• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Ultra Street Fighter II outsold Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite first week in the UK

Eolz

Same thing was said regarding Marvel, when there's a will...

Tatsunoko had an event in Japan last April and they said the are still open for the idea as they are "in good terms" with Capcom.

They even had characters popularity poll:

https://twitter.com/tatsunoko_pro/status/856446282159734784

Damn, didn't know that!
Wish it would happen on one hand, but on the other hand, after Capcom's last fighting games... Isn't the director of TvC working at SNK now too?

Neonep

MvC:I selling worse than goddamn USF2 in one of Nintendo's weakest territories is insane. That is some Yamcha getting killed by a Saibaman levels of pathetic. They honestly deserve this after how poorly handled this game was. The conspicuous lack of marketing, PSABR-levels of UI failure, lifeless voice acting, and poor 3D models did not help this game's case. What's worse is that they did this in a year packed with great games, and when their competition is putting out things like Revelator, Injustice 2, DBF, etc...

I really hope for Capcom's sake that Monster Hunter World sells really well because the last few years after been too kind to them.

The fact that Injustice 2 & Tekken 7 look the way they did and DBFZ was announced and shown made MVC:I look bad.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Obviously. But please don't tell me that thats somehow stopping you from liking the game. It's not that bad.

Sadly, it lessened my excitement for the game and my gaming budget is lower these days so yeah, MvCI didnt make the cut, maybe in a few months.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The last new Capcom fighting game that wasn't a PR disaster was ... SF4 Arcade Edition? In 2011?

Your memory must be a little hazy, let me remind you:

UMvC3 releasing 9 months after MvC3 got huge backlash.

SFxT was universally reviled for its on disc DLC, pay to win gems, and terrible game balance.

SFV was massacred at launch and never really recovered from the initial damage.

Edit: whoops misread your post. My bad

WestEgg

Both of them are probably more recognizable than Arthur, Pheonix Wright, Strider, Firebrand, Morrigan, Hagger, Jedah, and Spencer.

Surely Classic Mega Man is more recognizable than X, Zero, and probably any other Capcom character with the possible exception of Ryu and Chun-Li. If they just want to put their most iconic feet forward, why doesn't he get a slot?

SFxT was universally reviled for its on disc DLC, pay to win gems, and terrible game balance.

Did you read that post wrong, or...?

Still don't know what they were thinking choosing fucking Firebrand or Nemesis over basically another other Capcom vet. Pretty sure those 2 were like the least fanservice characters you could have gone with. I mean, they can't even fucking talk so you even miss out on any cool character interactions. I guarantee if they were replaced with Ammy, Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe, or another rep that the rooster will be a lot better recieved.

More people remember Nemesis as that zombie from RE than Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe. Firebrand I will agree should have been replaced by someone else.

Neonep

More people remember Nemesis as that zombie from RE than Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe. Firebrand I will agree should have been replaced by someone else.

Vergil, the best and most popular character Capcom has made since 2005 was left out. WHAT A FUCKING SHAME. Whoever ok'ed that deserves to be fired.

Come on. Capcom gets so much s*** from Switch enthusiasts because none had a better chance to give decent early support for minimal risk than them. None.

Two retro collections coming that they could have gotten running on the system for peanuts!? Nope. Wonder Boy Switch outsold all other versions, combined. I hope that that hurt at Capcom corporate. Even if Capcom was projecting a Wii U tier flop, there was no reason to skip it, the NES ROMs collection would have outsold the XB1 version no problem.

A 3DS up port of a million selling franchise on Nintendo's systems, one that they had already running on the system for one market, mostly localized and would instantly become the biggest third party game on the system for the first half of the year? Nope. Repeated many times over, to make it clear, Nope. "But please be exited for the game that its releasing on everything but!".

So, what they had for the system? USFII? The game they admitted to be a re-release of a $15 XBLA game for $40, and even went on sale for $3 during the launch week to make the message clear? They had that, and, as per their financial briefing, saved their hides during the quarter. There's that.

I'm sure Capcom learned the lesson, right? Look, they announced a very late port of two last gen games, that came for 3DS, Wii U and even Vita! Exciting! Why announce it as a footnote on a twitter of all places and without any media? Almost as if it is a rush project done to calm investors.

But they just missed the start, right? Capcom is sure to be ramping up Switch development as we speak! Oh, another announcement! A beloved Zelda-inspired game coming at the end of the year! And we even got a trailer, unlike their Switch games that are releasing earlier! Looks like a perfect match for the system and I'm sure Capcom doesn't want to repeat a collections scenario! Wait... not even at a later date statement? A retro Zelda-like not coming to the console that bought Ocean Horn for $15 in 2017!?

But the games are coming! Undetermined titles coming at undetermined dates. They can't tell us what they are, because of reasons. But they are coming...

exactly how I feel
brilliant post

Vergil, the best and most popular character Capcom has made since 2005 was left out. WHAT A FUCKING SHAME. Whoever ok'ed that deserves to be fired.

They need to sell some reused assets as DLC after all. And they probably honestly are just trying to figure out how to butcher his look.

potential customers apparently do.

Who are these potential customers? This game was always gonna sell like this, especially with little to no marketing. I hated the past titles but I love this one, do I count?

There's a whole lot of factors that go into these sales. (Bad) timing, stacked year full of games, marketing, competition, etc. I'm not making excuses for this game but to blame it on "presentation" is weak af.

Tekken usually sells a shit ton and this last one didn't so apparently that tells me that the climate in which this genre sits is changing.

As good as games like GGrev2 is, what is it's reason for not selling like injustice? It ain't presentation! It's not no story mode or bad net code.. damn sure ain't gameplay. So what is it?

Before the enclosed sales it was a Disney game, after its Cacpcom 😂

I'm sorry, but when it comes to fighters I get a lil nuts. Forgive me

I wonder if there's a possibility of us getting Nero instead of Vergil...

probably not

IMO, MVC:i is amazing. Yea, the presentation could have been better but again, as long as it functional who gives a shit?

A lot of people obviously. Presentation is probably one of the big reasons MK9 & X and Injustice 2 did so well.

MvC:I just looks laughably bad in comparison. That isn't to say it's a bad game, but if I was a more casual gamer who knew nothing about the series and saw this for example:

marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-character-roster-leak.jpg

I wouldn't even give the game a second thought.

Garlador

Why on earth is Capcom so bad at something they should be so GOOD at? It's almost always self-sabotage.

I don't regret buying Ultra Street Fighter 2 at all. My brothers always ask to play it when they come over.
I might buy Marvel vs Capcom on Steam but it's getting tempting to wait for a sale now that I hear it's bombing... Plus I'm not crazy about the art style. What is the general GAF concensus about the game play?

Snakeyes

Namco? Could work. I'd even say SNK if they were in way better shape and had better 3D artists.
Some of their IPs wouldn't work as exclusives to be honest, but what's the issue with Nintendo?
Exclusivity aside, there's no issue. Out of all three platform holders, Nintendo are the most likely to deliver a quality Street Fighter game due to their arcadey pedigree and internal (or closely related) talent. At least two of their lead staff (Sakurai, Yabuki) played the older SFs extensively and eventually created their own quality competitive fighters. Some people just have this weird notion of fighting games not being a good fit for Nintendo hardware despite Street Fighter hitting its apex in popularity on the SNES and Smash Bros' recent success. You could even include Pokken and ARMS in there as both have sold over a million on a single platform, which is fairly rare for a Japanese fighter in the past few years.

Online is the only real concern with Nintendo, but ARMS reportedly has very good netcode, so a hypothetical mainline SF would probably get the same treatment.

Having said that, I would rather have Street Fighter not be tied to any platform in particular.

MrMephistoX

I don't regret buying Ultra Street Fighter 2 at all. My brothers always ask to play it when they come over.
I might buy Marvel vs Capcom on Steam but it's getting tempting to wait for a sale now that I hear it's bombing... Plus I'm not crazy about the art style. What is the general GAF concensus about the game play?

General consensus on the gameplay is that it's great fun but the presentation of the single player and UI sucks. It's a great game but they really shouldn't have released that Story Demo since it was such a poor representation of the final product.

It's the best playing Marvel game. Active tag when you learn it is the greatest thing ever.

probably not

A lot of people obviously. Presentation is probably one of the big reasons MK9 & X and Injustice 2 did so well.

MvC:I just looks laughably bad in comparison. That isn't to say it's a bad game, but if I was a more casual gamer who knew nothing about the series and saw this for example:

you're using a crappy photoshop as your example?

They aren't talking about the gameplay cause it's dope. Even with the weak roster it's fun as hell. I don't even think it's weak anymore. Just have to play it.

It's really nobody's fault but Capcpom's.

I still am interested in the game and all, especially after watching all the craziness at SCR last night, but boy is the game rife with disappointing qualities.

Ok?I didn't say USF2 didn't receive any criticism but let's not pretend it was anywhere near the backlash MvCI received. USF2 also had a much shorter marketing cycle, Marvel was getting shitted on for months. Of course it was mostly deserved, but this game didn't have a chance.
USF2 was and is an easy target even for people who don't buy or play fighting games, though. Most of the people complaining about MvCI are fighting game fans, whereas anyone could point and laugh at that $40 pricetag

jett

D-Member

probably not

That's not even the real character select screen.

And since when has anyone even given a shit about the character select screen in a fighting game. This is the bitch eating crackers meme going super saiyan.

And since when has anyone even given a shit about the character select screen in a fighting game. This is the bitch eating crackers meme going super saiyan.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale is kind of still made fun of for this to this day.

N21

There's no one platform that is dragging MvC:I down, the game is paying for Capcom's past actions. A shame as well, graphics aside, I've heard good things about Infinite.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The presentation is a big part of it, but VERY much this.

Yup.

Though there's quite a few reasons I skipped Infinite, one of the biggest was how fucked over I felt with Marvel 3 and the insane turn around for Ultimate. People don't forget the past.

Zetta

There's no one platform that is dragging MvC:I down, the game is paying for Capcom's past actions. A shame as well, graphics aside, I've heard good things about Infinite.

I wholeheartedly agree, SFV hurt Capcom with this launch and tbh is one of the reason I'm not getting this anytime soon.

Yup.

Though there's quite a few reasons I skipped Infinite, one of the biggest was how fucked over I felt with Marvel 3 and the insane turn around for Ultimate. People don't forget the past.
People forget a lot of things but Capcom is something no one forgets.
Did the game have presentation issues? I always thought that the game would suffer due to Capcom's past actions. Marvel restricting their character side didn't help as much.
At first glance it visually looks bland. No style. No character. Things get a little better in motion but the game does not make a good first impression.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Did the game have presentation issues? I always thought that the game would suffer due to Capcom's past actions. Marvel restricting their character side didn't help as much.

IMO, the roster's selection should be part of the presentation. If you judged MVCI's roster alone without perspective of previous titles, it's fine. It's not amazing but it's diverse and an okay mix of 30 characters. But compared to the likes of UMVC3, MVC2 or even MVC1 is where the sting sets in.

E3 is where the presentation issues really began to hit hard. To summarize, MVCI focused so much on the story mode between marketing, demos, trailers, and ended up being one of the weakest aspects of the final game.

I have high standards for character select screens you see

RRockman

Banned

you're using a crappy photoshop as your example?

Are you guys being willfully ignorant or something? I went and looked up streams just to see what the actual character select screen looked liked and it is just as bad. And while character select screens are not the end all be all when it comes to good presentation, any fighter with effort put into its presentation will NEVER skimp on the character select. Especially a Capcom Fighter at that!

MVCI

source: event hubs

UMVC3

MVC2

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I watched your story mode playthrough Max and you just sounded like you wanted to get it over with and just go back to playing VS mode.

It was so mediocre that it did turn me off from it.

It could have been worse, but I can't give it anything more than a 6/10 personal score. It's a functional story mode at best.

Sadly, MVCI won't be remembered as one of the best Capcom fighting games to play since CVS2, along with the most robust and well crafted online experiences in a Capcom fighting game ever. It will be remembered for the memes, unless they drastically turn something around graphically/roster wise and turn it into a platform. Hell, it worked for FFXIV.

N21

Well, you know. The character models.

Totally agree.

I wholeheartedly agree, SFV hurt Capcom with this launch and tbh is one of the reason I'm not getting this anytime soon.

I wouldn't be shocked if stores have it half price before Black Friday.

IMO, the roster's selection should be part of the presentation. If you judged MVCI's roster alone without perspective of previous titles, it's fine. It's not amazing but it's diverse and an okay mix of 30 characters. But compared to the likes of UMVC3, MVC2 or even MVC1 is where the sting sets in.

E3 is where the presentation issues really began to hit hard. To summarize, MVCI focused so much on the story mode between marketing, demos, trailers, and ended up being one of the weakest aspects of the final game.

Do you think we will receive any story mode update patches in the future?

probably not

How did you get venom already and wh... oh that's not a real screen shot? 😂

Listen here. You can have and keep MK and injustice, I'll stick to mvc and sfv. Can't stand that janky stick fighter juggling trash. My only fear is other companies will try and make fighters to be like those games.

Laughably bad? What the character select screen?? Lol

That is very ironic considering injustices gameplay is laughable.

Top Bottom