• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supernatural Season 12 |OT| Mama, I'm Coming Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

LOL.. Dad would love this....

landscape-1459849626-walking-dead-negan-jeffrey-dean-morgan.jpg
I like how the shot lingered on the bat after they left. Ackles and JDM had some fun with it last month on Twitter. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Jhoan

For it being hyped up as being THE Hellhound,
that sure was an anti-climatic fight. Sam made it look easy. I thought he was going to take some hits!

sturmdogg

Feels like a Season 1-5 episode for me.

Dean: Take care of her Sam.

Sam: You know I will. If we just keep moving we should be...you're talking about the car.

Dean: Think of her as a beautiful woman.

Crowley: Ew.

Also, loved the Dean and Crowley scene in the woods.

Great episode, I love that bat scene. Dean giving zero fucks about ghoul brain chunks in his hair was hilarious. More lore about creation is always nice, now we know that God created Hell hounds, neat.

I like how Dean is fine(reluctant, but fine) with help from the MoL. Tbh I was expecting a cheesy line of "I don't trust them. But I trust you" massive cheesy broship line lel. I honestly think the writers lurk this thread and see how much we hate the brotherly secrets/fighting so they took the fighting away and made the secrets less secretive(instead of the other brother finding out through other means, the secret keeping brother comes clean) and don't take a long, long time.

The scene with the demon though that cracked me up. The awkward silence and then Lucifer just snapping his finger and then standing there for a bit longer still a bit uncomfortable. Question though, if he has runes from the cage engraved on every molecule of that vessel...how'd he use his powers to turn those Demons to dust? The Cage should nullify his powers completely. Unless Crowley can activate its power, since he snapped his fingers and Lucifers wings went bye bye(again freaking hilarious reaction on Pellegrino's part).

BlueSnowboarder

Neo Member
Well....that was a great episode. Awesome tribute to JDM there :D, would have loved to see Dean use the bat but can't have everything. Sam knows a lot about Dean's packing lol, I suppose travelling with him your entire life you'd pick up some stuff.

Everything with Mark was fantastic, best Lucifer in my opinion. Of course Dean was talking about the Impala Sam, come on :D Loved that part.

Oh and that camera shot
through the glasses when Sam's fighting the Hellhound <3

All in all.....awesome episode, first time I smiled all day watching that :D.

BlueSnowboarder

Neo Member
Interesting episode. I think we're heading is what other people are saying. That the good monsters are going to push the issue. Especially with Sam being one of those monsters. If I recall that even mentioned the fact that he still had some Demon blood in him earlier in the season.

Also where the fuck is Castiel. I have a feeling he's also going to be one of the quote unquote monsters that they want to eliminate. Which is not going to go good.

Yeah, you bring up a good point that Same technically still has demon blood in him and might even still have some ability, only it's dulled out since he stopped juicing on demon blood.

I seem to recall the last time he talked about it he said 'and I have powers too'

And we all saw him hold the door against Lucifer's powers during the concert when no one else could. Not even Castiel could do that, one would imagine.

I don't think the demon blood will ever leave him, he's had it in him from the jump. I think they mentioned that at one point in the earlier seasons, that it's always gonna be a part of him. Which is nice that it's not just forgotten about.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This season has become something really great. I mean, last season was too but this season is for different reasons: it's a breath of fresh air.

How satisfying was it that Sam admitted to Dean what was happening only an episode later? Not only that but Dean ended up taking it well.

So many little things too. The way they're writing Dean lately and the way Ackles is playing him, for example. Lots more comedic notes like in the first five seasons of the show

And seeing the boys and Crowley finally -- as much as I would ever expect them to -- basically admit to being friends and having each other's backs, was great. The little banter with Dean and the smile on Crowley's face when Sam said, "Thank you."

Granted, that's going to get bad when Lucifer gets out for real. I hope they give Crowley a deeper reason than revenge. I'm going to be bummed when this pits him against the boys again.

