• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Tales of Symphonia HD Remaster Collection coming to PS3?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Btw kayos the article is saying that Xillia 2's localization is ensured, lol.

Yes I know it does. I left it out since it wasn't really relevant to what the point of this topic was. I'm not going to really comment on either Symphonia and Xillia 2. I'll remain quiet for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Of course this would be the first post of the new page. *sigh*

This might be one bet kayos could actually win...

lol. Too bad no one is betting me.

Seik

Banned
Oh and...

If this is true and if it comes here, I hope the extra stuff in the PS2 version will be there as well.

I assumed it would be a given, porting the PS2 version to PS3...

Besides, was there really that much in the Ps2 version besides a few extra costume events and that extra boss in the secret dungeon?

Seik

Banned
I assumed it would be a given, porting the PS2 version to PS3...

Besides, was there really that much in the Ps2 version besides a few extra costume events and that extra boss in the secret dungeon?

Wasn't there more attacks as well? I'm not sure though.

Whatever, even if it's not the PS2 version I'll be happy, it's just that...you know, the more content, the better!

EDIT: From a FAQ on GameFAQs

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Introduction
2. Cosmetic Changes
-Minor Graphical Changes
-Minor Musical/Sound Changes
-New Outfits
3. Gameplay Changes
-New Titles
-New Elemental Variations
-New Unison Attacks
-New Techniques
-New Hidden Ougis
-Fixed Bugs
-Powered-Up Bosses
-New Events
-New Monsters
-Other Changes

Oh yeah, I forgot that everyone had Mystic Arts instead of just three or so characters. I guess it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal since the new stuff in the Symphonia port was no where near as substantial as the Vesperia/Graces port lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Both games had Nintendo origins... I'm not sure about this rumour...

Same as those 3 DS titles they are remaking on Vita - thats probably the point which makes this rumor even more believable.

Pooya

ToS2 might be getting HD port? .... some things are better left untouched. Meanwhile Namco continues to hate Ace Combat fans :|

OHGODPLEASEBETRUE!

Considering that Nintendo owns the western localization, and Namco's relationship with Nintendo, a PS3 release seems really odd. But, maybe Namco will just pay for the license? Or hell, why not just freaking release it on the WiiU? The system is starved for games, and surely it'll sell down the line as more people buy WiiU's when Nintendo really kicks into gear with it. Either way, I just want this to come to the west.

Also, can we please get Vesperia on PS3 now? Or how about releasing it as a classic on PS4? It's been long enough, and 360's nowhere near being a good fit for a JRPG exclusive.

Parfait

I'd rather they have translated Tales of Destiny RE, ToD2, or remade Tales of Phantasia again, or bring Tales of Vesperia PS3 over, or, well, anything but Tales of Symphonia. Out of all the Tales games I played, Symphonia i liked the least, despite it having one of my favorite characters (Presea). Other than Refill and Presea I universally disliked every single character in that game. I guess sheena was ok i guess but playing her sucked.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I wish we could just drop Vesperia PS3 talk altogether. Every single time it's mentioned or brought up, a part of me dies.

I wish we could just drop Vesperia PS3 talk altogether. Every single time it's mentioned or brought up, a part of me dies.

Namco keeps being a slut and saying "no" but I really think if fans keep bludgeoning them with demand, eventually they'll give in. Same with FFVIIremake, and Suikoden II PSN release. Afterall, we're basically begging them to take our money. Operation Rainfall's success should give us hope.

I'd rather they have translated Tales of Destiny RE, ToD2, or remade Tales of Phantasia again, or bring Tales of Vesperia PS3 over, or, well, anything but Tales of Symphonia. Out of all the Tales games I played, Symphonia i liked the least, despite it having one of my favorite characters (Presea). Other than Refill and Presea I universally disliked every single character in that game. I guess sheena was ok i guess but playing her sucked.

I think Symphonia's one of the most fondly remembered 3D Tales games, so potential sales for it probably make a good candidate for an HD re-release. (Besides, it's just a damn nice JRPG.) And hey, maybe if it does well, they'll give us things like ToD/ToD2 HD.

Soriku

Namco keeps being a slut and saying "no" but I really think if fans keep bludgeoning them with demand, eventually they'll give in. Same with FFVIIremake, and Suikoden II PSN release. Afterall, we're basically begging them to take our money. Operation Rainfall's success should give us hope.

If Namco was a slut it'd say yes.

Proven

I, uhm, liked DotnW. Gameplay was solid Tales stuff, nothing to write home about but not bad either, while the mo-capped cutscenes and the skits might have been the best of the bunch of Tales games released in the west. :S

I liked Dawn of the New World too, but I know I liked it more for the nostalgia shot that came from Symphonia being my first ever Tales. Adding mo-cap custcenes increased that nostalgia injection by a good amount too. While I can't rank Symphonia objectively, gameplay-wise DotNW feels a little muddled; everyone outside the two main characters don't combo well.

Of the Tales games I've played, I've tended to rank gameplay over story, and I'm blessed in the fact that I've played ever Tales game I've gotten my hands on in multiplayer, and all with people willing to sit through an anime with me otherwise.

So, personal rankings...

Abyss (story + multiplayer-favored gameplay) > Graces F (best twitch gameplay and subsystems) > Destiny Remake (gameplay; don't know enough Japanese to fully appreciate the story) > Vesperia/Vesperia Remake (good story, but because I played multiplayer it upset me that half the characters were heads and shoulders more satisfying to play than the rest of the cast for most of the game) > DotNW (nostalgia, two characters were more satisfying to play than the rest outside of nostalgia)

And despite all of that, I still liked DotNW. I don't regret playing it, although it was a pretty quick game to begin with.

Aguirre

Oh and...

If this is true and if it comes here, I hope the extra stuff in the PS2 version will be there as well.

if its handled correctly, then you can probably bet there will be extras, unless its anything like that yakuza HD collection which is just the games ported and nothing more.

kewlmyc

Yes I know it does. I left it out since it wasn't really relevant to what the point of this topic was. I'm not going to really comment on either Symphonia and Xillia 2. I'll remain quiet for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Of course this would be the first post of the new page. *sigh*

lol. Too bad no one is betting me.

I'll bet you. I really don't think that this is real, and if it is, the west isn't getting it.

Flamfas

It's worth noting that source doesn't say Baba talked about these games himself.

The interviewers had already heard a rumor about this Symphonia Perfect Edition. When they asked Baba if it was real, he said that he knew it was something the fans had been hoping for, and that maybe we would hear something about it soon.

It's the last bit that might suggest it's really going to happen. Makes sense as the timing is right, and we know they tried to revisit Symphonia before (they tried to put it on PSP but for some reason they couldn't, I think they said it was too big).

But even if it does happen, it might not be this "perfect" edition that includes DotNW.

Celcius

°Temp. member
lol, I hope we have a choice to buy Symphonia without the sequel. They might as well leave it out and save on development time/cost.

duckroll

lol, I hope we have a choice to buy Symphonia without the sequel. They might as well leave it out and save on development time/cost.

Can't leave it out if you want to sell it in the US at retail. Sony has a mandate where HD Remasters sold at retail need to be at least 2 games.

duckroll

Really? I did find no evidences that said that Nintendo funded part of the translation but this is the 1st time i hear other wise.

Pretty much all Tales localization is handled by Namco in the US coordinating with 8-4 (I think during ToS it was a different name, but same dudes) in Japan for the text translation, and whatever recording studio they contract in the US for the voice dubbing. Not handled by Nintendo.

Pretty much all Tales localization is handled by Namco in the US coordinating with 8-4 (I think during ToS it was a different name, but same dudes) in Japan for the text translation, and whatever recording studio they contract in the US for the voice dubbing. Not handled by Nintendo.

Oh, i see. Wonder where the facts/rumors came from?Maybe because its was a possible reason TOS did not came for the PS2 i guess .

duckroll

Oh, i see. Wonder where the facts/rumors came from?Maybe because its was a possible reason TOS did not came for the PS2 i guess .

Nintendo could have had a deal where they helped promote the game in the US at that time, like how they're helping certain publishers push their games in the US now, but I'm fairly certain these deals don't give them any ownership of the titles or the localization work.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
mN3YT.jpg

IMO its on dolphin and it looks great (IMO) If they actually improve the models it would be great but as it is Im sold. TOS2 looks also nice. I get part of the hate for it but the game had some interesting things. Monster partners certainly was cool, lead characters play pretty good and gameplay itself isnt the problem. Main problem was unlikeable cast, no overworld and lack of customization for TOS1 cast. If they manage to flesh out some things of TOS2 more it certainly be great.

Pretty sure TOS was originally like capcom5, heavily funded by Nintendo for world wide release.
As we saw these contracts were only like 6months exclusivity lol.

IMO its on dolphin and it looks great (IMO) If they actually improve the models it would be great but as it is Im sold. TOS2 looks also nice. I get part of the hate for it but the game had some interesting things. Monster partners certainly was cool, lead characters play pretty good and gameplay itself isnt the problem. Main problem was unlikeable cast, no overworld and lack of customization for TOS1 cast. If they manage to flesh out some things of TOS2 more it certainly be great.

Yes i always think that TOS age better than the other tales games that Gen. The cast of TOS2 grow on me really quickly partly because of the great skits .Its pretty shitty that there is lack of customization for TOS1 cast, there are hacks that allow you to change our party and with full TOS1 cast you can hear more after party quote/chats etc .........
Its all voiced and out there already, just that without modding your wii you cannot hear them......

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yes i always think that TOS age better than the other tales games that Gen. The cast of TOS2 grow on me really quickly partly because of the great skits .Its pretty shitty that there is lack of customization for TOS1 cast, there are hacks that allow you to change our party and with full TOS1 cast you can hear more after party quote/chats etc .........
Its all voiced and out there already, just that without modding your wii you cannot hear them......

I did not know about that!!! Got a youtube vid or a link for the mod?

Nintendo could have had a deal where they helped promote the game in the US at that time, like how they're helping certain publishers push their games in the US now, but I'm fairly certain these deals don't give them any ownership of the titles or the localization work.
This seems likely, and it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft had a similar deal for Vesperia. The lack of PS2/PS3 releases a year later make more sense then.

Ridley327

I don't think it was 8-4 at all in any capacity; IIRC, it was a company that John Riccardi worked for, but left to form 8-4 a couple of years later.

duckroll

I don't think it was 8-4 at all in any capacity; IIRC, it was a company that John Riccardi worked for, but left to form 8-4 a couple of years later.

Yeah maybe. It's been a long time. Either way, when he formed 8-4, he brought the Namco contacts with him and continued to work with them.

Top Bottom