• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Trank's Fantastic Four hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Black Panther coming out after Dr. Strange and Avengers 3?

That's so weird.
I forgot about the darker blue line for vacant slots. I fixed that error in this version of the schedule.

oYr6LpC.jpg

Yeah? And his acting was nothing special in there was what I said. It's not my fault you extrapolated what I said based on your own insecurities.

I suggest you save your tears for if the film hits 4% RT.

So you have seen him in The Wire or Fruitvale Station, or you haven't? Because if you have, it certainly is your fault if I have extrapolated that you have only seen him in Chronicle when you say you've only seen him in Chronicle.

Also :lol. I won't be seeing the film. Trailers looked shit long ago. I also don't put any investment into Rotten Tomatoes scores either. Nice try though.

Neoxon

Now Fant4stic is the worst-rated movie based on a Marvel property ever on RT. It's even below Elektra's 10%.

Lothars

I find it difficult to believe they could make a worse job than any of the two previous movies. But judging from RT it seems try might've achieved that.

What the hell, Fox?
The last two were not terrible movies though, this one seems to be actively terrible.

Replicant

So you have seen him in The Wire or Fruitvale Station, or you haven't? Because if you have, it certainly is your fault if I have extrapolated that you have only seen him in Chronicle when you say you've only seen him in Chronicle.

LOL. This is why I said "learn to read". "I've seen him in Chronicle and his acting is not impressive". What does that mean? That his acting in Chronicle is not impressive or his acting in general not impressive? Most people associate words with what is said beforehand and not what's not said. Like I said, it's not my fault that you extrapolated what I said into something more than what was said.

Also :lol. I won't be seeing the film. Trailers looked shit long ago. I also don't put any investment into Rotten Tomatoes scores either. Nice try though.

Also even more amusing that you fight a battle that you don't even want to support/believe in. I mean, if you like this actor so much to the point that you whine and bitch at a stranger on internet, defending his honour, the very least you can do is see his film to support him. I mean back up your word with action FFS. Don't be a hypocrite.

I can't believe the review is this bad, I was so sure that with the low expectation, as well as the talented cast, there'd be quite a few people who got pleasantly surprised by the movie. so even with the low expectation, the movie somehow still fail to meet that?

just, wow.... it's currently lower than Pixels and that movie got crucified by the reviewers.

I wonder if Fox will really gone through with the sequel, any box office prediction? is there chance that Fox still make money of this movie that they'll make a sequel?

Downhome

I'm stunned at the 8% so far, lol. When we did predictions earlier I said something in the range of 40% and I thought I was shooting a bit low even then. Wow, incredible, lol.

LOL. This is why I said "learn to read". "I've seen him in Chronicle and his acting is not impressive". What does that mean? That his acting in Chronicle is not impressive or his acting in general not impressive? Most people associate words with what is said beforehand and not what's not said. Like I said, it's not my fault that you extrapolated what I said into something more than what was said.

Also even more amusing that you fight a battle that you don't even want to support/believe in. I mean, if you like this actor so much to the point that you whine and bitch at a stranger on internet, defending his honour, the very least you can do is see his film to support him. I mean back up your word with action FFS. Don't be a hypocrite.

You said you've only seen him in Chronicle. I wouldn't have replied at all if you had omitted that word out of your original post like you seem to be doing now. Curious.

I mean, you wrote off his talents as an actor based on the one thing you've seen him in. Curiouser.

It's not a case of championing the actor. I just thought that your opinion was ill-informed considering you don't seem to have seen the two works that Jordan has gained critical acclaim for.

Or you have, but used the word 'only' for some bizarre reason.

Another Reddit Review
Originally Posted by shaneo632

Continued after the previous thread got pulled. Seemed like a really lively discussion so hopefully it'll keep going here without anymore disruption!

Just saw it at a preview screening in the UK. Full disclosure: I wasn't that hyped to see the film and thought it looked very generic from the trailers. Little did I know that it's actually a lot worse than the trailers and the 2005 version is somehow better.

The Good:

The acting is much better than the film deserves. The guy who played Sue/Johnny's dad was the best by far.

The Bad:

The tone is all over the place. There's more humour than the trailer implied but it's also quite brutal at times, especially when they transform and also when Doom goes on a killing spree near the end.
Michael B Jordan doesn't show up for the first 25% of the film
Characters are off screen for fucking AGES at a time and it's really noticeable, not sure if reshoots may have had a hand in this. The team aren't really all together as a unit much until the end of the film.
The only reason they go to the other dimension is because Reed, Doom, & Johnny get drunk. Seriously. It is awful and people will probably be talking about how shitty this set-up is for years.
They don't get transformed into superheroes until half-way through the film. Seriously.
The CGI of the accident scene is WANK.
There's a very sudden time jump of 1 year roughly an hour into the film that feels like it was tacked on in reshoots
Doom doesn't show up until the final 20 minutes of the film and his screen time is only about 15 minutes. Oh and he looks like some sort of Downs Syndrome sock puppet, just awful.
The final set-piece doesn't make much sense at all, I was very confused by the logic of what was happening.
It has really really long credits which I assume was to paper over the fact it's been cobbled together badly in the editing room.
Someone also noted that some scenes from the trailers are missing (like Thing jumping out of the plane). I can only assume they were casualties of the struggle to salvage this mess.
Oh and Johnny talks about Instagram while he's in the parallel dimension. Fuck this movie.

3.5/10. I'll be around for a few hours so feel free to ask me anything

Holy shit, i thought this would be bad, then the last trailer seemed okay, but after those!
might wait for netflix and even then if i'm bored

just give up the license FOX, keep X-men you seem good with those lately, but integrate into the MCU

so many shitty decisions with this film, but the real one that stings for me is "its clobbering time" and how its now relegated to something said to Ben during child abuse....
I feel sick, that happy go lucky cheeky Ben Grimm is now in some world where he is under some Stockholm syndrome like levels of messed up where he is parroting an abusive line as he abuses others.....just blaah who agreed to that

Garlador

Things could change, but currently this movie has a lower critical score than the following:

X-men: The Last Stand - 58%
Daredevil - 44%
The Phantom - 43%
Wolverine Origins - 38%
Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 37%
The Shadow - 35%
Meteor Man - 29%
Fantastic Four - 27%
The Punisher: Warzone - 27%
Ghost Rider - 26%
Green Lantern - 26%
Superman III - 26%
Blade Trinity - 25%
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl - 20%
Spawn - 19%
Judge Dredd - 18%
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - 17%
The Spirit - 14%
Blankman - 13%
Jonah Hex - 12%
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - 12%
Steel - 12%
Batman & Robin - 11%
Elektra - 10%
Catwoman - 9%
Captain America (90s) - 9%

Fant4stic - 8%

... That's mind-blowing.

So GAF.
Place your bets.
Fantastic 4.

Better or worse than this version?

It'll be worse. Legally obligated movies to retain corporate ownership over an IP have been uniformly awful. No reason that will change when Fox fires up the reboot machine just in time to keep the Fantastic Four.

Things could change, but currently this movie has a lower critical score than the following:

X-men: The Last Stand - 58%
Daredevil - 44%
The Phantom - 43%
Wolverine Origins - 38%
Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 37%
The Shadow - 35%
Meteor Man - 29%
Fantastic Four - 27%
The Punisher: Warzone - 27%
Ghost Rider - 26%
Green Lantern - 26%
Superman III - 26%
Blade Trinity - 25%
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl - 20%
Spawn - 19%
Judge Dredd - 18%
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - 17%
The Spirit - 14%
Blankman - 13%
Jonah Hex - 12%
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - 12%
Steel - 12%
Batman & Robin - 11%
Elektra - 10%
Catwoman - 9%
Captain America (90s) - 9%

Fant4stic - 8%

... That's mind-blowing.
How can Punisher Warzone be so low?

I thought it was a really fun film overall, no where near the level it seems others think :(

Replicant

You said you've only seen him in Chronicle. I wouldn't have replied at all if you had omitted that word out of your original post like you seem to be doing now. Curious.

Omit what word? Why would I want to omit anything I said? I have only seen him in Chronicle. Your argument doesn't make any sense and flip-flopping.

I mean, you wrote off his talents as an actor based on the one thing you've seen him in. Curiouser.

I write off anything I don't like instantly. It helps that he's known for being a bit homophobic and sexist to boot. So no issue for me to not follow his career.

It's not a case of championing the actor. I just thought that your opinion was ill-informed considering you don't seem to have seen the two works that Jordan has gained critical acclaim for.

LOLOLOL. So you're okay being on your high horse, telling others what to do and how their opinions are wrong but when it comes to yourself, you can just cower and do whatever you want to do just because? So you just wasted what? An hour of your time arguing for something you don't even believe in.

So who's gonna support this film? Marvel fans are not going to do it. They're hoping they can pick the carcass off this film so Dr.Doom, Galactus, et all return to Marvel. I'm not gonna do it. I don't like any of the actors except Jamie Bell. Public probably won't either after the RT tanking. You claim to like this actor to the point of telling others how ill-informed their opinions are but when it comes to actually supporting him, your action is NIL.

With fair-weathered 'fan' like you, is it any wonder this awesome actor you like so much is not more well-known and the comic-con situation as described by Kate Mara happened? Because all you can do is talk, talk, talk, and pontificate instead of going out there, put some money and action and support this fave actor of yours. You are the equivalent of a guy who brags about how brave and awesome he is but when a real bar fight broke out, he'd cower behind the kitchen door.

What the fuck are you talking about

You haven't seen the things MBJ has got acclaim for. You say others are better actors than him. That's ill-informed. That's all I'm talking about, not fucking bizarre analogies.

You omitted the word only from one of your posts. The only (lol) reason we are having this conversation is because you felt suitably placed to judge his talents based off one thing and not the things he has got good notices for, so I'm certainly not flip flopping.

And I never claimed to like the actor. I said he's better than Ioan Gruffudd. You're reaching, baby. Calma. Calma. It's just a superhero movie.

Replicant

What the fuck are you talking about

You haven't seen the things MBJ has got acclaim for. You say others are better actors than him. That's ill-informed. That's all I'm talking about, not fucking bizarre analogies.

Learn to read? I'm talking about your hypocrisy. What else?

They are better actors to me. Maybe it's about time you realise that you are not the authority when it comes to decide something as objective as acting?

And I never claimed to like the actor. I said he's better than Ioan Gruffudd. You're reaching, baby. Calma. Calma. It's just a superhero movie.

Not liking the actor but wasted 1 hour arguing for him. Fail to see what's wrong with this picture? You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. But can't even form proper and coherent argument nor defend your action.

I'm talking about your hypocrisy. What else?

They are better actors to me. Maybe it's about time you realise that you are not the authority when it comes to decide something as objective as acting?

Not liking the actor, wasted 1 hour arguing for him. Fail to see what's wrong with this picture? You're just arguing for the sake of arguing. But can't even form proper and coherent argument nor defend your action.

I find it curious that you can definitively say Ioan Gruffudd is a better actor than Michael B Jordan considering you've seen around 18 minutes of his work and neither The Wire nor Fruitvale Station.

I have. I have also seen a lot of Ioan Gruffudd's work. Many more will have seen all of both their works and be more informed than I am. As it stands, I am more informed than you.

I also didn't say I didn't like the actor :lol. Reading comprehension, man. Stop inventing.

X-men first class?

Thanks to X-Men Origins, Fox had the X-Men property safely secured when they started that film. The film might have ensured they kept the franchise alive, but it didn't retain the rights for them. They've kept X-Men films in production on a pretty safe schedule. Due to the elasticity of the IP, they will likely never come close to losing those rights.

Fantastic Four doesn't really have that same benefit. If Fox is forced to put off production of another Fantastic Four movie until 2022, it won't be because they suddenly had a hot director or smart screenwriter walk through their door with a miraculous pitch. It'll be because they have to do something, anything to keep the property. So they go with the least bad option they've recently been presented.

Replicant

I have. I have also seen a lot of Ioan Gruffudd's work. Many more will have seen all of both their works and be more informed than I am. As it stands, I am more informed than you.

I also didn't say I didn't like the actor :lol. Reading comprehension, man. Stop inventing.

You mean you have seen his work on Wikipedia, right? When all things fail, resort to lie and diversion. That's what I notice about your so-called "argument". You can't argue out of paperbag and just resort to stupid one-liners like "calma", "stop inventing". Didn't like the actor? Who are you talking about? MBJ?

So you like this actor but you won't even see his film. If you don't like the actor why you spent 1 hour defending his honour? Again, hypocritical much?

Man, this movie has to be a chore to get through if there isn't even an antagonist in it until the final scene.

One reviewer said the film has a lot of "boring" situations. How that happen is a mystery with FF crew.

Siegcram

Doom doesn't show up until the final 20 minutes of the film and his screen time is only about 15 minutes. Oh and he looks like some sort of Downs Syndrome sock puppet, just awful.
Man, this movie has to be a chore to get through if there isn't even an antagonist in it until the final scene.

You mean you have seen his work on Wikipedia, right? When all things fail, resort to lie and diversion. That's what I notice about your argument. You can't argue out of paperbag and just resort to stupid one-liners like "calma", "stop inventing". Didn't like the actor? Who are you talking about?

No, I've seen a fair amount of Gruffudd's work, a lot of Hornblower too. Apparently I'm not allowed to be the authority on acting but you can decide what Ioan Gruffudd films I've seen and haven't :lol

I'm talking about Michael B Jordan. I said he was better than Ioan Gruffudd and Julian McDonald. You said I was a fan of the actor. I said I didn't say I was a fan. You said I didn't like the actor. You seem to be getting very confused.

I like the actor, I don't like the look of the film. I haven't wasted my time arguing about him; I've actually got a fair amount of work done sitting on the computer.

Or have I? Do I even have a computer? Lies and obsfucation.

jtb

Banned
wait, people don't like Miles Teller? He's actually one of the few young leading men I find convincing and, occasionally, compelling.

The casting for this film looks great. Jordan is heading straight for stardom. Teller's on his way too, if Whiplash didn't already put him there. The only person who's going to have a hard time washing away the stench of this film is Trank.

Replicant

I'm talking about Michael B Jordan. I said he was better than Ioan Gruffudd and Julian McDonald. You said I was a fan of the actor. I said I didn't say I was a fan. You said I didn't like the actor. You seem to be getting very confused.

So you're not MBJ fan.
Yet you spent 1+ hour arguing for him.

That is the definition of pathetic to me. Wasting that much time for someone you're not even a fan of. You just want the attention instead of actually caring if the actor is being granted recognition that he deserves from the public. It's all about you.

Okay, i got it.

I keep seeing "but the cast was wasted"... This cast is horrendous.

*thumbs up*

So you're not MBJ fan.
Yet you spent 1+ hour arguing for him.

That is the definition of pathetic to me. Wasting that much time for someone you're not even a fan of. You just want the attention instead of actually caring if the actor is being granted recognition that he deserves from the public. It's all about you.

Okay, i got it.

No :lol, yet again you are struggling to comprehend things.

You said I was a fan, not me. I didn't say I was a fan; that doesn't mean I'm not a fan, just that I'm not the one who declared that in this discussion.

I literally just posted that I was a fan, long after you did. In the paragraph below the one you replied to. Are you okay?

Replicant

No :lol, yet again you are struggling to comprehend things.

You said I was a fan, not me. I didn't say I was a fan; that doesn't mean I'm not a fan, just that I'm not the one who declared that in this discussion.

I literally just posted that I was a fan. Are you okay?

No, I get it. You flip-flopping deciding whether you're a fan or not a fan to see which one suits your argument better.

So now you're a fan. A fan who doesn't want to see his favorite actor to support him.

Makes sense in hypocritical way that only you can do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom