• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2014 |OT| Best Sport on Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Well played Novak. Deserved in the end. And Fed still getting to GS finals at his age, still having the hunger after everything he's won, incredible too.

Men's tennis is so good right now. Just need some of the younglings to make steps up.

agrajag

Banned
Some idiotic posts in this thread. "Federer played horribly." "Worst demolition I've seen." Djokovic barely won, Djokovic was up by only six points total. Both players got broken a bunch of times. Two sets were tiebreakers. This is the definition of a competitive game.

Some seriously shitty posts/trolls in this thread.

Kraftwerk

Some idiotic posts in this thread. "Federer played horribly." "Worst demolition I've seen." Djokovic barely won, Djokovic was up by only six points total. Both players got broken a bunch of times. Two sets were tiebreakers. This is the definition of a competitive game.

Yeah.

MIMIC

Banned
Well played Novak. Deserved in the end. And Fed still getting to GS finals at his age, still having the hunger after everything he's won, incredible too.

Men's tennis is so good right now. Just need some of the younglings to make steps up.

When he won #16 back in 2012, I said he would win 2 more before he retires.

I still think he'll win another one, and after today, I'm *this* close to saying 19 overall.

zero_suit

Dmitrov is almost there.

agrajag

Banned
That was moving like shit on the court. Novak didn't play good tennis. Fed just can't help himself from choking away his chances.

Are you new to the sport? When both players are closely matched, it will never be a pretty game. Guess what, they were both better than every other player that participated in the tournament. That's why they got through to the final.

zero_suit

The person I was replying to was talking about the women's final...

John Dunbar

correct about everything
federer really should have delivered a finishing blow early in the fifth, but all in all it was a good tournament. hopefully federer can still contend at the us open, so we won't have another robredo incident.

There's also no logical reason to think Federer played horrible tennis today, and yet, here we are.

Fed in my opinion played horrible. That 5th set is what I based my opinion. He was horrible, rushing the net on horrible setup shots, he was horrible from the baseline as well. How can he compete today when the game is so baseline dominant and be so bad at it. He was pushing the ball back at Novak, not trying to win any points and just hoping for Novak to make errors. From the baseline he didn't looked any different than having a warmup, that's how comfortable Novak looked against him.

Tookay

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the same person can be blamed for both this loss and the loss to nadal at australian open: grigor dimitrov. that wanker needs to learn how to win his matches.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Fed in my opinion played horrible. That 5th set is what I based my opinion. He was horrible, rushing the net on horrible setup shots, he was horrible from the baseline as well. How can he compete today when the game is so baseline dominant and be so bad at it. He was pushing the ball back at Novak, not trying to win any points and just hoping for Novak to make errors. From the baseline he looked any different than having a warmup, that's how comfortable Novak looked against him.

So ignore the other four sets and take a handful of points and come to a conclusion, gotcha. In that case, you're absolutely right.

As much as I rooted for Fed to win this one, it was absolutely fantastic to see Djokovic adjusting and reacting to Fed's 1st serves after his first 25 aces or so. That was some all time great returning those last couple of sets.

LuuKyK

It was brilliant final between two players I love. Can't complain about that. A very good Wimbledon overall.

I just wish the WTA had a better final and Maria didnt lose to Kerber earlier in the tournament. But seeing Genie get in the final was already pretty good. Onto the US Open series. Can't wait.

MIMIC

Banned
And for the most bizarre stat in history:

Djokovic has two grass titles. Both of them are Wimbledons
Djokovic has NINE clay titles. None of them are French Opens

dafuq

agrajag

Banned
Djokovic being confident is good for tennis though, so I can't even be that mad. Him playing well will elevate everyone's game.

One of the best matches I have seen - absolutely great athleticism from both players and a lot of decisive moments. I think that Federer made a few to many critical errors but Djokovic had difficulty converting crucial points. I am happy to have the game go to five sets - especially so when so much of the match seemed like a nail biting power struggle. I would have liked to see Feds win, but he came out with a weaker service game and Djokovic was able to make use of that.

Congratulations #1 on reclaiming these titles, and on being a Dad. Great game Feds, way to prove that 32 isn't too old to be a legitimate threat, and I hope to see you on centre court next year. Good luck to both at the US.

And for the most bizarre stat in history:

Djokovic has two grass titles. Both of them are Wimbledons
Djokovic has NINE clay titles. None of them are French Opens

dafuq

Nadal in a five setter on clay = unbeatable*

*Unless you're Soderling ;_;

Come back Robin

Saty

Very tight match, pretty match every set could have went either way. The key in my mind is that Federer wasn't able to keep his foot on the pedal after the momentum swung to him. Novak again showing he's most dangerous when he's down or discouraged and you have to keep pushing and not rest or expect Novak is going to dwell on the bad.

Fed took the first set - got broken early in the second. Federer got back in the 3rd set tie-break with hawk-eye point but immediately got mini-broken again. Even in the great comback in the 4th the first time he broken Novak, he got broken straight away. And in the start of the 5th Novak seemed in some discomfort due to his leg and wasn't moving that well, so he had to something early or just after the medical timeout because Novak was getting over the injury\handling it.

Now he knows how roddick felt in 2009. Oh wait, he can just dry his tears with his 7 other Wimbledon championship trophies. Roddick never won one

That Roddick loss gutted me and I was never a die hard Roddick fan (Agassi for me), but man oh man at Wimbledon I felt for him.

That 04 Wimbledon final where Roddick won the first set, up a break in the set, blows the 2nd set, rain delay comes, and Fed comes out and smokes him in 4.

Then 09.....Roddick easily played the match of his life.
Up a set, has a set point in the 2nd set tiebreak...........that high back handed volley, right there on his racket...........GAH, I can still see that shot.

Yet what was amazing about Roddick that day, that point was the ONLY point in that 5 set thriller where I felt he blinked. Where he felt the nerves.

He showed great mental toughness battling back and winning the 4th set to force a 5th.

Then in the 5th, he has to serve from behind each game, always harder, but again he doesn't blink. He even had a 15-40 on Fed's serve but Fed came up w/ 2 huge first serves. Clutch stuff.

To lose 16-14, damn, I would've felt like Roddick's career would've been complete w/ that 09 Wimbledon. An 03 US Open + 09 Wimbledon, for a guy who only had a big first serve + big forehand, but a really weak backhand for a top ten player + never developed much of a serve volley game. And he played in the toughest era arguably w/ prime Fed + prime Nadal + prime Djokovic. Yes he was the great American hype post Sampras + Agassi and he was never talented enough to live up to that.

But damn would've been so well earned had he gotten that 09 Wimbledon final. As big an Agassi fan as I am, if I could change one match's result from both players, I'd pick the 09 Wimbledon final for Roddick.

So ignore the other four sets and take a handful of points and come to a conclusion, gotcha. In that case, you're absolutely right.
Nope. I'm not ignoring anything. I only saw the 5th set, thus that's all I can base my opinion on. By the way Novak didn't even play well and was moving horrible as well in that set.

zroid

Banned
Br4LVFTCAAEai-I.png

I only saw the 5th set

to the surprise of no one

So is it basically just the extra Unforced Errors that have made Fed so vulnerable this last half decade?

It's not the fitness, since he moves around the court as good as ever still.
It's not his reaction time/reflexes, since the volleys he pulls off are sometimes just pure catlike reflexes.
It's not his serve, since he still managed 30 aces against one of the all time great returners.

??

Federer played extremely well at the beginning of the 5th. In fact I was sure he would win. It was only his last 2 service games that his form got sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom