• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

ZeroGravity

I really hope Yzerman can pick up a legitimate D-man or two in the off season. I have no doubt he'll trade for a decent goaltender, but fixing the D is going to be the harder issue to address, especially with the options out there. It was just embarrassingly bad this year.

Nice tribute for Stamkos' 60 goals from the Tampa Tribune today:

VLycs.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That's awesome. Stamkos is like Datsyuk, they're both so good and such great guys I don't know anyone that dislikes them. Lightning's D did look pretty awful last week, this UFA group this year is garbage though. The only players I would be interested in are the obvious Parise, Suter, and Parenteau 67 points for under $2M, definitely getting a nice raise this year. We need some good wingers for Plekanec. I can't wait to see who grabs Malcom Subban too.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I still need to do research on who the Leafs could potentially draft.

As of now hoping for Galchenyuk.

Personally, I want Forsberg since I hear he is the most NHL ready. Though I would laugh my ass off if we somehow got Yakupov.

Also, I'm not sure Columbus needs another star winger. You should always get the best centre, D, or goalie IMO. When was the last time a winger prospect led a team to the cup?

Red_Man

Personally, I want Forsberg since I hear he is the most NHL ready. Though I would laugh my ass off if we somehow got Yakupov.

Also, I'm not sure Columbus needs another star winger. You should always get the best centre, D, or goalie IMO. When was the last time a winger prospect led a team to the cup?
Forsberg is also the youngest in the draft, I think he still spends another year or two in minor leagues, also Yakupov is so far a head of the rest of the draft, Columbus can't not take him.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Forsberg is also the youngest in the draft, I think he still spends another year or two in minor leagues, also Yakupov is so far a head of the rest of the draft, Columbus can't not take him.

Ehhh they may end up with a bunch of elite blue chip wingers with nobody passing the puck to them like Edm. At this point I would've taken seguin over hall.

Look at Caps with Lolvechkin. I would say he is the biggest winger to come out of the draft in a long time. Decent team except for goaltending and how far have they gotten?

Then you look at Pits loaded up the middle. Look at Carolina with Staal. look at Anaheim with baldy. Look at Philly days with Carter and Richards.

Nash will likely be gone so maybe trade him and their first to one of the top five for their pick and top six forwards, defense, prospects. If Nash with a Richard year can't help them, I'm not convinced Yakupov can either.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's awesome. Stamkos is like Datsyuk, they're both so good and such great guys I don't know anyone that dislikes them. Lightning's D did look pretty awful last week, this UFA group this year is garbage though. The only players I would be interested in are the obvious Parise, Suter, and Parenteau 67 points for under $2M, definitely getting a nice raise this year. We need some good wingers for Plekanec. I can't wait to see who grabs Malcom Subban too.

Can't Montreal go for Subban? Or is he going to start as a main goalie?

Solo

I would resign from being a hockey fan, buy a shotgun and shoot myself in the anus if the Habs used their first round pick on a goalie.

Subban will go ~20th overall.

Solo

I was thinking maybe Tampa. But yeah, it will be the team in the 17-25 pick range in dire need of a goalie.

Red_Man

Ehhh they may end up with a bunch of elite blue chip wingers with nobody passing the puck to them like Edm. At this point I would've taken seguin over hall.

Look at Caps with Lolvechkin. I would say he is the biggest winger to come out of the draft in a long time. Decent team except for goaltending and how far have they gotten?

Then you look at Pits loaded up the middle. Look at Carolina with Staal. look at Anaheim with baldy. Look at Philly days with Carter and Richards.

Nash will likely be gone so maybe trade him and their first to one of the top five for their pick and top six forwards, defense, prospects. If Nash with a Richard year can't help them, I'm not convinced Yakupov can either.
With hindsight yea Malkin would be a better pick then Ovechkin, but at this point in the draft, Yakupov is so far ahead of the rest you would need a brain tumor to not pick him, you can't use Malkin / Ovechkin as an excuse to not pick him, especially with some of the question marks around Grigorenko. There's no chance in hell Columbus doesn't grab Yakupov.

He will be a late first rounder, and we need a forward more then a goalie obviously right now.

Red_Man

Markov was asked about Subban's season today and just replied with "No comment", that's not good news we don't need 2 of our most important D going at it, and if Markov is getting upset cause Subban is our #1 D at this point, then he needs to figure his shit out.

CCF23

I was just thinking again about how amazing it is that the biggest franchise in pro hockey also has the longest playoff drought in the league. It's really mind boggling. Players want to play there. It's not like Edmonton or Columbus or New Jersey or some dump players don't want to go to. We're talking about one of, if not the biggest hockey mecca in the world and they have a longer playoff drought than teams like Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise.

The even sadder thing is it feels like they're only starting to move in the right direction, too. It's been 7? 8 years? and they've pissed so many of those years away without fixing things. They haven't even needed to fix it to the point of being a top seed, just fix it to the point where your team isn't fucking broken. You have the money, you have a city players want to be in...What the fuck is the problem?

Montresor

I was just thinking again about how amazing it is that the biggest franchise in pro hockey also has the longest playoff drought in the league. It's really mind boggling. Players want to play there. It's not like Edmonton or Columbus or New Jersey or some dump players don't want to go to. We're talking about one of, if not the biggest hockey mecca in the world and they have a longer playoff drought than teams like Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, the Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise.

The even sadder thing is it feels like they're only starting to move in the right direction, too. It's been 7? 8 years? and they've pissed so many of those years away without fixing things. They haven't even needed to fix it to the point of being a top seed, just fix it to the point where your team isn't fucking broken. You have the money, you have a city players want to be in...What the fuck is the problem?

Who says players want to play in Toronto? You think Suter or Parise will touch the Leafs this off-season? Guys like Connolly and Armstrong want to play here...

CCF23

Who says players want to play in Toronto? You think Suter or Parise will touch the Leafs this off-season? Guys like Connolly and Armstrong want to play here...

Compared to places that have trouble drawing talent like the cities I listed? Or even compared to a place like Vancouver? The only reason the Canucks can draw talent right now is because they're a winning team.

There are also a ton of Ontario born NHLers in the league. You have to think a ton of them grew up Leaf fans.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Compared to places that have trouble drawing talent like the cities I listed? Or even compared to a place like Vancouver? The only reason the Canucks can draw talent right now is because they're a winning team.

There are also a ton of Ontario born NHLers in the league. You have to think a ton of them grew up Leaf fans.

Don Cherry would like to have a word with you.

Have you seen their draft record over the last 10+ years? Have you seen the boneheaded trades ?
Now that there's a salary cap you can't just buy a contending team.
I'd say it's the same problem in Toronto as Calgary. Impatient ownership unwilling to do what needs to be done and instead get their GMs to polish a turd every summer and sell false hope to the fans.

CCF23

Have you seen their draft record over the last 10+ years? Have you seen the boneheaded trades ?
Now that there's a salary cap you can't just buy a contending team.
I'd say it's the same problem in Toronto as Calgary. Impatient ownership unwilling to do what needs to be done and instead get their GMs to polish a turd every summer and sell false hope to the fans.

I agree, I'm just saying it's shocking they haven't even been able to fix it enough to get the 8th seed somewhere along the line. The comparisons to Calgary are pretty bang on, but I'd figure it'd be much easier to draw players to Toronto than it is/would be to draw players to Calgary. I just don't really understand. Burke gets so much praise for what he did in Anaheim, but the groundwork of that team was already there. Credit is deserved for him bringing it all together, but his time in Vancouver and Toronto leaves so much to be desired, especially when it comes to the goaltending woes. I'm pretty sure Giguere was already in Anaheim when Burke got there? In Vancouver we suffered in net every season while Burke was here and it seems the same old story in Toronto.

Red_Man

There's a rumor Burke is considering moving the leafs 5th pick in a package for Nash, I wouldn't be surprised.

edit : The more I read up on the Galchenyuk, the more I start to lean towards him over Grigorenko, he's still a big center with a ton of skill, but a big difference apparently is Galchenyuk is really known for his work ethic on the ice and off, and Grigorenko has been called out as a perimeter player and sometimes lazy. Can't wait for tomorrow anyways.

Quick

Banned
There's a rumor Burke is considering moving the leafs 5th pick in a package for Nash, I wouldn't be surprised.

edit : The more I read up on the Galchenyuk, the more I start to lean towards him over Grigorenko, he's still a big center with a ton of skill, but a big difference apparently is Galchenyuk is really known for his work ethic on the ice and off, and Grigorenko has been called out as a perimeter player and sometimes lazy. Can't wait for tomorrow anyways.

If he's seriously going after Nash, I hope we don't give up too much. At this point, I really hope he learned his lesson about this kind of stuff. Media and fans eat it up and consider it a done deal. When Burke can't do it, pitchforks get sharpened.

Tanenbaum also wrote an open letter for the fans. I'm still pissed at how it all went downhill for the team after such a promising first half. A letter isn't going to cut it, but I'm glad Tanenbaum is directly addressing it.

leafsopenletter_040912.jpg

Red_Man

That is a nice gesture, and I honestly wouldn't think the Leafs would make the playoffs next year either, but now that Carlyle is in town I won't be surprised if they do. The speech he gave and the reputation he has as a coach is exactly what Toronto players need, and if he can break them down then I'll be worried for next year. Personally I wouldn't give up a top 5 pick in a package for Nash, but I'm not a huge Nash fan to being with.

Quick

Banned
That is a nice gesture, and I honestly wouldn't think the Leafs would make the playoffs next year either, but now that Carlyle is in town I won't be surprised if they do. The speech he gave and the reputation he has as a coach is exactly what Toronto players need, and if he can break them down then I'll be worried for next year. Personally I wouldn't give up a top 5 pick in a package for Nash, but I'm not a huge Nash fan to being with.

Agreed. I'm not so high on Nash either, and I'd rather not lose the pick, unless Burke can move the team up a spot or two with it in the draft.

I'm still not completely sold on Carlyle, only because I thought his hiring was too late, but I like what he's doing so far. Line matching, using players properly in various situations, and just being honest about the situation. I want to see what he can do with a Leafs team built around what he and Burke mold.

On the subject of coaching: what's Cunneyworth's chances of getting another head coaching gig by next season? I feel like his brief stint as head coach in Montreal might be taint on his resume, but I don't think it's enough to judge him.

Red_Man

Cunneyworth will have a NHL job, how soon it is I have no idea, just because I don't know what team's are considering changing coaches, but I would think he would be a top possibility for new teams. He didn't have a great technical record with Montreal, but he was handed a bag of shit and made noticeable changes, particularly the team getting a lot more gritty and rough, and not taking shit from people anymore. I hope he stays with Montreal as an assistant coach, he's pure class, and is good in the room with the guys on the ice.

Red_Man

Here's an article on Galchenyuk from a guy at Future Considerations, he says he believes Galchenyuk has the highest upside compared to Grigorenko, Dumba, and that out of the bottoms teams he would best fit on Montreal and Toronto.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/4/9/2936040/alex-galchenyuk-edmonton-oilers-first-round-pick

I could see Timmins picking him over Grigorenko, Timmins always goes for hardworking attitude guys, and that's exactly what Galchenyuk seems to be.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure a lot of players want to be under the kind of spotlight here in TO. Media and fans here tend to tear the team apart.

Example is Phaneuf and captain issues. Not sure if another player could've done a better job and I'm not sure a great captain and not player could've saved us.

As for Carlyle well...we'll see next season if this all pays off since it seems our pick won't be in the line up next season.

Red_Man

Today's the day boys, I wish the worst of luck to the Leafs ;) and hopefully the hockey gods smile down on Montreal and boost us to #1 to help make up for the season from Hell.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Today's the day boys, I wish the worst of luck to the Leafs ;) and hopefully the hockey gods smile down on Montreal and boost us to #1 to help make up for the season from Hell.
With the first pick of the 2012 NHL draft the Montreal Canadiens choose....
Malcom Subban!

Solo

If we land #1 pick tonight, Yakupov will have to switch jersey numbers. He's great, but #10 belongs to Flower.

Galch or Grigs can keep their junior numbers on the Habs, however.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

If the Habs get the number 1 pick I got my speech all lined up, a sample from the great Silky Johnson:

I hate you. I hate you. I don't even know you, and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else but you.

Not that I expect it but if the Leafs got the #1 pick I will probably explode in my pants. Heck I'll do the same if we move up from 5.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
burke just stated he's not trading the first round pick

thank the heavenssssss

and basically burned phaneuf. lol

thabiz

The problem is the city. Nobody wants to play here because of the media. Same situation as MTL. The pressure to perform is incredible in these two cities.

Solo

Sad but true. The last time top end talent WANTED to come to Montreal was 20 years ago in the early 90's. Now we either have to draft/develop that talent ourselves or grossly overpay in free agency to get it.

DopeyFish

you need consistent success then free agents will want to come to montreal and toronto

otherwise they can't handle the heat

just look at how much the toronto media is crushing the leafs right now... it's the worst i've seen in many years

and as arrogant as burke is, he is right

"why should i trade macarthur for a late first round pick and make the fans wait 3 years for a player that might not actually make the NHL?"

"why should i trade a 2nd for a player that may walk at the end of the year?"

Solo

It's just frustrating to know that the Parise's and Suter's won't even consider Montreal. 24 Stanley Cups and yet, because of the media culture, we're viewed like lepers by talent.

DopeyFish

hahahaha burke is going off on pittsburgh and the lottery hahaha

reporter: "what about the pittsburgh model"
burke: "what pittsburgh model?"
reporter: "years of failure, drafting high"
burke: "they got the best player in the game- won a god damn lottery, pittsburgh model my ass"

Marvie_3

Banned
It's just frustrating to know that the Parise's and Suter's won't even consider Montreal. 24 Stanley Cups and yet, because of the media culture, we're viewed like lepers by talent.
Free agency is kind of a "what have you done lately?" thing. Chicago used to be the same way until they started winning again. Great city, Original 6, and still nobody wanted to play there.

Solo

Free agency is kind of a "what have you done lately?" thing. Chicago used to be the same way until they started winning again. Great city, Original 6, and still nobody wanted to play there.

It sucks, bro :_(

Anyways, Habs pick either 1st, 3rd or 4th. Even if the worse case scenario occurs and we pick 4th, it will still be our highest pick since 1980, lolz (Carey Price was #5 in 2005). 32 years without a top 4 pick. Goddamn.

Montresor

I disagree.

First of all, if a player doesn't want to play for a team as historic and prestigious as the Habs because of the media, then that's someone you don't want in your organization. For example, it doesn't matter how good Suter is, doesn't matter how many Norrises he has... if the primary reason he doesn't want to sign with the Habs (or Leafs) is because of the media, then good riddance! You can't succeed with a player like that.

But like I said, I disagree. I don't actually think these players give a shit about the media in Montreal or Toronto. All you need is to build through the draft and develop a good team on your own, and then the top free agents will come. The problem with both the Habs and the Leafs (although with the Leafs this is true for far longer than with the Habs) is that both teams are pure shit.

Who do the shitty teams attract? Garbage, overpaid mercenaries, like Wisniewski (barf) in Columbus or Connolly in Toronto. The quality free agents like Parise and Suter want to go to a winner.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Sad but true. The last time top end talent WANTED to come to Montreal was 20 years ago in the early 90's. Now we either have to draft/develop that talent ourselves or grossly overpay in free agency to get it.

I thought at least part of the reason guys don't go to Montreal these days was because of language concerns and Quebec taxes.

Solo

Or if you are Kirk muller

Haha, so true. We have a blind spot for Captain Kirk, but he`s earned it. Besides, he is learning French at least.

But yeah, langauge is a complete non-issue for players in Montreal. My french is limited to a few phrases at best. Im basically 99.7% anglophone and have no problems at all in Montreal. Everyone will speak english to you.

Quebec City, on the other hand...

Top Bottom