• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 17-23 April

Tadaima

jGuru said:
Thanks, but I was a bit shocked. The GBA hit 7m in the end of 2002, it launched in 2001, so about a year. The DS on the other hand, launched 2004, and just hit 7 m after more than one year. Oh well, the competetion is tougher now, so it's ok.

Also, the DS' entire lineup was really, really bad for like.. a year. And there haven't been enough DS units for ages.

Also, Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire spiked the GBA sales. If Diamond/Pearl came now and there were enough DS units to support them, DS sales would skyrocket.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Eddz said:
Also, the DS' entire lineup was really, really bad for like.. a year. And there haven't been enough DS units for ages.

Also, Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire spiked the GBA sales. If Diamond/Pearl came now and there were enough DS units to support them, DS sales would skyrocket.

But wait, now I think of it, the GBA launched June '01,while the DS Nov 29 '04. So I think they're pretty close, taking the games in hand, I think the DS has an advantage in outselling the GBA.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Proves my point more, hope the DS catches up with some more flamy announcements in e3.

ethelred

jGuru said:
Proves my point more, hope the DS catches up with some more flamy announcements in e3.

I have no idea what will be announced at E3, but I'm certain there is a lot more stuff coming out for the DS than we think. Ever since November/December, I've been thinking that publishers, looking at the system (and software's) monster sales, probably initiated a ton of big projects.

Right now, we're still seeing stuff getting announced that had begun development before that period. It's just really difficult to predict what might be coming.

cvxfreak

The DS's sales weren't even anything special in 2005 until Jump Superstars was released. That, and a month later Tamagotchi got the ball rolling before the Brain Training games really picked up.

Grampasso

Mmmmh... after seeing this week numbers, should Sony be worried about PSP sales since they didn't went up (considerably) even with White Giga Pack and the Dragon Ball Z game (best lauch in 5 months since Monster Hunter Portable, which nearly doubled DBZ sales)?

Eddz said:
DSL 168,809
PSP 32,323
PS2 25,763
GBM 18,390
GBASP 11,044
DS 8,051
Xbox360 3,990
GC 1,106
GBA 58
Xbox 16

Wow :D

This really came out of nowhere. Fantastic sales for DSL and really good for GBM/GBASP. X360 looks like it could gain a bit of momentum.

ioi

Banned
Hmmm.. Eddz do you know for a fact about DS shipments because I can't just suddenly see them drop off like that unless there were severe shortages.

And yeah as people have already corrected the DS passed 7m a good while before the GBA did and is definitely pulling ahead.

Not including this weeks sales (yet):

japhw2.gif

Jiggy37 said:
Is there some way in which it's not? o_O
Some things are subjective. There are many things I'm looking forward to with the Lite, but I really like the original DS d-pad over the Micro/Lite/Wii style.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ioi said:
Hmmm.. Eddz do you know for a fact about DS shipments because I can't just suddenly see them drop off like that unless there were severe shortages.

And yeah as people have already corrected the DS passed 7m a good while before the GBA did and is definitely pulling ahead.

Not including this weeks sales (yet):

japhw2.gif
I think your chart is not correct. Nintendo officially announced that DS is the fastest selling hardware to reach 5m units sell through in Japan, but in your chart its GBA.

Peru

Grampasso said:
Mmmmh... after seeing this week numbers, should Sony be worried about PSP sales since they didn't went up (considerably) even with White Giga Pack and the Dragon Ball Z game (best lauch in 5 months since Monster Hunter Portable, which nearly doubled DBZ sales)?
I don't really think they're worried when it's the second-best selling console.

ioi

Banned
kia said:
I think your chart is not correct. Nintendo officially announced that DS is the fastest selling hardware to reach 5m units sell through in Japan, but in your chart its GBA.

Well that is the data that Famitsu / Media Create published at the time. There's only a week or two in it to be honest.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Eddz said:
In America however, the DS and DS Lite will run side-by-side, sort of like the GBA SP/GBm. Not sure about Europe.
americans like having the low model and high model.. it worked for the GBA, GB(C), etc for years.. so yeah, I imagine you will still see DSes priced $20-40 under the DSL for a year or two yet... until the cost difference between manufacturing the two becomes negligible and nintendo just lowers the DSL down to the DS price ($70?)

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Some things are subjective. There are many things I'm looking forward to with the Lite, but I really like the original DS d-pad over the Micro/Lite/Wii style.

Yeah, there will be some people who will prefer the original DS's d-pad and buttons.

cvxfreak said:
Yeah, there will be some people who will prefer the original DS's d-pad and buttons.

really? i've never used a DS lite yet but i'm not satisfied at all with the d-pad on the original DS i have. just doesn't feel right to me. i was hoping the DS lite d-pad was going to feel better somehow.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
borghe said:
americans like having the low model and high model.. it worked for the GBA, GB(C), etc for years.. so yeah, I imagine you will still see DSes priced $20-40 under the DSL for a year or two yet... until the cost difference between manufacturing the two becomes negligible and nintendo just lowers the DSL down to the DS price ($70?)

I remember selling old model GBAs through the 2005 Christmas season at Circuit City. I think Americans, more than any other developed region of the world, are the most price-conscious.

Just some anecdotal notes for this coming week's chart:

Battlefield 360 is sold out in every single shop I've been to in Osaka today and yesterday (that's around 20ish stores) apart from Discpier in DenDen. Not sure if it's popular or undershipped, I'm hoping the former.

Tetris seems to be shifting a fair few copies, only the larger chains near me have good supplies left, the rest seem to be either sold out or only have a couple of copies on their shelves.

N3 is pilling up in the 'used' sections of Osakan game shops faster than any game I've seen (except for that recent FF game, Durge something? I've blocked the name from my mind)

Yesterday's Dominos Pizza came with a nice fullpage advert for New Super Mario Bros, which made the pizza taste that little bit better.

cvxfreak

Cool notes marvelharvey.

Right now on Amazon JP, Tetris DS is on the top of the list, followed by Mother 3, pre-orders of NSMB and .hack... all ahead of WE10, oddly.

polg

137334147_f3a0f1aa93_o.jpg

Finally caught up with all the charts...

I really need to find a way to automate all these... maybe write my own app :p

Tadaima

marvelharvey said:
Yesterday's Dominos Pizza came with a nice fullpage advert for New Super Mario Bros, which made the pizza taste that little bit better.

Did the pizza have mushrooms on it?

Great graph, polg. Very very useful.

marvelharvey said:
Battlefield 360 is sold out in every single shop I've been to in Osaka today and yesterday (that's around 20ish stores) apart from Discpier in DenDen. Not sure if it's popular or undershipped

I presume the second option you said...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
i wonder if lifetime DS sales will be greater than PS2 total (by the time PS2 stops selling much)

Tadaima

MrSardonic said:
i wonder if lifetime DS sales will be greater than PS2 total (by the time PS2 stops selling much)

Well GBA is like, 3 - 4 million in front of PS2, and DS is selling at a much faster rate than GBA (just wait until they release Pokémon, too). So I wouldn't be surprised.

Bets on how long it takes the Lite to reach 5 million? I say mid - end of October.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Eddz said:
Well GBA is like, 3 - 4 million in front of PS2, and DS is selling at a much faster rate than GBA (just wait until they release Pokémon, too). So I wouldn't be surprised.

Bets on how long it takes the Lite to reach 5 million? I say mid - end of October.
The GBA hasn't sold more than the PS2, it's the other way around.

Grampasso

cvxfreak said:
Cool notes marvelharvey.

Right now on Amazon JP, Tetris DS is on the top of the list, followed by Mother 3, pre-orders of NSMB and .hack... all ahead of WE10, oddly.

I think people are getting a bit tired of WE, at least in Japan, since the game is heading :)lol ) too much towards the simulative aspect of soccer. I mean, with more realistic injuries, even while the players are simply running alone, with the managerial aspect of the game much more important and defined (I'll never forget the booooring training in WE8 master league to avoid the player statistics to go down from one season to another...) and the game generally becoming much less arcade than the previous editions I think japanese people could be on the verge of rejecting it, or at least thinking twice before buying it.
And we should also take into account that WE9 came out not too much time ago (nearly one year or so, right?) and it didn't sell as much at lauch as the previous 1, nearly 100k difference more or less, if I remember well.
If we sum it all up these could be some reasons why it's not so much anticipated (if it actually isn't...), couldn't they?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Eddz said:
o rly?

Game Boy Advance (GBA, SP, micro) 15,951,546
PlayStation 2 11,908,028
Since we don't have the years 2000 and 2001 for Media Create here's the Famitsu data for each.

PS2 - 19,295,545
GBA (all) - 15,238,003

Top Bottom