• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Solo

Galchenyuk, Yakupov, and Grigorenko

Just knowing that one of these three will be suiting up on the bleu, blanc et rouge next season makes me smile.

Not sure exactly where each would start the season though, linewise. Yaks would definitely play on the 2nd with Pleks, but if its either of the G's, they'd have to probably start on the third line and earn a bigger role from there.

dem

Just knowing that one of these three will be suiting up on the bleu, blanc et rouge next season makes me smile.

Not sure exactly where each would start the season though, linewise. Yaks would definitely play on the 2nd with Pleks, but if its either of the G's, they'd have to probably start on the third line.

If Grigorenko or Galchenyuk suit up for you next season... you've got big problems.

Solo

If Grigorenko or Galchenyuk suit up for you next season... you've got big problems.

Our prospect depth is shit. I guarantee you either plays.

This draft and next year's are where we can finally build up our prospect pool again. 7 1st/2nd round picks over the next 2 drafts.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Since it was framed to us why not the Habs? You Habs fans wouldn't give up your first for Nash? Or Edm for that matter? I just cannot see it working out in TO for him.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The irony is delicious coming from a team that has basically ruined Paajarvi, and most scouts have said Yakupov and Grigorenko are ready to make the jump, Galchenyuk will definitely need a year in juniors just to catch up on the year he missed this season.

Red_Man

Since it was framed to us why not the Habs? You Habs fans wouldn't give up your first for Nash? Or Edm for that matter? I just cannot see it working out in TO for him.
God no I hope not, we need a center more then a winger, and Nash isn't worth his pay. I don't think the new management would be stupid enough to do it, especially seeing as it's the only thing fans have had to look forward to after this abysmal season.

Solo

I read some report a few weeks back which was interesting. It basically showed that on one hand, the Habs have one of the worst/shallowest prospect pools in the league, but on the other hand, we were something like first in terms of having drafted players now playing in the NHL.

Which I guess one could connect the dots to and say that we're good at selecting talent, but terrible at managing it.

Solo

I know you're talking to Red Man, but my thoughts on the Oilers are simply that they should be a lot better than they are by now.

Socreges

Banned
Well, you don't watch the Oilers so all you see is a 12 point improvement from last season. They've improved big time in the GF/GA department and special teams. I can't remember how many 1 goal games they have lost this year. They are a much better team than last year but it's easy to say that they're not improving by seeing them 29th out of 30teams.
You're right. We're not giving the Oilers nearly enough credit. The last two seasons they were 30th in the league. But this season they finished a full position ahead of that, 29th, and just one year later. I wonder what next year has in store ...28th place maybe? Hmm, might be too ambitious.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, he's totally ruined. Probably won't play an NHL game again.

I don't know what your beef with the Oilers is, I just don't think you know the team and the fans well.
I used to live in Edm during the Gretzky era and the dismal shit afterwards. I recall the sports section beaming with pride about the goddamn points the players got, not wins. I remember the shit talk from Oil fans during their SCF run. And I see a team with money to spend but poor management which is content with doing little to nothing.

Never thought I'd see the day the 'City of Champions' would be happy with a potential 3 1st picks in 3 years.

Solo

The Oilers situation also goes to show you that not all drafts are created equal. With two straight #1 picks, they got Hall and Nugent Hopkins. With a #2 and #1 pick in 2004 and 2005, the Pens got Malkin and Crosby. Now, Hall are the Nug are great young players, but they are no Malkin and Crosby.

dem

Sorry... how did the Penguins get good? How did the Hawks get good? The Caps? Where did those Sedin sisters come from?

Y'all sound like sore bitches

You guys want to be playoff teams AND have high draft picks.
What a great idea.

You're right. We're not giving the Oilers nearly enough credit. The last two seasons they were 30th in the league. But this season they finished a full position ahead of that, 29th, and just one year later. I wonder what next year has in store ...28th place maybe? Hmm, might be too ambitious.

They've improved in every other department. You just typed out what Red Man said in a different way.

Red_Man

Oh yeah, he's totally ruined. Probably won't play an NHL game again.

I don't know what your beef with the Oilers is, I just don't think you know the team and the fans well.
I just don't think it's right that a team is racking up top 5 picks for continually being shit, I think the entire draft process is broken, and that you shouldn't get rewarded for being at the bottom.
Sorry... how did the Penguins get good? How did the Hawks get good? The Caps? Where did those Sedin sisters come from?

Y'all sound like sore bitches
You think you're going to draft an entire 23 man team that can win the cup? You've gotta sign veterans, and bring in other players along with your picks, and it's Edmonton's managements fault that no one wants to go there. Who would want to sign there with how bad they've been these last few years, and look like they'll continue to miss the playoffs for another couple years.

Solo

Those teams all turned it around a LOT faster than Edmonton. Thats the problem. Nobody is denying the things-have-to-get-worse-before-they-can-get-better mantra (thats where Montreal is right now), but that only gets extended for so long. If the Oilers miss the playoffs again next season, the rebuild will start to be called a bust.

The Habs were complete shit this season and yet I have absolute faith that they can and hopefully will be back in the playoffs next year. Can any Oiler fan honestly say that?

dem

I just don't think it's right that a team is racking up top 5 picks for continually being shit, I think the entire draft process is broken, and that you shouldn't get rewarded for being at the bottom.

You think you're going to draft an entire 23 man team that can win the cup? You've gotta sign veterans, and bring in other players along with your picks, and it's Edmonton's managements fault that no one wants to go there. Who would want to sign there with how bad they've been these last few years, and look like they'll continue to miss the playoffs for another couple years.

Veterans? We brought in Ryan Smyth this year. We brought in Eric Belanger. We brought in Darcy Hordichuck. We brought in Andy Sutton. We brought in Ben Eager. We resigned Ales Hemsky. We traded for Nick Shultz.

Just shut the fuck up. You don't know anything about the Oilers.

Solo

Pens: Malkin in 2004, Crosby in 2005, Stanley Cup in 2009
Hawks: Toews in 2006, Kane in 2007, Stanley Cup in 2010

So I guess by that example, Oilers should be lifting it 2014/2015?

Solo

Yeah. Fucking Pens.

Just thinking about the Habs current prospect depth makes me laugh and then weep. I can only count 3 guys who I think will eventually be everyday NHL players: Leblanc, Beaulieau, and Gallagher. Yikes.

We need to draft WISELY these next 2 drafts.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Edmonton I feel needs to figure their shit out soon.

They got a lot of big time RFAs coming up in the next 2 seasons (Gagner, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Paajarvi, Eberle)

Will be interesting to see if they may have to part way with some of them.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
And Ryan Whitney at #5 in 2002

but don't talk sense
Meh I don't think they deserved Crosby too. Bullshit free top pick for the Pens when no season was played. ANYONE could've finished last that year.

So I'm not just picking on Edm, I don't think any team should build like that.

Chicago did it the best...and they paid Tallon back by firing him before he could get the Cup with them.

I would also argue that the Pens were getting pieces in place AND they lacked the money that Edm has now.

Razorskin

----- ------
Yeah. Fucking Pens.

Just thinking about the Habs current prospect depth makes me laugh and then weep. I can only count 3 guys who I think will eventually be everyday NHL players: Leblanc, Beaulieau, and Gallagher. Yikes.

We need to draft WISELY these next 2 drafts.

Tinordi and Kristo are somewhere weeping right about now.

Socreges

Banned
So are they going to do the lottery right away or waste 30 min of our time first?

Edit
1 hour? I thought it was starting at 4pm?

Red_Man

Tinordi will be an NHLer, he's basically Hal Gill who can actually skate. Hamilton is going to be stacked next year, with Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher, Holland, Kristo, potentially Geoffrion and Leblanc.

Solo

So are they going to do the lottery right away or waste 30 min of our time first?

Edit
1 hour? I thought it was starting at 4pm?

It starts at 8pm EST and ends at 8:30pm EST.

And I am starting to get HYPED. I know better than to, but I can't help get excited by the mere chance of getting Yakupov. That would truly be a HUGE turning point for the franchise.

Red_Man

Yeaaaa legggoooo

82NXh.gif

Red_Man

Listening to a scout on TSN who thinks that Grigorenko could fall to Toronto, and that Montreal should go for Galchenyuk over Grig's.

Top Bottom