• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Slim model (CECH-3000B) cuts power consumption, weight, small cosmetic change

Lupin the Wolf said:
Really? Have you ever built your own PC?

Also, when you're trying to cram a PC with a high-end video card that runs hot into a compact environment (which a PC case most definitely is NOT), you're bound to run into heating/cooling issues, which are the dominant hardware failures in both 360 and PS3 units.

of course. The fans that come in the ps3 and 360 are utter shit. You'd think they would put in a little more quality on that front.

PS4 liquid cooling ftw!

Comparing the new board with the one previous, it seems that most of the savings came from the Blu-ray/Wifi side:

Left: 3000B, Right: 2500A
lzVLX.jpg
bZqRm.jpg

The fan also got smaller, which might make the new slim louder since it seems neither Cell or RSX got shrunk down.

TheFatOne

I hope this comes with a price drop. After putting new thermal past on my old 60gb ps3 I get weird graphical glitches, and I am forced to restart my ps3. My ps3 is dying and I don't want to spend 300 for a new one :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TheFatOne said:
I hope this come with a price drop. After putting new thermal past on my old 60gb ps3 I get weird graphical glitches, and I am forced to restart my ps3. My ps3 is dying and I don't want to spend 300 for a new one :(

Rumor is August.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TheFatOne said:
I hope this comes with a price drop. After putting new thermal past on my old 60gb ps3 I get weird graphical glitches, and I am forced to restart my ps3. My ps3 is dying and I don't want to spend 300 for a new one :(
Why'd you do that in the first place?

TheFatOne

Kagari said:
Rumor is August.

Gamescon is in August right?

Teetris said:
Why'd you do that in the first place?

Didn't have a choice. My PS3 sounded like a jet engine as soon as I turned it on. After taking it apart, and cleaning of the dust there was no thermal paste on the RSX and Cell. I had to replace the thermal paste on it, but it looks like it didn't really matter anyways :(

mintylurb

Zombie James said:
Comparing the new board with the one previous, it seems that most of the savings came from the Blu-ray/Wifi side:

lzVLX.jpg
bZqRm.jpg

The fan also got smaller, which might make the new slim louder since it seems neither Cell or RSX got shrunk down.
Did it change from 120mm to 80mm? Then I suspect it'll make the new slim quite a bit more louder.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
TheFatOne said:
Gamescon is in August right?

Didn't have a choice. My PS3 sounded like a jet engine as soon as I turned it on. After taking it apart, and cleaning of the dust there was no thermal paste on the RSX and Cell. I had to replace the thermal paste on it, but it looks like it didn't really matter anyways :(
Should always ride it out until the end. But you can now at least get it reballed for much cheaper. Would be a shame to let a 60gb just die out like that

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Do not like the look of the cooling in the new system at all, 80mm fan is not desirable, also look at the difference in heat-sink technology, the previous heat-sink was a very well made clever design able expel heat very effectively.

old slim,

new slim,

Definitely looks like a downgrade to me.

Well, maybe there were other internal changes that we can't see that are leading to less cooling requirements... though the power consumption numbers don't show any significant drops, so who knows.

Can anyone translate what this says?

XWyKg.png

Deadbeat

Banned
Izayoi said:
Why the fuck would they do that.
Cheaper to make. I mean look at the heatsink difference. Looks like crap compared to the older one. Im curious if theres any improvements laid down.

Truespeed

lowrider007 said:
Do not like the look of the cooling in the new system at all, 80mm fan is not desirable, also look at the difference in heat-sink technology, the previous heat-sink was a very well made clever design able expel heat very effectively.

Definitely looks like a downgrade to me.

Wanting to have the latest version does have its costs and replacing expensive parts with cheap parts is one of them.

theBishop

Banned
So if the new Slim is a downgrade internally, does it make more sense to grab a current slim today with one of these gift card deals?

Ugh, the likelyhood of a louder model is a huge disappointment.

Which model(s) among the currently available should be quietest? Might be worth hunting one.

MercuryLS

Banned
Come on price drop, with most of my favourite PS2 titles getting PS3 makeovers I wouldn't mind upgrading.

Also, I don't see the problem with the update. If the internals are smaller, and produce less heat wouldn't it make sense to make the fan/heatsink smaller?

MercuryLS said:
Come on price drop, with most of my favourite PS2 titles getting PS3 makeovers I wouldn't mind upgrading.

Also, I don't see the problem with the update. If the internals are smaller, and produce less heat wouldn't it make sense to make the fan/heatsink smaller?

Presuming though that when tough stuff is getting rendered (LA Noire, Uncharted, etc.), the fan is going to kick into high gear regardless and will now be even more audible/annoying. I don't believe the lower nm chipset would make THAT much of a difference.

The 360 slim is dead silent more due to it's air intake/cooling-system and not because of the new chipset ....At least I think so. Old 360s had 80mm fans.

diddles

Banned
Zombie James said:

lzVLX.jpg
bZqRm.jpg

both of the major chips in these pictures look smaller on the new motherboard to me.

edit: oh nm, those arent the cell and rsx

i want a 12nm cell/rsx combo chip with no active cooling

androvsky

MercuryLS said:

The main heat producers haven't been shrunk, it looks like just ancillary motherboard stuff that's been consolidated to reduce costs.

Oh yeah and new hardware keys to prevent piracy on the new models.

LQX

Now knowing the power difference is so negligible I now feel better about the Slim I bought from Amazon last week as this is not much of an upgrade.

Barrow Roll said:
I can attest. I just got a 160GB, 2501A model and it's extremely quiet. Unnoticeable even. Even when playing Uncharted 2. After the jet turbine noise of my old 60GB this is heaven.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Naked Snake said:
Do you know the equivalent model number for Europe (if different)? Also does it come in smaller than 320GB (I'd rather buy the smallest one)? And finally, is the model number visible on the sealed box? Thanks!

PS3 Secrets (all you need to know)

And yes there 160gb sku out there as well...

duk

Banned
diddles said:
both of the major chips in these pictures look smaller on the new motherboard to me.

edit: oh nm, those arent the cell and rsx

i want a 12nm cell/rsx combo chip with no active cooling

12nm? aint gonna happen

Mr_Brit

Banned
So when this August price drop happens, if I go to retailers straight away will I be able to buy the old 2500 slims for the reduced price?

Man

Mr_Brit said:
So based on the teardown, there is absolutely no reason to go for one of the new slims over the current slims?
If you acquire them at the same price of course.

I have 320gb ps3 slim.

And its about the same as the old xbox 360 pro/hdmi when idle. You can hear it but its never bothersome Ofcourse its much much more silent than any xbox 360 that reads from an disc. But that sounds more like a hair dryer than a game console.

Lince

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Nice.

So based on the teardown, there is absolutely no reason to go for one of the new slims over the current slims?

well everybody is saying 'yeah, no reason', but if you want to save a tiny fraction off your electricity bill at the expense of a most probably louder system (80mm fan wtf Sony)... personally I'll hold on to my 60 GB PS2 BC launch unit (sexy behemoth of mine) + 2500 320 GB Slim (still unboxed lol, fucking impulse buy, hope it's as quiet as my 60 GB).

FoxSpirit

FLEABttn said:
Tell you what Sony. You make a 32/24nm cell/GPU PS3 that's virtually silent in summer, and I'll buy another.

Hmmm, I could go for that. This high noise area should slowly end.

So a serious question to Sony: WHY???

Lince

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
So a serious question to Sony: WHY???

Sony: we couldn't make this particular price drop 'free', some cheaper hardware had to be designed... (can't believe they're going with a shitty 80mm fan)

kikonawa

nobody says this 80 mm fan will make more noise then the current ones.It can be better quality, less cooling is needed etc.. bunch of crybabies

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
kikonawa said:
nobody says this 80 mm fan will make more noise then the current ones.It can be better quality, less cooling is needed etc.. bunch of crybabies
Smaller fan = higher rpms to achieve equal airflow
Higher rpms = more noise

Top Bottom