• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Awake sounds cool, and I hope it does well, but the asshole in me is looking forward to all the emo rage on TV blogs if it bombs as bad as I suspect it will.

Attractive, compassionate (and well known) lead. Interesting premise. Procedural element. Couple that with a good advertising campaign + NBC ratings (lol), and I suspect it'll do well. Not as well as Smash will do, but well enough for NBC and to keep it around for awards season.

There's a way to market show, absolutely. And even last year's train wreck (THE EVENT) shows they know how to market shows. Not to mention Greenblatt fucking loves it and is going to push the shit out of it.

It was the best pilot of the year. Network or cable. Yes, I include Boss and Homeland in that statement. I know it's the asshole in you that's rooting for it to fail, but television needs more shows like Awake. There's no reason to root against it.

If I had to build a midseason schedule...

Mondays:

8 & 9 - The Voice
10 - Smash

Tuesdays:

8 & 9 - The Biggest Loser
10 - Parenthood

Wednesdays:

8 - Up All Night
8:30 - BFFs/Bent
9 - Fear Factor
10 - SVU

Thursdays:

8 - Community
8:30 - Parks or 30 Rock
9 - The Office
9:30 - Whitney/30 Rock or Whitney/Parks
10 - Awake

Fridays:

8 - Depends on Chuck
9 - Depends on Grimm
10 - Dateline

Brian Williams in the wings. Probably on Fridays because of Chuck and Grimm.

Everyone should be rooting for BFFs and Awake.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
xxracerxx said:
Any show that takes place in Portland, OR is cancelled. :(

Oh and Supernatural, don't you go anywhere please.
Probably because most Portlanders are shitty self-entitled douchebags. I love this city but I fucking hate the people that live here.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
WinoMcCougarstein said:
Probably because most Portlanders are shitty self-entitled douchebags. I love this city but I fucking hate the people that live here.
Haha, fair enough.

Stumpokapow said:
Why do they only care about 18-49 year olds? Because advertisers only want to pay for 18-49 year olds.

Thats not true at all. CBS is pretty damn happy being the old people network, and shows like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune get along fine with 95% of their ads being old people medicine.

What I dont get is how badly they handled the digital transition. Hulu came along. At first, only members could watch. They asked for age, sex and some other questions.

AKA: marketing gold.

....but now they dont require you to log in to watch. So they dont have a clue whos watching.

And they dont tailor ads. Remember tampax commercials during prison break?

WTF? Hulu knows im a 24 year old male. Even if I wasnt logged in Hulu knows 90% of prison break watchers were male. Show me an Axe commercial, even though I have no interest in that product. More lilely Ill buy it than a tampon.

ivysaur12

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Thats not true at all. CBS is pretty damn happy being the old people network, and shows like Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune get along fine with 95% of their ads being old people medicine.

What I dont get is how badly they handled the digital transition. Hulu came along. At first, only members could watch. They asked for age, sex and some other questions.

AKA: marketing gold.

....but now they dont require you to log in to watch. So they dont have a clue whos watching.

And they dont tailor ads. Remember tampax commercials during prison break?

WTF? Hulu knows im a 24 year old male. Even if I wasnt logged in Hulu knows 90% of prison break watchers were male. Show me an Axe commercial, even though I have no interest in that product. More lilely Ill buy it than a tampon.

There's a lot that could be done to make online viewing much more profitable and legitimate. It is not being done because advertisers, among other things.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
Also, some interesting NBC shit I learned last night that doesn't really mean much: Greenblatt hated Harry's Law last year, finds it acceptable this year. It'll stick around because they have too many holes in their schedule, but won't last past this year. Reconstruction failed because the director didn't really do a great job with the material. Katherine McPhee is really good in Smash. Awake is shooting episode four and every script has been "unbelievable" and keeps up the promise of the pilot. Not sure how it's going to do, but genius was thrown around a couple times when describing Kyle Killen. Probably a 10pm show. Everyone likes Greenblatt, excited about next year on NBC.

Up All Night gets progressively better. Spivey has a better feel on the show now.

I love all the insider tidbits you post. Have you heard anything about Chuck getting a back nine? I really really don't want that to happen, but with the state of things at NBC, I fear that it might be a possibility.

ivysaur12 said:
Everyone should be rooting for BFFs and Awake.

Why should I be rooting for BFFs and/or Bent? Are they supposed to be good, or is it just because good people are working on them? A little of column A and a little of column B?

ivysaur12 said:
There's a lot that could be done to make online viewing much more profitable and legitimate. It is not being done because advertisers, among other things.

But why are the tampax people content to throw their money away at male viewers and the axe people not jumping in on that?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jamesinclair said:

Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are first-run syndication, which doesn't have the same economics as primetime network TV. Daytime advertisers and local affiliates sell advertising separate from primetime national stuff. This thread, along with most discussion about TV, is referring to primetime.

Primetime TV advertisers sell A18-49. That's what the rates are set based on.

ivysaur12

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
I love all the insider tidbits you post. Have you heard anything about Chuck getting a back nine? I really really don't want that to happen, but with the state of things at NBC, I fear that it might be a possibility.

Why should I be rooting for BFFs and/or Bent? Are they supposed to be good, or is it just because good people are working on them? A little of column A and a little of column B?

Not a Chuck fan, so I don't really know. It might happen though, who knows. Let's see how it premieres.

BFFs is from a good team and is pretty funny. Bent is not funny.

jamesinclair said:
But why are the tampax people content to throw their money away at male viewers and the axe people not jumping in on that?

I don't know. I don't do ad sales, so I'm only speculating from things I've heard people talk about. I imagine once Nielsen finally makes a competent system for streaming, things might be different.

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are first-run syndication, which doesn't have the same economics as primetime network TV. Daytime advertisers and local affiliates sell advertising separate from primetime national stuff. This thread, along with most discussion about TV, is referring to primetime.

I'd be interested to see how the CW sells advertising, actually. The CW on the whole intrigues me.

I wonder if Sony would ever try to establish a network... TVStation.

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I'd be interested to see how the CW sells advertising, actually. The CW on the whole intrigues me.

I wonder if Sony would ever try to establish a network... TVStation.

Sony Almost Bought CBS back around 1996 but because of the FCC rules dealing with Foreign ownership - it never happened.

The only way Sony would ever do a station is via partnerships (say with Weigel)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ivysaur12 said:
I'd be interested to see how the CW sells advertising, actually.

It's been unclear to me if they're selling their adverts based on A18-49 or W18-34, but I think of their lineup only Gossip Girl has a significant level of disconnect between two last that I checked.

royalan said:
What are the chances of A Gifted Man getting canned? Please tell me good...

It's the lowest rated CBS show on the air right now by a huge margin. OTOH I don't pay enough attention to CBS' lineup to know what they've got in the wings for the slot. The last few years CBS has taken a while to cancel things (normally during November sweeps or so IIRC).

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
It's been unclear to me if they're selling their adverts based on A18-49 or W18-34, but I think of their lineup only Gossip Girl has a significant level of disconnect between two last that I checked.

It's the lowest rated CBS show on the air right now by a huge margin. OTOH I don't pay enough attention to CBS' lineup to know what they've got in the wings for the slot. The last few years CBS has taken a while to cancel things (normally during November sweeps or so IIRC).

Right, I'm not sure. They officially target the W18-34, so I would assume that's what they sold on. I also don't know enough about differences in ad revenues of different demographics to see if it actually would make a difference.

CBS has no dramas in the wings right now except for The 2-2, which is not ready. They made a huge mistake canceling Ghost Whisperer. If it grows, it might have a chance to get a back 9, but there's almost no chance it'll get anything past its first year.

Novid said:
Sony Almost Bought CBS back around 1996 but because of the FCC rules dealing with Foreign ownership - it never happened.

The only way Sony would ever do a station is via partnerships (say with Weigel)

Forgot about that. It's still an avenue they should consider.

Novid

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

People get very easily confused on who owns what stump... Those two shows are done by CBS TV Distro (Based in New York) and Sony TV. Both shows (and a majority of every single live action show) was done by KingWorld (which CBS Bought back in the 2000's.) The Local Affiliates make a fuckton of money on these deals (once a first run series goes beyond 5 years its VERY hard to cancel.) but sadly in the last several years, have LOST twice the money in the Prime Time Side. Thats why there have been a overemphance on the Informersical. They used to go off the air around 12 eastern as late as 98 but as soon as these mega multimillion dollar shows came out (and the NFL deals, they cost way beyond anybody can pay back then its way worse now) i noticed they started to lose money.

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:

Dont get me started on the Ad Men. All I know is there split on two sides on the Kids Side of things. One is pro disney, the Other is Pro Nick. Any other Ad Men in that business are just selling stuff for the kick of it.

royalan

Stumpokapow said:

Thank God. I tried to give the show a chance because of the stellar cast. But really the show is awful. Just awful.

Only show that has managed to have a group of medical professionals working for pennies at an inner-city clinic vs. a wealthy doctor to the even wealthier who has only ever known privilege...and actually have the doctors to the poor come off looking like pricks.

Really. That is a feat.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
royalan said:
Thank God. I tried to give the show a chance because of the stellar cast. But really the show is awful. Just awful.

Only show that has managed to have a group of medical professionals working for pennies at an inner-city clinic vs. a wealthy doctor to the even wealthier who has only ever known privilege...and actually have the doctors to the poor come off looking like pricks.

Really. That is a feat.

And to think, some people were saying that it might be the new Good Wife. lolz

ivysaur12

Banned
royalan said:

Really. That is a feat.

It probably has one of the best primetime casts from this year.

But, yeah. I agree.

RatskyWatsky said:
And to think, some people were saying that it might be the new Good Wife . lolz

It was a good, if oddly shot, pilot.

Novid

Banned
royalan said:

Really. That is a feat.

There is the major problem with all of the CBS scripts (even Good Wife suffers from this) - 2 Broke Girls is the darkest Comedy CBS has done in a long time, but everything felt just off in the pilot. The script was "fixed" so that the one-liners were made importaint. Fox didnt do that with New Girl and the script (despite its flaws) flowed.

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Forgot about that. It's still an avenue they should consider.

I dont know how the fuck they would even pull it off. They will have to make a whole lot of conssessions.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Can someone explain to me who at NBC thought a police procedural based on fairy tales was a good idea? Was this the same guy who thought that The Playboy Club was a good idea, too?

ivysaur12

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
Can someone explain to me who at NBC thought a police procedural based on fairy tales was a good idea? Was this the same guy who thought that The Playboy Club was a good idea, too?

It's not necessarily a bad idea - the show's from the creators of Angel. It could be a nice mid 2s drama given the right timeslot and promotion.

If Castle maintains its viewership (which has been pretty constant across all three full seasons thus far) will it basically continue for as long as the producers / actors want it to?

ivysaur12

Banned
blahblah...blah said:
If Castle maintains its viewership (which has been pretty constant across all three full seasons thus far) will it basically continue for as long as the producers / actors want it to?

At this point, production for Castle pretty much pays for itself because of syndication. So, yeah. There's no incentive to stop at this point because they already have a sweet syndication deal and will make more money the longer the show goes on.

Once the cast/crew gets tired, cost of actors becomes to high, depleted viewership, etc., the show will be retired. But everyone involved will be set for a long time.

Messi

planar1280 said:
how is 2 broke girls doing so well. Worst comedy show I have seen in sges

kat_dennings_big_boobs_at_the_thor_premiere.jpg

Maybe?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RatskyWatsky said:
I keep reading about "script commitment plus penalty". What does the 'plus penalty' mean?

even if the shows aren't produced, they're still paid a fee, which insulates the writer/creator/whatever from risk if the shows are not produced AND increases the likelihood that they will be by virtue of lowering the marginal cost of production versus non-production

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Stumpokapow said:
even if the shows aren't produced, they're still paid a fee, which insulates the writer/creator/whatever from risk if the shows are not produced AND increases the likelihood that they will be by virtue of lowering the marginal cost of production versus non-production

That makes sense. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom