• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2014 |OT| Best Sport on Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the greatest matches I have ever seen.

When Federer got the 4th set I was going crazy. I ain't even mad he lost though. Both players played spectacularly.

I loved how Federer said I'll be back. Legend.

MIMIC

Banned
The only thing worse is Monfils-Simon. These matchups are horrible.

Yep.

Drop everything when a Simon vs. Monfils match is on though.

Instant classics.

UxUnORi.gif

bud23

Quite a lot changes.

1. Novak Djokovic 13.130 (+1)
2. Rafael Nadal 12.670 (-1)
3. Roger Federer 6.100 (+1)
4. Stan Wawrinka 5.770 (-1)
5. Tomas Berdych 4.410 (+1)
6. Milos Raonic 3.920 (+3)
7. David Ferrer 3.875
8. Juan Martin del Potro 3.360
9. Grigor Dimitrov 3.270 (+4)
10. Andy Murray 3.040 (-5)
11. Kei Nishikori 2.780 (+1)
12. John Isner 2.735 (-1)
13. Ernests Gulbis 2.680 (-3)
14. Richard Gasquet 2.370
15. Fabio Fognini 2.245

tumblr_m6uv25ZHhx1r6y4dfo1_500.gif

Nintyb

Banned
Very disappointed that Federer didn't pull out the win but he has nothing to be ashamed of from his play. Always an absolute delight to watch the master at work, win or lose.

Bring on the US Open.

MIMIC

Banned
That was amazing.

I know Coldnoodle was kidding, but it's the fact that they both acknowledged Monfils-Simon was hilarious.

Personally, I don't think I've ever seen a Monfils-Simon match. Dunno how I've managed to miss them play. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones ^_^

MIMIC

Banned
I remember watching that rally for the first time on YouTube; don't think I saw it live.

But back to Fed and Novak: I think this match was very encouraging for both players. Novak, for obvious reasons, and Federer for the simple reason that he is still capable of making slam finals.

88random

This is one of the most hartbreaking losses I have ever experienced :(
Masterful comeback from Fed in the 4th set but he couldn't do more. But I gotta give it to Nole, he was just better today.
I really hope Fed will be able to get it together once more, he deserves another GS.

I wouldn't be a fan of Roger's if I wasn't happy when he won and sad when he lost. To me, that's what it means to be a fan.

I can sympathize with that. Emotions when you're watching your favorite player definitely run high.

For me I haven't had that feeling tennis wise on the men's side since the Agassi days. I watch more as a fan of the sport + rooting for great matches + or what would make things more interesting than for any one particular player.

I did get caught up w/ Roddick in 03-04 + 09 Wimbledon's though.

Fed definitely showed something in this slam though. His 2014 is far better than 2013 + if he keeps this level, he's going to get more chances this yr and next. Certainly could get a Wimbledon on the next 2 yrs before he finally hangs it up.

you should check out the 2008 federer vs. nadal final. greatest game of sports i've ever seen.

It was memorable, and had the most drama, but hardly the best level of tennis. If you take away the drama factor, the highest level of tennis in a GS final I've ever seen was Djokovic v. Nadal in the Australian Open 2012. Watch it.

In that famous tiebreak of Wim 08, the passing shot to set-up Match point by Nadal and the backhand passing shot by Fed. immediatly after to save it are the 2 best shots in a row ever imo.

Also, don't forget the semi 9-7 in the 5th of RG between Nadal and Djokovic and that semi between Verdasco and Nadal at the AO. DelPo beating Fed in the US final was also some superb quality of tennis. There have been so many great tennis matches last decade.

If Federer hadn't been so eager to get to the net he could've won.

Hell, he could've won if his serve hadn't gone to shit at the end there.

Great match though. It was really close.

That match had unbelievable level of tennis, some of my friends who don't even watch tennis were hooked after the first set. It's one of my top 10 matches for sure, too bad it finished with a double fault.

I don't think if I've ever seen a guy more pumped up on adrenaline during a match than I did with Verdasco in that one.

agrajag

Banned

I still think Edberg's coaching is the reason behind Federer rushing the net all the time. That's not his usual style of play. They should work on setting up those volleys more.

Tekniqs

wait wtf...has this ever been posted before on any gaf thread? I could have sworn I've read this before about another Federer match.

On another note...it's quite amazing that Federer is still that hungry for wins even though he's won so many already.

In that famous tiebreak of Wim 08, the passing shot to set-up Match point by Nadal and the backhand passing shot by Fed. immediatly after to save it are the 2 best shots in a row ever imo.

Also, don't forget the semi 9-7 in the 5th of RG between Nadal and Djokovic and that semi between Verdasco and Nadal at the AO. DelPo beating Fed in the US final was also some superb quality of tennis. There have been so many great tennis matches last decade.

Yep those two passing shots were incredible, best 2 points back to back I can remember. So clutch from both Nadal + Fed to come up w/ those insane passing shots.

Nadal/Djokovic 2013 FO Open final was pretty great, definitely the best FO final of the last decade, though there were portions during that match where it felt like neither guy played super high level. Dramatic for sure. Feel like if Djokovic would've won, would've elevated it even more, stopping Nadal's streak of dominance, his first FO. Ala Rafa stopping Fed in 08 + getting his first Wimbledon.

I never had the pleasure of seeing Verdasco/Nadal Aussie Open all the way through live. It was on early in the morning I remember + I caught some of the replay. Incredible stuff. My Dad still talks about how incredible that match was. One of the best tennis matches he's ever seen, as high quality as he can remember.

I still think Edberg's coaching is the reason behind Federer rushing the net all the time. That's not his usual style of play. They should work on setting up those volleys more.

Yeah, I mean if he was playing anyone not in the top 4 they would've worked, but Djokovic hit some great passing shots.

Faith

Nadal/Djokovic 2013 FO Open final was pretty great, definitely the best FO final of the last decade, though there were portions during that match where it felt like neither guy played super high level. Dramatic for sure. Feel like if Djokovic would've won, would've elevated it even more, stopping Nadal's streak of dominance, his first FO. Ala Rafa stopping Fed in 08 + getting his first Wimbledon.
Semifinal. But yes Djokovic would have smashed Ferrer 3:0 too.

Faith

1. Novak Djokovic 13.130 (+1)
2. Rafael Nadal 12.670 (-1)
3. Roger Federer 6.100 (+1)
4. Stan Wawrinka 5.770 (-1)
5. Tomas Berdych 4.410 (+1)
6. Milos Raonic 3.920 (+3)
7. David Ferrer 3.875
8. Juan Martin del Potro 3.360
9. Grigor Dimitrov 3.270 (+4)
11. Kei Nishikori 2.780 (+1)
12. John Isner 2.735 (-1)
13. Ernests Gulbis 2.680 (-3)
14. Richard Gasquet 2.370
15. Fabio Fognini 2.245
16. Jo -Wilfred Tsonga 1.910 (+1)
17. Kevin Anderson 1.835 (+1)
18. Tommy Robredo 1.720 (+4)
19. Alexandr Dolgopolov 1.680
20. Marin Cilic 1.665 (+9)
21. Gael Monfils 1.660
22. Mikhail Youzhny 1.655 (-6)
23. Roberto Bautista Agut 1.625
24. Feliciano Lopez 1.545 (+2)
25. Tommy Haas 1.475 (-5)
66. Nick Kyrgios 760 (+78)
I extended my list :p

Bigfoot

At this point I'm curious, does Murray really deserve to be a part of the Big 4? I think when people look back on this era, it will be the Big 3 (Nadal, Federer and Djokovic) that come to mind.
Probably not. At this time, his career isn't much better than Safin's, Hewitt's, or Roddick's.

So is it basically just the extra Unforced Errors that have made Fed so vulnerable this last half decade?

It's not the fitness, since he moves around the court as good as ever still.
It's not his reaction time/reflexes, since the volleys he pulls off are sometimes just pure catlike reflexes.
It's not his serve, since he still managed 30 aces against one of the all time great returners.
He's slower now. Watch old highlights.

By proxy of the above, he is also less agile and his net play is not as solid as it once was. His play in the second half of the fourth set used to be his normal when he was in his prime.

He's also serving slightly slower than he did in his prime. Overall he just looks older. Nothing he can really do.

Honestly I would have been gutted had he lost 6-2 in the 4th, but that gutty comeback was just phenomenal to watch. I sadly had to miss the 5th set so I didn't see how close it was but I'm just happy that he's still out there competing with the best. Djoker did outplay him overall so I'm not bitter about the result.

leng jai

The better player won, it would have been ridiculous if Federer managed to steal that. It's sad seeing how pedestrian his forehand looks now even on grass. His ground game was insipid in the three sets and he only started hitting with purpose when he was down a break in the fourth and had no choice. Were he not serving from a tree today he'd have been lucky to get to double digits in games. That smash at 4-4 0-15 will be haunting him and his fans for a while, a truly decisive error.

Has anyone gif-ed that hilariously terrible gold fish blowing celebration from Djokovic when he broke in the fourth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom