• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up LAN Party Podcast 12/3/08 (featuring Chuff Love's Gamestop Girl)

Barrett2

Micromegas said:
I think people just need to come to grips with the simple fact that the golden-age of 1up podcasts is behind us.

*throws iPod off mountain cliff and gazes reflectively into the sunset*

ghst said:
i'm not sure it was pure complexity that deterred the nubs, as much as it was this complexity combined with the thin, unresponsive gunplay. this was also a problem with the original ET, but given it's relative simplicity and price, the problem remained isolated in many peoples minds against the game's superior meta design.

compare this to something like FEAR combat. that game brought nothing new to the table whatsoever. modified sp maps and generic and vanilla game modes made for an extremely unimaginative multi player experience. yet i still played this shit out of this, purely due to the gratifying nature of the weapons and the damage model.

i really hope splash damage have picked up on this and get another try at it, because their progressive thinking is paramount in a self aping genre right now - and goddamn, i really wanted to like quake wars.

and even if an accessible, streamlined experience is the ultimate goal; there would be no tf2 without tfc.
Yeah you have a point there, though again, the more I played the more I learned to appreciate how the weapons worked. There's also a distinct lack of eye-candy about it and most of it is compensations to make the core gameplay better, like how there are no ragdolls and such. I don't really care about that since I play "lego Quake" anyway.

And yeah I also played FEAR Combat a ton when that came out, it was a one trick pony but what it did it did really well. Duking it out with someone using both grenades, assault rifles and melee moves simultaneously was extremely fun, even though lag made it very unpredictable in close quarters. And usually a game that is as fast as FEAR combat was don't rely as heavily on headshots as that one did, which made it even more fun for me.

wmat said:
Idle Thumbs isn't half bad. Just jumped on the bandwagon.
Yeah, that one shows a lot of promise already.
Do they still waste the first 20 minutes talking about food and drinks? If so, I'm still out... I will c/o Gamer's w/ Jobs though.
No sir, you should give it another try, preferably last weeks episode.

Grecco

Micromegas said:
Do they still waste the first 20 minutes talking about food and drinks? If so, I'm still out... I will c/o Gamer's w/ Jobs though.

Instead of Candy and Lost?

anyways they havent had drinks on GB for weeks. (I liked the drinktalk)

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Hmmmm...

This one was a bit boring. I imagine, this Jade is feeling akward as its early in her podcasting career.
That said, a lack of Robert made it less funny.

As for general discussion, I like Anthony, Ryan and Robert just fine. I think Alice is funny and brings some humor to the table. Tina is okay. I groan whenever she mentions CoD, but my main annoyance is just that she doesn't like games for the same reason that I like games. It's not her fault, but it rubs methe wrong way when someone goes on about how great a game is just because its gory or whatever.

Don't get me started on Garnett...

Shawn was the man, but the earth continues to spin. I think it will hit its stride over time.

Man, after listening to this I've gotta say I agree with the general sentiment of dissapointment in here. Oddly enough, Gamestop girl was one of the show's saving graces, and, not to be a dick, but the only one of the three chicks I'd really be interested in hearing more from on this podcast--provided she starts playing PC stuff! Seriously, when SC2 and D3 are the only things that can be scratched up for anticipated PC games--well, I might as well turn on 1UP Yours at that point.

What I'd like to see from future Lan Parties is Anthony, Ryan, Bobito, Matt, and possibly Gamestop girl as the cast, a greater focus on PC games, and at least a more interesting analysis of console games if you're going to discuss them (one thing the Brodeo of old always did--kept tangents interesting and meaningful!) I'm not going to write this podcast off or anything and am optimistic about where it could go...but that said its defintely a long way from the Brodeo's former spot at the peak of my podcast mountain.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
fps fanatic said:
Mindlog, that was deep. Any other clips or resources you can recommend me? This sort of stuff fascinates me...
Read Eco. Much better than this fastfood.

Drewsy

Banned
no one at this company is likable. in fact fact they are unbearable nerds

i hope you read this matt chondriat or whatever your name is

Mar

Grecco said:
It isnt as simple as well were getting it for free we shouldnt complain.

That wasn't what I said at all. And you certainly can criticize something that is free, and should be encouraged to do so.

vissione said:
You guys need less autistic women in your podcasts...

This is the kind of shit I was referring to. It's just an embarrassing statement for the writer and everyone who is unfortunate enough to read it.

Drewsy said:
1up still exists?

why does neogaf like 1up so much?

u mad?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
fps fanatic said:
I'll look into it. Thanks ;)
Let me recommend to you Foucault's Pendulum. Doesn't have anything to do with WTC, but it's a great novel in any case.

And The Name Of The Rose you might have seen on TV, the book is better (although the movie is REALLY good at times).

The WTC conspiracy theory market is cluttered with crap, I honestly doubt there's any quality stuff there.

DustoMan

Banned
miyamotofreak said:
Yup, she was the one who pushed 1Up into podcasting as far as I know and cocreated the 1up Show. She has a pretty good blog (game girl advance) and she also does the 1up theme. I don't know about Gametap. That may be someone else.

Oh! She's XNA Community Games's new manager.

No_Style

I hope they inject a large amount of PC talk next time. It's not like there's a complete PC gaming drought. Talk about Valve's latest reveal of sales info, the state of Battlefield Heroes or some in-depth L4D custom maps.

Does 1UP even have a dedicated PC editor anymore? That's what this podcast lacks the most, a person who "lived and breathed PC games from AAA to mods to freeware.".

Chufmoney

Neo Member
Thanks for all the intelligent criticism. The bottom line is we haven't been as prepared as we should have, and because the week we recorded that was a holiday week, we were down both Matt and Robert. We had to kind of throw together a show in the last minute, and then we had to figure out something we could all talk about semi-coherently.

In the future we definitely are trying to have more planned out parts. It'll still not be segmented, but we're working on coherence -- playing games together and the like.

I promise things won't always be so crazy. We could have just recorded nothing -- and perhaps we should have -- but we were just in a rush and it showed. Don't give up on us yet!

No_Style

Chufmoney said:
I promise things won't always be so crazy. We could have just recorded nothing -- and perhaps we should have -- but we were just in a rush and it showed. Don't give up on us yet!

I haven't given up. I got nothing else to listen to at work. :D

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Chufmoney said:
Thanks for all the intelligent criticism. The bottom line is we haven't been as prepared as we should have, and because the week we recorded that was a holiday week, we were down both Matt and Robert. We had to kind of throw together a show in the last minute, and then we had to figure out something we could all talk about semi-coherently.

In the future we definitely are trying to have more planned out parts. It'll still not be segmented, but we're working on coherence -- playing games together and the like.

Nobody's perfect.

Johnkers

Chufmoney said:

Nice. It's always good when you guys sift through the bullshit and actually accept some criticism rather then throwing out the "well if you don't like it don't listen!" line. Looking forward to seeing the direction you head

I've only read the first couple of pages so far, but I can't believe some of these responses. What the fuck is the matter with you people? It's like it's the 1UP goddamned soap opera hour every time they release a podcast around here.

I for one didn't hear too much of a difference between this episode of LAN Party and prior ones, save the lack of Robert Ashley and Matt. Tina is cool, Alice is cool, Jade is probably cool too, though she didn't seem to talk much here.

You people still banana rydin' Black Dragon and Shawn Elliot and crying that this lineup 'just isn't the same' need to realize that this isn't Grey's fucking Anatomy the radio show and that in real life, people move on to other jobs, high school ends, college ends, friends come and go, and life moves on. And then shut the hell up.

For my money (if I was paying) LAN party is worth the price of admission. Just the fact that these people are all in the same room automatically puts the discussion and chemistry miles above most skyped podcasts.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
not the best of episodes, but once matt and robert are back with some pc knowledge to be dropped that's gonna be fix'd. Ryan with his street fighter 2 'play to win' needs to be called out on the basis of Akuma being in that game. somethings that are in the game are just unbalanced and the community needs to take steps to balance it. Now, with patches that isn't as necessary though.

But idle thumbs, gamers with jobs and giant bomb have filled the hole that gfw left, so this one doesn't need to be that.

Mar

Brobzoid said:
But idle thumbs, gamers with jobs and giant bomb have filled the hole that gfw left, so this one doesn't need to be that.

Listened to Giant Bomb for the first time this morning. It's really good.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Mar_ said:
fantastic chemistry and every member of that crew brings something to the table. which is quite uncommon, actually.

Grecco

the teenaholic blog is just as creepy as the loveshanehateshane blog. Nobody talked about that one as much though

Mar_ said:

I'll check an episode out

The only GWJ episode I heard was with Shawn and not trying to rag on the guys or anything, well, either group of guys...but you could have told me I was listening to the Player One Podcast and I couldn't tell the difference.

eznark

Banned
fps fanatic said:
Thank you. Will watch...

David Icke's Matrix conspiracy documentaries are also hilariously awesome. If you're willing to believe the other shit linked you'll have no problem laughing at the Lizard conspiracy (hint, W and Blair are shape shifting lizard men).

Grecco

Linkzg said:
I'll check an episode out

The only GWJ episode I heard was with Shawn and not trying to rag on the guys or anything, well, either group of guys...but you could have told me I was listening to the Player One Podcast and I couldn't tell the difference.

player one doesnt go into the subjets the guys at gwj go into.

Top Bottom