• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

I argued this point on another forum. Th e way you word it makes you sound racist.

How does it sound racist?

If the Republicans continue to let minorities be locked down by their opponents even as those minorities represent an increasing share of the population, then they are in for tough times ahead. Reliably Red States in the Southwest will slowly veer more towards Blue.

SmokeMaxX

Saw one of my friends making the "Gays shouldn't get married because of natural selection. Marriage is there so that there is more genetic diversity" argument on FB.

So I laid the smackdown on him with logic and empathy. Of course I got no response from him and he's giving me the silent treatment now. As if I should feel bad for him because people think it's wrong that he's trying to obstruct others' rights.

The relationship between natural selection and marriage is interesting, to say the least.

It would be interesting to see if the Republicans ever get a rock star like Barack Obama.

I have never seen a group of grown men get all giddy at any politician like you guys do over President Obama.

We have no vested interest in athletes, actors, musicians...but quite often we become their fans.

If we "identify" with someone who is President for whatever reason, why is it wrong to be a fan of that individual.

He will affect my life more than Kobe Bryant or Brad Pit or Sting. He seems more "real" to me than a lot of society.

Heh, my sister, who's running for a contested school district seat, just posted that line on her Facebook page. I guess I'm a bit pampered with my guaranteed election, but being in a swing state with all the other electioneering going on, I too, wanna be sedated.

HylianTom

Banned
During The Last Word's opening sequence just now, I heard Chuck Todd refer to Romney as "a challenger who hasn't quite made the final sale." It was jarring to hear him deviate from the whole "it's tight" narrative.

codhand

ZP65I.jpg

prometheus1.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's easy for people to ignore the parts they don't like in favor of the parts they do, especially on wedge social issues. It happens on the Democratic side as well, though maybe to a lesser extent. Like how a lot of the black community isn't very favorable to gay marriage but vote D anyway.

But do you have any examples of the official Democrat platform supporting two incompatible views? I'd seriously like to know.

smurfx

get some go again
god i just got caught up with this thread. loving the florida out look now. :D i want this to be over as soon as possible tomorrow so i can spend the extra time reading republican outrage on other forums.

SmokeMaxX

One thing that I hope everyone keeps in mind-
Silver's model assumes states will herd so the fact that a lot of states are going to Obama makes it more likely (in the model) that Florida will also go to Obama. If you believe that each state is independent of the others, you'd decrease Obama's chances of winnings from what Nate shows.

Silver's model assumes states will herd so the fact that a lot of states are going to Obama makes it more likely (in the model) that Florida will also go to Obama. If you believe that each state is independent of the others, you'd decrease Obama's chances of winnings from what Nate shows.
Well...Then you might end up with Sam Wang's model. :p

KHarvey16

I think he only ties states together that historically demonstrate some kind of correlation. Usually states that border one another, are located near each other or share demographic similarities.

AniHawk

so nate agrees with the morphogenetic field theory.

BobLoblaw

Banned
So, is there a definitive list of websites I can visit after the election tomorrow to see the meltdown on the right? I already know about Faux, I mean some of the other gems out there.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Aight, what are the best iOS apps to follow the election day? E.g. real-time map, notifications when states get called, etc. I hope there is one?

rodvik

Have a question poligaf. Arizona proposition 121, what does it do?

The proposition is called the "Open Elections/Open Government Act". Similar proposition have been passed in Louisiana, California, and Washington.

I am leaning towards yes but I don't feel I completely understand what it does.

Proposition Information: http://www.azsos.gov/election/2012/Info/PubPamphlet/Sun_Sounds/english/prop121.htm

PBS video on Proposition 121: http://www.azpbs.org/vote2012/121.php

http://ivn.us/ca-election-center/20...ckfires-in-arizona-open-elections-initiative/

It is opposed by Republicans and Libertarians. That probably tells you which way to vote (depending on your general views).

Clevinger

The proposition is called the "Open Elections/Open Government Act". Similar proposition have been passed in Louisiana, California, and Washington.

Proposition Information: http://www.azsos.gov/election/2012/Info/PubPamphlet/Sun_Sounds/english/prop121.htm

Instead of primaries of the two major parties, where only people registered in each party get to vote in the primary and choose the candidates for the general election, there would be a primary between every candidate regardless of party and everyone can vote in it.

The two candidates with the most votes go on to the general election.

I voted against this prop, but I may have been wrong (because I'm kinda dumb and all). See, I figured that in a red state like this it might screw things up. Right now there is one Republican and one Democrat chosen (so, one right leaning and one left leaning). So it being a very red state, I figured both of the most popular candidates would basically just be two Republicans, and it would hurt the chances of lefties in AZ.

Now I don't think I should have voted either way, because I don't really understand the ramifications. I mean, I get what it's doing, I just don't know how it would affect things; whether it'd ultimately be good or bad.

edit: To put it shortly, I'm dumb.

pigeon

Banned

This act would turn Arizona's system into what in Cali is called a "jungle primary." Basically, instead of the parties separately selecting their candidate, anybody who wants to run can toss their hat in the ring and get on the primary ballot. The primary acts as a runoff and the two winners in that runoff go on to the general. I'm not sure that I think it has any real advantages -- and it can really screw parties that send multiple candidates to the primary.

Drakeon

This act would turn Arizona's system into what in Cali is called a "jungle primary." Basically, instead of the parties separately selecting their candidate, anybody who wants to run can toss their hat in the ring and get on the primary ballot. The primary acts as a runoff and the two winners in that runoff go on to the general. I'm not sure that I think it has any real advantages -- and it can really screw parties that send multiple candidates to the primary.

The idea behind it is, that you could get more moderate candidates out of it in a place that normally only elects republicans or democrats, by having all the democrats vote for the more moderate republican. Now, if that happens in practice or not, I don't know.

lol I lost 5 or so this election hah
girl posted this:
26621_4412874692240_410132965_n.jpg

which isn't even Tebow's twitter, and got super mad when I pointed out that not only the account was fake but that the premise was false, and said I shouldn't share my comments when she didn't share her comments in the first place. Made no sense lol

Having a Facebook convo with someone over whether Obama is a secret commie white Muslim (wut) who is the anti-christ.

Obama has lied to are country. I voted for him he is in seek of his fathers quest to turn America into a communist country. He will increase the deficit to record numbers and leave us without War fare. OBAMA IS MAKING A MUSLIM NATION. How do you feel snot Osoma Bin Ladin getting a proper barrel. Did the family's of 911 have a chance? He's a radical his pastor is a radical his father from Kena is a polygamist with many wife's and children. His own brother in Kena doesn't support him so he lives in the slums. There's tapping of Obama speaking to Russia about his hands are tied to reelection. Are county will be tied to the Muslim nation don't be fooled. He's a White Muslim that has his daddy hopes HATE AMERICA .

P.S., yes, I think she is drunk too.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Filling out my ballot and came across a tough one...

Portland-Measure 26-146
The measure would assess an annual income tax of $35 on all income-earning Portland residents ages 18 and older unless they live in a household making less than the federal poverty level. The money would be used to hire arts and music teachers in public schools serving K-5 students in six Portland school districts. Money also would provide grants to nonprofit arts organizations, other nonprofits and schools to provide arts access to K-12 students, and to make arts and culture available to underserved communities. The tax, expected to raise $12 million a year, would begin with the 2012 tax year.

I am highly supportive of school arts and music education -- I think it's extremely important.

HOWEVER, I do not think this is a permanent solution as I support a much broader school funding reform, rather than a patchwork solution that this is. And two, this is a FLAT TAX. Flat taxes are evil.

Hrmmmmmm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom