• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep Season 2 - Armando Iannuci/Julia Louis Dreyfus - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeitgeist

Excellent premiere. Loads of quoatble lines. Veep makes me wish I could be as verbally abusive as the characters without getting punched in the throat.

That being said, Kevin Dunn is looking extremely rough. Barely recognized him.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Amazing first episode. Might be my favorite episode of the entire show but I say that almost every episode, lol.

Gary Cole is an AMAZING addition. He's such a great deadpan, and Julia's such a doofus, that all their interactions are basically guaranteed to be solid gold.

This is one of the few shows to where I've consistently lost count of how many times I've burst out laughing each episode.

Andrex Rating™: A

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fantastic return and definitely in stronger form. Gary Cole is such a great addition to this show, really looking forward to him being on it.

Iannuci's way with language is so fucking brilliant. There's almost too much amazingly quotable material.

- The president called!

- the lipstick-carpet smearing had me dying. "you're tracking, you're tracking it!" As did Gary's usual constant Selina smothering.

"You work for the vice president of the united states, it's not like you work for google."

"You have three kids from two different fathers, maybe your last word should have been no."

^ Highlight quote of the episode for me. Although maybe my favorite moment was Amy's puzzled look after Gary's girlfriend told her she missed out.
KuGsj.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
"Pol Pot of pie charts" was my favorite line of the night, but Amy's retort to her sister was a deep fucking burn.

And Jonah making dick sucking faces...!ill need to make a few gifs tomorrow morning.

royalan

"Pol Pot of pie charts" was my favorite line of the night, but Amy's retort to her sister was a deep fucking burn.

And Jonah making dick sucking faces...!ill need to make a few gifs tomorrow morning.

Pretty much everything Jonah had me cracking up tonight.

wenis

Oh and Mike with his fucking boat... I hope that shit pops up again. This show feels like a live action Archer at times.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

tumblr_ml9fb866zM1s7gnr1o1_400.gif

tumblr_ml9f9msSAD1s7gnr1o1_400.gif

Bladenic

I think I need a rewatch tomorrow when I'm not tired since everyone seems to be loving it. It's like, the stuff was funny but I didn't laugh much. I'm not worried though, the first few episodes of S1 didn't have me dying but then around episode 3 or 4 it became a non-stop laugh riot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"What format do you want these in? Excel, graphs..."

"Umm, English?"

"...Is that a racist joke?"

"...Yes."

The snippets from each stump speech meshing together to form a story about Selina's AIDS-riddled, firefighting grandfather at a dance studio was great

inm8num2

Just like most of the first season, tonight's episode was good but not great.

Yea it's a good show and consistently entertaining but not a great one. And that's not a bad thing.

The dialogue is clever and fast-paced, but sometimes I wonder if people really are that fast with their witty retorts and insults to one another. They're almost too good at it. Maybe they're all jaded, cynical assholes?

wenis

Just go over to the newsroom thread... That was argued to death then beat with its own limbs.

Consensus ended up being that these people live fast paced lives in stressful jobs are highly educated and spend so much time e with each other they basically have learned each other in and out from a communication stand point.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Oh wow did not realise this was back this soon. I swear I heard from Iannucci that it was months away what felt like a week or so ago. Great news. Need me some Armando.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Very good premiere. I fucking love this show.

Some of my favorite lines:

"My mom just called, and my dad my have just had a stroke."

"Oh my god, Amy, I'm so sorry. Is he speaking?"

"Well, uh, he told my mom that he felt worse that time he ate gayjaprawfishshit."

"Oh Amy that's a great sign! Because that's a very complex sentence."

~

"Oh my god Amy, you work for the Vice President, it's not like it's Google."

~

"You have three kids by two different guys, maybe your last word should've been 'no'."

Fucking ICE burn. gotdamn

"You have three kids by two different guys, maybe your last word should've been 'no'."

Fucking ICE burn. gotdamn
Yeah, I loved that line as well as Sue's "Mariam, listen very closely: you have as much chance of getting the Vice President on your show as you have of getting your husband to leave that cheerleader."

Good stuff. I'm going to rewatch at some point because I missed a bit of dialogue here and there because it flows so quickly. Some great lines, as always.

Dachande

I was pissing myself laughing at the lipstick scene in the Oval Office, with
Gary wiping the underside of Selina's shoes like she was a child
. Amazing first episode, I thought.

Pand

Great episode, I'm glad this show is back. Good to see my man Kumail Nanjiani getting some love as well.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Thought it was a really great episode. Season 1 started off pretty slowly and built up some good momentum, seemingly as it grew in confidence. This has just continued that momentum. The cast additions were really great so far.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Much better than last season already - the "geek/quant" room was just glorious, particularly the guy with the eyebrows.

Soule

These are so fucking good, when someone linked the tumblr earlier as soon as I saw them I was about to post them in here just because they're fucking great but happy to see I was beaaten. Really liking this, I only watched season 1 like a month ago so great to have new content so soon.

I feel like they really bumped up the physical comedy in the premiere, which wasn't something that was featured as much last season as I remember it. Gary trying to wipe Selina's shoe, all of the facial expressions from Selina, Jonah's pantomime, Gary Cole getting hit in the eye, etc...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah the physical stuff is great so far. Really livened the entire episode up and made everything feel blazing whereas the early eps kind just meandered along. Really tightening up the already rapid-fire jokes.

"Let's wind back a bit." -Mike

"Yes." -Selina

"You're saying Kent Davison is bad?" -Mike

"..." -Selina

*reels in everyone but Mike*

"Alright, I have a very strong feeling that Kent is going to get in between me and POTUS like some sort of thick-rubber condom, and I have got to have..." -Selina

"...Unprotected." -Gary

"-unprotected access to the Oval Office." -Selina

"Well Amy you were on the campaign trail with him, how do we pop him?" -Dan

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Oh my God I look so old." -Selina

"Nooaunh" -Gary

"...What is that reaction?" -Selina

wenis

No one else loved Pol Pot of Pie charts?!
KuGsj.gif

thats some wonderful play of words right there, the image in my head is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom