• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

jett

D-Member
When you do a PS3-to-PS3 transfer using a network cable EVERYTHING is transferred, right? Is it ok to deactivate a PS3 before doing this?

mintylurb

jett said:
When you do a PS3-to-PS3 transfer using a network cable EVERYTHING is transferred, right? Is it ok to deactivate a PS3 before doing this?
Yes. But give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Rolf NB

jett said:
Do not deactivate. The content will be moved and your account needs to be active still to grant you all the licenses. The transfer process should deactivate the source PS3 after it's done. If not, do it manually, but do it after the transfer.

jett

D-Member
Well I ended up getting one of these new slims, now I have to redownload all of my crap since my phat died again, at least I got deactivate it.

Only thing that bothers me slightly it's that it's a bit warm to the touch(my phat was always pretty cool). Can't really feel the air coming out of the machine either, I guess all this is normal? :p

It's pretty quiet which I appreciate, in its final days my phat sounded like an air fighter taking off inside my room. I can hear the fan spinning if I get next to it, but it's nothing.

All in all I'm okay with my purchase, but I would have rather not re-bought a PS3. :p

edit: can't sync my trophies, spits out an error. What's that all about.

jett said:
Well I ended up getting one of these new slims, now I have to redownload all of my crap since my phat died again, at least I got deactivate it.

Only thing that bothers me slightly it's that it's a bit warm to the touch(my phat was always pretty cool). Can't really feel the air coming out of the machine either, I guess all this is normal? :p

It's pretty quiet which I appreciate, in its final days my phat sounded like an air fighter taking off inside my room. I can hear the fan spinning if I get next to it, but it's nothing.

All in all I'm okay with my purchase, but I would have rather not re-bought a PS3. :p

edit: can't sync my trophies, spits out an error. What's that all about.

Mine took foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [trophies].

And what's up w/ the HD in the new system, is it from 1990? It's taking forever for RE4 to install :(

test_account

XP-39C²
Are you syncing all your trophies on a new PS3? If so, that can take quite a while. If you have like 1000 trophies, i think that it can take something like 20-30 minutes.

jett

D-Member
demosthenes said:
It's moved about 6% since my last post, what the hell? How could it be this possibly slow?

I dunno, it took forever too for me, but it's done. I had to resync by comparing trophies with someone on my friendslist.

jett said:
I dunno, it took forever too for me, but it's done. I had to resync by comparing trophies with someone on my friendslist.

I'm talking about installing RE4, it's been about 25 minutes so far, what the eff.

jett

D-Member
Man the blu-ray drive on this bitch is really fucking loud, louder than my phat.

demosthenes said:
I'm talking about installing RE4, it's been about 25 minutes so far, what the eff.

oh lol

Benedict

I have bought a new 320GB PS3, CECH 3004B, I guess that is the same as this one described in the thread?

I am replacing my PS3 40gb with this one.
I agree that the Blu-ray drive is louder than on my old PS3 (fat) and I also think there is more vibration in the chassi when it's reading discs. The old PS3 doesn't vibrate at all

Somebody else experiencing that the wi-fi drops out with this model?
It has happened to me now a few times, and I had almost never that problem with my old fat PS3.

The unit is quieter than my old PS3, when it's not reading discs.

Benedict

OK, the sound from the unit when reading discs is really annoying me.
This won't be OK when watching a Blu-ray movie...
Seems to me that most of the sound comes from vibrations when reading a disc.
When I lift up the unit most of the sound disappears.
Any solution for this?

Rolf NB

Benedict said:
OK, the sound from the unit when reading discs is really annoying me.
This won't be OK when watching a Blu-ray movie...
Seems to me that most of the sound comes from vibrations when reading a disc.
When I lift up the unit most of the sound disappears.
Any solution for this?
Try putting some soft cloth under it?

DonMigs85

I'm contemplating getting this model rather than have my fat PS3 reflowed or reballed, but some of the impressions are turning me off. My fat is still super-silent and the BD drive still reads OK and only has mild chuk-chuk noises. Also, it seems this new model actually has a smaller fan than the previous slim? Even with a redesigned heatsink, is there a chance it would run louder or hotter than the last model?
Also, are they using better laptop-grade HDDs or the cheaper OEM drives with lower shock resistance?

Benedict

Rolf NB said:
Try putting some soft cloth under it?

Put some soft cloth and also 4 of these, IKEA Möbeltass.
Dampened the noise somewhat but not completely.
The sound disappears when I lift the unit up in the air. So there is some sort of vibration in the chassis when reading discs.

I think the HDD is somewhat slower than the one in my old PS3 and the unit gets hotter in the area where the power-cord connects
It seems to me that this is a budget upgrade. Not a quality upgrade from Sonys side.
The chugging noise that appears when reading from discs confirms that for me.

Still not unhappy with the unit, just a bit disappointed.

DonMigs85

Benedict said:
Put some soft cloth and also 4 of these, IKEA Möbeltass.
Dampened the noise somewhat but not completely.
The sound disappears when I lift the unit up in the air. So there is some sort of vibration in the chassis when reading discs.

I think the HDD is somewhat slower than the one in my old PS3 and the unit gets hotter in the area where the power-cord connects
It seems to me that this is a budget upgrade. Not a quality upgrade from Sonys side.
The chugging noise that appears when reading from discs confirms that for me.

Still not unhappy with the unit, just a bit disappointed.
Ooh this really doesn't sound good.
The previous slim model sounds better but it's probably hard to find in stores now.

Does anyone have new or further impressions?

My launch PS3 is about to hit the 5 year mark and I'm ready to sell it and get a new one.

I hate to bump this again, but I really am curious on further impressions with the new model.

General consensus is while heat input it low and fans aren't loud, the BD drive is rather annoying(loud).

I'd like to get a new PS3 since I have a launch 60 gig and it's so damn loud, not to mention that it could go out anyday now.

Any more impressions would be great :)

DonMigs85

I wanna know too. Surely the BD-drive quality can't be worse than the last model right?
Maybe the reduction in weight/metal parts increased the vibrations?

ChanHuk

Banned
All the PS3 $199 holiday bundles are the new units. Should be getting mine from Amazon next week. Not looking forward to transferring data from my phat to the new slim. My phat went YLOD, got it reflowed for $45. Gonna sync it up then trade it into Gamestop. Don't feel right about selling to someone knowing its gonna die again, don't care if someone buys a used console from Gamestop since they provide a warranty.

Marco1

Apologies for bumping this thread but I am about to purchase a PS3 for the exclusives as they are to hard to resist.
But is the new slim better than the older slim?
I appears to be more of a budget, cost-cutting measure for sony rather than a streamlined version of the older slim due to the cheaper fan and removal of LED's.
Am I wrong?

1-D_FTW

Just got my Holiday Slim bundle.

Initial impressions were: wow, they've really cheaped this up since my last PS3. Not impressed by the new plastic. Or the removal of the vertical orientation option.

Was a little worried the fans were broken initially. Not making any noise, despite there being some heat being generated. So I plugged in my Kill-a-watt.

This baby idles at begin 56 and 61 watts.

So then I booted up DA-TON-A and plugged in my G27. *SWOON* Hello, lover, it's been too long.

And amazingly enough, the game was running at being 56 and 58 watts the entire time. Impressive.

Don't have any retail disc games to test ATM. The two games it came with are being flipped onto Ebay. Got some games coming, but nothing I can test right now.

matmanx1

Apologies for bumping this thread but I am about to purchase a PS3 for the exclusives as they are to hard to resist.
But is the new slim better than the older slim?
I appears to be more of a budget, cost-cutting measure for sony rather than a streamlined version of the older slim due to the cheaper fan and removal of LED's.
Am I wrong?

You aren't wrong although I can't tell any functional difference between my new slim and the slim I purchased at Christmas time in 09 (right after the slims launched). And if anything the BD drive/vibration is much less noticeable than it was on that first slim which could be somewhat annoying at times.

As far as the LED's go I actually like the change. Definitely a plus if you like to watch movies in a darkened room not to have extraneous lights in your environment.

ChanHuk

Banned
WTF why no vertical option? My new holiday bundle slim arrived and god it looks cheap next to my soon to YLOD again fatty. The BD drive is loud as fuck as well.

Pezking

Got a new classic white Slim 320GB three weeks ago at a german Gamestop.

Had an american 60GB model with full backwards compatibility since launch.
Never gave me any problems, but after almost 5 years, I wanted to send it to an early retirement. I'll use that one only for american Blu-rays and PS2 games from now on.

Back to the new model: Im pretty pleased with it! Everything just feels a bit...tighter. The XBM reacts a little faster, the online connection is established faster, and it's pretty silent, too! The drive is a bit louder when a disc is spinning in it, but most of the time it's almost as silent as my Wii.

I really can't complain. Both PS3s work like a charm!

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm actually now considering reballing my fat PS3 and returning my slim. I just have too much of an attachment to my fatty.

Bebpo

Banned
All the PS3 $199 holiday bundles are the new units. Should be getting mine from Amazon next week. Not looking forward to transferring data from my phat to the new slim. My phat went YLOD, got it reflowed for $45. Gonna sync it up then trade it into Gamestop. Don't feel right about selling to someone knowing its gonna die again, don't care if someone buys a used console from Gamestop since they provide a warranty.

Are you sure about this? Most evidence is that they aren't. Mine sure isn't. AFAIK They're the older slim models that have been sitting in a wharehouse for years and they want to dump them before the new model comes out. They open up the box, throw in the two games, then put a slip-on cover over the box and call it the "entertainment bundle".

Would've liked to get one of the new models, but can't do much about it at this point.

ChanHuk

Banned
Are you sure about this? Most evidence is that they aren't. Mine sure isn't. AFAIK They're the older slim models that have been sitting in a wharehouse for years and they want to dump them before the new model comes out. They open up the box, throw in the two games, then put a slip-on cover over the box and call it the "entertainment bundle".

Would've liked to get one of the new models, but can't do much about it at this point.

I was told that they would be the new models and mine is the new model with no LED. It's probably a mix of new and old stock seeing as how many PS3s were sold during black friday.

1-D_FTW

How can you tell? Is there a model number difference? I just assumed I got the latest. Does no blue led (good riddance) mean it's the latest? Led only does green and red.

EDIT: So the new model has complete elimination of the LED? Or just the blue LED?

2ND EDIT: FUCK! DUH! RTFT. So mine is definitely old. It's the CECH-3001A. Any landmines with this I should be aware of? Certainly explains why the clock was set to 1/1/2009 when it booted up.

A.R.K

I ordered the $199 holiday bundle too which should be arriving today to replace my old slim. But I am not happy to hear that there no LEDs any more? is that true? How do you even know whether its on or off?? And all this talk about loud drive is getting me double minded about keeping it :/

Didn't expect Sony would go cheap like this.

Derrick01

Banned
I ordered the $199 holiday bundle too which should be arriving today to replace my old slim. But I am not happy to hear that there no LEDs any more? is that true? How do you even know whether its on or off?? And all this talk about loud drive is getting me double minded about keeping it :/

I got mine today but I'm not sure what you mean by LEDs and stuff. There's a red light on top of the button when it's in standby and green when it's on like normal I guess.

What I don't like is how there's no switch on the back anymore so I guess it's on standby all of the time. Installing games seems to take a really long time too, longer than my 60gb, and trophy sync is taking forever as I type this which shouldn't happen. I haven't played a ps3 in 8 months so what the hell is it synching?

I haven't been able to test any disc games yet but I do not like this talk of louder drives...

ChanHuk

Banned
The new model has the elimination of the status LED (Probably to avoid the YLOD). Overall I think the new slim just looks/feels cheap compared to that beast of a PS3 fatty.

1-D_FTW

Actually I do think the 3001A is the newest model. So there's a red light when it's off and a green light when it's on. It's just not bright enough to see from the moon like the old blue LED.

I got mine today but I'm not sure what you mean by LEDs and stuff. There's a red light on top of the button when it's in standby and green when it's on like normal I guess.

What I don't like is how there's no switch on the back anymore so I guess it's on standby all of the time. Installing games seems to take a really long time too, longer than my 60gb, and trophy sync is taking forever as I type this which shouldn't happen. I haven't played a ps3 in 8 months so what the hell is it synching?

I haven't been able to test any disc games yet but I do not like this talk of louder drives...

It uses 0 watts in standby (my Kill-a-watt). So unless you were turning it off for other reasons, no real benefit anyway.

Agree about the trophy sync though. That's some slow ass shit. Booting up Daytona and waiting 5 seconds every time I load is a bit ridiculous.

ChanHuk

Banned

The drive is definitely louder, it's not as loud as lets say the Dreamcast loud, but its definitely noticeable where my 60GB I didn't even notice the drive spinning up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The eject button would light up. I think they removed that.

How can you tell? Is there a model number difference? I just assumed I got the latest. Does no blue led (good riddance) mean it's the latest? Led only does green and red.

EDIT: So the new model has complete elimination of the LED? Or just the blue LED?

2ND EDIT: FUCK! DUH! RTFT. So mine is definitely old. It's the CECH-3001A. Any landmines with this I should be aware of? Certainly explains why the clock was set to 1/1/2009 when it booted up.

Just got mine yesterday, and it's also a 3001A.

gogogow

No, that's not true, there's two LEDs. There's the power/standby LED above the ON/OFF button and there's the HDD activity LED.

test_account

XP-39C²
WTF why no vertical option? My new holiday bundle slim arrived and god it looks cheap next to my soon to YLOD again fatty. The BD drive is loud as fuck as well.
How do you mean with no vertical option? Isnt the PS3 flat on one side?

What I don't like is how there's no switch on the back anymore so I guess it's on standby all of the time.
There is a cheap solution for this (besides pulling out the cable all the time of course) :

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/power-switch-adapter-for-ps3-slim-48786

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/power-switch-for-sony-playstation-ps3-slim-48927

I havnt tried any of them, but i assume that it is just a simple switch, so i guess that it is safe to use =)

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, my holiday bundle is the CECH-3001A. Interesting to hear some of the holiday bundles are the newer model.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, my holiday bundle is the CECH-3001A. Interesting to hear some of the holiday bundles are the newer model.

What makes you think yours isn't the new model? Maybe the 320GB version is B is the 160GB is A. Sounds like the old slim was 2500 or something.

A.R.K

No, that's not true, there's two LEDs. There's the power/standby LED above the ON/OFF button and there's the HDD activity LED.

Ok that's good enough.

Btw my old slim's drive (early 2010) was also louder than my phat model. So not sure if this is the same or even worse? I hope its the same because it is tolerable. Will find out tonight as to which model I got.

1-D_FTW

It still has LEDs, and system date was 2009 when first booted.

I think that is the new model. I don't see anyone claiming they've eliminated all the lights. And if you look at the power numbers I posted earlier, Daytona USA running at 58 watts is pretty damn impressive. I really think we do have the latest model and A and B is the difference between 160 and 320GB.

http://myona.com/2011/08/08/new-ps3-slim-model-revision-cech-30001-ab-out-now/

Yeah. Check out that link. They even source back to neogaf pictures. 3001A is the new model (just 160GB).

Top Bottom