We don't have to draw lines and pick our sides.

Keep in mind I did say probably and further went on to say that at the very least they presumably wouldn't include anything as asinine as tripping. I'm just not particularly impressed by what we have seen, and I feel that copying from a franchise that has seen better days might not be the best plan. I'd rather be skeptical and end up pleasantly surprised than expecting more and ending up disappointed.

ReaperXL7

From PS Blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1bQSw7FOUQ

Damn it look even more awesome!

Game looks damn fun, so many character possibilities with this game. I might have to go to sleep on it for awhile, because playing the guessing game with this roster is going to drive me nuts.

The potential for the music, the stage combinations, the boss fights, online functionality, and a bunch of other stuff could make this a really great game. Cant wait to see more, which I will assume will be at E3.

Announce this for Vita Sony!

ReaperXL7

Ok seriously, now that the PS blog, GTTV, and IGN all have their coverage up we need a single thread....I'll make it if no one else is, but I don't want to start on it if someone is already working on it.

bon

Even if you're a big Sony fan you have to admit the roster is pretty underwhelming so far. Sweet Tooth vs Fat Princess? Who cares? I like Parappa but he hasn't had a game in ten years.

Smash Bros has smaller characters like Olimar and the Ice Climbers, but the poster boys are always heavy hitters like Mario, Link, Kirby, etc. Widely beloved characters with rich history.
For the debut of this game Sony decided to show off... some guy from Killzone?

Loudninja

Even if you're a big Sony fan you have to admit the roster is pretty underwhelming so far. Sweet Tooth vs Fat Princess? Who cares? I like Parappa but he hasn't had a game in ten years.

Smash Bros has smaller characters like Olimar and the Ice Climbers, but the poster boys are always heavy hitters like Mario, Link, Kirby, etc. Widely beloved characters with rich history.
I dont have to admit a damn thing.

Kyon

Banned

hilarious, keep it coming guys

SmithnCo

Let's not pretend like they're not going to show some big names at E3.

The characters so far are fine for revealing the game but bigger characters are being saved to keep the hype rolling, no doubt.

Top Bottom