• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European special edition of Metroid: Samus Returns fully revealed

And minus the objectively superior second screen UI giving you extra buttons and constant map and a clean gameplay screen.

We don't know yet.

The second screen shit has been meaningless since the original DS. You’re not looking at two screens at once, pressing a button to bring up a map is not an issue. It’s one of those token DS features that mean nothing.

budpikmin

New cover!
screenshot2017-08-23ailszq.png

11496790-203449619014qys5v.jpg

?? The old version was much nicer

TheMoon

The second screen shit has been meaningless since the original DS. You’re not looking at two screens at once, pressing a button to bring up a map is not an issue. It’s one of those token DS features that mean nothing.

Feel free to live in this sad little corner of being completely wrong. :D

I’m not buying it because it’s on 3DS too.

It’s depressing. Hopefully it ends up on Switch like it should have been in the first place.

Bears repeating:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=247739018

From a logic stand point why is this for 3DS for the time being:
  • Larger user base at a more accesible price with the 3DS platform.
  • Project was in development substantially before the Switch was out, maybe back to 2015?
  • The Switch is still supply constrained and Nintendo expects this issues to continue even past hollyday season.
  • There's nothing that prevents an eventual port happening for the Switch.
If you announce and release the game for both platforms at the same time there's the chance that the game's performance is trunkated on the 3DS and that it doesn't reach it's full sales potential on the Switch due to supply constraints.

And eventual port can totally be in the cards. And it makes sense to announce when it has had enough time to stretch it's legs on the 3DS and when the Switch reaches higher sales numbers. There's also the benefit that with extra time the potential Switch version to get some enhancements beyond doing the exact same game just in a higher resolution.

Is not wise to reach definitive conclusions on things that we don't understand in the first place. i wonder if i should make a thread explaining the Dual Screen concept more than a decade after it's inception. Then i think how it will fall to deaf ears and restrain from it.

Following your logic, developers shouldn't include mini maps or other HUD items on a large TV screen because the user has to shift the eyesight to read them. It's the same with the DS systems.

Some benefits of the more generic uses of Dual Screens:
  • 1. Virtual Shortcut buttons and dynamic UIs.
  • 2. Improved game readability. A virtual button iconography always reflect it's function. For certain genres a touch screen works better as way to interact.
    3. In relation to point 2. and specifically for 3DS case. Since touching the screen would interfere with the stereoscopic 3D effect, having the touch interface duties on a seperate screen makes sense.
  • 4. More efficient use of screen space. Since portable devices have more limitations of diplay area, moving UI elements to the subscreen frees up the Main Sceen for gameplay purposes. The result is that more information is been displayed both for the game and UI elements.
  • 5. Related to point 4. Since more information is been displayed at a given moment, the user saves time by eliminating extra button press to bring up things like a map, switch items or navigate menus for example.
  • 6. Packing larger screen surface in less space. Back in 2004 foldable screens weren't available. im not sure if that type of screen is available in a commercial product in 2017 either.
There are moer things to explain but the post got long and probably it won't be read anyways. XD

For what little i' ve seen of Samus Returns, you get 3 easy to acces virtual buttons that with familiarity you won't need to see the screen to use. A perpetual map and various menu shortcuts (i think?): Eon abilities, pin placement. These things make things more snappy. The 3D Screen is free from most UI elements.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do GAME orders of this get the 3DS case they are now advertising on the product page even if they were made before said promotion?

The second screen shit has been meaningless since the original DS. You're not looking at two screens at once, pressing a button to bring up a map is not an issue. It's one of those token DS features that mean nothing.

Speak for yourself.

Do GAME orders of this get the 3DS case they are now advertising on the product page even if they were made before said promotion?

Game preorder bonuses are typically retroactive, yes.

fester

Banned

Hold on a second, guys, I need to remove the second monitor from my desk because I just found out I can only look at one thing at a time and that two screens are completely pointless. The last 10 years of believing I was getting something out of it turns out to have been a lie.

The person above says preorder bonuses typically apply retroactively to GAME UK preorders, so it should be. It's also listed on the page for the legacy edition.

The only reason it might not be with the legacy edition is them being cheeky (It says it comes with orders of Metroid: Samus returns and not Metroid: Samus returns: Legacy edition), but if it turns out it doesn't come with it, I imagine if you kicked up a fuss at launch, you could convince them to send you one for free anyway. (Managed that way back when with the xenoblade posters way back when they advertised for a little bit, then decided they were an instore only bonus)

Shiggy

The only reason it might not be with the legacy edition is them being cheeky (It says it comes with orders of Metroid: Samus returns and not Metroid: Samus returns: Legacy edition), but if it turns out it doesn't come with it, I imagine if you kicked up a fuss at launch, you could convince them to send you one for free anyway. (Managed that way back when with the xenoblade posters way back when they advertised for a little bit, then decided they were an instore only bonus)

That would be super deceiving. I took a screenshot just in case.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Don't always count on that though. GAME can pull the "we ran out of stock" excuse like they did to me with their Zelda poster and keyring.

Prisoner

The more I think about it the more I realise I don't want a want a steelbook, or a pin badge, or a keyring, or that CD. I definitely don't need a 3DS case.

The artbook could be good, though... (any pics out there?)

I'm still excited for the game, and that squishy metroid will be my first amiibo.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The more I think about it the more I realise I don't want a want a steelbook, or a pin badge, or a keyring, or that CD. I definitely don't need a 3DS case.

The artbook could be good, though... (any pics out there?)

I'm still excited for the game, and that squishy metroid will be my first amiibo.

Just buy the regular edition and save yourself £20.

Think of that as the money that you put towards the Amiibo.

Nintendo Aus are gonna get real sick of me commenting on their Facebook posts calling them jerks for not giving NZ/Aus this special edition.

Maybe they should have not been jerks then. :'(

My order through Nintendo UK wasn’t cancelled, it just disappeared. I have the confirmation email but there’s no order showing up under my account history on the site. WTF

BigFred

Neo Member
Hello everyone,

it takes a bit to register here but I finally managed to get an account.

For those who are still searching you might want to check

https://www.games2game.at/-0-55/Spiele/metroid-samus-returns-legacy-edition-deutsch-at-pegi-3ds.html

Not open for preorder yet. Unfortunately they only send to select countries.

https://www.alzashop.com/metroid-samus-returns-legacy-edition-nintendo-3ds-d5023532.htm?o=5

You can use the button to add to your watchlist - no idea how reliable they are. This appears to be a "general" website. It doesn't appear on alza.de or .at for whatever reason but the other language versions appear to list it.

I might also have some copies left but I can't promise anything.

sphinx

the piano man
I am thinking about canceling mine too but I'd rather wait til my coolshop preorder gets shipped.

I'd leave it to luck.. if Coolshop ships next week at the right price before amazon.de does, I'll cancel the amazon preorder.

if not, I'll get both and sell itr to someone in Australia or New Zealand for the price I got it plus shipping.

TheMoon

I am thinking about canceling mine too but I'd rather wait til my coolshop preorder gets shipped.

I'd leave it to luck.. if Coolshop ships next week at the right price before amazon.de does, I'll cancel the amazon preorder.

if not, I'll get both and sell itr to someone in Australia or New Zealand for the price I got it plus shipping.

Coolshop ships on Tuesdays so that'll be before amazon which ships as late as possible in my experience.

sphinx

the piano man
Coolshop ships on Tuesdays so that'll be before amazon which ships as late as possible in my experience.

really? wow thanks

how do you know coolshop ships on tuesday? you mean this specific case of the metroid legacy edition or they always, no matter what you buy, ship their stuff on tuesdays?

TheMoon

really? wow thanks

how do you know coolshop ships on tuesday? you mean this specific case of the metroid legacy edition or they always, no matter what you buy, ship their stuff on tuesdays?

Everything I've bought from them (maybe 15-20 games by now?) has shipped on Tuesdays (day-1 preorders), even if I order it late Monday night. Maybe once or twice it shipped on Wednesday but they usually ship so it arrives one day early or on-release which is why it is my favorite shop to get UK editions in Germany. Too bad base has been beating them with prices recently.

edit: of course it depends on if they get their stock in time from the distributor.

Top Bottom