• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Are celestial a thing in Marvel - more than just Ego, and are we expecting to see more of them in future movies? Wondering if Star lord might still have some latent powers too

There was a celestial using the orb when the collector explained the infinity stones, Knowhere itself is the head of a celestial too.
Considering ego is not a celestial in the comcis, they can do whatever they want for future movies.

RalchAC

Which name did they use for the Taserface gag in English?
Watched it dubbed and found that part hilarious. They used a regional meme that took the whole audience by surprise.

Which dub did you watch? I watched the Spanish (Spain) dub and the whole scene with Rocket calling Taserface "caracalambre" was absolutely hilarious.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Small detail but when Stan was talking to the Watchers I think he says something about being a mail man, that could be a reference to his Fantastic Four cameo.

Are you Tony Stank?
are_you_tony_stank__by_jasonpictures-da3hivj.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a picture of Ego face around? I completely missed that image, apparently.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The young Kurt Russel was really well done I thought.

I agree but at this point I am a bit annoyed that they start every movie with "xx years ago!" just to have a explanation to brag with the technology.
And yeah, the scenes most the time also serve the story but still.

I don't know if this is the OT OT (with marked spoiler discussion) or the spoiler thread. If either, that title needs to be changed. I just want to partake in pre-release discussion sans spoilers and this thread is both deceiving and tempting.

AndersK

How did all that stuff happen on earth in 2014 (blue goo whatever it was stuff) and it never gets referenced in any other MCU stuff?

I believe James Gunn simply decided he didn't care.

A more convoluted take would be that a localized blue blop killing dozens didn't need the Avengers attention. I woould have liked to see someone on the scene, but i dont blame them for not doing it. Maybe everyone was in Sokovia y'know?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Except for the part where he murders the Ravagers and the movie tries to tell us that this is awesome.
I enjoyed his other scenes though. They expanded his character in a nice way.

You mean the same Ravagers who were pushing those who didn't mutiny out of the fucking airlock, in front of Yondu, one by one?

I'd say they got let off lightly. Even by MCU standards, laughing as people die drifting in space and making people WATCH that shit before sending those people out to drift in space is cold fucking blooded.

Also, My Sweet Lord being used for the trip across Ego... man, that is perfection music wise.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Except for the part where he murders the Ravagers and the movie tries to tell us that this is awesome.

You're forgetting that the ravagers killed every single person that backed yondu.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
DeathyBoy has a point. Would have cared if they wouldnt have murdered his friends in the most crulest way

El Topo

You mean the same Ravagers who were pushing those who didn't mutiny out of the fucking airlock, in front of Yondu, one by one?

That doesn't make it any less creepy to portray their needless slaughter as a fun romp.

You're forgetting that the ravagers killed every single person that backed yondu.

I'm not forgetting that. It has no relevance whatsoever to the mass murder. Them being psychopaths and criminals doesn't make their murder okay.
This isn't a big complaint, it didn't ruin the movie for me or anything like that, but it *did* stand out in an otherwise great movie.

Ithil

Loved it. Better than the first one for me - I found the first one difficult to follow in terms of the main plot.

This one has gods, great chemistry,and genuine emotion - cried a little bit at the end when the blue guy was carrying Chris Pratt and called him his son. But then I am very weak to father/son tearjerky stuff in movies. Plus Cat Stevens Father and Son :_;

Have no idea if the post credits scene with Adam is a thing or not - usually those things are aimed at people more familiar with the source material

Are celestial a thing in Marvel - more than just Ego, and are we expecting to see more of them in future movies? Wondering if Star lord might still have some latent powers too
They showed a celestial in the first film's explanation of the Infinity Stones

celestial.jpg

You can assume Ego's form of a brain that manipulated matter around it is an usual one for the MCU celestials (he isn't one in the comics, that was a change).

The Kree

Banned
Ya know, I'd be down for James Gunn taking on Fantastic Four.

It seems really obvious at this point, doesn't it.

They showed a celestial in the first film's explanation of the Infinity Stones

celestial.jpg

You can assume Ego's form of a brain that manipulated matter around it is an usual one for the MCU celestials (he isn't one in the comics, that was a change).

Knowhere was also the head of a dead Celestial.

I would probably agree about Yondu/Rocket's escape. It was the main part of the film that felt like a misstep to me, a bit too long and played for laughs when what was on screen was pretty brutal. But like he says while Yondu may be as pretty as an Angel he sure as hell ain't one.

Even the bit where Groot helps them escape while very funny (the thumb!) was dragged out a bit too long.

Ithil

How did all that stuff happen on earth in 2014 (blue goo whatever it was stuff) and it never gets referenced in any other MCU stuff?

The actual explanation is that Gunn didn't decide to set the sequel only a couple of months after the first one until he was well into writing the script
But you can explain it away in-universe by noting it only destroyed a city block or so and it appeared no one was killed, and it was over in two quick bursts in probably 15 minutes in real time, so it ended up being a minor incident given the other shit that happened in 2014 MCU (like all the stuff with SHIELD and HYDRA in The Winter Soldier).

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
You're right, they should've asked the ravagers nicely if they could escape, never mind the fact that rocket had a huge bounty on his head.
They'd surely get away if they didn't "needlessly" killed anyone.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That doesn't make it any less creepy to portray their needless slaughter as a fun romp.

I'm not forgetting that. It has no relevance whatsoever to the mass murder. Them being psychopaths and criminals doesn't make their murder okay.
This isn't a big complaint, it didn't ruin the movie for me or anything like that, but it *did* stand out in an otherwise great movie.

So did you feel the same way when Groot smashes Ronan's soldiers against a wall repeatedly? Or Yondu killing more troops with his arrow? Or Rocket using his Loony Tunes traps to repeatedly smash Ravagers face first against the ground?

I mean, Gunn's not exactly shied away from B-Movie 'people are dying but it's cool' moments.

Ithil

The gimmick is meant to be they're anti-heroes or criminals who are also heroes, particularly Yondu at least in the films, them mowing down lots of bad guys in cool ways is not out of odds with the tone of the rest of the GOTG films, they've done it several times.

Though it is funny how much more morally questionable they are as anti-heroes than the "we're bad guys everyone! we are the bad guys! do you get that? we stole a handbag!" Suicide Squad film team.

Khaz

re: the mailman

I was tricked into watching the French dub, and in there he explicitely says he was working "for Federal Express", which I thought was weird because I don't think anyone use that old name any more. So, no company name in the original script?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I liked how TaserFace looked like a Klingon

re: the mailman

I was tricked into watching the French dub, and in there he explicitely says he was working "for Federal Express", which I thought was weird because I don't think anyone use that old name any more. So, no company name in the original script?
It was FedEx in the german version.
Just fore more comparisons.

AndersK

The gimmick is meant to be they're anti-heroes or criminals who are also heroes, particularly Yondu at least in the films, them mowing down lots of bad guys in cool ways is not out of odds with the tone of the rest of the GOTG films, they've done it several times.

Though it is funny how much more morally questionable they are as anti-heroes than the "we're bad guys everyone! we are the bad guys! do you get that? we stole a handbag!" Suicide Squad film team.

I just...Suicide Squad, man. I fucking loved the concept. Really inept work on almost all fronts. I still don't get how that was botched so completely.

El Topo

So did you feel the same way when Groot smashes Ronan's soldiers against a wall repeatedly? Or Yondu killing more troops with his arrow? Or Rocket using his Loony Tunes traps to repeatedly smash Ravagers face first against the ground?

First, the soldiers looked only vaguely humanoid, almost faceless, not to mention we barely get to see them. Given the suicide maneuver, I'm not even sure how conscious they are. Second, the context of the violence is entirely different, namely it is an immediate combat situation (with the fate of billions at stake). Third, violence (e.g. the gravity trap) is one thing, murder is another issue. Fourth, the scenes from the first movie are presented entirely differently. I don't think this is a gigantic issue, I'm just pointing out that it's very unfortunate.

Ithil

I just found out that Gunn wrote the film under the impression that Ego's film rights were owned by Marvel and didn't find out til the film was fully formed in writing he was under the F4 rights at Fox. There was no backup option, the film was based around Ego specifically, so they did the weirdest trade ever with Fox where they got Ego's rights in exchange for Fox being allowed to change Negasonic Teenage Warhead's powers in Deadpool.

Imagine that board meeting, with people having to write this stuff down in legal terms.

stan-lee-fantastic-four-cameo.jpg

That he's telling it to the Watchers sorta implies they got F4 back. The reference seems like an obvious tease.

I like the idea that Stan Lee is a transdimensional between travelling between the different movie pocket universes.

Obviously something they can just say. But if they hint at it then thats real cool and stupid.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just found out that Gunn wrote the film under the impression that Ego's film rights were owned by Marvel and didn't find out til the film was fully formed in writing he was under the F4 rights at Fox. There was no backup option, the film was based around Ego specifically, so they did the weirdest trade ever with Fox where they got Ego's rights in exchange for Fox being allowed to change Negasonic Teenage Warhead's powers in Deadpool.

Imagine that board meeting, with people having to write this stuff down in legal terms.
Stop spreading Fake News, Constantine Film is the owner of the F4 rights

Sadist

Lol what

Especially weird when you keep in mind that NSTW only appeared in what, three X-Men stories and very briefly? Which is funny because I read two of those: New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men. But I have to be really honest, I think I've only read two books had Ego: one of them being Marvel Zombies 2 where he gets devoured by Stark, Spidey, Logan, Hulk, Pym and Cage.

Ithil

Lol what

Especially weird when you keep in mind that NSTW only appeared in what, three X-Men stories and very briefly? Which is funny because I read two of those: New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men. But I have to be really honest, I think I've only read two books had Ego: one of them being Marvel Zombies 2 where he gets devoured by Stark, Spidey, Logan, Hulk, Pym and Cage.

Well for Deadpool what they really only wanted was the name Negasonic Teenage Warhead, which they loved and felt they had to get in the film no matter what. Originally they had Cannonball in the film instead, but they replaced him with NSTW while keeping the same powers, instead of the ones she had in the comics.

Still, it is a very strange trade for two companies to make.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well for Deadpool what they really only wanted was the name Negasonic Teenage Warhead, which they loved and felt they had to get in the film no matter what. Originally they had Cannonball in the film instead, but they replaced him with NSTW while keeping the same powers, instead of the ones she had in the comics.

Still, it is a very strange trade for two companies to make.
That trade didnt happened anyway. Fox doesnt own the Fantastic Four rights. How would they be able to trade with licences they do not own?

Sadist

When did the rights land at Constatine? Didn't hear anything about it.

Edit: oh, I had no idea. I thought those rights were at Fox. The more you know. I did know about Resident Evil being owned by ghem btw.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
When did the rights land at Constatine? Didn't hear anything about it.
Do you remember the 90s Fantastic Four movie that was never released.
Before that one. That Fox is the owner is a fake News that get spread because nobody cares to make good journalism.

Sony also doesnt own the Resident Evil rights. Constantin does.

They make deals with big american studios because even the biggest german movie studios cant compete when it comes to big stuff like this.

Top Bottom