• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

aqCJ2.png
I don't think its the league that's turning fans against the players bro...

Do they honestly not realize that saying shit about trying to make a living EARNING MILLIONS a year, isn't at all helpful in terms of getting people to like you? Were they all asleep during the whole wealth disparity thing that's going on right now?

Marvie_3

Banned
Also, we're getting close to the 20,000 post limit, do we have a lock out thread planned?
I'll start putting something together.
I don't think its the league that's turning fans against the players bro...

Do they honestly not realize that saying shit about trying to make a living EARNING MILLIONS a year, isn't at all helpful in terms of getting people to like you? Were they all asleep during the whole wealth disparity thing that's going on right now?
Bingo.

calder

When are we embedding Marvie into whatever rank NYC hotel lobby the rest of the unwashed reporters are camped out in? I have $5 for the per diem kickstarter.

With how vocal the players are being and how the owners aren't going to give into the players radical demands, I really think we may have a longer lockout than some are thinking.

JABEE

2 reasons:
  • He's not rich enough to buy an entire team outright
  • Investors obviously see Phoenix as a terrible investment
How is he going to be able to run a profitable hockey team of he is already having trouble finding capital on the initial private offering? How will he get long term financing for the team when his closest millionaire friends and investors are having trouble contending with putting money into a Phoenix hockey team? Why does the NHL continue to allow Franchises to be sold to owners who are going to constantly running into financing problems during the short and long term future of the franchise?

Marvie_3

Banned
How is he going to be able to run a profitable hockey team of he is already having trouble finding capital on the initial private offering?
Well getting handed $15M+ per year from Glendale will help but there's no way he's going to be in it for the long term.

How will he get long term financing for the team when his closest millionaire friends and investors are having trouble contending with putting money into a Phoenix hockey team?
I don't think he's in it for the long term anyway. After a few years he'll run the team through bankruptcy and wash his hands of the whole mess.

Why does the NHL continue to allow Franchises to be sold to owners who are going to constantly running into financing problems during the short and long term future of the franchise?
Because it saves richer owners money(lower salary cap) and the league doesn't give a shit if an owner loses money on the team.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
As ugly as Sopel is, we could have used him last year. He's playing in Europe now isn't he?

Quick

Banned
I'm really not sure which side is the better side in the negotiations. Plain and simple, I just want hockey back.

And on a similar note, TSN are being dicks by airing a top ten "things you're going to miss out on" on Sportscentre.

Cake Boss

Banned
So he doesnt even have an NHL contract and hes talking shit about the owners and all on twitter. He went on to compare the strike to the chicago one then got some backlash from it, after that he went with the whole I have an opinion and everything, I said so did Hitler.

Parch

After watching today's press conferences, it's the union that is definately playing the pity card. But public opinion means squat. It's not going to sway the owner's position.

I personally think Fehr and the union is full of shit. I'm definately no fan of Bettman either but I'm on the side of the owners. There are too many teams struggling finacially that increased revenue sharing is not going to fix. They might be rich owners but it doesn't mean they should run teams at a loss if they want to spend close to the cap.

I think the players will have to back off before this gets anywhere, but after today it's clear they're still miles apart and this is not going to get fixed anytime soon. Friggin' sucks.

So he doesnt even have an NHL contract and hes talking shit about the owners and all on twitter. He went on to compare the strike to the chicago one then got some backlash from it, after that he went with the whole I have an opinion and everything, I said so did Hitler.

Ha ha ha ha oh man, please never change.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
After watching today's press conferences, it's the union that is definately playing the pity card. But public opinion means squat. It's not going to sway the owner's position.

I personally think Fehr and the union is full of shit. I'm definately no fan of Bettman either but I'm on the side of the owners. There are too many teams struggling finacially that increased revenue sharing is not going to fix. They might be rich owners but it doesn't mean they should run teams at a loss if they want to spend close to the cap.

I think the players will have to back off before this gets anywhere, but after today it's clear they're still miles apart and this is not going to get fixed anytime soon. Friggin' sucks.

What right do players have to the owners billions? They didn't earn billions by owning hockey clubs

Sell the product so everyone earns their share. So what if the leafs earn a huge chunk - so does Crosby... Why don't you take money from him? Every team should have a profit (except in rare special cases when the base bottoms out) and players should earn their fair share

By doing rev sharing league wide... There are players out there who would earn more every year than any individual team. That's not right. Name on the front is a helluva lot more important than the name on the back

Players only have a right to their share of the revenue and the right to be stupid jackasses, and they've shown the last week that they are more than willing to excercise both those rights to their fullest

Marvie_3

Banned
What right do players have to the owners billions? They didn't earn billions by owning hockey clubs

Sell the product so everyone earns their share. So what if the leafs earn a huge chunk - so does Crosby... Why don't you take money from him? Every team should have a profit (except in rare special cases when the base bottoms out) and players should earn their fair share

By doing rev sharing league wide... There are players out there who would earn more every year than any individual team. That's not right. Name on the front is a helluva lot more important than the name on the back

Players only have a right to their share of the revenue and the right to be stupid jackasses, and they've shown the last week that they are more than willing to excercise both those rights to their fullest
WE PLAY FOR THE CREST AND NOT THE NAME ON THE BACK OH YEAH WANT TO ROCK WANT TO ROCK WANT TO ROCK OH YEAH

Someone should really tell the players that the entire world is in "fuck the rich" mode right now, and complaining about their 9% paycut on their million dollar salaries is the worst thing they could do if they want the fans on their side.

Not to mention the whole backstory of minimum wage workers and team
staff that won't get paid, just doesn't help their case off. You want money, we get it, but shut the fuck up about how you're trying to save your livelihood.

Quick

Banned
Turning the subject briefly away from the possible lockout to how tallying.

What's the advantage of awarding points for wins, rather than counting wins and losses?

The NBA, NFL, and MLB do a Win/Loss count, while the NHL awards 2 points for wins, and 1 for an OT loss.

I'm not necessarily complaining about them, just wanted to get some opinions on it. A Win/Loss count seems to just simplify everything, I think.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They're the reason the NHL brings in billions?

Revenues are not profits

Average revenue is $100 million a team

After player share its $43 million

After paying for all plane tickets? All their equipment? Etc?

After paying for GM, Scouts, Medical, insurance, lease, ushers, ticket clerks, running a facility with low temp and humidity, rent

Then realize a huge chunk of revenue comes from Toronto, Montreal and New York

Sure most owners are billionaires and a bunch of them are losing money. But why should they have to lose?

Someone should really tell the players that the entire world is in "fuck the rich" mode right now, and complaining about their 9% paycut on their million dollar salaries is the worst thing they could do if they want the fans on their side.

Not to mention the whole backstory of minimum wage workers and team
staff that won't get paid, just doesn't help their case off. You want money, we get it, but shut the fuck up about how you're trying to save your livelihood.

The part that pisses me off most is NHL isn't seeking to reduce current contracts but shrink the available pool. It won't impact their current flow of money. The owners could afford to hit 57% anyways!

Top Bottom