• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Takuya

Banned
It's just frustrating to know that the Parise's and Suter's won't even consider Montreal. 24 Stanley Cups and yet, because of the media culture, we're viewed like lepers by talent.

It's more that the players don't want to come here because of Quebec culture in general. The whole French supremacist mentality where it matters more to the people that the people in charge speak French instead of being the most competent for the position. The media is hard on the team, and mostly due to the fact that there are very few 'true' French-Canadian players on the team. That's all they complain about.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Haha, so true. We have a blind spot for Captain Kirk, but he`s earned it. Besides, he is learning French at least.

But yeah, langauge is a complete non-issue for players in Montreal. My french is limited to a few phrases at best. Im basically 99.7% anglophone and have no problems at all in Montreal. Everyone will speak english to you.

Quebec City, on the other hand...

Ah, alright. I'm glad to be set straight on this.

And I like how the Wild played themselves out of lottery position by winning like 6 of their last 10. Losers.

Solo

It's more that the players don't want to come here because of Quebec culture in general. The whole French supremacist mentality where it matters more to the people that the people in charge speak French instead of being the most competent for the position. The media is hard on the team, and mostly due to the fact that there are very few 'true' French-Canadian players on the team. That's all they complain about.

What an odd cycle.....when the Habs DO draft a French-Canadian, that very same media who complains about not having those players turns around crushes those players under the weight of expectation.

I think Louis LeBlanc will survive that though. He has a much better head on his shoulders than the last few homegrown Habs picks.

Takuya

Banned
I think Louis LeBlanc will survive that though. He has a much better head on his shoulders than the last few homegrown Habs picks.

That's because he grew up in the West-Island. Learned how to deal with the whole language issue early on in life.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What an odd cycle.....when the Habs DO draft a French-Canadian, that very same media who complains about not having those players turns around crushes those players under the weight of expectation.

I'm seeing far too many parallels with Toronto here.....

Ah, alright. I'm glad to be set straight on this.

And I like how the Wild played themselves out of lottery position by winning like 6 of their last 10. Losers.

I'm sure the wild have prospects worth talking about... As long as they have prospects, they haven't turned into Calgary yet

Solo

That's because he grew up in the West-Island. Learned how to deal with the whole language issue early on in life.

That, and his time at Harvard.....I think he is just a lot more mature and ready for it than Latendresse was, for example.

thabiz

I disagree.

First of all, if a player doesn't want to play for a team as historic and prestigious as the Habs because of the media, then that's someone you don't want in your organization. For example, it doesn't matter how good Suter is, doesn't matter how many Norrises he has... if the primary reason he doesn't want to sign with the Habs (or Leafs) is because of the media, then good riddance! You can't succeed with a player like that.

But like I said, I disagree. I don't actually think these players give a shit about the media in Montreal or Toronto. All you need is to build through the draft and develop a good team on your own, and then the top free agents will come. The problem with both the Habs and the Leafs (although with the Leafs this is true for far longer than with the Habs) is that both teams are pure shit.

Who do the shitty teams attract? Garbage, overpaid mercenaries, like Wisniewski (barf) in Columbus or Connolly in Toronto. The quality free agents like Parise and Suter want to go to a winner.

Parise and Suter come from very small markets (hockey wise). They can walk the streets. Go to a bar at night. They can live like normal people. I think this is in fact a HUGE deal for players. They can get the same money in a smaller market, and live their life. Raise families, etc.

In TO and MTL, it is brutal. BRUTAL! Unlike any other markets out there. You cant put a toe outside without getting harassed. Once the media is on you, the fans will follow. TO and MTL media have forced hall of famers out because of their antics. Does that seem like an attractive destination?

Why should they have to put up with abuse they wouldn't get anywhere else in hockey?

Solo

Parise and Suter come from very small markets (hockey wise). They can walk the streets. Go to a bar at night. They can live like normal people. I think this is in fact a HUGE deal for players. They can get the same money in a smaller market, and live their life. Raise families, etc.

In TO and MTL, it is brutal. BRUTAL! Unlike any other markets out there. You cant put a toe outside without getting harassed. Once the media is on you, the fans will follow. TO and MTL media have forced hall of famers out because of their antics. Does that seem like an attractive destination?

Why should they have to put up with abuse they wouldn't get anywhere else in hockey?

Sadly, I think this is a prevelant feeling amonst players. Why go to Canada to cold winters and a media/fan circus and no privacy when I can go to California or Florida in the sun where nobody knows or cares who you are?

Takuya

Banned
I disagree.

First of all, if a player doesn't want to play for a team as historic and prestigious as the Habs because of the media, then that's someone you don't want in your organization. For example, it doesn't matter how good Suter is, doesn't matter how many Norrises he has... if the primary reason he doesn't want to sign with the Habs (or Leafs) is because of the media, then good riddance! You can't succeed with a player like that.

But like I said, I disagree. I don't actually think these players give a shit about the media in Montreal or Toronto. All you need is to build through the draft and develop a good team on your own, and then the top free agents will come. The problem with both the Habs and the Leafs (although with the Leafs this is true for far longer than with the Habs) is that both teams are pure shit.

Who do the shitty teams attract? Garbage, overpaid mercenaries, like Wisniewski (barf) in Columbus or Connolly in Toronto. The quality free agents like Parise and Suter want to go to a winner.

You underestimate the power of the media. They're nosy, and all-around annoying. They dissect your every breath ater each game (and in between), it's added weight to an already stressful job. A lot of players would rather play in cities that don't put your every move under the microscope. Some players can handle it, some can't; this goes for both the support and superstar players.

DopeyFish

Sadly, I think this is a prevelant feeling amonst players. Why go to Canada to cold winters and a media/fan circus and no privacy when I can go to California or Florida in the sun where nobody knows or cares who you are?

This is what separates ordinary men from gods

Solo

You underestimate the power of the media.

In Canada, ESPECIALLY Montreal and Toronto, one should never underestimate the media power. I don't think I'll ever forget Cammalleri going from an "off the record" remark to front page hedlines to traded MID-GAME within 24 hours. That is power.

Takuya

Banned
In Canada, ESPECIALLY Montreal and Toronto, one should never underestimate the media power. I don't think I'll ever forget Cammalleri going from an "off the record" remark to front page hedlines to traded MID-GAME within 24 hours. That is power.
Funny thing is... It was a translation of what Cammalleri said by Francois Gagnon that was taken as the truth... Not his actual spoken English words.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Truth right there.

You guys who don't think the media plays a role in all this are crazy, CRAZY! In Toronto and Montreal they will eat you alive. That's why despite the sentiment right now I think Burke is still the best guy to be in charge right now. He doesn't take any crap from the media and pretty much lambasts anyone who tries something with his players.

There's no way in hell you can tell me without Brian Burke here Phil Kessel would get away with not doing as many interviews as he does now. How many times this season did he get first star of the game and they had someone else come out to give the interview?

But in closing, I hate this off season thread, I hate always going here every single year since I've been a part of NHL-GAF. I hate seeing the Leafs be ridiculed and laughed at, and yes I even hate seeing the Habs where they are now too.

Both the Leafs and Habs time will come, we will rise back up to where we deserve to be. NHL-GAF at that time will feel our power. I dream of a world where the Habs face the Leafs in the playoffs and we need to have our own seperate thread outside of the NHL one because our fanbases will destroy any other discussion.

Solo

Habs/Leafs playoff series would be a dream come true for me. Not to mention it would shatter every CBC ratings record there is. I still vividly recall that if the Leafs hadn't gotten Gretzky'd in 1993, it would have been Habs/Leafs cup final.

Takuya

Banned
Habs/Leafs playoff series would be a dream come true for me. Not to mention it would shatter every CBC ratings record there is. I still vividly recall that if the Leafs hadn't gotten Gretzky'd in 1993, it would have been Habs/Leafs cup final.

If the Habs and Leafs ever did meet in the playoffs, I'd put my money on the Habs being the higher seed in any case. lol

DopeyFish

If the Habs and Leafs ever did meet in the playoffs, I'd put my money on the Habs being the higher seed in any case. lol

I was going to contest this... until I noticed Toronto has only won their division ONCE since the NHL was divided into divisions (it was in the 99/2000 season)

Solo

I still can't believe the Habs were #1 seed in the east and 2nd in the Presidents trophy race just 4 seasons ago.

Hey 19&21, my friend just texted me this...

ARUqV.jpg

MPW

tony on team 990 said habs might trade their pick to get a player .... habs want to reload not rebuild ... WTF

vader.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
They won't trade it, Marinaro is probably just speculating possible outcomes, dude is on a sports talk show focusing on a team out of the playoffs, he's going to run out of shit to say. I'm hoping that with a new GM and head coach, and changes in the roster (ie dumping Gomez and possibly Kaberle) plus the success of Cole will help lure some players over. Just like every other team, Habs landing a Parise or Suter would be huge.

dem

Oilers winning the draft lottery would be an amazing troll job. I need to see the hf meltdown.

3 straight years!
3 straight years!
3 straight years!

First NHL Draft Lottery for me to witness tonight. Are there any free online streams to watch it? Here's to hoping columbus gets the pick.

The Jackets finished strong to the season and I hope Nash and Howson are both retained. I hope Richards is made headcoach as well. We need a competent goalie and another left winger and I'll be happy. I'm impressed with Atkinson, too. He'll be fun to watch next season.

Socreges

Banned
I'd really like Montreal to somehow get the first pick. Yakupov on the Habs would be great.

Free agency is kind of a "what have you done lately?" thing. Chicago used to be the same way until they started winning again. Great city, Original 6, and still nobody wanted to play there.
This. I think the 'O6' element gives it a nice sheen, but players obviously prioritize a great deal else before caring about history. Big pay day and the current state of the team/organization are the big draws. And like people have said, the ability to live your life in peace and not get wrung through the ringer on a regular basis is nice.

Red_Man

Oilers winning the draft lottery would be an amazing troll job. I need to see the hf meltdown.

3 straight years!
3 straight years!
3 straight years!
Aren't you sick of your team being complete shit? One year of it and I'm ready to hang myself, I couldn't handle another 3-4 years of this garbage. It's cool getting a potentially new franchise player, but I'd rather be in the playoffs every year then play the lottery.

dem

Aren't you sick of your team being complete shit? One year of it and I'm ready to hang myself, I couldn't handle another 3-4 years of this garbage. It's cool getting a potentially new franchise player, but I'd rather be in the playoffs every year then play the lottery.

Of course
But we suck and we can't make the playoffs.

So we wait.

dem

What do you guys think Nugent hopkins is going to save the Oilers his first season?
Gimme a break

Montreal deserves nothing.

Columbus deserves it. Isles deserve it. Edmonton.... well.. I'll take Ryan Murray if the 3peat doesnt happen :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What do you guys think Nugent hopkins is going to save the Oilers his first season?
Gimme a break

Montreal deserves nothing.

Columbus deserves it. Isles deserve it. Edmonton.... well.. I'll take Ryan Murray if the 3peat doesnt happen :p
Those other teams are at least trying to do something whereas the oil seem to be rebuilding all the time.

Red_Man

An Edmonton fan saying Montreal doesn't deserve it is laughable, Edmonton has fucking sucked for years now and keeps going, the GM needs to wake the fuck up and doing something, you guys shouldn't be rewarded for continually being one of the worst teams in the league, Montreal just had one of it's worst seasons in history and still finished ahead of Edmonton, that's pretty sad. The whole draft process is broken, you shouldn't continually be rewarded for being a piece of shit and not improving your team.

Columbus won like 10 of their last 14! I don't know how draft lotteries work... but does that hurt our odds? Or, is it just last place gets the most balls and so on?

dem

The Oilers have tried to do something over and over again.

Do you really forget the offer sheets..? Offering huge money to free agents? Players REFUSING trades to the Oilers? Players DEMANDING trades from the Oilers?

What the fuck do you want the Oilers to do?

You two are dopes.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Columbus won like 10 of their last 14! I don't know how draft lotteries work... but does that hurt our odds? Or, is it just last place gets the most balls and so on?
Doesn't hurt it much if any. I'm sure Col will get the first, I just don't want ANY team getting 3 firsts in a row no matter how bad they are.

Socreges

Banned

Do you really forget the offer sheets..? Offering huge money to free agents? Players REFUSING trades to the Oilers? Players DEMANDING trades from the Oilers?

Please stop. You're taking all the comedy out of it.

Is "Oil Change" still a thing? I'd guess it'd be running out of angles at this point.

Red_Man

Nah they dug themselves such a deep hole at the beginning of the year no team could catch up with them, so they still have the odds in their favor.

An interesting idea I saw on hfboards is if Jackets take Yakupov, trade Nash for Toronto's first and grabs Galchenyuk to reunite them in Columbs....

An Edmonton fan saying Montreal doesn't deserve it is laughable, Edmonton has fucking sucked for years now and keeps going, the GM needs to wake the fuck up and doing something, you guys shouldn't be rewarded for continually being one of the worst teams in the league, Montreal just had one of it's worst seasons in history and still finished ahead of Edmonton, that's pretty sad. The whole draft process is broken, you shouldn't continually be rewarded for being a piece of shit and not improving your team.

Well, you don't watch the Oilers so all you see is a 12 point improvement from last season. They've improved big time in the GF/GA department and special teams. I can't remember how many 1 goal games they have lost this year. They are a much better team than last year but it's easy to say that they're not improving by seeing them 29th out of 30teams.

Quick

Banned

You two are dopes.

If your GM can't get anyone to sign with the team, he's not doing his job pretty well. And If players are refusing and demanding trades to and from the team, then there's something wrong in the culture overall and that needs to be addressed.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
An interesting idea I saw on hfboards is if Jackets take Yakupov, trade Nash for Toronto's first and grabs Galchenyuk to reunite them in Columbs....
That would be great for Columbus...terrible for the Leafs though.

It would take Nash plus to get something like that done.

jred2k

Please stop. You're taking all the comedy out of it.

Is "Oil Change" still a thing? I'd guess it'd be running out of angles at this point.

I saw it on one night but apparently its on Sportsnet now. I try not to watch the channel so I'm a bad example, but I never once saw it advertised. From what I saw the production was nowhere near 24/7 levels and was really boring in comparison.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
That would be great for Columbus...terrible for the Leafs though.

It would take Nash plus to get something like that done.

Nash + + + +

Columbus would have to pay big for something like that plus take back some dead weight to balance out the salaries I'm sure.

Quick

Banned
I saw it on one night but apparently its on Sportsnet now. I try not to watch the channel so I'm a bad example, but I never once saw it advertised. From what I saw the production was nowhere near 24/7 levels and was really boring in comparison.

I've seen a few. Same idea as 24/7, but not the same production quality. It's decent enough for an hour's worth every couple of months, I suppose.

I do like that it also focuses on the Oklahoma City Barons, so you get a peek at what their farm team is doing, too.

Red_Man

:lol I would be doing the same if I was close enough to see a game. It's a real shame Galchenyuk's team got eliminated so early, this years combine is going to mean quite a bit with Galchenyuk, Yakupov, and Grigorenko all having suffered big injuries in the last year.

Top Bottom