The only thing that I'm mixed on is Castiel visiting Heaven again. Hopefully there's a nice twist coming with that as I was happy to be done with the back and forth regarding Cas. But maybe it will lead to finally seeing what happened to Bobby in Heaven after season 10?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Another fantastic episode. Davy Perez is quickly becoming my new favorite writer on the show.

I was just thinking that. He really and truly seems to understand the family aspect of Supernatural and his characterization of the cast is refreshing.

Edit: Looking at his history is interesting. He came from ABC's American Crime, which is a fairly acclaimed drama. That surprised me.

I was worried after the show lost Robbie Thompson but Perez might be jumping right into where Thompson left off.

Kevin

Supernatural has hit a series low. That being said, all CW shows are down this year. Also with Riverdale being a bomb and being paired with Supernatural probably didn't help.

Hopefully ratings will pick back up if not this year then during season 13.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Supernatural has hit a series low. That being said, all CW shows are down this year. Also with Riverdale being a bomb and being paired with Supernatural probably didn't help.

Hopefully ratings will pick back up if not this year then during season 13.

And Riverdale got picked up, despite that.

Supernatural is there until Jensen and Jared are done. Don't worry.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow Sam and Dean actually.... thanked Crowley?

I have been waiting for this moment for a very very very long time.

I said it earlier but that half-smile on Crowley's face was such a great moment. I worry that the stuff with Lucifer will set his character's relationship with Sam and Dean back again. I just want the writers to double down on Crowley finally being on Team Free Will for real.

In my dream scenario, season 13 will upgrade both Misha and Mark to full 22-episode series regulars.

My only remaining gripes with the show now are that Dean still gets pretty much all of the beefy plot points, and now we have more characters that are invincible because they're series regulars.

Not digging how nerfed Lucifer is, either.

Media

I got teary when they thanked Crowley. I totally take back what I said about him being stupid. I should have had faith.

And 'Dad would have loved this.' had me laughing so hard I had to pause it even though I don't watch TWD.

Savitar

The people in charge or use to be in charge didn't want JMD on the show for years since his in show death due to how popular he got despite him suppose to be a shit head dad, a fact they extremely pushed after.

Nowadays can't help but bet they wish they could have him show up, not sure if he would. For the longest time he said he would but again the powers that be made excuses on him not being able to do so, might have burnt that bridge. If nothing else he still gets along with Jensen and co as we saw from that twitter exchange.

My only remaining gripes with the show now are that Dean still gets pretty much all of the beefy plot points, and now we have more characters that are invincible because they're series regulars.

Not digging how nerfed Lucifer is, either.

Well it's 100% temporary, better than him just sitting in the cage again. He's only powerless because Crowley's demons somehow engraved cage runes on his vessels molecules. There's probably a spell to reverse it so Lucifer will find some faithful witch to do it
Then he'll snap their neck

ZeoVGM

Banned
The people in charge or use to be in charge didn't want JMD on the show for years since his in show death due to how popular he got despite him suppose to be a shit head dad, a fact they extremely pushed after.

This is completely untrue and I'm pretty sure you just randomly made it up.

There is absolutely zero evidence that they didn't "want him on the show" out of bitterness that he became popular.

They killed him off because keeping the character around wouldn't have worked with the show. They didn't bring him back because the actor kept busy and they didn't have the appropriate story to do it. The producers have said this before.

Savitar

This is completely untrue and I'm pretty sure you just randomly made it up.

There is absolutely zero evidence that they didn't "want him on the show" out of bitterness that he became popular.

They killed him off because keeping the character around wouldn't have worked with the show. They didn't bring him back because the actor kept busy and they didn't have the appropriate story to do it. The producers have said this before.

Yeah I randomly made it up for fun, totally.

WRONG

What a jackass statement to make jackass.

I got way too many friends into this show, like really into the show, disturbing into the show, go to the cons way, get the pictures, get autographs, getting all the details of filming , heard lots of crazy stories about many crazy people, including the fans. And yeah JDM has made statements he's open to the show, he said so a few times, they never asked. Not once. They didn't want him back, it wasn't the plan. He was suppose to be the bad dad, JDM however did such a damn good job people loved him. Once the character was dead they really did their best to say he was certainly an awful dad. That was the plan, that was the role, or it was suppose to be.

You think JDM wouldn't find time if asked? At all? Even for a one shot? He's a pretty good guy from all accounts, he doesn't let shit go to his head. But from his own words he was never asked, even after folks at SPN said he was too busy.

That meant one side was lying.

I'll go with JDM because I believe him to be more sincere on the matter than producers.

Article is article

JEFFREY DEAN MORGAN: I [recently] was in London with Jensen [Ackles] and Jared [Padalecki]. I absolutely would love to go back. I haven't been on the show for 10 years, and I get asked about it in every interview and every time I leave my house. I went and did a Supernatural convention, which I've always said no to. I went to Las Vegas and talked to 5,000 crazy-ass fans. The show has been on the air for 10 years now, and I haven't done it for 10 years. They want me back. I do this so that I can make people happy somehow. We do it for our fans, and that's got such a great fan base that, of course, I want to go back. And I would love to have some resolution for that character and his sons.

More importantly, Jensen, especially, is like a brother to me. I know he's my son on the show, but we've become very, very good friends. Jared, too, but Jensen is like the godfather of my son. Not officially, but he introduced me to Hilarie [Burton] and is a big part of my family, and Hilarie is best friends with his wife (Danneel Harris). So, we're together whether we want to be or not. For me, I think it would be so cool to go back and have him direct me. That would be great. I'm proud of them. They're my sons, and I do look at them in a fatherly way, even though Jensen is like my brother. I'm very proud of who they are as men. I think they've grown up unaffected by fame and this business, which can turn people into freaks and assholes. They're so well-grounded, and they're both family men, and they're honest and true. All the crap that we want out of people, those two guys are.

So, I'm proud of them and I would love to go back and work with them again, if the opportunity comes. But in saying that, I don't want it to be a forced deal. I want it to be natural, and I want it to make sense for the story. I would love for John Winchester to have some way to say goodbye, not only to his sons, but to the fan base who seems to be clamoring for him to come back. We'll see, but I hope. I can't say, ”I'll do the last year," because I don't see an end in sight. But I love them and I'd love to go do a good, solid arc. I don't want to just do a hit-and-run. I want to go back and do three, and really get into that world again. It would be great.

But yes.

HE'S TOO BUSY.

I'm pretty sure you made that up btw.

Kevin

Yeah I did find it kind of weird that JDM never came back onto the show when just about every other major character has at some point. I really do hope that we see him again by series end. Makes the most sense!

Media

I want Charlie back and I am aware that is minority opinion :(

Also:

FUCKING PLEASE

tumblr_inline_oi3yq0q9gG1t8hyrx_500.gif

I pray to Chuck, Amara, and Luci for him to become a reg. Please
Well that escalated quickly.

People start fighting in the supernatural thread, bring up Gabe. Derails fights and everyone is friends again.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wall of Crazy Shit

Okay, I'm not going to go back and forth with you as you're far too angry over something so silly. I won't be responding to you again here after this but you can PM me if you wish.

I'm going to point out that in that wall of text, you only focused on the "time to do the show" part and ignored the "story" aspect of it.

First, he IS a busy actor. This isn't really arguable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dean_Morgan#Filmography

He's done a number of movies and recurring stints on multiple TV shows. And don't you think that if the writers want to bring him back, it's going to be for more than a single cameo? If they bring John Winchester back, they're going to want it to be a legitimate arc with a purpose. Because the character is that damn important to the series.

Was he going to find the time to do an arc on Supernatural when he was the lead on Magic City for two seasons? When he was a main character in Watchmen and The Losers or filming the many other movies he's done since Watchmen? What about when he was main cast for the entire last seasons of both Extant and The Good Wife?

Second, the writers are on record saying they would have to have a good reason and story to do it. Not just "the fans want him back."

I don't doubt he would want to go back. But he IS a busy actor. Always has been. And they're not going to bring him back for another simple cameo. (Remember, they DID bring him back once after the second season: they had him do a voice over when a monster pretended to be John in season 3.)

But really, I wasn't arguing whether or not the producers have asked him to come back. They likely haven't. I was taking issue with your reasoning for it, which, yes, is something you made up.

You said the reason for it is that they didn't want him back because he became popular. That is baseless and that's what I was calling you out for. There is absolutely zero evidence that the producers of Supernatural bitterly refused to ask JDM back because he "got popular."

That's childish.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like people missed something important these past couple weeks. This week, it may have been because it happened during the Walking Dead shout out.

Look at the opening credits.

For the first time in the series, Mark Pellegrino was listed as main cast.

In fact, he appeared before Misha Collins.

Kevin

I feel like people missed something important these past couple weeks. This week, it may have been because it happened during the Walking Dead shout out.

That would be awesome if they are intending to bring Lucifer back in a big way. I mean you I doubt Crowley is going to be able to hold him for long...

ZeoVGM

Banned
That would be awesome if they are intending to bring Lucifer back in a big way. I mean you I doubt Crowley is going to be able to hold him for long...

I feel like this means they are.

Other than Jensen and Jared, only five actors have ever been listed as main cast: Katie Cassidy, Lauren Cohan, Misha Collins, Mark Sheppard and now Mark Pellegrino.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I want Spike and Cordelia back goddamit. Theyre still around right? They need to come back and show Rowena real witchcraft

I want them to come back as well. Though those two living was one of season 7's many issues.

Dean heartlessly killed Sam's friend Amy yet was cool with letting the murderous witches go like two episodes later.

The differences between series regular and recurring guest-star are minimal if we're talking about the number of episodes an actor is going to be in.

In fact a series regular can appear in less episodes than a special guest star. When Mark Sheppard was bumped to series regular, he said the main difference was that his contract now stipulated he couldn't appear on any other show during the season.

I imagine that for an actor like Pellegrino who gets role offers from fucking everywhere, it makes sense to put him as series regular to secure his appearance in several episodes in a row.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I want Charlie back and I am aware that is minority opinion :(

It actually isn't a minority opinion. Charlie was great and, in my opinion, the worst decision ever made by the writers.

She doesn't get a lot of love here on GAF but Charlie is one of the most popular characters on the show. Hell, she was the first character after Sam, Dean and Cas to get a Funko Pop, even before Bobby.

Also, watch how incredibly awkward the SDCC panel was when a fan asked about her death.

https://youtu.be/1BYjUTyoEP4?t=35m

Kevin

It actually isn't a minority opinion. Charlie was great and, in my opinion, the worst decision ever made by the writers.

She doesn't get a lot of love here on GAF but Charlie is one of the most popular characters on the show. Hell, she was the first character after Sam, Dean and Cas to get a Funko Pop, even before Bobby.

Also, watch how incredibly awkward the SDCC panel was when a fan asked about her death.

https://youtu.be/1BYjUTyoEP4?t=35m

I absolutely loved Charlie. However they did in-fact kill her character off because her episodes always saw major rating drops. Every time and it always disappointed me. Many fans refused to watch the episodes she was in which is lame. I am nearly certain that is why they killed her off.

However they did in-fact kill her character off because her episodes always saw major rating drops. Every time and it always disappointed me.

Um... got data to back that up ?

I've closely followed the show's ratings until last year and I don't remember such a pattern.

Also I don't remember anyone on cast/crew confirming or even hinting at this.

Her death was one of the most embarrassing moments ever on the show. Just trash television.

Kevin

Um... got data to back that up ?

I've closely followed the show's ratings until last year and I don't remember such a pattern.

Also I don't remember anyone on cast/crew confirming or even hinting at this.

Her death was one of the most embarrassing moments ever on the show. Just trash television.

I use to post about it along with the ratings drops in some of the other season threads. If you can find an episode rating guide and correlate between which episodes she was in, you'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom