• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Tales of Symphonia HD Remaster Collection coming to PS3?

Assuming this is true, and I assume it is, as it makes sense- how bad of a spot is Nintendo in when they cannot get a multiplat of a Gamecube game localized by Nintendo, from a company which they hired to help on Smash Bros?

Baba will not be moved from his assertion that the Tales audience is on the PS3 and only the PS3

Which it is, he's not wrong, but they'll never be able to expand for ports if they don't put even the simplest projects on other things.

Thoraxes

I own the GC and Wii version, but I wouldn't be adverse to picking them up on PS3.

It's been years since i've played them.

If it's a Tales filled year for Western fans, they could at least localize the Vita games. Yes I know they're bad but there's no other way I could play Hearts unless I learn Japanese and isn't ToIR less terrible than the NDS version?

I'm sure our expectations for a Tales filled year is much more than what they mean.

Anyone wanna avatar bet me that this is true? And it's coming for the west? We can up the ante however way we want yo.

kayos90
I believe firmly in losing avatar bets.
(Today, 03:19 PM)

StevieP

Banned
Baba will not be moved from his assertion that the Tales audience is on the PS3 and only the PS3

Which it is, he's not wrong, but they'll never be able to expand for ports if they don't put even the simplest projects on other things.

I recall the original GameCube tales selling ok. Anyone remember the numbers?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Right, and I understand his feeling- after years of wandering in the desert he found a home- but PS3 is going to wind down eventually.

I *assume* PS4 stuff is tentatively in the works.

I was able to interview Hideo Baba last saturday and he said none about Symphonia, but he hinted something about thitrd parts... and he was presenting Tales Of Xillia.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I never knew you were invested in fake avatar bets, kayos. I think we need to schedule an intervention.

Deku Tree said:
Ok but first put Vesperia on the PS3 outside of Japan PLZ.
Not happening. Ship has sailed.

Artorias

Banned
That would be awesome if true. I never even got that far in ToS, and never played the sequel.

Some people mentioned Nintendo localizing ToS for NA, is that true? Would they own the translation in that case? I'm sure they could get around that but I hope it doesn't affect it coming here in HD.

Chemo

I love Tales of Symphonia so damn much. I will buy the living shit out of this, even if it comes with that horrible horrible Wii game.

Right, and I understand his feeling- after years of wandering in the desert he found a home- but PS3 is going to wind down eventually.

I *assume* PS4 stuff is tentatively in the works.

I think they are going to ride the PS3 as long as they possibly fan

I get the feeling the only reason Vesperia was so relatively early was because Microsoft was dumping trucks of money over Japanese publishers at the time.

Ridley327

Assuming this is true, and I assume it is, as it makes sense- how bad of a spot is Nintendo in when they cannot get a multiplat of a Gamecube game localized by Nintendo, from a company which they hired to help on Smash Bros?

One would have to assume they wouldn't be using the element that Nintendo had a hand in for this remaster, so I can't imagine they're particularly torn up about it.

If I'm not mistaken, the PS2 port handily outsold the GCN version in Japan, so it's hard to deny that the series is very much a Playstation franchise.

That would be awesome if true. I never even got that far in ToS, and never played the sequel.

Some people mentioned Nintendo localizing ToS for NA, is that true? Would they own the translation in that case? I'm sure they could get around that but I hope it doesn't affect it coming here in HD.

The story goes that Nintendo owns it because they funded the localization; Namco still oversaw it and partnered with a third-party on it (the name escapes me right now), but all on Nintendo's dime.

While it was great back in the day, I can't imagine playing ToS 480p on my big TV.

I have a Super Famicom hooked up right now and from there I'm going to hook up my Saturn. 480p is fine lol. The biggest problem with these old games is the aspect ratio. Why couldn't we have had 16:9 from the beginning ...

Yes it's true. It's one of the primary reason it was even brought over to the US

XPE

It been nearly ten years since Tales of Symphonia came out so an HD port might not be out of the question, but since nintendo paid the localization unless this comes out on the WiiU we aint getting it =/

I mean, ToS's original translation is really kind of outdated right now. I would hope they go back and fix it.

Unvoiced skits isn't really something I can put up with in 2013.

One would have to assume they wouldn't be using the element that Nintendo had a hand in for this remaster, so I can't imagine they're particularly torn up about it.

If I'm not mistaken, the PS2 port handily outsold the GCN version in Japan, so it's hard to deny that the series is very much a Playstation franchise.

I imagine the extra content had a hand in that though.

Still, I agree, it's a better fit at the moment on PS consoles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

PS2 version did about 100K better in Japan, but I think the western GC release did pretty well.

My main point isn't to say Namco is making a dumb decision- more that if Nintendo had set up Wii U better from the start in terms of install base and 3rd party relationships, a Wii U version would be a no brainer.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It wouldn't surprise me, but if they aren't doing anything to Symphonia except upscaling it I doubt I'd be interested.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I asked him if after the sales of Xillia 2 didn't reach expectations he was still interested in sequels and he said the were interested in second and third parts of several games, that there were some stories that had to be told in several games.

Oh. Nvm. LOL. I read that very differently.

Honestly I think people put way too much emphasis on this originally being a GC game.

From a historical perspective the game was ported to PS2 in Japan, where IIRC it actually outperformed the JPN sales of the GC release. Every subsequent major Tales Of of the generation was a PS2 only release. From Namco's point of view I doubt they see Symphonia as being an anomaly, just another Tales Of.

From the contemporary perspective, Namco have made it clear that they see Japan as the main focus for the series and in that market they see the PS3 as the system with the fanbase. Given how badly the platform jumping worked out for them at the start of the generation I'm not sure why people would expect that they would start at it again, just to adhere to a platform release strategy from a decade ago.

I will buy this 10x over, especially for Symphonia since I never played it and always wanted too.

Dawn of the new World on the other hand I could care less about. If they change the Symphonia cast having locked equipment I might rethink it. I still hate this game for trying to use the monsters as party members mechanic (which I believe is lazy and is just a reason for the devs not to make anymore characters to play with), and having terrible MC's. Emil wasn't that bad but the girl was unbearable with all her love crap every second. Everytime I clicked a skit and saw her in it I immediately skipped it because she was going to turn it into some lovey dovey I don't like Emil but really do skit. She was so annoying that I really didn't care what happened to her. They just overdid the girl being tsundere cliche for that girl in this game, they just brought up her love interest WAY to much in this game. (Don't worry this isn't a spoiler since this is from the beginning to the whole game)

Would be happy if this was true even though I didn't enjoy DOTNW as much.

RPGCrazied

I will buy this 10x over, especially for Symphonia since I never played it and always wanted too.

Dawn of the new World on the other hand I could care less about. If they change the Symphonia cast having locked equipment I might rethink it. I still hate this game for trying to use the monsters as party members mechanic (which I believe is lazy and is just a reason for the devs not to make anymore characters to play with), and having terrible MC's. Emil wasn't that bad but the girl was unbearable with all her love crap every second. Everytime I clicked a skit and saw her in it I immediately skipped it because she was going to turn it into some lovey dovey I don't like Emil but really do skit. She was so annoying that I really didn't care what happened to her.

Would be happy if this was true even though I didn't enjoy DOTNW as much.

Don't forget the pokeman aspect of it. I applaud them for trying something new, but that is what I hated most about the game.

Roto13

Don't forget the pokeman aspect of it. I applaud them for trying something new, but that is what I hated most about the game.

I don't think I've ever played an RPG that has Pokemon collecting that was actually better for it. (Besides Pokemon itself.)

Basil

Banned
Makes sense to release it on PS3. Means if I HAVE to import it (Groan) I'll actually have that option if nothing else.

Also, I thought the sequel was great. Story was shit obvs, but the gameplay was solid enough. It'll have held up better than the original by this point.

Rpgmonkey

Not sure if I would be interested in a Symphonia remaster in particular unless they were to make changes I don't expect them to make.

Flamfas

Western Tales Twitter says it's a Tales filled year for the west. Rumor comes out one month or so before Tales Festival/E3 that HD Remaster of Symphonia is happening. This year is also Symphonia's 10th anniversary. Hmm.. I wonder.

Not to mention the OVA just FINALLY wrapped up in Japan.

That said, we're supposed to believe Baba mentioned this in an interview from a fansite but nowhere else?

Not buying it.

Ganondorfo

Why not baten kaitos + origins remaster? I mean who cares for tales of symphonia (it still looks amazing for the gamecube), there are plenty of new tales of games out (graces f, xillia 1-2).

Assuming this is real, if Symphonia HD were to get the Ps2 extras and released in the West I'd most likely get it.
Too bad I wouldn't be able to use my complete data from the GameCube version :p

Top Bottom