• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Islanders could still take a D-man.

edit: Oh shit yeah Edmonton will take Yakupov...FUCK FUCK FUCK!

I guess it depends on how far Gally's value has dropped after all of his injuries. In the end, it's not too bad to be able to pick Murray/Forsberg instead, but I liked how he fit a need of ours and was not only skilled, but known for his good work ethic.

calder

Lol worth posting again if it was already:

The latest whoopsie-daisies moment come courtesy of a franchise that has essentially been one large administrative snafu for the better part of a decade: the Oilers. Under the NHL's collective bargaining agreement, teams can only make four transactions with their AHL affiliates after the trade deadline. Edmonton tried to make a fifth, calling up Magnus Paajarvi from Oklahoma City on Friday and then, upon realizing their mistake, sticking him right back on the plane like a weary traveler turned away at customs. Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe later complained that the rule was "ludicrous," as if that absolved Edmonton from having to play by it.

The "essential reaction"
John MacKinnon at the Edmonton Journal basically handwaves all of this away: " … the Paajarvi 'easy-come-easy-go' fiasco is mighty small beer in the overall scheme of things. It's embarrassing, but everybody lived, for example."

He has a point: If you have "death" as your standard of failure, then yes, it's like the 32nd successful season in a row for the Oilers. Sure, it's six years without a playoff appearance and they're within spitting distance of clinching the title of "Worst team since the lockout," but NOBODY HAS DIED. For those of us who aim slightly higher, who think "not making the playoffs for six years" should be a measuring stick rather than "nobody died," this is another sign the people in the front office have no idea what they're doing. Picking Hall and RNH is the easy part.3 Actually, complying with the rules in the CBA is pretty bloody easy too. The hard part is moving from "having a bunch of talented young players" to "being an elite hockey team." I've no idea why, other than hope, people would expect that of this group.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What a joke, I hope Edmonton misses the playoffs for the next 10 years and Hall and Eberle walk away from the team.

Solo

I'm still going with Edmonton either

a) trading their #1 to Columbus for #2 + players or prospects
b) keeping #1, drafting Yakupov, and turning around and making a blockbuster trade for a big name D-man on draft day

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm still going with Edmonton either

a) trading their #1 to Columbus for #2 + players or prospects
b) keeping #1, drafting Yakupov, and turning around and making a blockbuster trade for a big name D-man on draft day
Edmonton should trade paarjarvi after they draft yakupov

Erdrick

Edmonton gets the 1st pick again? yeesh... When the heck are they going to actually be "good" from this eternal rebuilding process that has been going on seemingly forever? Will they finish 28th next year instead of 29th like they did this year?

MPW

98442425-430x296.jpg

dat laugh!

RNH
Hall
Yakupov
Eberle

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Edmonton gets the 1st pick again? yeesh... When the heck are they going to actually be "good" from this eternal rebuilding process that has been going on seemingly forever? Will they finish 28th next year instead of 29th like they did this year?

Eventually their scoring ability will far outpace defensive liability

This year or next year.... Oilers are going to turn into the most powerful team in the NHL. There hasn't been a team as potentially scary as them since the Gretzky years

Parch

Way to go Oilers!
Yakupov is the clear number one. The rest of the top ten is a toss up so this is a significant win for the Oilers.
I agree there's a possibility the Oilers trade the pick, but now the 1st overall has significantly more trade value than #2.

Red_Man

suter's rights and predators #1 for yakupov
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this happens, pretty likely.

I take solace in the fact Montreal will finish in a higher position then Edmonton last year. Enjoy missing the playoffs again!

DopeyFish

Yup. The order may change, but your Top 4 is Yakupov, Galch, Grigs and Murray. Leafs are probably looking at Forsberg.

I'm a sad panda man

Fuck fuck fuck

If NYI takes forsberg... Leafs are gonna have to trade the fuck out of their D corps

Solo

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this happens, pretty likely.

I take solace in the fact Montreal will finish in a higher position then Edmonton last year. Enjoy missing the playoffs again!

The only crummy thing is that next year's draft is even better and if the Habs have the season I expect them to next year, they won't be picking before at least #15.

DopeyFish

Forsberg or Murray would not be bad at all.

But if it's Murray... Leafs have so much Defensemen right now...

Phaneuf
Schenn
Gardiner
Liles
Franson
Gunnarsson
Komisarek
Blacker
Holzer

And then #1 draft pick

And Burke will be all over Schultz so if we get him

So many trades are going to occur

At the bar for trivia, but I just saw the results.....

Just wanted to say, "hahahahahahahaha"

That team really is gonna be amazing in a few years. They should make a play for Suter.

Solo

I think it would be absolutely hilarious if the Oilers still sucked 4 years from now and lost all that talent to the FA market.

Brinbe

Yeah, if Murray drops, I'd have zero problem taking him. Absolutely none. Despite our need for a 1C, we just need talent. It's not as if this D was anything special.

I'm not exactly sold on Forsberg, but I'll trust the scouts that have ranked him so highly. And at least we didn't drop, we should be thankful for that.

Socreges

Banned
Einherjar said:
Forsberg or Murray would not be bad at all.
Nope. But the TSN guy that had CBJ taking Murray and the Islanders taking Forsberg, allowing Galchenyuk to fall to the Leafs.... why would he give Leafs fans hope like that? So cruel. Like people have said, it's more likely that the first four picks are all forwards and Toronto is left picking a dman.

Erdrick

Eventually their scoring ability will far outpace defensive liability

This year or next year.... Oilers are going to turn into the most powerful team in the NHL. There hasn't been a team as potentially scary as them since the Gretzky years

I have to begrudgingly agree. I didn't watch the team at all, except when they played us here in Winnipeg
(And beat us *Shakes fist in Edmonton's general direction*)
and damn, they were fast. If they can coordinate and mature, they could be a very dangerous team, offensively.

But you need to be able to keep the puck out of the net, and there isn't enough Vodka left in Khabibulin's glove-hand to help their back end.

By the time their players get good, will they be able to hold on to them? Always been a problem for small-market teams, at least in the past, I assume it's still the same today?

DopeyFish

Nope. But the TSN guy that had CBJ taking Murray and the Islanders taking Forsberg, allowing Galchenyuk to fall to the Leafs.... why would he give Leafs fans hope like that? So cruel. Like people have said, it's more likely that the first four picks are all forwards and Toronto is left picking a dman.

I think I'm going to be drunk when the draft goes down

I just don't know how I'm going to handle it

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

6yvc9yh.gif

I hate the truth in this post so much. :(

Solo

On the other hand, if Patrick Roy does become the next coach, its nice to have a player-coach relationship already in existence like he and Grigs have.

I'm going to agonize over this for the next 73 days, lol. COME TO ME, JUNE 22!

Either way, I'm officially on the Galchenyuk-or-Grigorenko-whoever-is-the-best-fit train.

Red_Man

1 more game and Yakupov would have been ours :(

At least I'm not a Columbus fan, I would probably hang myself right now if I was.

Socreges

Banned
If the Oilers could pull off something to get a top pairing dman for the #1 pick, they'd be in a much better position to start attracting players outside of shitstains like Hordichuk and Eager (and vets like Smyth with some rare affection for the city). Dubnyk/Khabibulin is a decent tandem, too.

Three consecutive #1 picks. Incredible.

Solo

1 more game and Yakupov would have been ours :(

I'm not going to lie and say I'm not upset over missing out on Ovechkin 2.0, but at the end of the day, our biggest organizational need is (and has been for 15 years) depth down the middle. We finally now have the chance to land that #1 centre we've been lacking since like the Pierre Turgeon era.

If Eller keeps developing, 5 years down the road we could be looking at:

- C1: Galch or Grigs
- C2: Eller
- C3: DD
- C4: White

Montresor

I really fucking hate Toronto radio. Why am I hearing endless bitching about Burke's reaction to the lottery results on the air? What did he do? I turned off the TV once I saw Edmonton won. All I saw was Tambelleni's dumb grin before I shut off the TV...

=/

Marvie_3

Banned
I really fucking hate Toronto radio. Why am I hearing endless bitching about Burke's reaction to the lottery results on the air? What did he do? I turned off the TV as soon as I saw Edmonton won.

=/
Sat there and looked like he pooped himself like he usually does.

Solo

I could see the Islanders taking Murray, leaving Leafs with Forsberg.

Expecting:

Yakupov
Grig
Gal
Murray
Forsberg

This is the Top 5 I want. Columbus taking Grigs before us leaves us with no hard decision to make and removes the work ethic cloud from over our heads. Galchenyuk's worth ethic has been praised.

Red_Man

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dumba go ahead of Murray, Dumba's ceiling seems to be higher then Murray and he's a more versatile D.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Tambellini has worn the same tie three straight years to the lottery drawing.

Other teams, want the #1 pick? Steal the fucking tie.

Top Bottom